The Student Room Group

So, you want to go to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi,

I'm going to go to either Australia or New Zealand for a year (starting this summer). I was wondering whether it's really worth going through an organisation like BUNAC? Or should I just go it alone?

I'd be very grateful for any answers/advice from people who have been there and done it :smile:
Original post by Mbal
Hi,

I'm going to go to either Australia or New Zealand for a year (starting this summer). I was wondering whether it's really worth going through an organisation like BUNAC? Or should I just go it alone?

I'd be very grateful for any answers/advice from people who have been there and done it :smile:

I have just booked work New Zealand with BUNAC and cannot wait! I chose to go through with BUNAC because it is just extra support when you get there. I know that if I went there alone I would probably panic when I arrived. It is nice to know that there is someone at the other end to hep me if I get stuck with anything. I also chose the Hong Kong stopover group flights because it would be nice to get to know other people when I get there. And if I dont get along with any of them, there is nothing tying me to them.
My mum worked around New Zealand when she was younger (one of the reasons why I want to go!) and she was constantly meeting new people. If you stay at a youth hostel there are constantly people coming and going (both in groups and singles), so I'm sure you could find someone to tag around with.
I think it really depends on how confident you are, and whether you are prepared to jump in at the deep end.
Good luck to whatever you choose!
Original post by fadedviolinst

Original post by fadedviolinst
Thank you Origami!

I'm actually Taiwanese, but I live in the US! I checked that Taiwan passports are eligible.
And I thought the British and Australian accent were more similar than the US, that's why I was worried.
It's quite hard to find a job here in the US, especially since I'm only 17 now :frown: But I'll see what I can do!

Thanks again for your input!

I can assure you that tge Aussie and British accents arev different! You'll even get to know tge difference between an aussie and a new Zealand accent (the key is in tge vowels :wink:)

You'll find lots of Asian supermarkets in major cities, (especially Sydney, which has an amazing Chinatown) too :smile:
Original post by Hearty_Beast

Original post by Hearty_Beast
Hi, I'd love to go out to Australia (possibly longer term), but have already applied to uni and am not sure whether i feel 'ready' yet...
Does the same process apply if you take a 'gap year' or even move out there for a few years after uni, I've heard mention of 'skilled migrant' visa above... what does that involve?

Ditto what Callum said, but I'll also note that employer sponsorship is another (cheaper) option, if you can get it :smile:

Original post by Mbal
Hi,

I can't say that I have any direct experience with bunac, but in general they often have a bit of a reputation for ripping you off. I went with OzIntro, who were quite good, and I made loads of friends who I kept in contact with throughout my trip. It's quite good value for money - I don't think I could have done what I did with them any cheaper myself. However, from an admin point of view I had already sorted most of that out in the few days I had between my flight landing and OzIntro starting, so that was of limited usefulness. You also need to beware that the trips and activities they try and sell you towards the end of tge week are definitely overpriced and can be found cheaper elsewhere (I suspect that this is where they make their money).

Anyway, if you do go by yourself then you will cope (everyone does!) and if you get lost / need some help or advice, then other backpackers are a fount of knowledge that should be Picked at almost any opportunity!

Ps sorry for tge terrible typing and autocowrecks - damn iPod again whilst the laptop is broken!
Reply 25
Are there places you can recommend worth staying at in Australia where it won't be too competitive? I don't want to spend my time in the middle of nowhere I would rather be living in a city.
Original post by bhoyjd

Original post by bhoyjd
Are there places you can recommend worth staying at in Australia where it won't be too competitive? I don't want to spend my time in the middle of nowhere I would rather be living in a city.

Sydney and Melbourne are probablyt the two most competitive cities. That's not to say that you won't find work there, but it might be a bit harder.

I worked in Brisbane (it's a good "living" city, but not much to see) and had job offers coming out of my ears (but then again I also know people who claimed to be completely unable to find work there . . . ) Perth is also meant to be nice, and as it's off the standard east coast route, it'll be less competitive for backpackers (ditto Adelaide). Cairns is nice, but nowhere near as big as the other cities, and it's at the beginning / end of the route, so it's competitive. Alice Springs is tiny (40,000 people) with not that many job opportunities, and I can't say that I know much about Darwin, although it is meant to be a nice city.

Anyway, look hard enough, dress smartly, have experience / add gloss to your CV, don't be fussy, and give it at least a couple of weeks, and you'll find work in any good sized city :wink:
Reply 27
Original post by Mbal
Hi,

Go it alone!!! Honestly, NZ and Aus are Western English speaking countries, full of backpackers doing just the same thing as you! It sounds scary while you're sat researching while in the UK, but once you get there you'll realise it's not. The things that BUNAC claims they help you with (getting social insurance number, bank account, visa) are so easy....involving filling out a few forms and walking into a bank. They make it sound difficult but it seriously isn't. The visa is particularly straightforward....apply online and you can receive it within the week, if not within 48 hours or so! Then book into a hostel for the first week and you'll be sorted within days for the basic stuff, and just have to look for a job like everyone else. If you're not picky then there is lots of casual backpacker work out there.

For reference - spent my post-college gap year living/working in New Zealand and now doing the same in Canada post-university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Hey...

I went to America (different I know) this summer to work and considered doing it by myself because I thought it might be cheaper... but then I realised I couldn't be bothered to do all the paper work type stuff because visas were difficult (plus I needed a sponsor) and needed someone to tell me how to do it/what to do at the embassy/ and how to get a social security number once I was there! So I used BUNAC

I dunno if it is easier in Australia with working visas etc but to flexibly work in America it was difficult. I know the visa BUNAC does for Australia is a working year one which has to be split into two 6 month periods (different jobs because the country wants you to travel whilst visiting) because I looked at going here too (may actually go after I've done uni, love Australia!)

Have fuuuuun :smile:
Reply 29
What are the costs of going away for like a year, just a really simple estimate since I assume I will end up losing money. lets say I get by ok earning 300 dollar a week
I never thought about bringing a laptop to go backpacking. I'd be a little worried about it getting damaged or stolen or lost or something :erm:. Plus, it's pretty heavy and bulky to keep carrying around with evertything, unless I take a mini laptop instead.
Reply 31
Thank you for all the information/advice, very helpful
Original post by bhoyjd

Original post by bhoyjd
What are the costs of going away for like a year, just a really simple estimate since I assume I will end up losing money. lets say I get by ok earning 300 dollar a week

How long is a piece of string? Ultimately, you will need to thing about how long you will work for (you should be able to earn significantly more than $300pw), where you will live, how much travel you want to do and what sort of activities you want to do along the way.

I generally spent $300pw, plus what I spent on 'big ticket' items such as my bus pass, skydiving and Fraser Island.

PS If you don't go home skint, you've not been doing it right :wink:
Reply 33
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I never thought about bringing a laptop to go backpacking. I'd be a little worried about it getting damaged or stolen or lost or something :erm:. Plus, it's pretty heavy and bulky to keep carrying around with evertything, unless I take a mini laptop instead.

A lot of people have netbooks - probably what you're thinking of when you said 'mini laptops.'

Backpacking and working in Australia/New Zealand is totally different in my opinion. If I'm travelling non-stop for 3 months then I wouldn't take a laptop. Living in a different country for year? Yes, for sure. I'm living in Canada now and have my Macbook with me, makes life a whole lot easier.

Original post by H'Rietta
but then I realised I couldn't be bothered to do all the paper work type stuff because visas were difficult (plus I needed a sponsor) and needed someone to tell me how to do it/what to do at the embassy/ and how to get a social security number once I was there! So I used BUNAC

I dunno if it is easier in Australia with working visas etc but to flexibly work in America it was difficult. I know the visa BUNAC does for Australia is a working year one which has to be split into two 6 month periods (different jobs because the country wants you to travel whilst visiting) because I looked at going here too (may actually go after I've done uni, love Australia!)

Yep, Australia is much easier. America is a totally different ball game. Australia has a huge all year round traveller community, many many more casual jobs/work on offer....seriously, there is a decent amount of their economy that runs on it (fruit picking, hostels etc), it's entirely different to the US.

The visa is totally different too, no sponsor needed at all. Spend 20 minutes filling out the online application , all being well (i.e. you're not a criminal) you'll get it within a few days. Easy. Banking, social insurance, all very straightforward. Book into any hostel in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane etc when you arrive and you'll quickly meet another working holiday traveller (probably British/Irish...!) or speak to the receptionist and they'll tell you everything you need to know within 5 minutes flat. Done!

Original post by bhoyjd

Like someone else said, that's a seriously open ended question. Depends on where you go, what you do, what sort of person you are, how much you went out there with etc etc.

I'm in Canada right now and working full time at minimum wage and living in a really cheap place and running an inexpensive car, so I'm actually earning quite a lot (especially as I will get my tax back!)....but I'm planning to travel a lot this summer so will probably spend a decent chunk of that money. Still want a good amount left over for savings before I start work again in August/September though, and then will do the same next summer too. The savings will then enable me to travel to New Zealand (and visit a few places on the way! to start a working holiday there in Sept/Nov 2013. For reference, I came out to Canada with about 500 pounds. Not advisable, since it took a bit of time to get a job, but it's still do-able, as long as you're not picky about jobs!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Origami Bullets
Origami Bullets' Big Australian WHV FAQ

So, you want to spent several months in Australia on a working holiday visa . . . I've been there, done that, and I've noticed a lot of people wanting advice, so here's my FAQ. Please post any questions you have below :smile:

What will I need before I go?
- Flights STA (who often do good deals on flights, but are a rip-off for anything else) and AirAsia aren't bad bets for getting the cheapest flights.
- A visa working holiday visas can be obtained from www.immi.gov.au and they cost $270. Don't go anywhere else they're going to rip you off. WHVs allow you to stay in Australia for up to a year, working for each employer for no more than six months. If you want to stay for another year, then you will have to do three months of 'designated work' (farm work often fruit picking in the middle of nowhere) whilst on your first WHV to be eligible. If you don't want to work there, then 3/6 month tourist visas are available.
- Travel insurance yes, you may be covered by medicare (more about that later), but medicare doesn't cover you for things like ambulances, nor does it cover you for things like your baggage being lost or stolen. Make sure it covers you for working, and any activities that you think you might do e.g. scuba diving or skydiving.
- A bank account it's necessary to have your wages paid into. You can set it up & transfer money before you go, and then activate when you get there (you'll need to show your passport and visa). Some of the most popular banks are Commonwealth, Westpac, ANZ and NAB, although the latter's card cannot be used online as it's not a Visa / Mastercard.
- Luggage a wheelie case is entirely viable in Australia, but if you plan on going somewhere like SE Asia, then buy a backpack their pavements simply aren't up to wheelie cases. Try and pack light you will accumulate more stuff over there, and if you forget something then it's not the end of the world you can always replace it later.

What will I need to do when I get there?
- Medicare card essentially it's a bit like the Australian NHS, and we're covered under a reciprocal scheme. However, it doesn't cover everything, so you'll need travel insurance too. To get it, fill out an application form from http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/ and then take it to your nearest Medicare office once you get there.
- Tax File Number necessary to stop you being taxed at 48%. You can get one from www.ato.gov.au , but you can only do it once you've entered Australia. You get a 30-day grace period in which you will not be taxed at 48%, which gives you time for the TFN to arrive. When you leave Australia, or at the end of the tax year on 30th June, you can claim back all your tax and 'super' (pension contributions).

Where will I live?
- Hostels are the biggest source of accommodation for backpackers. In them, you will share a dorm with anywhere between 3 and 31 other backpackers (the larger the better if you ask me, although opinions vary). You'll also share a bathroom and kitchen.
[INDENT]- But won't my stuff get nicked? I found backpackers to be surprisingly honest when it comes to big ticket items e.g. laptops and iPods I was forever leaving my laptop unsecured but out of sight (sometimes in plain view though) and it was never stolen. Food, however, is a different matter. In the end, I resorted to buying a blue cool bag from Coles / Woolworths (the two big Australian supermarkets) and padlocking it, which did the trick.
- Aren't they dirty? They're of varying standards. If you manage to go through your entire trip without seeing a cockroach, then I will be highly surprised. Most of the time they're alright though. However, if you're going to be returning to start uni and live in halls, then it will be good practice for living in places where people don't clean up after themselves :wink: And yes, someone is going to have sex in your room sooner or later. Just hope it's not in the bed above / below yours the shaking is rather annoying.
- I want to stay in a hostel long-term! OK that can definitely be arranged. All hostels take on “work for accommodation” staff. As the name suggests, you work for around 15 hours a week in exchange for free accommodation in a staff / long-termers dorm. The work typically involves housekeeping, cleaning the communal kitchen and doing the laundry. It also comes with perks like getting all the goon and other personal belongings (e.g. I have an Abercrombie top from housekeeping; a room mate had iPod speakers) that guests leave behind. If you don't fancy that, then you should be able to negotiate a discount and a move to a long-termers dorm if you agree to stay for a set period of time (typically several weeks / months).
- The best hostels tend to have no bar, but some organised social events. Hostels with a bar tend to be entirely focused on getting you into that bar to spend money, and they often have the noise coming into your room until 3am, whereas hostels without bars tend to organise things like goon pong (like beer pong!), free BBQs, trivia nights and bar crawls all good ways to meet people.
Www.hostelbookers.com is a good way to find hostels, although I have typically found the reviews to be slightly pessimistic.
- You'll find that laundry is expensive normally $4 per wash. Make friends with someone who has been backpacking for a while, and ask them to show you how to operate them with cotton buds instead :biggrin:
- In the end, hostels are the worst living arrangement you could possibly have (on paper) - but you'll also strangely miss it when you leave :wink: [/INDENT]
- You can also stay in a campervan, but you will need to consider
[INDENT]- It's illegal to sleep in a campervan by the side of the road, so make sure you don't get caught
- You still need to shower somewhere. Whilst the showers at Bondi might be an attractive proposition in January, you'll probably die if you try it in July.
- Campervans are expensive and have a horrible tendency to break down in the middle of the Outback, where no car will pass for the next three days.
- Unless you're renting, you'll need find someone to sell it to at the end of your trip. [/INDENT]
- Campsites for tent owners are also occasionally available, but IMHO it's not really worth it there are relatively few of them, and if you buy a tent from another backpacker, you'll probably find it's going to leak (mine flooded :facepalm:).
- If you're going to be staying in the same place for a couple of months, then getting a room in a houseshare is also often possible. Whilst I never tried this, my friend stayed with a group of Aussie students, and a ragtag bunch of backpackers who lived with a nice couple. Try gumtree if you're interested.

I don't have any friends to go with won't I be lonely for my entire trip?
- No most people are travelling by themselves, and they want to make friends too. Typically you'll meet friends in hostels, but also on organised trips. The kitchen, and over a cup of goon in the evening, are typical places to meet people. The friendships you make are strangely intense, but often short lived. Even so, I've kept in contact with a few of them to this day.
- Wait what's this goon stuff you speak of? It's the only alcohol you'll be able to afford. It's 4 or 5 litres in a bag-in-box, and it costs around $14 for a box. Fruity Lexia is the most palatable, but it's still an acquired taste. If you're struggling with the taste, try adding lemonade, juice or squash for “magic goon”. Thinking of buying vodka instead? Ok, but it's $40 for a 750ml bottle . . .

How will I get around Australia?
There are a two main options:
- Campervan (as discussed previously) it's one main advantage being that it gives you the ability to get off the beaten track more.
- Bus
[INDENT]- OzExperience offer a hop-on-hop-off backpacker bus up the East Coast and across a few other routes. However, I went with them from Byron Bay to Cairns and found that it didn't quite live up to all the marketing hype certainly I never made any friends on the bus, I made them all in hostels. There's also only one bus a day which is surprisingly annoying if you're pushed for time, and it's more expensive.
- Greyhound also offer hop-on-hop-off bus passes. They are cheaper, and contain a lot of locals (with whom I had many interesting conversations I don't think I'll ever forget the aboriginal lady asking me if I'd heard about the riots in England :biggrin:) The buses are more comfortable, there are several a day and there are night buses. Night buses = not having to pay for a night's accommodation! [/INDENT]

What about an organised tour of Australia?
- Well, if you want a sub-standard trip for twice the price then go ahead . . . typically they offer some very rushed group transport & accommodation up the east coast at an inflated price, and you have to fork out more if you actually want to see anything. Companies such as Contiki are particularly bad for this.
- The only tour that I've come across that I think is any good is OzIntro's seven day trip (www.ozintro.com). Essentially it's a week in Sydney aimed at people who've just arrived in Australia and you get a variety of organised activities, and you do all the admin stuff like medicare cards and TFNs. If you add up the cost of everything they give you, you couldn't really do it any cheaper anyway, and it's a great way to make friends, but don't be fooled into thinking that you can't get all the admin stuff done yourself.

How much is it going to cost me?
- Not gonna lie, the exchange rate is currently punishing, so a lot.
- The visa states that you need $5000 to support you until you can find work, but in reality they never actually check, and that's rather pessimistic anyway.
- I found that it generally cost me about $300pw for survival i.e. a hostel, food, goon, a couple of nights out and a small luxury.
- You also need to budget for things like a 4WD trip around Fraser Island, Whitsundays, skydiving, seeing the Great Barrier Reef etc.
- There are numerous travel agents (Adventure Travel Bugs, Peter Pans, Wicked Travel, Tribal Travel etc.), all of whom will offer you discounts / freebies if you book multiple things at once with them. They also all have a price-beat guarantee. Hence, I walked around about four of them, getting each to beat the offer of the one before. I got a really good deal in the end, just through haggling.

How easy is it to find work out there? How much can I earn?
- Australia never went into recession like most of the Western world did, so relatively easy. However, you can't afford to be too picky about what kind of work you take bar, restaurant, cleaning. Door-to-door selling and fruit picking are the most common occupations for backpackers. Your time in Australia is unlikely to be hugely career-enhancing in terms of experience. You also need to actually quit moaning that you don't have a job, print off some CVs, and get out there pounding the pavements looking for work. Jobs are not going to come and find you.
- Work is so much easier to find if you actually have experience in a related area, so try and get some before you go. If you can't, you may find yourself doing a bit of CV-puffery. You'll also need to tell a couple of porkies and tell them that you will be working there for the next six months, else they won't take you on.
- Don't sit around in your hostel, moaning that you need a job. It won't help. The best way to find work is to dress smartly (shirt + smart black jeans will do), and walk around with your CV, going into every bar / restaurant / shop etc. along the way, asking to speak to the manager and asking if they have any work available. Gumtree and Seek are also sources of work. If you want to do harvest work (i.e. fruit picking), then check out the Harvest Trail website. If you want to do more general farm work in return for bed and board, then check out www.helpx.net and www.workaway.info
Most backpackers check out the central areas, near to their hostel initially. This is fine, but don't forget to try some more out of the way shopping malls (e.g. the Westfield chain).
- After that bit of doom-and-gloom, there is some good news the wages are fantastic. You can expect to earn $18-20ph plus tips in jobs such as waitressing, which is more than twice what you would earn in the UK at the current exchange rates (2011).

How will I keep in contact with my mum / dad / friends / pet budgie?
- Internet in hostels is strangely expensive usually $4ph. If you can, take your laptop and go to McDonalds and use their free wifi.
- Unlock your phone before you go, and then insert an Australian sim when you get there. Avoid Vodafone and go for a network that piggybacks off of the Optus or Telstra networks, such as Virgin.
- If you forget to do that, then the cheapest option is to buy a cheap backpacker phone out there typically a Nokia 1800. They cost around $30, and include $30 worth of credit anyway :smile:

Anyway, these are a the answers to a selection of the most commonly asked questions on TSR about Aussie WHVs. If you have a question that I haven't answered above, then ask away below and I'll answer :smile:

Awesome post! Made me so excited about going
This is from another thread :smile:

Original post by Ning77
Hi

I'm in my last year of school and planning on taking a gap year after my A2s.
I've decided that I would ideally like to work on a farm/cattle station in the Australian outback for a bit. I've been looking at the program offered by RealGap, but have heard some bad things about them. I've spoken to someone who took that course, but it would be good to hear from others, particularly those who booked independently or with other companies.

Anyone who can shed some light on the best way to go about this would be very helpful.

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't advise going via RealGap - they tend to be vastly overpriced for what they are.

For fruit / veg picking, you don't need any experience, but the work is backbreaking and generally not a lot of fun. The only reason people do it is to get their second year visa (3 months work on a farm = another 12 month WHV :awesome:)

For cattle / livestock based work, I gather experience is generally something that they like and will vastly increase your chances of finding work. For livestock experience, you can try volunteering at a city farm (one with cattle, ideally speaking!) and/or you could try getting a job as a farm hand to fund your travels (hey, it's different from the standard bar work people do!) I've worked with livestock (in the UK) before, and absolutely loved it - but don't forget that it is nothing other than hard, dirty work.

They can also prefer it if you have some kind of DIY / fencing experience, and a full driving licence will invariably be necessary.

If you want to have a look for paid farm work, then try seek.com.au and gumtree.com.au

If you want to try volunteering in return for bed & board on a farm, then try helpx.net, workaway.info and WWOOF - this can also be a great way to get experience :smile:
Reply 36
Hi all,

I'm currently a second year uni student and I don't plan on staying after my third year for anything extra such as a masters etc. Anyway, recently out of nowhere I have felt this massive urge to go and work abroad for a year after uni and I would really like to go to Australia, especially there since a close family friend will soon be returning from a 2 year stay there and not only has he had the time of his life doing it but he will also no doubt be able to offer some advice does my decision materialise.

I don't think the actual leaving and living there will be much of an issue, I've always worked in what some people would describe as **** jobs (My last two are pot washing and McDonalds kitchen staff and I would happily sink lower) and next year at uni I am hoping to get a job in a bar/pub to get some experience in that area and save some money too, I've also never had a problem being away from home and being self sufficient at all. I would hopefully be leaving around September 2013 for a year or two years (If I get the extension and I will be tyring to get some kind of agricultural job or whatever the requirement is).

My main issue will alomost certainly be getting the money for the trip. Also, I am sort of worried regarding the idea that the trip isn't worth it, not in the sense that it won't be a great experience because I'm sure it will be. But in the sense that it won't boosy my chances of getting a job when I'm back in the UK or that it will maybe even put me on a worse standing than if I hadn't gone. So how did any of you who had done it go about saving up money beforehand or earning money, was it just from working or did you get a little extra help? And so far has the trip been worth its while?

I'm planning on breaking the idea to my parents at some point during the next week and I will no doubt be back then with more issues and I will appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer.
Reply 37
Afternoon

Firstly i'd just like to say a massive thank you for this thread! Reading this has inspired me a hell of alot more of what i want to do! So thanks!!

Anyway

I did a little bit of travelling back in 08, only around Spain, which i learned it wasn't for the right reasons. Was fed up so literally just packed a bag & f-d off to Spain lol. Planned everything though, budgeted myself and wanted to find work but was alot harder than i thought as i don't speak Spanish fluently but some. Anyhow, my friend and i have been talking about going 'down under' for a few years now but unfortunately he has pulled out due to commitments but have my brother tagging along! :smile:

I've recently started renting a property over here in the UK (where i'm from), which at the time i thought was a great idea i saw it as a first step of leaving the 'parents nest', but from looking at everything i'm paying out for, it's just a total waste of money! I have a pretty good job but i'm starting to get to the point where i feel i'm just 'living' lol. I'm 25 now (okay doesn't sound old does it lol) but i feel i'm getting to the point where i need to get out there and enjoy more of my life rather than just spend 3/4's of my wages on bills etc etc!

So yh anyway enough of the boredom already ha! I'm planning on going next June/July which should give me enough time to save save save! I should hopefully have around £7000 - brother should have around £5000 - Would this be sufficient? We're planning on finding work as soon as we get out there. We're not fussed on what we do, just so long as it pays for things & stops us hacking into our money we brought with us & plus working the 3 months or however long it is in order to extend our visa for another year :smile:
We want to travel around as much of aus as much as we can, work in various places, meet new people etc. Questions below;

1) Would it seem strange if i said i would like to meet the aboriginals - learn about their way of life etc?
2) When you arrived in aus - how long did it take for you to find work?
3) Best place to start off at?
4) Is it viable to pack our bags and go or should be consider approaching companies you stated who assist such as 'OZintro'?
5) Once a two year visa is up, is it true you can go to Thailand & then go back to aus?
6) Depending on how well we both get in out there, would there be anychance of us being awarded permanent residency? I'm a skilled IT worker & my brother has an electricians diploma.
7) What are the public transport fares like?
8) Hostel, hotel or a shared apartment first?

Sorry for the crap questions, it's early days yet, i did do alot of research last year but i've lost it all so am back to square one :frown:

If any of you could add anything else i'd really appreciate it :smile:

Many thanks

Chris & Lewis
Original post by st4rguy

So yh anyway enough of the boredom already ha! I'm planning on going next June/July which should give me enough time to save save save! I should hopefully have around £7000 - brother should have around £5000 - Would this be sufficient? We're planning on finding work as soon as we get out there. We're not fussed on what we do, just so long as it pays for things & stops us hacking into our money we brought with us & plus working the 3 months or however long it is in order to extend our visa for another year :smile: It depends on what lifestyle you lead. However, I think that - if you don't want to eat into the money that you have taken with you, then you should plan on working (full time) for between half and two thirds of the time that you are there.
We want to travel around as much of aus as much as we can, work in various places, meet new people etc. Questions below;

1) Would it seem strange if i said i would like to meet the aboriginals - learn about their way of life etc?
It sounds like a very nice idea. Unfortunately, the aboriginal culture that you're thinking of has been largely eroded. A high proportion of aboriginals now live in cities, often with no connection to their ancestral lands etc. Invariably they are quite poor, and rates of alcohol and drug abuse (and its associated social problems) are higher amongst aboriginals. Not that you should believe what you will hear about them all being alcoholics / drunkards - it's simply not true, but because they tend to drink outdoors, their drinking is more visible than that which is done by white people. I met (as in, talked to) the odd Aboriginal on my travels, and they were perfectly nice people - but living lives that were fairly similar to those lead by poorer white Australians!

Those who are living more traditional lives (I think there are some in Arnhem lane in NT) are, however, unlikely to be too keen on the British. Let's face it - we invaded their land, gave out licences to legally kill aboriginals, stole their children (google the 'stolen generation' - it's utterly shocking) and essentially destroyed their way of life.

Whilst they are happy to let people into see some sites (e.g. Uluru, with some caveats e.g. men can't look at some parts, women can't look at others, can't take photos of some bits, can't climb it) and they are happy to tell tourists about their way of life - for money - you're hardly likely to find yourself living as part of the tribe and eating witchetty grubs around the campfire.

The only person I've ever come across who has become really involved with Aboriginals was a Japanese girl. She had learned the local Aboriginal language (Pitcanjaya, I think it was called) of the Aboriginals from Uluru, and was translating from an Aboriginal tour guide who showed tourists around Uluru.

2) When you arrived in aus - how long did it take for you to find work?
I didn't start looking for work straight away, but when I did it took me about a week. I did have lots of bar / restaurant experience though, which was good because there are a limited number of industries that are willing to take backpackers on.
3) Best place to start off at?
As it sounds like you'll want to go and see some of the Aboriginal places, then you'll definitely want to go to the NT. There's essentially one road through NT, which runs from Darwin to Alice Springs, and then down further towards SA. The typical tourist route runs from Melbourne / Sydney to Cairns, and there are a lot of things to do (including some Aboriginal related stuff e.g. Fraser Island has a lot of Aboriginal creation stories surrounding it). The best place to start will depend on the season that you're going in. For you, going in June / July it will be best to start in the tropical north (as it's dry season) i.e. Darwin / Cairns and then work your way down. Summer in the south is December / January.
4) Is it viable to pack our bags and go or should be consider approaching companies you stated who assist such as 'OZintro'?It's entirely viable to pack your bags and go.
5) Once a two year visa is up, is it true you can go to Thailand & then go back to aus?
Yes, but only on a tourist visa - you won't be able to work. Alternatively, you could take some time out between your two one year visas (so that you don't lose time on either of them - once they start running they keep running for a year) and go to Thailand then, or simply go on your way home to the UK after your two years are up.
6) Depending on how well we both get in out there, would there be anychance of us being awarded permanent residency? I'm a skilled IT worker & my brother has an electricians diploma.
If you can find an employer to sponsor you, or your profession is on the skilled migrants list (have a look on immi.gov.au or google for it) then yes. Otherwise, no.
7) What are the public transport fares like?
Very reasonable, although obviously it varies depending on where you are. If you want to go intercity, then Greyhound is the best option.
8) Hostel, hotel or a shared apartment first?
Hostel - cheap, and it lets you get your bearings, meet other people, work out if you really want to stay there for months, look for work without having signed a housing contract, and then househunt if necessary.

Reply 39
Im seriously thinking about heading out in september or october. And iv a few questions.
- Do they check that you have the AUD5000 before or after you buy the visa and pay for a flight over there?
- Do you's know what the cheapest form of accomodation would be?
- What cities have a good balance between goo craic and good employment ops?

Thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest