The Student Room Group

Desperately Need Advice On Career Choice!!

Hello everyone..

I'm currently retaking A levels at College (Law, Psychology, French and Business Studies) I'm retaking because i was plain lazy the first time around and I massively underachieved (A,C,E) But I seem to have matured an incredible amount during the last year and i'm extremelly confident that i can achieve very good grades. My attitude towards education has shot up through the roof.

My main focus is at college is Law and i'm doing pretty well at the moment. My concern is, to get a good job in the legal sector i will have to study for years and years to come!! I'm 19 at the moment and my rough guess is that i'll be studying until i'm 25/26. My question is; is it really worth it? I would very much like a career in law for financial reasons as well as the fact that I find it very interesting. But I wont be earning money until i'm about 26! I don't know what I should do?! Help!!
Reply 1
Well that's a decision you're going to have to make, isn't it?
Reply 2
My mother's a lawyer and I'd advise you not to be misled by the glossy image of lawyers on TV. Firstly, that's normally criminal law, and there are many other areas, and secondly, only a small proportion of lawyers end up earning very high salaries. You need ability, but also a kind of 'pushy' personality to get there.

I'm not saying don't do law, if you enjoy it you should definitely do it, but don't do it if you find it alright and think it will guarantee you unimaginable wealth and happiness. You need to think over how passionately you feel about the subject and look at university options. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest