The Student Room Group

Cambridge Graduate - Failing at Life! =/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QMHistoryguy
Alright! I'm not his best mate.... just posted a short message to somebody who was struggling. and how do you know his 'true character' love people who slag off anything to do with oxbridge, just because its to do with oxbridge.

I don't know the whole of his character. I only know the bits he posted in the OP.

I don't have any reason to slag off Oxbridge. Oxford was a marvellous experience. I am not quite as fulsome about my (somewhat atypical) Cambridge experience.
well, in fact, when i was looking at applying for entry to Yale graduate school a couple of years ago they had a list of accepted academic qualifications from the UK. Kingston (for instance, sorry to pick on it) wasn't listed. They simply did not recognise a degree from there. They requested a minimum 2:1 from most other universities, but Oxbridge graduates only needed a 3rd.

I should point out I was only refering to the guy who started this thread... But I do think Cambridge (even a 2:2) is very very impressive on a C.V...

The relevance? Applying to a university for further education is not the same as applying for a job requiring a 2:1 or above degree. Universities tend to favor Oxbridge graduates more but most employers won't make any exceptions for a 2:2 or below Oxbridge graduate. Employers are hiring people to make money for them after all, so there's no chance a 3rd or a 2:2 graduate will get accepted.
Original post by theamazingcookie
The relevance? Applying to a university for further education is not the same as applying for a job requiring a 2:1 or above degree. Universities tend to favor Oxbridge graduates more but most employers won't make any exceptions for a 2:2 or below Oxbridge graduate. Employers are hiring people to make money for them after all, so there's no chance a 3rd or a 2:2 graduate will get accepted.

I suppose I was just making the point that in certain situations a cambridge degree is more valuable than one from Kingston... didn't think that was especially controversial really.
Original post by nulli tertius
I don't know the whole of his character. I only know the bits he posted in the OP.

I don't have any reason to slag off Oxbridge. Oxford was a marvellous experience. I am not quite as fulsome about my (somewhat atypical) Cambridge experience.

Perhaps you should have gone to Kingston instead then...
Reply 104
well, in fact, when i was looking at applying for entry to Yale graduate school a couple of years ago they had a list of accepted academic qualifications from the UK. Kingston (for instance, sorry to pick on it) wasn't listed.

a) Yale is Yale
b) Just because it wasn't on the list doesn't mean they won't consider someone from there. The UK has lots of universities, they may just have not heard of it.
Reply 105
Original post by downthepan
Having worked in recruitment in the past I have seen applicants with a 1st from a lowly ranked university barely able to string a sentence together.

a 1st in what though? Art? It depends on the subject. I'm sure if someone got a 1st in physics they'd be pretty smart even if they did go to Kingston or whatever. I know a few people who've ended up at places like Kingston and Coventry with grades like AAD or ABE or whatever, the A being in their subject that they're studying, but just because they maybe had a bad day on the exam or something didn't obtain the best grade in one A Level thus didn't have enough UCAS points for their first choice. My friend who got ABE (I think their offer was ABB) had an A in English Lit, which is what they're reading, and yet the E was in Physics or something completely unrelated so they'd be perfectly capable of doing well in an English Lit course. Someone else could have got ABB but with that B in English, got into that uni because they technically got the grades, but ended up struggling more than my friend...
Reply 106
Yeh allow real life, were you winning at Cambridge is the Q?
Original post by keds1
a) Yale is Yale
b) Just because it wasn't on the list doesn't mean they won't consider someone from there. The UK has lots of universities, they may just have not heard of it.

Why make a list then? Regardless a Cambridge degree is vastly more valuable than one from a polytechnic.
Why make a list then? Regardless a Cambridge degree is vastly more valuable than one from a polytechnic.

The list means nothing...I was accepted to a top graduate programme in the US and my university wasn't listed. I had to select other and then put in the details manually.

Its probably just a list of places that people have applied from before...
Reply 109
Original post by ch0llima
:rofl: Arrogance at its finest. This whole post reflects an attitude problem and a sense of self entitlement just because you went to Cambridge; as much as it may hurt you to hear this, the "Oxbridge and set for life" ship sailed ages ago and has now been torpedoed, unless you are loaded and well connected in which case your degree doesn't even matter because you are usually guaranteed work through nepotism. Get used to it, and that goes for all of you Oxbridge quacks out there.

There are plenty of unemployed people with absolutely nothing who would kill to be in your position. £19k + £3k bonus isn't half bad considering how duff the job sounds, so I'd stick with it as a job's a job and at least you're getting paid - can you imagine being paralysed in academia again, being broke and chained down for the sake of qualifications with zilch guarantee of work at the end? Sounds awful, doesn't it?

Bottom line: you didn't put the effort in, and didn't do well. Nobody is responsible for this bar yourself, so take this on the chin and try to look ahead.

Really? I got the exact opposite impression.

It seems more like OP is depressed because they know they had every opportunity imaginable, and their parents paid school fees to help them succeed, yet they still messed up.
He makes no excuses for his degree classification other than the fact he chased after girls and parties, which is most likely true and patently his own fault.

If I am honest, it looks like you are reading into this what you want and expected to read. "Get used to it, and that goes for all of you Oxbridge quacks out there." reeks of a far worse attitude problem than the OP.

Bottom line: you didn't put the effort in, and didn't do well. Nobody is responsible for this bar yourself, so take this on the chin and try to look ahead."
Yes, he knows he didn't do well because he didn't put the effort in. Nor did he shift the blame on anyone else.
Taking it on the chin and looking ahead may be good advice, on the other hand, since there is not really much else he can do.
Reply 110
Original post by Quady
You can't know that in the next five years you won't let your exceptionally high academic standards slip as you prioritise other things.

:yep:

Speaking like a true boss :cool:
Original post by beefmaster
The list means nothing...I was accepted to a top graduate programme in the US and my university wasn't listed. I had to select other and then put in the details manually.

Its probably just a list of places that people have applied from before...

Sorry. you are completely right. kingston is highly respected and a degree from there is a million times more valuable than some ****ty certificate from a fusty old place like Cambridge.
Sorry. you are completely right. kingston is highly respected and a degree from there is a million times more valuable than some ****ty certificate from a fusty old place like Cambridge.

How is that in any way related to what I said?!

I said that the list you spoke of is meaningless...I didn't even comment on the universities you are talking about.
Reply 113
Original post by Anonymous
Ended up working with chavs, uneducated pricks, and wastemans
R

You were given so many advantages over most people, yet you still think less of people who weren't given half as much help as you. Your "chavs and uneducated" peers at your workplace have ended up at the same place as you, despite thousands of pounds being spent on your education and not theirs. Basically, you messed up and it's nobody's fault but your own. I can't really sympathise with you when you think you're better than people doing the exact same job as you, especially when you had so much more help than them.
Original post by beefmaster
How is that in any way related to what I said?!

I said that the list you spoke of is meaningless...I didn't even comment on the universities you are talking about.

Well I am not so sure the list is meaningless. At the very least it is not a good indicator for a university if has no recognition and certain places have not heard of it.

Besides this fella who started this thread should think **** you lot and realise that most people seeing Cambridge on a C.V if only a 2:2 will be impressed.
Original post by KCosmo
You were given so many advantages over most people, yet you still think less of people who weren't given half as much help as you. Your "chavs and uneducated" peers at your workplace have ended up at the same place as you, despite thousands of pounds being spent on your education and not theirs. Basically, you messed up and it's nobody's fault but your own. I can't really sympathise with you when you think you're better than people doing the exact same job as you, especially when you had so much more help than them.

The lad did not mess up. He received a respectable 2:2 from the worlds best university. We do not live in the C19. These chavs and uneducated have every opportunity that this guy did. You assume he had some kind of silver spoon in his mouth? I slept rough the night before my Cambridge interview... If I had got in does that make me a toff? No. The point he is making is valid. why should he work for minimum wage alongside people who have made any of the life achievements he has?
well, in fact, when i was looking at applying for entry to Yale graduate school a couple of years ago they had a list of accepted academic qualifications from the UK. Kingston (for instance, sorry to pick on it) wasn't listed. They simply did not recognise a degree from there. They requested a minimum 2:1 from most other universities, but Oxbridge graduates only needed a 3rd.

I should point out I was only refering to the guy who started this thread... But I do think Cambridge (even a 2:2) is very very impressive on a C.V...

Any links?
Original post by Fallen
Really? I got the exact opposite impression.

Good for you :congrats:

FYI, I have the grades for Cambridge but decided not to apply because I hated it after visiting. I had these opportunities too, I could have become an "Oxbridge quack" but I didn't and I'm glad I didn't. Yes, I know. Get your armour piercing ammo out and shoot me.

This sense of smug, ludicrous self-entitlement has infected almost everyone I know who has been to Oxbridge and I'm sorry to say that lifelong friendships have been damaged as a result. Admittedly, the OP is contrite and wishes things could turn out differently but I'll use my own self entitlement to stick the boot in.

If you have a problem with this, send it to me c/o /dev/null.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
Any links?

No sorry.
OP you seem like an arrogant nob really.
People with degrees from Cambridge cannot just expect to walk into a job with a starting wage of £30k + a year.

You didn't put the work in to your degree, and now you'll have to put the work in somewhere you don't want to be, that's life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending