The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chignesh10
One of my mates was complaining as well, he said he thought really well in the january AS unit 1 politics Edexcel, ended up with a D

Gives me great hope :frown:
Original post by Etoile
Your German doesn't suck!! Thank you :h: Now I have something to put on my personal statement :woo: We have to give a talk at a local primary school though...where they don't teach German. Which seems a little odd. :confused:

Make sure your talk shows them how amazing learning a language is, what it means you can do.

Having to teach 4 groups of Y5 and 6 students german, when they don't speak any = the scariest thing i've ever done!!
Reply 9162
Original post by berryripple
I just hate how ****ty they are for marking and stuff for politics. No wonder the grade boundaries are so weirdly low.

:console:
Still, low grade boundaries + incredibly talented and smart berryripple should = a good outcome :tongue:

Original post by .snowflake.
Make sure your talk shows them how amazing learning a language is, what it means you can do.

Having to teach 4 groups of Y5 and 6 students german, when they don't speak any = the scariest thing i've ever done!!

I will try! Although my mum's friends help at my local primary school and they are full of horror stories, so it will probably be fruitless. :redface: I find that eight year olds don't really tend to think about the future, but who knows, maybe I will be able to convince them that speaking German is the way forward. :colone:
Sounds like fun though! Were they receptive?
Original post by Etoile

I will try! Although my mum's friends help at my local primary school and they are full of horror stories, so it will probably be fruitless. :redface: I find that eight year olds don't really tend to think about the future, but who knows, maybe I will be able to convince them that speaking German is the way forward. :colone:
Sounds like fun though! Were they receptive?

You can get 10 and 11 year olds to do ANYTHING if theres colouring in and stickers involved! Heck, still applies to sixth formers. If miss told my friend that for every lesson that she gets through without saying 'I don't know' she'd get a sticker, I think she'd just about manage it.
Reply 9164
You can get 10 and 11 year olds to do ANYTHING if theres colouring in and stickers involved! Heck, still applies to sixth formers. If miss told my friend that for every lesson that she gets through without saying 'I don't know' she'd get a sticker, I think she'd just about manage it.

Haha! Sounds like a good idea actually! We get gold stars on our profile on our computer system if our teacher thinks we have done something particularly well :ahee:
Reply 9165
There is nothing worse than a lesson which revolves around cutting and glueing :P God I'm happy I'm past that...
Original post by Maxffm
There is nothing worse than a lesson which revolves around cutting and glueing :P God I'm happy I'm past that...

Our Bio department don't think so. STILL cutting and sticking at 18...
Reply 9167
Our Bio department don't think so. STILL cutting and sticking at 18...

Always bloody biologists.... I was in one of those interview lessons in Biology a while back and we spent the whole lesson cutting and glueing DNA chains... she got the job...
Original post by berryripple
Gives me great hope :frown:

Didnt mean it like that!
You seemed to do well at GCSEs, shouldnt be a worry
Reply 9169
Original post by Maxffm

No way! We had a couple of great Italian lessons cutting and sticking :tongue: Due to the colourful paper, I now know the causes and consequences of children watching too much tv! :ahee:
Reply 9170
Original post by Etoile
No way! We had a couple of great Italian lessons cutting and sticking :tongue: Due to the colourful paper, I now know the causes and consequences of children watching too much tv! :ahee:

Well you see... languages always bored me too death so I guess in those lessons I'd be more than up for the good old scissors paper and glue... buuut... nowhere else :tongue:
Original post by Maxffm
Always bloody biologists.... I was in one of those interview lessons in Biology a while back and we spent the whole lesson cutting and glueing DNA chains... she got the job...

mm. We've done that. Did the first 8 pairs of bases, DNA strand wasnt making the helix. Couldn't be asked to do the rest. WE've all given up with one teacher to the extent that we make notes from the textbook/ revision guide in her lesson instead of listening to her. My best mate no longer botheres turning up to her lessons.
Original post by Etoile

we NEVER get cutting and sticking in german, so to make up for it, I've highlighted the hell out of my vocab book. He takes the mick out of the fact its so colourful. One of the lads in my GCSE class asked pretty much every lesson 'Mrs, can we make a poster?'
Reply 9173
mm. We've done that. Did the first 8 pairs of bases, DNA strand wasnt making the helix. Couldn't be asked to do the rest. WE've all given up with one teacher to the extent that we make notes from the textbook/ revision guide in her lesson instead of listening to her. My best mate no longer botheres turning up to her lessons.

I don't go to the sort of school where you can jusst not show up... shame that...
I myself don't do Bio anymore but from what I've heard thats quite common with Biology teachers... never much good...
Original post by Maxffm
I don't go to the sort of school where you can jusst not show up... shame that...
I myself don't do Bio anymore but from what I've heard thats quite common with Biology teachers... never much good...

I'd not go, but she'd notice I'm not there. Its me and this other lad who answer all the questions. And its me she's usually waiting for to finish writing notes.
Reply 9175
I'd not go, but she'd notice I'm not there. Its me and this other lad who answer all the questions. And its me she's usually waiting for to finish writing notes.

Haha, doing GCSE Bio I just reached that stage where I knew I wouldn't read my notes anyway so I just stopped making them. Do you have big classes where you go? I could never bunk because all my classes are like 8 people or so and we all share lessons so the teachers ask too many questions... have you tried just sleeping through lesson :tongue: works a beaut in some...
Original post by Maxffm
Haha, doing GCSE Bio I just reached that stage where I knew I wouldn't read my notes anyway so I just stopped making them. Do you have big classes where you go? I could never bunk because all my classes are like 8 people or so and we all share lessons so the teachers ask too many questions... have you tried just sleeping through lesson :tongue: works a beaut in some...

12 in chemistry, 10 in bio. 4 in german, so can't really skive any of them.
Reply 9177
Original post by Maxffm
Well you see... languages always bored me too death so I guess in those lessons I'd be more than up for the good old scissors paper and glue... buuut... nowhere else :tongue:

How could anyone find languages boring? :zomg:

we NEVER get cutting and sticking in german, so to make up for it, I've highlighted the hell out of my vocab book. He takes the mick out of the fact its so colourful. One of the lads in my GCSE class asked pretty much every lesson 'Mrs, can we make a poster?'

Nice. :colone: Colours help people learn! I make posters for things, I'm planning on doing them for key phrases for each topic in fact. Need to get around to that...
Original post by Etoile
How could anyone find languages boring? :zomg:

Nice. :colone: Colours help people learn! I make posters for things, I'm planning on doing them for key phrases for each topic in fact. Need to get around to that...

You want to see my mind maps showing all of the compounds we've learnt at A level and the conditions needed to convert one to another. They're epic. A3 paper ftw. I made a mind map for the prepositions back in sept. Now all prepositions which take the dative make my left hand side all tingly. Well I've used the colours to remind me of the gender of the word.
yup, and did crap last year. Hence why I'm resitting ALL of it and starting to freak about said resits.

We did last year's paper as a mock this year, I found it really hard and got a D unsurprisingly XD But with extra experience I'm sure you'll be fine this year! What topic are you doing for your aural?

Latest