The Student Room Group

PhD in Economics indecision

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a PhD in Economics at a University (I wish to remain anonymous therefore I dont give the name) that has an average score on its rankings (around 50th place out of 130 universities).

This is my problem:

I obtained a scholarship (barely enough to meet ends) and started studying here last October. What mainly attracted me to this university was that my supervisor has supported me all along my application and now during my studies. Although he does not have a lot of expertise in the topic I am doing research on, he is very accessible.

I recently got offered a better scholarship (with enough money to really pay for living costs) from one of the top five Economics departments in the UK.

Should I leave the university I am currently studying at so that I can do the PhD at the better one, with a better scholarship?

Studying at a better university would increase my chances of obtaining a job in such a tight job market (for teachers and researchers). I would be able to concentrate on my studies and not worry about struggling with money with such a scholarship. But then, I dont know if it is common practice to switch from one university to another during a PhD, and if that will bring negative consequences.

If there is anyone out there with experience on these issues... your comments will be of great help.

Chris
Reply 1
in a word, yes, I would move to the better department. You can swap mid PhD a good friend of mine moved from Birmingham to Durham for her final year. I shouldn't think there would be any negative repercussions if i'm honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending