The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam, Primary Education Interview.

Hi everyone,
I've just received an interview for Primary Education, it's not for some time yet although I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the process is like and the types of questions that they may ask me?!
Thankyou!!
Also is it a group interview?! they didn't say ..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone?! :frown:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by annoymous-x
Hi everyone,
I've just received an interview for Primary Education, it's not for some time yet although I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the process is like and the types of questions that they may ask me?!
Thankyou!!
Also is it a group interview?! they didn't say ..

Hey! I have my interview for sheffield hallam tomorrow, I've heard the maths test is quite tricky, just had my liverpool john moores interview for today but its very different apparently for the sheffield one, have you had yours yet?
Reply 3
Original post by natalieslr
Hey! I have my interview for sheffield hallam tomorrow, I've heard the maths test is quite tricky, just had my liverpool john moores interview for today but its very different apparently for the sheffield one, have you had yours yet?

Hey! How did your interview go? I've got mine at Sheffield Hallam next week :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by helen90
Hey! How did your interview go? I've got mine at Sheffield Hallam next week :smile:
Hi.. In all honesty I didn't think it went too well at all, but I suppose I'm not one to think highly of something I have done! However I have received a conditional offer from them! I did think the two people interviewing me weren't exactly ideal either, they didn't try to respond to y answers and both of them were darting their eyes across the room the majority of the time, then again they're not there to be my friend and I understand that but it was disencouraging to think I was boring them that much that they weren't listening? However the other interviewers were apparently very friendly so it was probably just my luck. The tests are both fine, nothing to worry about. So good luck!
Reply 5
Hi.. In all honesty I didn't think it went too well at all, but I suppose I'm not one to think highly of something I have done! However I have received a conditional offer from them! I did think the two people interviewing me weren't exactly ideal either, they didn't try to respond to y answers and both of them were darting their eyes across the room the majority of the time, then again they're not there to be my friend and I understand that but it was disencouraging to think I was boring them that much that they weren't listening? However the other interviewers were apparently very friendly so it was probably just my luck. The tests are both fine, nothing to worry about. So good luck!

hi, I have my interview on Tuesday and it says about the one to one interview as well as a 5 minute teaching task, I'm just wondering how that went, what was included and if there is any major aspects I need to worry about, thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Jescha11
hi, I have my interview on Tuesday and it says about the one to one interview as well as a 5 minute teaching task, I'm just wondering how that went, what was included and if there is any major aspects I need to worry about, thanks :smile:

The teaching task was fine, no problems with that, they didn't really say much and as I was the first I didn't know whether they were timing me or not, turns out the don't, so don't worry too much about timing. From what I can remember the interview questions are just very standard, why do you want to be a teacher etc etc. there is nothing to worry about except arrive with time to spare as they ended up taking us across the road and round the corner to another building, so if you are late it can be difficult to find where you may be from the original building and the last thing you need is walking in late and feeling all worked up!
The maths and English test are fine so don't worry about it
Reply 7
Just had my interview, I don't really think it went all that well I was really nervous :frown: They said they will let us know in about 3 weeks.
Reply 8
The teaching task was fine, no problems with that, they didn't really say much and as I was the first I didn't know whether they were timing me or not, turns out the don't, so don't worry too much about timing. From what I can remember the interview questions are just very standard, why do you want to be a teacher etc etc. there is nothing to worry about except arrive with time to spare as they ended up taking us across the road and round the corner to another building, so if you are late it can be difficult to find where you may be from the original building and the last thing you need is walking in late and feeling all worked up!
The maths and English test are fine so don't worry about it

For the teaching task did you teach the other people in the room as if they were kids in a class? Or did you teach them a way that they could teach kids if they were teaching?
Reply 9
Original post by Cjparker93
For the teaching task did you teach the other people in the room as if they were kids in a class? Or did you teach them a way that they could teach kids if they were teaching?

You just need to practise your gcse maths mainly fractions, percentages, multiplication and division. Your 5 min presentation on something you can go in a lesson as a warm up or game. The interview are simple questions on your experiences and knowledge. And final one on recent topics on education.
Original post by Cjparker93

This is what I need to know too!! I have my interview on 9th Jan and I'm really nervous about this teaching task as I don't know what is expected of me!
Can anyone help? Please?

(Apologises for bringing up an old thread!)
Also, what sort of questions will they ask me during the one on one interview? I wanna be perpared as Sheffield Hallam is my first choice and I don't wanna screw it up. I've only had one interview before and I froze up! Not like me at all! But I don't want the same thing to happen again
Original post by katyakay96
Also, what sort of questions will they ask me during the one on one interview? I wanna be perpared as Sheffield Hallam is my first choice and I don't wanna screw it up. I've only had one interview before and I froze up! Not like me at all! But I don't want the same thing to happen again

This is exactly what I need help with! What sort of questions did you get asked at your other interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katie_elizabeth
This is exactly what I need help with! What sort of questions did you get asked at your other interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't an interview for a university unfortunately... It was for Mcdonalds...and I was rejected within 2 hours of my interview I screwed up that much!!!
I visited my careers advisor at my college and she gave me these questions to prepare with but she told me not to prepare too religiously as those question may not be asked and it'll screw me up!

Have you got an interview at Sheffield Hallam for Early Years/Primary too then?

Why do you want to be a teacher?

-Why do you want to teach early years specifically?

-How do children learn?

-How could you enthuse and inspire children’s learning?

-Tell me about your work experience.

-What teaching methods have you witnessed on your work experience that you thought were good? How would you build on this?

-What teaching methods have you witnessed on your work experience that you thought were bad? How would you do it differently?

-What skills do you think you have that would make you a good teacher?

-What skills do you have that would make you a good undergraduate student?
It wasn't an interview for a university unfortunately... It was for Mcdonalds...and I was rejected within 2 hours of my interview I screwed up that much!!!
I visited my careers advisor at my college and she gave me these questions to prepare with but she told me not to prepare too religiously as those question may not be asked and it'll screw me up!

Have you got an interview at Sheffield Hallam for Early Years/Primary too then?

Why do you want to be a teacher?

-Why do you want to teach early years specifically?

-How do children learn?

-How could you enthuse and inspire children’s learning?

-Tell me about your work experience.

-What teaching methods have you witnessed on your work experience that you thought were good? How would you build on this?

-What teaching methods have you witnessed on your work experience that you thought were bad? How would you do it differently?

-What skills do you think you have that would make you a good teacher?

-What skills do you have that would make you a good undergraduate student?

I've applied for primary at Sheffield Hallam and have an interview on the 21st January. Thank you so much for this! I've had hardly any help from college about this sort of thing so this really helps my preparation as I had no idea what sort of things to expect!:biggrin:
I've applied for primary at Sheffield Hallam and have an interview on the 21st January. Thank you so much for this! I've had hardly any help from college about this sort of thing so this really helps my preparation as I had no idea what sort of things to expect!:biggrin:

No problem, don't mention it! I've wrote up my answers to those questions and I feel a lot more prepared now. My college is really good with stuff like that, I had one to one meeting weekly with the careers advisor when I was writing my personal statement
No problem, don't mention it! I've wrote up my answers to those questions and I feel a lot more prepared now. My college is really good with stuff like that, I had one to one meeting weekly with the careers advisor when I was writing my personal statement

I think I might do that so I feel a bit more prepared! What other uni's have you applied to?
I think I might do that so I feel a bit more prepared! What other uni's have you applied to?

Just Sheffield Hallam, and Leeds Trinity, but I really wanna go to Hallam so that I can stay home, because I'm not ready to leave home just yet
How about you?
Just Sheffield Hallam, and Leeds Trinity, but I really wanna go to Hallam so that I can stay home, because I'm not ready to leave home just yet
How about you?

Sheffield hallam, york St. John's and manchester met - I can't wait to leave home!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheffield hallam, york St. John's and manchester met - I can't wait to leave home!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaa, most people can't! I wanted to, and I was also going to apply to York St. John's but I dunno, I don't feel old enough to be moving out. I think it's because I don't turn 18 until May so I feel like a baby still. University still feels like it should be a million miles away but its not, scary really!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending