Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Another jobless graduate

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellofeeva)
    Insurance, i still have a desire to have a career in accountancy in the future, but the more i learn about insurance, the more i change my mind. You're an accountant aren't you?
    at the moment im working as mortgage broker as i moved across the country because my girlfriend got her dream job but i think i will go accountant route later
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm close to giving up this whole graduate scheme malarkey, getting really fed up.

Graduated last summer with a 2:1 in Marketing, and im still in my part-time job on shocking hours and getting barely any money to survive every month.

Applied for numerous grad schemes with different levels of success. Still never been to an Assessment Centre, although i am on the "list" for 2 companies, who have been pissing me about with no information for months! I applied for both at the start of November and have still not received a date for the assessment centre or even if im gonna be invited. I've also got a couple of phone interviews and online tests to do for other companies but i've also just found out i've failed the most basic SHL test for a grad scheme. Feels like i've just been shunted back about 5 steps - really thought i should be nailing them by now.

I've also been to about half-a-dozen interviews since last summer, but just missed out on all of them. Also been applying to any old job just to get some money in on a full-time basis but even then i can still send out 10 applications every fortnight and still not hear back from any! Genuinely fed-up
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS89)
    I'm close to giving up this whole graduate scheme malarkey, getting really fed up.

Graduated last summer with a 2:1 in Marketing, and im still in my part-time job on shocking hours and getting barely any money to survive every month.

Applied for numerous grad schemes with different levels of success. Still never been to an Assessment Centre, although i am on the "list" for 2 companies, who have been pissing me about with no information for months! I applied for both at the start of November and have still not received a date for the assessment centre or even if im gonna be invited. I've also got a couple of phone interviews and online tests to do for other companies but i've also just found out i've failed the most basic SHL test for a grad scheme. Feels like i've just been shunted back about 5 steps - really thought i should be nailing them by now.

I've also been to about half-a-dozen interviews since last summer, but just missed out on all of them. Also been applying to any old job just to get some money in on a full-time basis but even then i can still send out 10 applications every fortnight and still not hear back from any! Genuinely fed-up
    Are the grad schemes you are applying to in marketing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    Are the grad schemes you are applying to in marketing?
    Not all of them, but most of them are looking for business degrees and to be honest (this might sound ridiculous) i'd rather work in something other than marketing when in a grad scheme
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS89)
    Not all of them, but most of them are looking for business degrees and to be honest (this might sound ridiculous) i'd rather work in something other than marketing when in a grad scheme
    Yeah, widening the net is a good idea. I was going to say that marketing is a vastly oversubscribed market that relies a lot on experience. Plus it less a graduate job and more an exec job, so the positions are even fewer! There are lots of general gradschemes from BAE Systems, to Cadbury and Toys R Us. The best thing to do is go on sites like milkround.com and apply for everything you can, whilst trying to gain as much work experience and skills in spare time. Most people are in this position, so drive and persistence is vital
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    Yeah, widening the net is a good idea. I was going to say that marketing is a vastly oversubscribed market that relies a lot on experience. Plus it less a graduate job and more an exec job, so the positions are even fewer! There are lots of general gradschemes from BAE Systems, to Cadbury and Toys R Us. The best thing to do is go on sites like milkround.com and apply for everything you can, whilst trying to gain as much work experience and skills in spare time. Most people are in this position, so drive and persistence is vital
    Yep, my confidence has been on a rollercoaster ride these last few months! It was actually BAE that i just failed the online test for. Although ive got to the final stages of 2 high quality grad programmes so i should be focusing on the positives of that
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutsman)
    Some of you are right sociopaths, sucking at mummy and daddy's teats, most graduates can't afford to do unpaid internships.
    Not everyone who does an internship has it funded by parents, what a massive assumption. Bore off you 'future genocide victim' and go post in the society section. :rolleyes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS89)
    Yep, my confidence has been on a rollercoaster ride these last few months! It was actually BAE that i just failed the online test for. Although ive got to the final stages of 2 high quality grad programmes so i should be focusing on the positives of that
    Yeah, the confidence thing is a big factor that the government are worried about concerning long term implications. The best thing to do is just stick at it and ask friends and family on areas you can improve (do a few mock interviews etc). You seem to have the right idea, it is just a matter of persistence and trying to maintain confidence (whilst picking up various tips along the way), even though it may seem hard
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procerus)
    at the moment im working as mortgage broker as i moved across the country because my girlfriend got her dream job but i think i will go accountant route later
    Good stuff mate, good luck with it all
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Erm, it's still a degree. How is this hard for people to understand? There are people who fail their degrees.

In those three years, you could have had cancer. Your parents may have died. You could have had a nervous breakdown, or battled mental illness. Getting a third doesn't = laziness. Stop generalising.
    ..pretty sure you can explain the circumstances to the employer if that were the case.

this thread is a perfect example of why not to go to university for the sake of going.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2cool)
    ..pretty sure you can explain the circumstances to the employer if that were the case.

this thread is a perfect example of why not to go to university for the sake of going.
    Employers don't care about excuses for failing. Everyone's got their story. It's a cut-throat world out there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physics Enemy)
    Employers don't care about excuses for failing. Everyone's got their story. It's a cut-throat world out there.
    I agree with this, but couldn't be bothered with the person i was quoting telling me i'm wrong
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    this may seem really unhelpful but its always an option, re-do univeristy be it in a new degree or the same one and try getting a better degree ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks to 6-9k fees i think redoing is unlikely

Its ironic, the situation is only getting worse, we have more student graduating each year and companies are not increasing intake (in fact they're either stagnant or decreasing). Wonder what will happen when these interviewers will retire and want their pensions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curious12)
    Thank you for all your advice. The good news (and surprising news) is that I am have been invited for a face to face interview! Apparently their is a written test involved, but I didn't get much info about the contents of it. TBH I didn't think I would get this far.

Also thanks yellofeeva and original_usernam for your advice.
    Please do not make silly errors like this during the test! Good luck though!

Also with others I have seen, I have noticed that the degrees you have done are in oversubscribed industries (accounting, marketing and law).

Is sage really not taught on an accounting degree course?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epica)
    Is sage really not taught on an accounting degree course?
    Not at my Uni.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by original_username)
    Not at my Uni.
    LOL. Proof that many degrees are scams these days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sage not taught on an accountancy course? what?

what uni is this?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astudentinneed)
    Sage not taught on an accountancy course? what?

what uni is this?
    Shef.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2cool)
    I agree with this, but couldn't be bothered with the person i was quoting telling me i'm wrong
    However, that modern western corporate attitude doesn't make the 'story' less valid. We're only humans after all, we're all very fallable.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 18, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.