The Student Room Group

So, you want to go to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BKS
If there's different lists then I don't know hat the difference is. There's so many different sorts of visas but their website really is the best resource for working it out so that's all I can suggest. Maybe you can find a forum with immigrants rather than people on working holiday and they'd know.

Thanks for the help, I apologise for continuously bugging you but I am interested in taking a gap year and spending the year working in Australia, I want to go with a company since they provide accommodation for up to 7 nights and help you to get a job, what they dont provide in the prices is flights and accommodation after this. Do you know of any reliable companies to go with? How much would living and accommodation cost me monthly (in sydney or brisbane)? Its probably going to cost me atleast £1000-2000 to get out there! Expensive but as long as I have a good experience then I dint carr how much I spend!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 481
Original post by Rhyss01
Thanks for the help, I apologise for continuously bugging you but I am interested in taking a gap year and spending the year working in Australia, I want to go with a company since they provide accommodation for up to 7 nights and help you to get a job, what they dont provide in the prices is flights and accommodation after this. Do you know of any reliable companies to go with? How much would living and accommodation cost me monthly (in sydney or brisbane)? Its probably going to cost me atleast £1000-2000 to get out there! Expensive but as long as I have a good experience then I dint carr how much I spend!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oz Intro is the main one, only one I've heard of actually. I don't think it's worth it. Previous post on it (and there's more search).

Sydney I stayed in a cubical in a living room in a 2 bed flat shared with 10 others for $140/week. It's a common set up in Sydney. Hostel will cost you about the same on long term rate. Actual room in a decent house in a central suburb more like $250-300/week. Sydney is a bastard for accommodation, a lot of people rent a room shared ith a mate to get something ok at an affordable price. Those costs are inc bill.

Brisbane a room is more $200.

Cost of living is a piece of string question. If you drink a few times a week, eat out a few times, buy ice cream, pay for attractions, go on organised tours everywhere, go skydriving, cant cook well from scratch etc. then you can spend a fortune in no time.

For me currently living in Melbourne fairly cheaply per week:
$235 rent + bills
$30 food
$35 travel
$15 eating out
$10 other stuff (odd beer, deodorant etc)
$16 gym

when travelling the same but say $27/night hostel (varies from 22-35 depending on place, time of year and how nice it is) instead of rent and $100 additional fun/tourist stuff. I'd say that's cheap but not never having any fun to avoid spending money. It's easy to spend a lot more so if you aren't used to not spending money and you drink then budget more.

Officially you need $5000 (£2700) to get in on a working holiday visa. Everyone I know never got asked to prove it when entering the country but they can reject you at the airport if you don't have a bank statement proving it so it's not wise to risk it.
Original post by BKS
Oz Intro is the main one, only one I've heard of actually. I don't think it's worth it. Previous post on it (and there's more search).

Sydney I stayed in a cubical in a living room in a 2 bed flat shared with 10 others for $140/week. It's a common set up in Sydney. Hostel will cost you about the same on long term rate. Actual room in a decent house in a central suburb more like $250-300/week. Sydney is a bastard for accommodation, a lot of people rent a room shared ith a mate to get something ok at an affordable price. Those costs are inc bill.

Brisbane a room is more $200.

Cost of living is a piece of string question. If you drink a few times a week, eat out a few times, buy ice cream, pay for attractions, go on organised tours everywhere, go skydriving, cant cook well from scratch etc. then you can spend a fortune in no time.

For me currently living in Melbourne fairly cheaply per week:
$235 rent + bills
$30 food
$35 travel
$15 eating out
$10 other stuff (odd beer, deodorant etc)
$16 gym

when travelling the same but say $27/night hostel (varies from 22-35 depending on place, time of year and how nice it is) instead of rent and $100 additional fun/tourist stuff. I'd say that's cheap but not never having any fun to avoid spending money. It's easy to spend a lot more so if you aren't used to not spending money and you drink then budget more.

Officially you need $5000 (£2700) to get in on a working holiday visa. Everyone I know never got asked to prove it when entering the country but they can reject you at the airport if you don't have a bank statement proving it so it's not wise to risk it.

Sorry for the long reply but thanks for the help. Sorry if im annoying you with all these questions but I habe 1 more to ask!. I've looked at BUNAC with my careers advisor today and she said they maybe reliable, however she said that if I go out there I will need to find a job which relates to pharmacy which is what I want to study at uni. With the working holiday visa, is there anyway I could work in thag environment such as being a pharmacy technician? cant ask my career advisor again because I wont see her till next September and I've emailed BUNAC and they wont reply till next monday maybe. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 483
Original post by Rhyss01
Sorry for the long reply but thanks for the help. Sorry if im annoying you with all these questions but I habe 1 more to ask!. I've looked at BUNAC with my careers advisor today and she said they maybe reliable, however she said that if I go out there I will need to find a job which relates to pharmacy which is what I want to study at uni. With the working holiday visa, is there anyway I could work in thag environment such as being a pharmacy technician? cant ask my career advisor again because I wont see her till next September and I've emailed BUNAC and they wont reply till next monday maybe. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know nothing about BUNAC.

You might be able to find a relevant job whilst on working holiday but I wouldn't bet on it. You can only work for 6 months for each employer so it needs to be either a casual job or short contract because almost nobody will hire you for a job they want someone permanent for.

I've applied for a few jobs in my sector, generally ones I'm over qualified for, but never even got an interview. I don't think they believe backpackers won't just bugger off somewhere else in a few weeks which is a barrier to better jobs where as hospitality more expect high staff turn over so don't care.
Original post by BKS
I know nothing about BUNAC.

You might be able to find a relevant job whilst on working holiday but I wouldn't bet on it. You can only work for 6 months for each employer so it needs to be either a casual job or short contract because almost nobody will hire you for a job they want someone permanent for.

I've applied for a few jobs in my sector, generally ones I'm over qualified for, but never even got an interview. I don't think they believe backpackers won't just bugger off somewhere else in a few weeks which is a barrier to better jobs where as hospitality more expect high staff turn over so don't care.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, hoping someone can help me here.

Im wanting to apply for the second working holiday visa but Im a bit confused about the whole applying from either inside or outside australia part. Im currently in Australia on the first working holiday visa which expires at the beginning of November. However, Im returning to England for a family holiday at the end of October so wouldnt be coming back to Oz until after my first visa expires. Can I still apply from inside Australia?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 486
Original post by lisac123
Hi, hoping someone can help me here.

Im wanting to apply for the second working holiday visa but Im a bit confused about the whole applying from either inside or outside australia part. Im currently in Australia on the first working holiday visa which expires at the beginning of November. However, Im returning to England for a family holiday at the end of October so wouldnt be coming back to Oz until after my first visa expires. Can I still apply from inside Australia?

Thanks in advance.

No idea but I'm sure the immigration department will. Probably best you get a 100% sure answer anyways. Of you go on their website then contact us you can find your nearest office, don't think they do a phone number.
hey guys,

heading out to melbourne october 20th, if anybody going around same time or going to be in the area then be cool to know somebody out there.

hit us up on facebook. Benn Locker.

take care.
Great post!

I am thinking of heading to Sydney in October but need to find a job pretty much straight away. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience of finding fruit picking work in the new south wales area? And how easy it is to find this type of work. I realise i will have to move inland away from the city areas!
Had anybody gone/known of anyone who has gone over on the WHV to work as a radiographer/nurse/something similar? I just want to know how easy that is to do. I'm a radiographer and hoping to go next year but the only work i'm interested in is locum radiography work. I know I have to apply for a radiation licence to use there and join the australian institude on radiography but I don't know how long this takes and how easy it would be for an agency to get me work out there (particularly interested in sydney or melbourne). I'm not particularly interested in doing a second year so don't want to do regional farm work. I've seen a few aussies working over here on their equivalent visa so I imagine I can also do the same over there. I'm 26 so the visa won't be an issue.
Reply 490
Hey rainbow! I have friend whose been out there a while now and she is currently doing her farmworks picking apples :smile: not sure exact location but it's around Brisbane area I believe.. She's also done some in a few other areas. I think it's fairly easy to find that sort of work but she says its tough! Take a look at the harvest trail on the government website too. I'm heading out 12th of October so let me know when you decide?! Would be nice to meet up with a few people off here. Goodluck
Hi.

Firstly, this is a brilliant, extremely informative thread, so thanks to the OP for setting it up. :smile:

Now for the questions!

1 - For those who have done this/are planning to do this, how old were you when you went? I'm going to be 27 when I plan to go, and I'm worried that all the backpackers are going to be significantly younger.

2 - Once you started actively looking for a job, how long did it take for you to find one? I need my mind putting at ease that it won't take 3 months of looking to find a job haha!

Having spoken to a few friends, trying to convince at least one of them to come with me to Oz, none of them want to take the risk, so I am resigned to going alone if I have to. I'm generally quite introverted and find it difficult to start a conversation with new people (if somebody talks to me first though, then I'm up and running like I could speak for Britain!) Also, I've not been abroad in 4 years and haven't been on holiday anywhere without my parents (barring a couple of 2 day trips to Belgium and Germany). So I really would be biting the bullet if I went ahead and went to Oz alone. Somebody please convince me that this wouldn't be a total disaster, I need re-assurance!!

Cheers!! :biggrin:
Hi all :smile:
so i can't be bothered reading through all of this thread lol lazy me, although i did read through the first few pages and it's great. I am moving to Australia next April/May time on a 1 year WHV. What kind of temp jobs would pay the best for a girl? I'm willing to do any kind of work really within reason, but I am really worried because the only working experience i have is in retail and the money is pretty sh*tty. Are my options of getting a job with decent money going to be seriously restricted? Obviously i'm not expecting to go out and make millions, I know that won't happen. I was just wondering what line of work would you recommend for a girl, and is there any types of work that would take on someone regardless of experience? Any stories oj jobs you may have done or someone you know has done are appreciated. I'm going to be moving to either Sydney or Melbourne. Thank you in advance for any advice. :biggrin:
Reply 493
Hey to everyone, would just like to say I've been reading this amazing thread for months it is so inspiring, I have never signed up to a forum or done anything like this before so it's all new to me but I would just like to say, good luck to everyone who is going to Australia for a working visa.

I am planning on going to Brisbane in December it's so overwhelming but all I need to do is book flights and visa and all the important stuff, the saving is going great and it's all go for me at the minute, if anyone is going to Brisbane around that time and would like to talk about anything it would be great to hear something so we can help eachother for the dream trip, just want to make some friends, thanks!
Original post by LyndonB
Hey to everyone, would just like to say I've been reading this amazing thread for months it is so inspiring, I have never signed up to a forum or done anything like this before so it's all new to me but I would just like to say, good luck to everyone who is going to Australia for a working visa.

I am planning on going to Brisbane in December it's so overwhelming but all I need to do is book flights and visa and all the important stuff, the saving is going great and it's all go for me at the minute, if anyone is going to Brisbane around that time and would like to talk about anything it would be great to hear something so we can help eachother for the dream trip, just want to make some friends, thanks!

Hi there, I went to brisbane and cairns last summer for 2 weeks with my rugby tour and I'm hoping to do a working holiday next september. From previous experience, if you're going to live in the city make sure you have a good place to live (good ratings/reviews) since we had a terrible one and ended up leaving a day early haha it just ruins the experience but the city is amazing. I highly recommend surfers paradise as well! Possibly my favourite place haha hoping to live there in the future

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 495
Ah awesome man, yeah you should deffo go for it. Yeah I've seen a hostel called "somewhere to stay" it generally looks so good and chilled with the best reviews and it's one of the cheapest in South Bank, do you know of any good hostels ? The main reason I'm going is for Surfers Paradise it looks perfect but I think living in Brisbane is more realistic to work because of how commercial Surfers is, I'll be visiting it a lot but Brisbane looks so cool for nights out and it looks the best access for Fraser Island and Sunshine Coast, I bet there is loads to do in Brisbane too!
Original post by LyndonB
Ah awesome man, yeah you should deffo go for it. Yeah I've seen a hostel called "somewhere to stay" it generally looks so good and chilled with the best reviews and it's one of the cheapest in South Bank, do you know of any good hostels ? The main reason I'm going is for Surfers Paradise it looks perfect but I think living in Brisbane is more realistic to work because of how commercial Surfers is, I'll be visiting it a lot but Brisbane looks so cool for nights out and it looks the best access for Fraser Island and Sunshine Coast, I bet there is loads to do in Brisbane too!

We only stayed in 1 hostel in brisbane but it's a shame I can't remember the name of it! I don't but if you look on trip advisor there's loads of of reviews on hostels and things to do in the city! Surfers paradise is great for nights out as well with loads to do! Haven't been to Sunshine coast but I think John Bishop went there in his new TV programme and I think he said it was old but still good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 497
Original post by Rhyss01
We only stayed in 1 hostel in brisbane but it's a shame I can't remember the name of it! I don't but if you look on trip advisor there's loads of of reviews on hostels and things to do in the city! Surfers paradise is great for nights out as well with loads to do! Haven't been to Sunshine coast but I think John Bishop went there in his new TV programme and I think he said it was old but still good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeahh yeahh, ah surfers paradise sounds sooooo good, I just cannot wait ready for the Australian Summer
Reply 498
Original post by tiny tiger
Hi.

Firstly, this is a brilliant, extremely informative thread, so thanks to the OP for setting it up. :smile:

Now for the questions!

1 - For those who have done this/are planning to do this, how old were you when you went? I'm going to be 27 when I plan to go, and I'm worried that all the backpackers are going to be significantly younger.

2 - Once you started actively looking for a job, how long did it take for you to find one? I need my mind putting at ease that it won't take 3 months of looking to find a job haha!

Having spoken to a few friends, trying to convince at least one of them to come with me to Oz, none of them want to take the risk, so I am resigned to going alone if I have to. I'm generally quite introverted and find it difficult to start a conversation with new people (if somebody talks to me first though, then I'm up and running like I could speak for Britain!) Also, I've not been abroad in 4 years and haven't been on holiday anywhere without my parents (barring a couple of 2 day trips to Belgium and Germany). So I really would be biting the bullet if I went ahead and went to Oz alone. Somebody please convince me that this wouldn't be a total disaster, I need re-assurance!!

No way you need to go for it, people backpack for years, literally some people do that until they want to settle down and make a family, you'll probably meet like the veteran backpackers but obviously the stereotype is young people like myself.

You will find friends no matter where you are, I'm gonna go for it 100% on my own but if my friend is actually as serious as I am then that would be perfect
Reply 499
Original post by tiny tiger
Hi.

Now for the questions!

I'm 23 and sometimes felt a bit surrounded by children. It's a bit luck of the draw in sometimes you find hostels are full of 18 year olds but mostly it's fine. I met a lot of SE Asians who were late 20s. Most Europeans were more my age. I don't think age will be an issue most of the time. Around North Queensland I met a weird amount of retired American women who had sold their houses and went travelling.

It took me 4 months to get a job I could stick at but I had managed to get several others inbetween. I wrote it out here if you want a read at my experience.

In hostels people will just say 'hi, how's it going?' so you'll be fine.

You're 27, if you can't cope without your parents then you have issues :tongue: seriously, all these 18 year olds who can barely work a washing machine manage it, it's not that hard.

Original post by LyndonB

IMO South Bank is the best place to stay in Brisbane. Fortitude Valley is where to party, Roma Street is good for the bus station but South Bank is nice, the West End is nice, it's close to the CBD and it's not hard to get to other places.

I stayed in Gonow in South Bank. It's ok, not the best or worse I've stayed in bed. But I've been in quite a few hostels in Brisbane and none are exception or awful so I don't think it's a huge deal which you pick.

I wasn't a fan of Surfers. It's good for a night out but other than that it has little going for it. There's nothing else to do but shop and sit on the beach. There's endless nicer beaches all the way up to Cairns, and a few North of Cairns too actually. The standard of hostels there is pretty poor too.

I've not had a night out is Brisbane since October but my mate from there told me their night life has really picked up recently and they are starting to get some of the more Melbourne style quirky bars.

Original post by lisam191
Hi all :smile:
so i can't be bothered reading through all of this thread lol lazy me, although i did read through the first few pages and it's great. I am moving to Australia next April/May time on a 1 year WHV. What kind of temp jobs would pay the best for a girl? I'm willing to do any kind of work really within reason, but I am really worried because the only working experience i have is in retail and the money is pretty sh*tty. Are my options of getting a job with decent money going to be seriously restricted? Obviously i'm not expecting to go out and make millions, I know that won't happen. I was just wondering what line of work would you recommend for a girl, and is there any types of work that would take on someone regardless of experience? Any stories oj jobs you may have done or someone you know has done are appreciated. I'm going to be moving to either Sydney or Melbourne. Thank you in advance for any advice. :biggrin:

I linked above to my experience finding a job if that's of interest, I covered most of the typical stuff.

Getting a job with decent money depends how you define decent. Minimum wage is pretty high but so is rent so it's not as good as it sounds. You'll almost certainly not get more than min wage.

With retail experience you can get a sales job pretty easy but see what I said in the linked to thread on that. You can get retail jobs though it's harder to come by and like waiting and bar work typically low on hours.

I feel I say it endlessly but Australia isn't the land of loads of jobs it used to be so a lot fo people get a surprise if they turn up having only read older advice.

Quick Reply

Latest