The Student Room Group

Scottish unis??? are they good?

Scroll to see replies

Some utter tosh in this thread.

Parts of Scotland are beautiful. Parts are dreadful and run-down. Exact same goes for England; it really depends which areas you're focusing on.

Similarly, in terms of friendliness, it depends on where you go. I would not agree with anyone who says that Scotland is friendlier and that people will talk to strangers, because my own experience - three Edinburgh Fringe Festivals - has thrown up some very hostile encounters with locals. This was, obviously, just one city and I'm sure that other cities wouldn't want to be measured against one. Likewise in the UK, it's not at all true, as someone said, that there's a 'general aura of consent that you don't talk to aaaaaany strangers'. That's only in London, I find. Having grown up in Liverpool, I can vouch that it's one of the friendliest places on earth, where anyone will give you the time of day, have a chat and likely help you in your hour of need.

What about Scottish *culture* exactly is it that you like, OP? I'm not aware that it's hugely different there from in the UK. I believe that the Scots are slightly unhealthier than we are (maybe because everything seems to be deep-friend :P), but then we're hardly healthy ourselves (and the Scots have the wonderful super-free healthcare anyway), but that's it. If you've got images of people playing bagpipes, tossing the caber, rolling every 'r' and eating haggis while writing beautiful poetry in the Highlands, you're a bit mistaken...

Choose your universities based on their individual merits and don't apply blanket criteria, else you'll be sorely disappointed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Smack
If it is one year longer it still won't cost you more than an equivalent degree in England because in order to remain competitive Scottish universities are capping their fees to English students at 27K. You are certainly right that it's not worth paying 36K to study in Scotland when you can pay 27K to study in England.

Ah, I see your point. But the person who started the thread is international with A-Level, not English, and would have fees 36k + probably...
Original post by AeroLB
This is not false. The course MAY be 1 year longer, and so it should be looked into.

The degree will cost the same as a 3 year course at an English institution
Original post by James A
hey mate, check out this link

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=is+scotland+a+country click first link

number 2 i agree, scotland is not a country

I would very much like to see you come to Scotland and say that!
anyway your minor technicality will not exist in a few years time after the independence referendum.
Original post by Alisoncraig
I would very much like to see you come to Scotland and say that!
anyway your minor technicality will not exist in a few years time after the independence referendum.

Don't feed the :troll:
Reply 25
Originally Posted by yothi5
1. Point one makes no sense.
2. Scotland is not a country.
3. Don't stereotype.
4. No, most Scottish unis now charge 9k fees for home students, and more for international.
5. Point 5 makes no sense either.

You'll end up unemployed if you are just dumb.

Ok so scotland is not a country -_- big deal :P
Point 1 makes absolute sense buddy...Scottish universities are globally recognized! Whats not making sense about that? Point 5 is ok too...international students are allowed to work in scotland for 2 years without a workpermit.
Moreover i love the scottish culture(have lived there for 3 years pal)..stereotyping???
Overall you answer was cr*p! It would've bin better if you had'nt answered at all -_-
Reply 26
Original post by Craghyrax
Don't feed the :troll:

I think they both qualify as trolls really.
Reply 27
Original post by yothi5
1. Point one makes no sense.
2. Scotland is not a country.
3. Don't stereotype.
4. No, most Scottish unis now charge 9k fees for home students, and more for international.
5. Point 5 makes no sense either.

You'll end up unemployed if you are just dumb.

oh ho ho!

Quick Reply

Latest