The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Bursaries given by Edinburgh University

I was just wondering what sort of bursaries are available to students applying for the university of edinburgh, this because the university is charging 36000 pounds for non scottish uk students?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From their prospectus-
Access bursaries
More than 200 bursaries awarded to undergraduate students from the UK, whose financial or personal circumstances may prevent them from entering higher education. The value of the award is a minimum of £1000 per year of study.

Accommodation bursaries
We award up to 90 bursaries for first year UK undergraduate students who will be living in University of Edinburgh accommodation. Each bursary, tenable for one academic session is worth £1000 and is paid directly to Accommodation services, towards the costs of accommodation.

Sports bursaries
The centre of sport and exercise offers an extensive programme of education, support services and funding for outstanding student athletes who are selected for the sport bursary programme.

Also, I'm sure on the website there is mention of 'best bursaries in the UK' but I haven't looked into that yet
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by gpostleth

From their prospectus-
Access bursaries
More than 200 bursaries awarded to undergraduate students from the UK, whose financial or personal circumstances may prevent them from entering higher education. The value of the award is a minimum of £1000 per year of study.

Accommodation bursaries
We award up to 90 bursaries for first year UK undergraduate students who will be living in University of Edinburgh accommodation. Each bursary, tenable for one academic session is worth £1000 and is paid directly to Accommodation services, towards the costs of accommodation.

Sports bursaries
The centre of sport and exercise offers an extensive programme of education, support services and funding for outstanding student athletes who are selected for the sport bursary programme.

Also, I'm sure on the website there is mention of 'best bursaries in the UK' but I haven't looked into that yet

Cool. Thank you so much, have you applied to Edinburgh ?
Reply 3
Original post by einstein123
Cool. Thank you so much, have you applied to Edinburgh ?

No problem! I'm always on this gathering info so more than happy to help out.
Yes I have, for Applied Sport Science got my heart set on Edinburgh, but as I'm also a non scottish UK applicant they take ages to give you a reply well after the Jan deadline :/ you?
Reply 4

No problem! I'm always on this gathering info so more than happy to help out.
Yes I have, for Applied Sport Science got my heart set on Edinburgh, but as I'm also a non scottish UK applicant they take ages to give you a reply well after the Jan deadline :/ you?

Yeah ive applied to Maths at edinburgh. Yeah ive heard they take ages ahhh,, so frustrating! Good luck with your application!:smile:
Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by Kelz_26

Thankss!
Reply 7
Original post by Kelz_26

Original post by Kelz_26
If you have any questions about it or about Edinburgh uni in general I would be happy to try and help, since I'm in first year just now. :smile:

Really, ive applied for maths and i was wondering how long they take to get back to or is it just like random cos ive heard Edinburgh take ages? hmm hopefully ill get an offer!
Reply 8
how many people are expected to apply to scotland from england?
I think they pay you in Haggis and Irn Bru tokens.

I kid. I'm bored. Please take pity on me.
Reply 10
Original post by Kelz_26

Original post by Kelz_26
I applied for two courses at Edinburgh, Physiology and Medical Sciences. I heard from Physiology at the end of December but didn't hear back from Medical Sciences until the end of March because it is so competitive. So it depends on the subject, but generally you usually hear back January/February. Good luck!

Thanks, also is maths very competitive like roughly how many applicants per place? (sorry about all these questions)
Reply 11
Thanks, also is maths very competitive like roughly how many applicants per place? (sorry about all these questions)

You can see the statistics here - http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics. In 2010-2011, there were 970 applicants for maths and 372 offers (38.4% chance of an offer).
Reply 12
Original post by Kelz_26

Original post by Kelz_26
You can see the statistics here - http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics. In 2010-2011, there were 970 applicants for maths and 372 offers (38.4% chance of an offer).

Thanks again!
Reply 13
Thanks again!

That's ok. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Actually, Edinburgh's tuition fees were set at £9,000. Not £36,000.
Reply 15
Original post by ZombieCharge
Actually, Edinburgh's tuition fees were set at £9,000. Not £36,000.

I think they mean for the whole duration of the course, 9x4 = 36
I was just wondering what sort of bursaries are available to students applying for the university of edinburgh, this because the university is charging 36000 pounds for non scottish uk students?:smile:

I would think the bursary of interest is the following: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-funding/undergraduate/uk-eu/bursaries/ruk
(edited 12 years ago)
I think they mean for the whole duration of the course, 9x4 = 36

Maths offers second year entry to those studying Advanced Highers/A-levels, so not necessarily.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Really, ive applied for maths and i was wondering how long they take to get back to or is it just like random cos ive heard Edinburgh take ages? hmm hopefully ill get an offer!

is the RUK bursaries for the duration of the degree ie 4years? or just 1st year.
AFAIK most Scottish unis only charge £9k a year for the first three years: your senior honours is free of charge. Hence £27k tuition fees like it is in England.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending