The Student Room Group

Houlihan Lokey M&A Summer Analyst

Has anyone heard back from Houlihan Lokey for a summer financial analyst position? What are their interviews like, I heard they are quite technical. Anyone pls??? Also I have read this http://www.fins.com/Finance/Articles/SB129597374071479425/Speed-Dating-With-Houlihan-Lokey
Reply 1
Original post by manda01
Has anyone heard back from Houlihan Lokey for a summer financial analyst position? What are their interviews like, I heard they are quite technical. Anyone pls??? Also I have read this http://www.fins.com/Finance/Articles/SB129597374071479425/Speed-Dating-With-Houlihan-Lokey

When did you apply manda01? Considering also applying there. I have heard that Houlihan is up-and-coming in Europe and the brand name is growing. I tried to look here http://www.hl.com/uk/careers.aspx but there is nothing about their interviews I'm afraid. I am more interested in MM M&A boutiques and smaller investment banks to have a better exposure to deals and also because of heir sole focus on advisory. Good luck
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I heard that they are quite technical at Houlihan Lokey... some say the most technical and difficult interviews out there and that they are even more selective than Greenhill, so quite scared.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey guys,

I've also applied to Houlihan, but haven't heard back yet, but I've interviewed through the Cornell Partnership for Greenhill, first round with Lazard and got to the intermediate round stage for PWP so have had some experience interviewing with boutiques and I found that PWP was brutal, Lazard was almost as hard and after those two Greenhill was fairly straightforward, but still quite technical. Essentially they want to know that you have a solid grasp of a DCF (if you don't then you may as well not show up) and also some other standard valuation techniques (EV multiples, asset valuations, P/E multiples and most importantly that you have an idea of their relative strengths and weaknesses). Beyond that you'll get some brainteasers (some mentalist at PWP gave me a question I was later told was in a STEP 3 paper... that was tricky), mostly numerical ones, they may ask you a random maths question on the spot (e.g. 3^(6), don't worry if you can't do it instantly, but just show them ur thinking and don't be too slow!). They also want to see that you've researched the company thoroughly, so have some past deals they've run to hand and memorise some details so you're set up to demonstrate that. Beyond that just make sure you come across confidently and don't overreach, they'll know if you're BSing. I hope that helps, I haven't managed to land an offer yet myself (after 40 applications, currently on 10 rejections and counting, but I've interviewed at a fair few places BB and MM), but from the feedback I've received this seems to be the way forward.

Good luck everyone :smile: :smile:
Original post by islami1991
Hey guys,

I've also applied to Houlihan, but haven't heard back yet, but I've interviewed through the Cornell Partnership for Greenhill, first round with Lazard and got to the intermediate round stage for PWP so have had some experience interviewing with boutiques and I found that PWP was brutal, Lazard was almost as hard and after those two Greenhill was fairly straightforward, but still quite technical. Essentially they want to know that you have a solid grasp of a DCF (if you don't then you may as well not show up) and also some other standard valuation techniques (EV multiples, asset valuations, P/E multiples and most importantly that you have an idea of their relative strengths and weaknesses). Beyond that you'll get some brainteasers (some mentalist at PWP gave me a question I was later told was in a STEP 3 paper... that was tricky), mostly numerical ones, they may ask you a random maths question on the spot (e.g. 3^(6), don't worry if you can't do it instantly, but just show them ur thinking and don't be too slow!). They also want to see that you've researched the company thoroughly, so have some past deals they've run to hand and memorise some details so you're set up to demonstrate that. Beyond that just make sure you come across confidently and don't overreach, they'll know if you're BSing. I hope that helps, I haven't managed to land an offer yet myself (after 40 applications, currently on 10 rejections and counting, but I've interviewed at a fair few places BB and MM), but from the feedback I've received this seems to be the way forward.

Same here ; ) Many thanks for the advice. I would really like to work for Houlihan or Greenhill. They seem awesome firms to work at. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by thegeniouc93
Same here ; ) Many thanks for the advice. I would really like to work for Houlihan or Greenhill. They seem awesome firms to work at. Good luck!

based on?
I have talked to ppl from both, attended a workshop and really liked the ppl..Also, I have researched and heard that both have a good corporate culture which is quite important to me and are quite entrepreneurial! I also like the fact that HL is not listed and remains private, which could be seen as a benefit in current times due to several reasons
Reply 7
Hey guys,

Hi Islami, do you know the mail or name of the guy that usually call people for interviews at PWP? When did you have that first round? I was called by him on Nov 12th to set up an interview but I was interning at that time and was not able to go there. He told me that he would have been in touch in december but I did not receive any phone call and, obv, they don't answer to email to the email address they provide on their website.
Reply 8
Original post by cruel3a
Hi Islami, do you know the mail or name of the guy that usually call people for interviews at PWP? When did you have that first round? I was called by him on Nov 12th to set up an interview but I was interning at that time and was not able to go there. He told me that he would have been in touch in december but I did not receive any phone call and, obv, they don't answer to email to the email address they provide on their website.

Hey Cruel3a,
The person who called me for the phone interview was an alumni from my uni so I think the person varies depending on your application demographic. I had my first round with them ages ago, around mid-October. I would recommend you call them, they're fairly responsive over the phone. But don't hold out on too much hope, they only take on a few people per year and I'm pretty sure they are fairly well into their recruitment process now.
Hope that helps
Reply 9
Thanks, I tried to called them twice on the number that I have but no one has been answering. Maybe I will try next week.
I'm pretty sure that they have completed the recruitment but I just wanted to check it...
Is this for a summer analyst position at PWP?
Reply 11
It was in my case yes...
Any news from Greenhill guys? @ cruel3a I would not call them too often, if I where you. You only annoy them. Have you emailed them already?
Reply 13
Summer here too. Well, they probably don't know who is calling. Anyway I don't think I'm gonna called them again. Yes, I emailed them but I'm not that sure that the email will be read since I guess they receive tons of mails asking similar things.
Reply 14
Nothing yet about Greenhill from Cornell, but they told me to wait til the end of January. I do have a few contact cards though which I might send off e-mails to...
Nothing yet about Greenhill from Cornell, but they told me to wait til the end of January. I do have a few contact cards though which I might send off e-mails to...

What do they mean with end of January? Until you know whether you got rejected or invited to an interview?
Reply 16
I've had my 1st round interview already, its whether I got rejected or through to the AC with Greenhill themselves.
I've had my 1st round interview already, its whether I got rejected or through to the AC with Greenhill themselves.

Did you finally hear back from Houlihan Lokey? Do they send out a rejection email at HL ?
Reply 18
Nothing yet on my end.
Same here. Do you think they send out a rejection email, or they simply do not get back to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending