The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 1 January 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by kat798
How did anyone find the May 2011 paper? Could someone post a link or something on here please?

I'm so worried, sometimes I know how to do it, some times I just get it so wrong. I did it last year without having any teachers and got a C, so I'm hoping with teachers and revision it'll be easy. I think I've got Quantum Phenomena and that down, so worried about electricity, potential dividers just go in one ear and out the other!

Exactly the same electricity is cchallenging
Reply 121
could anyone help me with question 3 iii and iv please?
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JAN11.PDF
Reply 122
Anyone can pm me the mark scheme for unit 1 physics may 2011
Reply 123
Getting really worried now, revising physics literally makes my brain hurt! If anyone can give me any tips on electricity and the big 6 mark questions that usually come up for the photoelectric effect, fluorescent tube etc then I would greatly appreciate it! Would be amazing if anyone has any model answers for these questions.
Original post by Hulksmash
You are mistaken: Firstly, a photon is a boson. Secondly, your statement about an exchange of charge being a weak interaction and the boson is the meditator. Counter-example to this is the z0 boson which is still a boson which is involved in the weak interaction but involves no transfer of charge.

It is clear this involves a photon because it is an electromagnetic interaction

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the corrections.
Original post by Sam-8
Just wondering if someone could explain to me how you draw the energy levels in transitions. There was a past paper that was something like 3 ephotons are given out, I found it confusing and different to what I had read.

Energy transitions are represented by arrows going from the energy level they begin at to the energy level they go to, that's all. Make sure you draw arrowheads in the right direction.
Reply 125
Original post by SaltPillar
Oh, interesting. Thanks for the corrections.

Energy transitions are represented by arrows going from the energy level they begin at to the energy level they go to, that's all. Make sure you draw arrowheads in the right direction.

I done that 3 photon question. If its emitted it point down towards the ground state. If it is absorbed then it points up away from ground state.
Reply 126
In B- decay, a neutron changes into a proton, an electron is emitted and an antineutrino. Can we just write the symbol for the electron or is it a beta particle. Also whats the symbol for antineutrino, i thought it was v bar. But aqa mark scheme have ve bar (electron antineutrino).
Original post by blue012
In B- decay, a neutron changes into a proton, an electron is emitted and an antineutrino. Can we just write the symbol for the electron or is it a beta particle. Also whats the symbol for antineutrino, i thought it was v bar. But aqa mark scheme have ve bar (electron antineutrino).

In terms of B- decay, I've seen mark schemes in which only e- has been written, so I would use that as opposed to B-.

In terms of anti-neutrinos, there are multiple types. Effectively, we need to know about the electron neutrino, the electron anti-neutrino, the muon neutrino, and the muon anti-neutrino. In any interaction, lepton number must be conserved for both the electron and muon branches seperately, and for that reason, it is important for conservation questions at least, that you specify which kind of neutrino it is.
Reply 128
Original post by Sam-8
could anyone help me with question 3 iii and iv please?
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JAN11.PDF

(iii) you use the data formula sheet, The electrons rest energy = 0.51.
So because its pair production it produces two electrons. So 0.51 * 2 = 1.02.

(iv) As you know the min. energy is 1.02 MeV
You times this value by 1.6*10-13 * 1.02 = 1.632*10-13 j ( to convert to joules)
You the use e=hc/landa, which when you re-arrange it gives you landa=hc/e.
Sub in your values then you get 1.2*10-12m.

:wink:
Reply 129
Original post by issyconnor
I suppose you could go the AQA markschemes for Physics, but they only give a brief overwiew.

Our physics teacher gave us a sample question and answer on the photoelectric effect that has come up before in exams, albeit worded differently. He basically told us to keep practising answering these sort of questions, so that when we're in the exam and a long question like that comes up, we can instantly answer it.

This was the question:

Explain why the Classical Laws of Physics do not explain the Photo-Electric Effect but the Quantum Laws of Physics (E = hf) do explain the Photo-Electric Effect.

I can send you a PM with the model answer, if you want it. :smile:

Could you Pm it to me as well please . Any help is desprately needed .... physics has become the bane of my existance
Horribly nervous for this exam...can't wait to drop it.
Reply 131
Could someone please try and find the May 2011 question paper and mark scheme i really need it! Oh and just to clear up how many significant figures should our answer have? i was told it was the same as the figure with the smallest number of significant figures in the question given? :s-smilie:
Original post by amish123
Could someone please try and find the May 2011 question paper and mark scheme i really need it! Oh and just to clear up how many significant figures should our answer have? i was told it was the same as the figure with the smallest number of significant figures in the question given? :s-smilie:

I also need this mark scheme as soon as possible. Would really appreciate it if somebody uploaded this or found it somehow. I've tried all over :frown:

Here's the QP:
Official freak out!!
Reply 134
Original post by superman17
I also need this mark scheme as soon as possible. Would really appreciate it if somebody uploaded this or found it somehow. I've tried all over :frown:

Here's the QP:

Heres the mark scheme for that paper. :wink:
Original post by anuradha_d
Official freak out!!

freaking out sooooo much for this exam too
Original post by sharmine
freaking out sooooo much for this exam too

Ikr??!!
Its proper stressing me out!
Original post by djsukh

Thanks a lot; much appreciated.
Original post by anuradha_d
Ikr??!!
Its proper stressing me out!

All i can say is i can't wait to drop it, don't know what was running through my mind when i wanted to take it...:albertein:
Reply 139
Original post by djsukh

Original post by djsukh

thanks so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending