The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8160
Original post by wcp100
Look at grades, tutor asks if everything okay socially. It's dull really.
Neither do I. You should see how good some of the people on here are!
We're doing M1 in class. So 3 units :biggrin:
I've got a UCAS convention trip on tues. and an oxbridge one soon after that:biggrin: It's all so close!

Your tutor asks about your social life? :lolwut:
Really good people on here... like you. :tongue:
Awesome :biggrin: I love being ahead of the class :h:
Cooool :biggrin: What's the Oxbridge one to do? It is, it really is... :eek:

Original post by chickenonsteroids
I shall try to do so then :biggrin:

Now I need to find them :tongue:

There are quite a few in Wort fuer Wort that my teacher seemed to like :wink:
Original post by lol12345678
hey guys :biggrin:

have you ever heard of AEA paper? anything needed to be prepared or practised in advance?

also,the result is coming on 8th march:/ whos ready

We're doing the AEA at the end of this year. It's not too bad, it's just a slightly harder A level paper.

The main problems I have with AEA are the lack of a calculator, the mandatory graph sketching and the 7 marks you need to get by using good "style". Luckily, it seems style marks are only there to ensure the workings Edexcel want you to do.

The AEA is not difficult but getting the distinction (which is what everyone who does it should be aiming for) with those constraints is potentially challenging. I inherently prefer STEP papers, not only because they often propose more interesting and often quite easy questions (*looks at the Statistics questions*), but because there is much more freedom for solutions.

Also, 3 hours is ridiculous for the length of the AEA paper, especially considering it's meant to tax the top 10% of A level candidates.
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
I see you plan on doing STEP. How much practice have you had so far?
Are you in year 12 or 13?

I'm in year 12. I've not had that much practice..are you planning on doing it?
Original post by Etoile
Your tutor asks about your social life? :lolwut:
Really good people on here... like you. :tongue:
Awesome :biggrin: I love being ahead of the class :h:
Cooool :biggrin: What's the Oxbridge one to do? It is, it really is... :eek:

Don't ask:tongue:
I mean people like DFranklin and those actually doing STEP this year.
It does make class a bit boring though....
I'm not sure. I think it's about the admission procedure...:P

I haven't worked all week and now I know I won't get the work finished anytime soon :frown:

I have managed to miss so many lessons and I don't know how. :frown:
Reply 8165
Original post by wcp100
Don't ask:tongue:
I mean people like DFranklin and those actually doing STEP this year.
It does make class a bit boring though....
I'm not sure. I think it's about the admission procedure...:P

Haha. What subject does your tutor teach?
But that will be you next year. :tongue:
But it is much better than sitting bored while you do the same work as everyone else in a tenth of the time and have to wait for them to catch up!
Scary stuff! :afraid: It is only 7 months until our applications have to be done...

Original post by Heptapus

Lots of oboe competitions. :tongue:
Original post by Etoile
Haha. What subject does your tutor teach?
But that will be you next year. :tongue:
But it is much better than sitting bored while you do the same work as everyone else in a tenth of the time and have to wait for them to catch up!
Scary stuff! :afraid: It is only 7 months until our applications have to be done...

English. It's a short conversation really:tongue:
OMG! I#m taking it next year!!!!!!
My maths teacher sets STEP questions when I do that:biggrin:
I know. Soon it will be personal statements, SAQS ...
Original post by Etoile
Lots of oboe competitions. :tongue:

Indeed, I had another one today ironically. :tongue:

About to pracitce my oboe now, got some solo music yesterday. :colone:
Reply 8168
Original post by wcp100
English. It's a short conversation really:tongue:
OMG! I#m taking it next year!!!!!!
My maths teacher sets STEP questions when I do that:biggrin:
I know. Soon it will be personal statements, SAQS ...

Ahhh. My tutor is a maths teacher so I think she assumes we don't have social lives. :teehee:
And you'll do awesomely on it :biggrin:
My teachers set me A2 grammar work. :teehee: It is more fun and productive this way though!
And interviews...:afraid:

Awesome, how did it go?
You can steal the show with your solo. :colone:
Original post by Etoile
Ahhh. My tutor is a maths teacher so I think she assumes we don't have social lives. :teehee:
And you'll do awesomely on it :biggrin:
My teachers set me A2 grammar work. :teehee: It is more fun and productive this way though!
And interviews...:afraid:

Is that a dig a mathematicians there???? Hmmmm...:nothing:

Spoiler

:O:O. STEP is fun too.
Oh god. Engineering ones sound horrendous.... apparently Oxford language interviews are difficult!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8170
Original post by wcp100
Is that a dig a mathematicians there???? Hmmmm...:nothing:

Spoiler

:O:O. STEP is fun too.
Oh god. Engineering ones sound horrendous.... apparently Oxford language interviews are difficult!

:teehee: I'm sure there are many sociable mathematicians... I just haven't met any of them. :tongue: Not like linguists who never stop talking! :biggrin:
When things are difficult they are more worthwhile. :colone:
What kinds of things do you do in engineering ones? For languages ones you have to hold conversations about literature and stuff in the language :nothing:
Original post by Etoile
:teehee: I'm sure there are many sociable mathematicians... I just haven't met any of them. :tongue: Not like linguists who never stop talking! :biggrin:

I really hate that stereotype :/ there is certainly a connection between people who are on the autistic spectrum and people who are very good at maths, but the reasoning behind that is that autistics are often able to focus and dedicate more of their time to working at what fascinates them (which is often maths) and can thereby become very good at it. It's not that doing maths makes you become less sociable, it's more that people who are less sociable often find more time to excel in areas such as maths (and also music, science, even literature).

I'm without sources, but I know that a surprising number of comedians did maths degrees. There are so many branches of maths that are beautiful, I think it's a terrible shame that maths gets a bad rep due to the nerd stereotype and all the pre-school times tables that everybody hated (because that's not maths at all really, it's just really dull).

Linguistics is also fascinating though, if you adopt the right approach and actually study the context and history behind a language and start to study the differences behind different languages, why they may be there, how it affects the culture and the country. e.g. French is especially emotional, meaningful; "Tu me manques" has no literal translation into English, and there are several other beautiful phases in French (also Spanish and Italian). I think Korean is an amazing language, but I'm no where near fluent in any language but English, so I suppose I'm not really qualified to go further. I will say that I am in awe of true linguistics, languages really aren't my strong point :smile:

The oboe does make a wonderful sound. Those £13 reeds are expensive to say the least however (especially if you're like me and shred through the golden-mellow-sounding phase in about 2 weeks).

What grade are you on the oboe by any chance? And I'm intruiged by your "competitions", I've had national youth auditions, but I've never heard of music competitions before?
(edited 12 years ago)
COOLEST THING EVER!!!!

http://htwins.net/scale2/
Reply 8173
Original post by Llewellyn
I really hate that stereotype :/ there is certainly a connection between people who are on the autistic spectrum and people who are very good at maths, but the reasoning behind that is that autistics are often able to focus and dedicate more of their time to working at what fascinates them (which is often maths) and can thereby become very good at it. It's not that doing maths makes you become less sociable, it's more that people who are less sociable often find more time to excel in areas such as maths (and also music, science, even literature).

I'm without sources, but I know that a surprising number of comedians did maths degrees. There are so many branches of maths that are beautiful, I think it's a terrible shame that maths gets a bad rep due to the nerd stereotype and all the pre-school times tables that everybody hated (because that's not maths at all really, it's just really dull).

Linguistics is also fascinating though, if you adopt the right approach and actually study the context and history behind a language and start to study the differences behind different languages, why they may be there, how it affects the culture and the country. e.g. French is especially emotional, meaningful; "Tu me manques" has no literal translation into English, and there are several other beautiful phases in French (also Spanish and Italian). I think Korean is an amazing language, but I'm no where near fluent in any language but English, so I suppose I'm not really qualified to go further. I will say that I am in awe of true linguistics, languages really aren't my strong point :smile:

I'm sorry, it does hold pretty true in my experience, although to be fair my boyfriend is a mathematician. And I am on the autistic spectrum myself. :tongue: Maths is beautiful indeed, but in actual fact languages get an even worse rap - the general attitude seems to be if you want to study maths then fine, you must be really clever, but wtf is going through your mind if you want to do French >.<
Actually, tu me manques just means I miss you. But it is backwards if you think in English. :lol: It's because it's shortened from tu manques à moi, you are missing to me.
And you're so right, what people don't realise that by studying a language e.g. if you did a French degree, you don't just study the language but also the culture, history, literature, thought, the scientific/linguistic makeup and development of the language... :love:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Etoile
Awesome, how did it go?
You can steal the show with your solo. :colone:

It went alright thanks. but I have lost my tuner. :frown: it is at school somewhere.
ahaha, the music is actually for a performance next year. :lol: I get a whole orchestra behind me. :colone:
Original post by Llewellyn
The oboe does make a wonderful sound. Those £13 reeds are expensive to say the least however (especially if you're like me and shred through the golden-mellow-sounding phase in about 2 weeks).

What grade are you on the oboe by any chance? And I'm intruiged by your "competitions", I've had national youth auditions, but I've never heard of music competitions before?

A fellow oboist?!
It does! I play on even more expensive reeds. :frown: The ones I play on are £21.50 each. I bought 2 last week.

I am taking grade 8 this term. :afraid: What about you?
The competitions are national Chamber music competition, and a regional festival.
Too much oboe playing recently. :/
I am playing in assembly on Tuesday too. :biggrin:

What brand of oboe do you play on? and did you buy your own?

It is so nice to find a fellow oboe player!
Original post by Etoile
What kinds of things do you do in engineering ones? For languages ones you have to hold conversations about literature and stuff in the language :nothing:

I prefer not talking to be honest:tongue: Everyone seems to find it awkward though....
That's true, doesn't make them easier though:tongue:
Solve ridiculously difficult maths/physics questions.

Prove ....'s theorem etc.

I have my book of proofs to rely on:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Etoile
I'm sorry, it does hold pretty true in my experience, although to be fair my boyfriend is a mathematician. And I am on the autistic spectrum myself. :tongue: Maths is beautiful indeed, but in actual fact languages get an even worse rap - the general attitude seems to be if you want to study maths then fine, you must be really clever, but wtf is going through your mind if you want to do French >.<
Actually, tu me manques just means I miss you. But it is backwards if you think in English. :lol: It's because it's shortened from tu manques à moi, you are missing to me.
And you're so right, what people don't realise that by studying a language e.g. if you did a French degree, you don't just study the language but also the culture, history, literature, thought, the scientific/linguistic makeup and development of the language... :love:

If you are on the autistic spectrum then it truly is very badly defined. I think "tu me manques" better translates into "you put in me a feeling of loss", that kind of language and poetic beauty just isn't found in English. Which is why I don't really like English, despite its utility.

Yes, languages are awesome I agree. I'm quite badly dyslexic though, so I think I will leave languages to those who are good at languages. But one of the best things I got out of studying other languages was listening and learning to the music that went with them. Although Spanish really is just a horrible complementation of "amor" rhymes, some Icelandic and Indian songs are wonderful. So yes, languages are more than just learning a load of words, just as maths is more than adding and subtracting a load of integers.

A fellow oboist?!
It does! I play on even more expensive reeds. :frown: The ones I play on are £21.50 each. I bought 2 last week.

I am taking grade 8 this term. :afraid: What about you?
The competitions are national Chamber music competition, and a regional festival.
Too much oboe playing recently. :/
I am playing in assembly on Tuesday too. :biggrin:

What brand of oboe do you play on? and did you buy your own?

It is so nice to find a fellow oboe player!

Grade 8? Very impressive :biggrin: the oral for grade 8 (ABRSM) is horrible though :frown: I'm glad you've also taken the next step to actually go to these competitions.

I'm not an accomplished oboist though, sorry to disappoint. I took up the oboe when my school orchestra needed me to and played it for ~2 years. I only reached grade 3 lol, and I don't think I ever truly got the best sound out of the instrument, which is why I have a lot of respect for oboists and bassoonists!

I also play Saxophone, piano, violin a little, just because they are all fun to mess around with. I mostly play clarinet, which is what I played in the national youth :smile: I love the clarinet's range and the sound it makes (and the cheaper reeds :P ) but it's annoying to transpose music constantly. I also really enjoy playing Jazz, despite the fact my group always seem to give me the fiddly top line -_-.

I'm glad to see someone with an obvious passion for music though :smile: good luck with any grades/ competitions and/or assemblys (strange how assemblys always seem to be more nervous than concerts and/or auditions isn't it?)
Original post by wcp100
I'm in year 12. I've not had that much practice..are you planning on doing it?

Yh I'm planning on doing STEP II and III next year; I doubt I'll get a chance to do STEP I this year though. What maths modules have you sat already?
I've had a look at one or two STEP I questions, but I intend on doing a lot more after summer exams and during the summer holiday.

From your attachment to the oboe, I gather :biggrin:
Scared about thursday?
Yh I'm planning on doing STEP II and III next year; I doubt I'll get a chance to do STEP I this year though. What maths modules have you sat already?
I've had a look at one or two STEP I questions, but I intend on doing a lot more after summer exams and during the summer holiday.

C1 and D1.......yeh.......
I'm not sure whether to do STEP I and II or II and III.
Which modules have you done?

Latest