The Student Room Group

How is medicine assessed?

On unistats for every university i have checked it has said:
0% 1st class degree ect.
100% clased as 'other'

my step brother is thinking of applying and would like to know
SO baisially my question is how do you guarentee you pass? what is classes as a pass? the equivilant of a 1st? 2:1?

or is there like a % you need to get each year to progress onto the next?

thankyou!

Scroll to see replies

I think it depends on each medical school, although there is a pass mark.
Reply 2
Original post by 05dochertyf
0% 1st class degree ect.
100% clased as 'other'

SO baisially my question is how do you guarentee you pass? what is classes as a pass? the equivilant of a 1st? 2:1?

thankyou!

Pretty much the part in bold. Most schools have a (merit)/pass/fail system. If you fail there is the opportunity for re-takes. Fail those and generally you can no longer continue with the course, although such cases are few and often due to other, personal issues with the candidate. At least, that is how it works here and i am under the impression it is similar elsewhere.
Reply 3
pass/fail
Reply 4
Original post by No Future
pass/fail

Distinction?
It's all pass/fail, although if you do a course with an intercalated degree you will get a mark for that (eg 2i).
Reply 6
Original post by Medican
Distinction?

Just bragging rights really...
Medicine is 2 * ordinary degrees (BM and BS; Bachelor of medicine and Bachelor of Surgery- all the other variations are down to the use of real or cod latin in the title of the degree - except the irish who have BAO as well which is obstetrics) plus a third( in number) honours degree if you intercalate - as others have said intercalated degrees are graded as normal.

as the famous saying goes ,

- what do you call the person who graduated last in their class in medical school ?

- Doctor .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by thegodofgod
although there is a pass mark.

Not always - at least not a fixed one.

Most honours degrees work on the basis that 40% is a pass (i.e. a 3rd) so as long as you get 40% you pass. With medicine, at least at Manchester, the majority of exams are cohort marked - if your mark is two or more standard deviations below the mean mark you fail. The only change from this is with clinical OSCEs, where a mark of 57% is required to pass - though there are conditions attached to this regarding how many stations you can fail and the actual marks you get for each station.
0% 1st class degree ect.
100% clased as 'other'

thankyou!

just pass/fail.....

nothing else
Reply 10
At my university, apparently candidates are also awarded a class (1st, 2:1, etc.) at the end of each year.
Original post by theatrical
Not always - at least not a fixed one.

Most honours degrees work on the basis that 40% is a pass (i.e. a 3rd) so as long as you get 40% you pass. With medicine, at least at Manchester, the majority of exams are cohort marked - if your mark is two or more standard deviations below the mean mark you fail. The only change from this is with clinical OSCEs, where a mark of 57% is required to pass - though there are conditions attached to this regarding how many stations you can fail and the actual marks you get for each station.

Ouch, so in the hypothetical and unlikely event that everyone does really well, say the lowest mark is 70%, would the lowest ranking few still fail?
Ouch, so in the hypothetical and unlikely event that everyone does really well, say the lowest mark is 70%, would the lowest ranking few still fail?

Yep.
Reply 13
thanks every one, very helpfull :smile:
Reply 14
Yep.

This is such a good system to be honest. Keeps everyone on their feet at all times, as doctors should be. Too bad I could never get into manchester :frown:
Reply 15
At good old Brum, just get 50% in each module.
Varies from uni to uni, but it's pretty much a pass/fail sort of gig everywhere.

At Newcastle you can get Merit, Satisfactory, Borderline, or Unsatisfactory, with the first two being a pass and the latter two being a fail. The distinction between M/S and B/U are for the most part perfunctory, though obviously your ranking within your year does go some small way to supporting your F1 application.

The pass mark here waivers depending on the years overall performance, but there is no hard and fast ">2 standard deviations below must fail". If everyone in the year suddenly got 90% plus, everyone would pass.
The pass mark tends to fluctuate around the low 50s (%) from what i've seen so far.
In preclinical, Cambridge has stuff you have to pass to progress (usually MCQs/short answer), and then there are essays which get classified as well. You need to get 40% in the combined total of essays and the "stuff you have to pass" to progress.

Pass marks vary between 50% to 70% usually. I think the pass marks would be adjusted depending on the year's performance; I don't think they'd ever pass the whole year without making some do resits, although there is no strict quota on how many must pass or fail.
Reply 18
0% 1st class degree ect.
100% clased as 'other'

thankyou!

This varies between medical schools. There are no 1st class degrees but at the end of your course, you will be ranked into quartiles which the GMC and your future NHS employer will be able to view. This was only recently implemented here at Sheffield.

Yep.

Original post by .eXe
This is such a good system to be honest. Keeps everyone on their feet at all times, as doctors should be. Too bad I could never get into manchester :frown:

Nope. Again, this will vary between medical schools. Certainly not in Sheffield. If you pass all your exams, it doesn't matter if you are the bottom % or the top %. However, you will be ranked into quartiles and if I'm not wrong, at Sheffield, you even get your exact rank placement in the year (e.g. Ranked 14 / 240). That system may keep everyone on their feet but it will be unfair to many people who deserve to pass just because there were others with slightly higher scores. I feel that they should be assessed individually, on their own merit. Not in comparison to the rest of the year group.
Original post by Vulpes
This varies between medical schools. There are no 1st class degrees but at the end of your course, you will be ranked into quartiles which the GMC and your future NHS employer will be able to view. This was only recently implemented here at Sheffield.

Apparently that's getting changed into you being ranked in to eighths (octiles?!) or deciles instead.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending