The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blueray
Why? What do you want to do for uni?

I don't get to choose, and the school makes us do S1, S2, M1, M2 and M3 for double maths. I want to do Economics though.
Original post by ElMoro
Thanks anyway, Arva :smile: How ya been? :biggrin:

No problem. I've been good thanks - I'm finishing up my core maths revision today. I just need to do a couple of C4 papers and the hardest will be over. C1-3 are completely fine with 2 past-papers in each.
Original post by wcp100
I would show it to you know. But there is no margin:tongue:

Haha :tongue:
I doubt he actually wrote the proof in the margin, considering how long Wiles' proof was.
Original post by wcp100
If you note. The SUVAT equations are, or can be, derived from calculus. You are never penalised for knowing more than is required.

Really? Because this is what I was worrying over.

The markscheme doesn't seem to credit (or at least mention) the use of calculus. So if I were to make some silly accuracy error I think I'd lose all the method marks. I've asked some teachers who seem to think it's better if I don't use calculus in light of this and that if I were to use calculus the examiner would assume I'm resitting the unit.

It would be nice though; it's far faster.
Reply 8804
Original post by Lily Academia

Indeed. As long as you don't go loco and use 3rd year uni maths, you'll be fine.

Markschemes only contain anticipated and common approaches - cases like these are dealt with individually

Hope this helps :wink2:
Original post by ElMoro
Indeed. As long as you don't go loco and use 3rd year uni maths, you'll be fine.

Markschemes only contain anticipated and common approaches - cases like these are dealt with individually

I forgot to ask how you've been - most of your GCSEs are coming up soon right?
Original post by Appeal to reason
Hello and welcome to the next installment of the thread! :biggrin:

Get talking! :colone:

Subjects:
Additional further maths Silent--ly, Star-girl, und
Biology Karma is a bitch, chignesh10, Lily Academia, senz72, Boom533, katebonnie, Agent Smirnoff, Conan, --emma--
Chemistry dabest2500, berryripple, Integral, ElMoro, Star-girl, chignesh10, Lily Academia, Mendeleev’s Table, senz72, Boom533, wcp100, Agent Smirnoff, acceptingme, --emma--, cuckoo99
Computing - ElMoro
Economics- berryripple, Arslongavitabrevis, Integral, Mendeleev’s Table, senz72, 4mar_ar5en4l, Agent Smirnoff, YLY
English lit Coco_94, Etoile, chickenonsteroids, Lily Academia, pink pineapple, RainReader, Boom533, katebonnie, cuckoo99
EPQ Arslongavitabrevis, Star-girl, Oli-Ol, Boom533, acceptingme, Conan
Fine art silent--ly , Lily Academia, RainReader,
French Etoile, chignesh10, Lily Academia, Oli-Ol, pink pineapple, katebonnie
Further Maths dabest2500, silent--ly, Arslongavitabrevis, Integral, George K, Heptapus, Star-girl, chignesh10, Mendeleev’s Table, Elmoro, Smmr, 4mar_ar5en4l, wcp100, Conan, acceptingme, YLY, und
General studies Star-girl, wcp100, Conan
Geology George K
German Etoile, chickenonsteroids
Hinduism - Boom533
History Coco_94, silent--ly, Oli-Ol, chickenonsteroids, pink pineapple, acceptingme
History of art silent--ly, RainReader
Human Biology - cuckoo99
ICT - Smmr
Italian Etoile, Karma is a bitch, Oli-Ol, katebonnie (GCSE)
Latin - Arslongavitabrevis, Oli-Ol, YLY
Law - Agent Smirnoff
Maths dabest2500, Etoile, Heptapus, silent--ly, Arslongavitabrevis, chickenonsteroids, Integral, George K, Star-girl, chignesh10, Lily Academia, Oli-Ol, Mendeleev’s Table, senz72, Boom533, 4mar_ar5en4l, wcp100, Conan, acceptingme, --emma--, YLY, Amwazicles, und
Music - Heptapus
Physics dabest2500, silent--ly, chickenonsteroids, ElMoro, George K, Heptapus, chignesh10, Lily Academia, Star-girl, Smmr, 4mar_ar5en4l, wcp100, Conan, acceptingme, --emma--, Amwazicles, und
Philosophy Coco_94, chickenonsteroids, Amwazicles
Philosophy & Ethics - katebonnie
Psychology Coco_94, Oli-Ol, RainReader, Smmr, Amwazicles, cuckoo99
Politics berryripple, pink pineapple
RE Karma is a bitch
Russian - und
Sociology- Karma is a bitch
Spanish - --emma--

If you want in on the list, quote me with your subjects :smile:

Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Further Maths, Geography

The markscheme doesn't seem to credit (or at least mention) the use of calculus. So if I were to make some silly accuracy error I think I'd lose all the method marks. I've asked some teachers who seem to think it's better if I don't use calculus in light of this and that if I were to use calculus the examiner would assume I'm resitting the unit.

Personally I wouldn't risk it. You may or may not get method marks if you are wrong.
Original post by ElMoro

I've seen people on the STEP thread using uni maths. It's complete overkill imo.
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
C3 and C4 calculus makes C1 and C2 calculus so much easier - am I allowed to use the product, quotient and chain rules etc to solve AS questions? The same goes for the scalar product and Mechanics 1 vector questions.

I don't see any real need to, but if its correct, I don't see why they'd not give you the marks. I'm fairly sure you still get all the marks for getting the end answer unless it specifically says "Show that...".
Not sure I've seen any aside from the trapezium rule questions (in which case you'd get 0 marks for working out the exact answer, unless you were only doing it to check you were in the right ballpark), or those tagged onto a binomial expansion question that you could really use them on.
As far as I remember the majority of it in C1 and C2 was straight forward.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rainingshame
Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Further Maths, Geography

You've been added, welcome to the thread :smile:

SUVAT questions really don't take long at all though, you'd be saving seconds, maybe a minute at best.
I agree with wcp, I don't think its worth the risk.
Original post by wcp100
Personally I wouldn't risk it. You may or may not get method marks if you are wrong.

The solution is to not be wrong. :cool:

I'm joking of course. I probably won't risk my idea either.
Original post by Appeal to reason
I don't see any real need to, but if its correct, I don't see why they'd not give you the marks. I'm fairly sure you still get all the marks for getting the end answer unless it specifically says "Show that...".
Not sure I've seen any aside from the trapezium rule questions (in which case you'd get 0 marks for working out the exact answer, unless you were only doing it to check you were in the right ballpark), or those tagged onto a binomial expansion question that you could really use them on.
As far as I remember the majority of it in C1 and C2 was straight forward.

Thanks for the advice. I loathe the trapezium rule. In C4, with all the new integration techniques we learn, it is absolutely pointless, a sort of filler to add marks to the test.

Can't complain though, it's a guaranteed 6 or so marks.
C3 and C4 calculus makes C1 and C2 calculus so much easier - am I allowed to use the product, quotient and chain rules etc to solve AS questions? The same goes for the scalar product and Mechanics 1 vector questions.

If I'm ever helping out with C1/C2 stuff I do the C3/4 methods for fun, but they're always a lot more time consuming, because the AS content is so basic in comparison.
You could always use it as a check though :smile:
Thanks for the advice. I loathe the trapezium rule. In C4, with all the new integration techniques we learn, it is absolutely pointless, a sort of filler to add marks to the test.

Can't complain though, it's a guaranteed 6 or so marks.

The trapiziem rule is a waste we did it in core 2 the day before our exam, all you have to do is understand what the equation in the formula booklet means and punch in some numbers.
Original post by Rainingshame
The trapiziem rule is a waste we did it in core 2 the day before our exam, all you have to do is understand what the equation in the formula booklet means and punch in some numbers.

I know, how stupid.
ArsLongaVitaBrevis
x

Hey, how are your a-levels going? :smile:
Original post by Heptapus
Hey, how are your a-levels going? :smile:

Hi. They're good thanks (apart from that pesky C4 trig integration section). How about yours?
Hi. They're good thanks (apart from that pesky C4 trig integration section). How about yours?

Ahh maths. I love maths.

Mine are going well thank you, been doing past papers. Hoping to do another soon.

Latest