The Student Room Group

Another jobless graduate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by yellofeeva
Insurance, i still have a desire to have a career in accountancy in the future, but the more i learn about insurance, the more i change my mind. You're an accountant aren't you?

at the moment im working as mortgage broker as i moved across the country because my girlfriend got her dream job but i think i will go accountant route later
Reply 61
I'm close to giving up this whole graduate scheme malarkey, getting really fed up.

Graduated last summer with a 2:1 in Marketing, and im still in my part-time job on shocking hours and getting barely any money to survive every month.

Applied for numerous grad schemes with different levels of success. Still never been to an Assessment Centre, although i am on the "list" for 2 companies, who have been pissing me about with no information for months! I applied for both at the start of November and have still not received a date for the assessment centre or even if im gonna be invited. I've also got a couple of phone interviews and online tests to do for other companies but i've also just found out i've failed the most basic SHL test for a grad scheme. Feels like i've just been shunted back about 5 steps - really thought i should be nailing them by now.

I've also been to about half-a-dozen interviews since last summer, but just missed out on all of them. Also been applying to any old job just to get some money in on a full-time basis but even then i can still send out 10 applications every fortnight and still not hear back from any! Genuinely fed-up :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by RS89
I'm close to giving up this whole graduate scheme malarkey, getting really fed up.

Graduated last summer with a 2:1 in Marketing, and im still in my part-time job on shocking hours and getting barely any money to survive every month.

Applied for numerous grad schemes with different levels of success. Still never been to an Assessment Centre, although i am on the "list" for 2 companies, who have been pissing me about with no information for months! I applied for both at the start of November and have still not received a date for the assessment centre or even if im gonna be invited. I've also got a couple of phone interviews and online tests to do for other companies but i've also just found out i've failed the most basic SHL test for a grad scheme. Feels like i've just been shunted back about 5 steps - really thought i should be nailing them by now.

I've also been to about half-a-dozen interviews since last summer, but just missed out on all of them. Also been applying to any old job just to get some money in on a full-time basis but even then i can still send out 10 applications every fortnight and still not hear back from any! Genuinely fed-up :frown:

Are the grad schemes you are applying to in marketing?
Reply 63
Original post by ForKicks
Are the grad schemes you are applying to in marketing?

Not all of them, but most of them are looking for business degrees and to be honest (this might sound ridiculous) i'd rather work in something other than marketing when in a grad scheme
Reply 64
Original post by RS89
Not all of them, but most of them are looking for business degrees and to be honest (this might sound ridiculous) i'd rather work in something other than marketing when in a grad scheme

Yeah, widening the net is a good idea. I was going to say that marketing is a vastly oversubscribed market that relies a lot on experience. Plus it less a graduate job and more an exec job, so the positions are even fewer! There are lots of general gradschemes from BAE Systems, to Cadbury and Toys R Us. The best thing to do is go on sites like milkround.com and apply for everything you can, whilst trying to gain as much work experience and skills in spare time. Most people are in this position, so drive and persistence is vital :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by ForKicks
Yeah, widening the net is a good idea. I was going to say that marketing is a vastly oversubscribed market that relies a lot on experience. Plus it less a graduate job and more an exec job, so the positions are even fewer! There are lots of general gradschemes from BAE Systems, to Cadbury and Toys R Us. The best thing to do is go on sites like milkround.com and apply for everything you can, whilst trying to gain as much work experience and skills in spare time. Most people are in this position, so drive and persistence is vital :smile:

Yep, my confidence has been on a rollercoaster ride these last few months! It was actually BAE that i just failed the online test for. Although ive got to the final stages of 2 high quality grad programmes so i should be focusing on the positives of that
Reply 66
Original post by Gutsman
Some of you are right sociopaths, sucking at mummy and daddy's teats, most graduates can't afford to do unpaid internships.

Not everyone who does an internship has it funded by parents, what a massive assumption. Bore off you 'future genocide victim' and go post in the society section. :rolleyes:
Reply 67
Original post by RS89
Yep, my confidence has been on a rollercoaster ride these last few months! It was actually BAE that i just failed the online test for. Although ive got to the final stages of 2 high quality grad programmes so i should be focusing on the positives of that

Yeah, the confidence thing is a big factor that the government are worried about concerning long term implications. The best thing to do is just stick at it and ask friends and family on areas you can improve (do a few mock interviews etc). You seem to have the right idea, it is just a matter of persistence and trying to maintain confidence (whilst picking up various tips along the way), even though it may seem hard :smile:
Original post by Procerus
at the moment im working as mortgage broker as i moved across the country because my girlfriend got her dream job but i think i will go accountant route later

Good stuff mate, good luck with it all :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by Rant
Erm, it's still a degree. How is this hard for people to understand? There are people who fail their degrees.

In those three years, you could have had cancer. Your parents may have died. You could have had a nervous breakdown, or battled mental illness. Getting a third doesn't = laziness. Stop generalising.

..pretty sure you can explain the circumstances to the employer if that were the case.

this thread is a perfect example of why not to go to university for the sake of going.
Original post by 2cool
..pretty sure you can explain the circumstances to the employer if that were the case.

this thread is a perfect example of why not to go to university for the sake of going.

Employers don't care about excuses for failing. Everyone's got their story. It's a cut-throat world out there.
Reply 71
Original post by Physics Enemy
Employers don't care about excuses for failing. Everyone's got their story. It's a cut-throat world out there.

I agree with this, but couldn't be bothered with the person i was quoting telling me i'm wrong
Reply 72
this may seem really unhelpful but its always an option, re-do univeristy be it in a new degree or the same one and try getting a better degree ? :smile:
Reply 73
thanks to 6-9k fees i think redoing is unlikely

Its ironic, the situation is only getting worse, we have more student graduating each year and companies are not increasing intake (in fact they're either stagnant or decreasing). Wonder what will happen when these interviewers will retire and want their pensions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by curious12
Thank you for all your advice. The good news (and surprising news) is that I am have been invited for a face to face interview! Apparently their is a written test involved, but I didn't get much info about the contents of it. TBH I didn't think I would get this far.

Also thanks yellofeeva and original_usernam for your advice.

Please do not make silly errors like this during the test! Good luck though!

Also with others I have seen, I have noticed that the degrees you have done are in oversubscribed industries (accounting, marketing and law).

Is sage really not taught on an accounting degree course?
Original post by Epica

Is sage really not taught on an accounting degree course?

Not at my Uni.
Original post by original_username
Not at my Uni.

LOL. Proof that many degrees are scams these days.
Sage not taught on an accountancy course? what?

what uni is this?
Original post by Astudentinneed
Sage not taught on an accountancy course? what?

what uni is this?

Shef.
Original post by 2cool
I agree with this, but couldn't be bothered with the person i was quoting telling me i'm wrong

However, that modern western corporate attitude doesn't make the 'story' less valid. We're only humans after all, we're all very fallable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending