The Student Room Group

Student Finance - HELP

Hi everyone,
So basically I applied for SFE online, and my uni charges £9,000, however, when I get to the page which determines my loan based on household income, it says £3,225.
Any ideas what to do?
Yours confused,
y.yousef
Reply 1
Not sure how it works with the new fees exactly, but presumably the loan of £3,225 is the loan for your living costs (i.e. separate from your tuition fee loan).
Reply 2
That's your maintenance loan, for the tuition fee loan you tell student finance how much your tuition fee is and they'll give the full amount to your university it's not based on household income
I even entered £9000 in the box, and when I continue, it says my maintenance loan is £2,800 (approx), and my tuition fee loan is £3,225
Reply 4
Original post by y.yousef
I even entered £9000 in the box, and when I continue, it says my maintenance loan is £2,800 (approx), and my tuition fee loan is £3,225

Sorry if this sound patronising but are you using the new scheme for 2012 onwards students as I wasn't even aware that it had opened yet, as I thought student finance don't allow you to apply until the February before you start your course as at the moment many people won't have all their offers back yet let alone picked which one there going to. Yeah just checked and student finance says you have to wait till early 2012 so I guess that's when they'll fix it to increase the tuition fee amount as you will be on a different scheme to older students so they haven't update it yet I guess. See: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_194804
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by y.yousef

See below answer. Student Finance for new applicants (i.e. for 2012 entry into university) won't open until the new year (February/ March I think, but current undergraduates can apply earlier than new applicants I believe). If you are an applicant for 2012 university entry, then don't fill in SFE now as there is no need to do so just yet.

Original post by Fraine
Sorry if this sound patronising but are you using the new scheme for 2012 onwards students as I wasn't even aware that it had opened yet, as I thought student finance don't allow you to apply until the February before you start your course as at the moment many people won't have all their offers back yet let alone picked which one there going to. Yeah just checked and student finance says you have to wait till early 2012 so I guess that's when they'll fix it to increase the tuition fee amount as you will be on a different scheme to older students so they haven't update it yet I guess. See: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_194804
oh ok
thanks
Reply 7
i had the same problem with it saying that the tuition fee availible would be £3225 when my fees are actually going to be £8,100. I phoned them and was told it is an error with the system, submit it anyway and it will be ammended when you are assesed.
Original post by marcjic
i had the same problem with it saying that the tuition fee availible would be £3225 when my fees are actually going to be £8,100. I phoned them and was told it is an error with the system, submit it anyway and it will be ammended when you are assesed.

Thanks for your response man
When i phoned them they basically told me what i already knew

Quick Reply