The Student Room Group

Solo trip to Nottingham tomorrow, what's there to do?

I'm there for two days/one night, never been before, wouldn't mind making the most of it. Any places I should visit or any activities worth doing?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Sherwood pines if you enjoy cycling

Otherwise you have the city centre with all the of the shops etc
Pretty good music scene there if you're into that kind of thing.
Reply 3
Original post by Nice Marmite
Pretty good music scene there if you're into that kind of thing.

Defo, I'm going there for a gig anyway. I'll have quite a few hours to kill though after I arrive/before I leave the next day :tongue:
Original post by spiral87
Defo, I'm going there for a gig anyway. I'll have quite a few hours to kill though after I arrive/before I leave the next day :tongue:

Cool, I don't know the city that well, I've only really been to gigs there. There are some pretty decent shops, especially vintage, that you could peruse though.
Reply 5
Might want to visit the castle! I've been there myself (I live here, actually) and it's quite interesting.

This is what it looks like from the distance.

And here's a statue that's nearby, showing Robin Hood. I've posed in front of it in photographs my family has taken but this one is clean. (The photograph doesn't belong to me. None of them do.)

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1036
That's the website if you want to take a look. There's also a pub nearby - I've heard it's the oldest in Nottingham! When I visited this place a few months ago in a family reunion, there was a football team gathered here plus a load of men dressed up as roman women!

It was very entertaining. You should definitely stop by!

Or you could visit the forest. I've passed by it but it's beautiful. Just make sure you bring a coat though - it's quite cold! The weather here's fairly temperamental but not as bad as some places.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Personally I love a good old ice skate at the NIC when I'm down there...
Reply 7
Castle sounds good :smile:

The other thing is, I'm staying at the Wollaton Park Travelodge. Am I best leaving the car parked there and bussing it everywhere?
Reply 8
Sometimes the buses can be a bit crowded. It's up to you though. They may be a bit more expensive considering Christmas is almost here.

But it'd be better than paying for all of the petrol you'd be using. I'd say it would be cost effective, so sure, go for it.

But make sure you know your way around! Don't get lost!
Reply 9
they have an ice rink. go ice skating
There's also Wallaton House, the natural history museum is housed in there, plus its a beautiful building (the new Batman film was filmed there) plus its in Wollaton Park, which is beautiful, with lots of deers roaming about :smile:
Reply 11
Sounds good, thanks for the suggestions :smile:
Reply 12
A night out in nottingham can be wild
Reply 13
Daytime you could check out the Market Square in the middle of town, they've got their Christmas Market all set up and if I remember correctly there was an outdoors ice-rink set up there too. :smile:

Then once you've spent enough time there, there's all the shops and things around you to keep you entertained.

Head to Cornerhouse for lunch and catch a movie to pass some time?

Night's out are pretty sweet too, I'm a student there and bar-crawling through the Lace Market has to be one of my favourite things to do on a night out in Nottingham. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Any good places to go of an evening? Like, 10pm onwards after my gig has finished?
Reply 15
Other than going to a bar I don't believe there's anything. Most shops would be shut at that time so I'd suggest you go back to your hotel and rest, then explore a bit the next morning perhaps.

What days will you be staying?
Reply 16
Arriving tomorrow early afternoon, going home Wednesday afternoon.
Reply 17
Hmmm.

The castle, museum... I'd also suggest going to Cineworld.

Really good place. I've been there myself. The popcorn is quite expensive though. There are a few films on. Twilight Breaking Dawn, Christmas Eve, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked and a few others if you're into those.

http://www.cineworld.co.uk/cinemas/49
Reply 18
There's the new Sherlock Holmes movie :smile: I think I'll put that off until I get home.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest