The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 1 January 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
yehh well least you know u were right lol whats easier for u, the particle stuff or electricity?? also whats your predicted grade?
Reply 181
Guys, can you just tell me whether I'm right or not?
1. Does more current flow through the component with less resistance, and more voltage goes to the component with more resistance?
2. Is voltage the same across parallel components, but different across series ones?
3. Is current the same across series components, but different across parallel ones?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I just want to make sure I get the basics. Uh, particle physics seems to be much easier that electricity stuff...
Original post by einstein2
yehh well least you know u were right lol whats easier for u, the particle stuff or electricity?? also whats your predicted grade?

I don't want to jinx myself (not saying hehe). I think it was an A/B.

Original post by Draggy
Guys, can you just tell me whether I'm right or not?
1. Does more current flow through the component with less resistance, and more voltage goes to the component with more resistance?
2. Is voltage the same across parallel components, but different across series ones?
3. Is current the same across series components, but different across parallel ones?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I just want to make sure I get the basics. Uh, particle physics seems to be much easier that electricity stuff...

Seems to be all correct.
Reply 183
Original post by Jammie Dodgers

Original post by Jammie Dodgers
I don't want to jinx myself (not saying hehe). I think it was an A/B.

Seems to be all correct.

fair enough lol, gd luck though :smile:
Original post by sharmine
Please could you PM me with a model answer it would be a great help. Thank you :biggrin:

Original post by anuradha_d
Can you send me this as well please?

Here's the model answer

In the photo-electric effect, electrons require energy to be released. They require a minimum energy (called the Work Function) to be released from the metal itself and then they need extra energy to move (Kinetic Energy). The electrons will be released with a range of Kinetic Energy (up to a maximum) because some of the initial KE will be lost through collisions inside the metal as the electron leaves.

According to Classical Physics, electrons should continuously absorb energy from the incident EM Radiation. Eventually, the electrons will have absorbed enough energy to leave. If the intensity of the incident EM Radiation is increased, then more energy is being supplied in a given period of time so the electrons would receive more energy and would have a higher Kinetic Energy (since the Work Function is constant).

This was not observed.

According to Quantum Physics, energy is absorbed in packets (quanta). Each electron can absorb 1 quanta of energy (a photon). If that photon contains enough energy (given by the equation E = hf) then the electron will have enough energy to leave the atom and leave instantly. If that photon doesn’t contain enough energy, then the electron will remain on the metal. The Maximum Kinetic Energy of the emitted electrons will depend on the Energy of the photon (since the KE is equal to the Energy of the photon minus the Work Function).

This is what was observed.
Original post by issyconnor
Here's the model answer

In the photo-electric effect, electrons require energy to be released. They require a minimum energy (called the Work Function) to be released from the metal itself and then they need extra energy to move (Kinetic Energy). The electrons will be released with a range of Kinetic Energy (up to a maximum) because some of the initial KE will be lost through collisions inside the metal as the electron leaves.

According to Classical Physics, electrons should continuously absorb energy from the incident EM Radiation. Eventually, the electrons will have absorbed enough energy to leave. If the intensity of the incident EM Radiation is increased, then more energy is being supplied in a given period of time so the electrons would receive more energy and would have a higher Kinetic Energy (since the Work Function is constant).

This was not observed.

According to Quantum Physics, energy is absorbed in packets (quanta). Each electron can absorb 1 quanta of energy (a photon). If that photon contains enough energy (given by the equation E = hf) then the electron will have enough energy to leave the atom and leave instantly. If that photon doesn’t contain enough energy, then the electron will remain on the metal. The Maximum Kinetic Energy of the emitted electrons will depend on the Energy of the photon (since the KE is equal to the Energy of the photon minus the Work Function).

Why thank you :biggrin:
Ok, so for one final time, lets make a list of all the possible six markers. Let me know what to add, I'll edit this post.
So:
1. Photoelectric effect:
Classical vs Quantum
Importance of Frequency
Descirbe the experiment
How does this prove that EM waves act like particles
Vacuum Photocell
Le Tubelight + dangers
How does UV paint on clothing shine
Banknotes, and how they work/how they show that some of the light escaping from a tubelight is still UV
Other practical applications

2. The De Broglie stuff
Descirbe and explain how the slit experiment shows that particles have a wavelength
Describe and explain De Broglie's view of particles
How does the electron diffration experiment prove that electrons have a wavelength

3. Electricity Shizzle (**add a circuit diagram)
Construct an experiment to find the resistance of a component X**
Construct an experiment to find the resistivity of a component X**
Construct an experiment to measure the internal resistance of a cell/battery**
Construct and experiment to see how temperature effects the resistance of a thermistor**
Construct an experiment to see how light effects the resistance of a LDR**
Draw the IV characteristics for a filament lamp, wire and diode/thermistor, and comment on the characteristics
Explain why the current rises sharply to a high value before falling to a steady value, and why a filament is more likely to fail when being switched on than at other times
What is the current in a computer on sleep mode being used for (not really a six marker at all, just thought i'd throw this in

4. Particles WOO
Discuss the structure of hadrons
Strong nuclear force
Weak nuclear force
PET scanner? Maybe
Cloud chamber

Anything else, beautiful Physicists?

EDIT: MAKE SURE TO MENTION PRECISION IN ALL EXPERIMENTS. ALSO REMEMBER, ALL ANSWERS SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THE SAME NUMBER FOR SIG FIG AS THE NUMBERS IN THE QUESTION!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 187
Just thought i'd add, if they ask you to describe a experiment, make sure you mention precision. For example, if they asked you to design a experiment to work out the resistivity of a certain material (like the putty question which appeared once) , you would put down that you used a micrometer/vernier calliper to measure the diameter of thickness of material in order to increase precision. Oh and be careful with significant figures!
Original post by amish123
Just thought i'd add, if they ask you to describe a experiment, make sure you mention precision. For example, if they asked you to design a experiment to work out the resistivity of a certain material (like the putty question which appeared once) , you would put down that you used a micrometer/vernier calliper to measure the diameter of thickness of material in order to increase precision. Oh and be careful with significant figures!

I shall add that to my list, thanks duude :biggrin:
Reply 189
no problem, loving the bright red :wink:
Original post by amish123
no problem, loving the bright red :wink:

Red is the shizzle.
Reply 191
what do you mean by a possible 6 marker on the photoelectric effect 'classical vs quantum'??????????????? swear I've never heard that!!!
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Can we have evidence for the second underlined part please? In terms of the part that I have underlined first, the exam papers are built from the specification, hence why I'm a little doubtful of your comment. Especially considering that knowledge of it is made so obviously necessary for other units.

To be fair, I honestly can't remember where it turned up off the top of my head (might have been a paper from the old spec, too). Given that it's pretty simple, there's no harm in learning it to be on the safe side.

Also: that list of potential six-markers is a beautiful thing.
Reply 193
Original post by issyconnor
Here's the model answer

This was not observed.

This answer is brilliant!! But you might want to include the bit about no time delay was observed which disproves wave theory and the whole 'one photon is absorbed by one electron' thing. :smile:
can someone explain the answer for this question please: 'Describe how the strong nuclear force between two nucleons varies with the separation of the nucleons quoting suitable values for separation.' thank youuu
Original post by LifeinTechnicolor
can someone explain the answer for this question please: 'Describe how the strong nuclear force between two nucleons varies with the separation of the nucleons quoting suitable values for separation.' thank youuu

At different distances, the strong nuclear force has opposing effects.

To give a model answer: "prior to 0.5fm, the strong nuclear force is intensely repulsive; at 0.5fm, it becomes incredibly attractive, but this quickly decreases by 3-4fm, and the effect has faded entirely by 5fm, with the strong nuclear force having no effect beyond that."
Reply 196
When I give my numerical answer, I usually do it to two decimal places. However, the mark schemes usually don't include any decimal places at all. For example, when you calculate the peak voltage knowing the RMS is 230, you multiply 230 by square root of 2 and get 325.27. Is it going to be marked as correct even though the mark scheme states the answer is 325? :P I know it's a silly question, but I don't wanna loose half of my marks only because I was too accurate. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SaltPillar
To be fair, I honestly can't remember where it turned up off the top of my head (might have been a paper from the old spec, too). Given that it's pretty simple, there's no harm in learning it to be on the safe side.

Also: that list of potential six-markers is a beautiful thing.

It appears on page 4 of the Collins Support Material for AQA Physics 2008 onwards, but I can't find it on the actual spec...:confused:

Also taken from the Spec:

" Candidates should know that electron diffraction suggests the wave nature of particles and the photoelectric effect suggests the particle nature of electromagnetic waves; details of particular methods of particle diffraction are not expected."

I think we should focus more on potential dividers/ Oscilloscopes which seem to be forgotten.

Potential Divider:

" The Potential divider used to supply variable pd e.g. application as an audio 'volume control'. Examples should include the use of variable resistors, thermistors and L.D.R's. The use of the potentiometer as a measuring instrument is not required."

Oscilloscope:

" Use of an oscilloscope as an dc and ac voltmeter, to measure time intervals and frequencies and to display a.c. waveforms. No details of the structure of the instrument is required but familiarity with the operation of the controls is expected."
Reply 198
:smile:
Original post by Draggy
When I give my numerical answer, I usually do it to two decimal places. However, the mark schemes usually don't include any decimal places at all. For example, when you calculate the peak voltage knowing the RMS is 230, you multiply 230 by square root of 2 and get 325.27. Is it going to be marked as correct even though the mark scheme states the answer is 325? :P I know it's a silly question, but I don't wanna loose half of my marks only because I was too accurate. :P

you normally answer to the same amount of significant figures as the question used. In this case 3 significant figures were used so the answer should be 325.
Some questions say to answer to a suitable degree of accuracy, so if you round too much or quote too many decimal places, you will lose marks unfortunately.

On some occassions eg if only 2 significant figures were used in the question, i would normally quote to 3 just to be on the safe side.

As a general rule though, 3 sig figs is normally accepted

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by JenniS
what do you mean by a possible 6 marker on the photoelectric effect 'classical vs quantum'??????????????? swear I've never heard that!!!

by classical he means wave theory. So basically what scientists thought about the photoelectric effect before quantum physics developed. Quantum theory showed that one photon interacts with one electron, threshold frequency existed and intensity was proporitonal to the number of photons arriving per second, not proportional to the energy per photon. blah blah :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending