The Student Room Group

So, you want to go to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lisam191
where do most people generally tend to find jobs advertised?? is there any good websites in particular for finding a job? :colondollar:

I found mine by knocking on doors, handing out CVs and speaking to people. It was quite frankly far easier than trying to find work online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 601
For online, gumtree and seek

though I sent so many through seek and never got anywhere with them. Gumtree worked for me
Hi me and a few of my mates were looking to go out to Australia for a year and work and enjoy ourself and wanted to rent a house between us but we don't know where, where would be the best places ? And we don't really know where to start on planning this trip
Reply 603
Original post by Jimwatkins
Hi me and a few of my mates were looking to go out to Australia for a year and work and enjoy ourself and wanted to rent a house between us but we don't know where, where would be the best places ? And we don't really know where to start on planning this trip

Impossible question, it's all personal preference. Starting in Sydney or Melbourne is the obvious one if you want big city, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide if you like small city. Then you've got places like Byron Bay, Cairns and Harvey Bay if you like somewhere smaller still.

I'd advise not getting too set on anywhere yet, have enough money to travel for your first while then pick somewhere to settle for a bit whilst you earn
Reply 604
Hey everyone,

Australia is a great choice for a working holiday! Did you know we have a Work Australia programme which includes access to our offices out in Oz to assist you with finding work and accommodation whilst you're out there, with lots of other exciting inclusions!

If you're travelling alone and apprehensive about the thought of moving to a new country, you can join up to 50 other young people heading out on a working holiday on our Group Flight to Sydney via Hong Kong. It's a great way to meet new people who'll be living out in Oz and have fun from the minute you depart.

Any questions let us know!
Reply 605
The value for money/point at all of BUNAC's offer is rather debatable. I'd encourage anyone considering it to search through the thread for thoughts on Oz Intro- different company offering all but the same thing, still applies given the criticisms aren't about any company in particular
I haven't investigated BUNAC's particular offers, so I have no comment on whether they are good value.

However, in general I think that any company offering to"help" you with a working holiday in Australia is at worst ripping you off entirely and implying that you won't spend any more going with them than you would by yourself. At best they are exploiting the anxieties of first time solo travellers and selling them things that they could easily organise themselves for the same cost or far, far less.

To quote myself regarding a similar "help" company...

Original post by JoannaMilano
You charge for something that offers no value for money at all.

Tax file number? Free to apply for here:

Aussie SIM card? You can pick one up at the airport before you even breathe Aussie air for $15.

Setting up a bank account? Walk into any bank in Australia with your passport and it's free and easy to set up yourself.

Two nights in a Sydney hostel? Costs $50-100 max

Airport pickup? Lots of hostels offer it for free, and if not it costs $18 from the airport

Free internet at the office? Sure, hostels charge for internet, but it's about $3 a day in most places, and all public libraries and starbucks have free internet too.

Personal mailbox in Sydney? I've never met a hostel that wouldn't receive letters on your behalf, and if not then Poste Restante is completely free and easy to pick up from in the CBD

As for your claims to place people into jobs- every single job club I spoke to claimed the same. "Oh no, we don't just have lists of jobs, we place you into a job. Everyone with us finds a job". Funny how I signed up for two of them and never got anything

Every single person I met working in Sydney had found the job themselves, and done all the admin themselves. I'm NOT saying that these companies don't give the service they promise- just that there's absolutely no need to take that service from them in the first place.

The only value companies like that have are for solo travellers who are scared about making friends. But really- the backpacker scene in Australia is so full of young people in the exact same scenario as you, so you certainly don't need help from a company to meet people and make friends.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 607
I've been thinking about going in a few years but worry I might be too old by then. I'm 23 now and was thinking of going in about 3 years. I work in hospitality and have loads of experience so I'm not too worried about the job side of things just where is best to go really. Any advice?
Reply 608
Hi Lorri, I'm looking at heading out next year. I'm 27 and have a friend out there the same age as me so by no means is 26 too old.

Guys any advice with office work for 6 months out in Australia. Currently in the UK I have experience as an analyst working in a head office in the retail sector and am being made redundant (as are the rest of our office) so want to travel but at the same time earn a bit more than you would from say fruit picking/bar work and enhance my cv at the same time. Do you think there are enough jobs in Oz that will take me on?
Reply 609
Original post by Dan1805
Hi Lorri, I'm looking at heading out next year. I'm 27 and have a friend out there the same age as me so by no means is 26 too old.

Guys any advice with office work for 6 months out in Australia. Currently in the UK I have experience as an analyst working in a head office in the retail sector and am being made redundant (as are the rest of our office) so want to travel but at the same time earn a bit more than you would from say fruit picking/bar work and enhance my cv at the same time. Do you think there are enough jobs in Oz that will take me on?

I think if you go there looking to enhance your CV you'll be setting yourself up for disappoint, it might happen but it'd be setting yourself a difficult goal when you have so much else to be going enjoying. To be honest, I'd probably go a far as saying if enhancing your CV is a top priority for you in the next year then you shouldn't be going to Australia.

In my experience, 'proper' jobs are more hesitant to employ travellers cause they expect you to bugger of halfway through. It does happen if you can find a short contract but you might have better odds registering with a temp agency for any and all admin type stuff
Original post by Dan1805

I wouldn't hope for anything better than temping - though I can't say I have any experience of office temping in Australia, so I'm not sure how willing they would be to take you on.

The only way in which going to Australia has enhanced my CV is that I can now say I've got experience of working abroad - which has been a requirement of some of the jobs I've applied for, both as a student and recent graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dan1805

I went out there looking for office jobs, and found absolutely nothing. Most offices are looking for people who will stay longer than the 6 months your visa will allow, and aren't willing to sponsor you. Almost every office job (that was more than data entry) wanted permanent residence to apply, and they usually explicitly excluded WHV.

I didn't have the experience you have, but I was shooting for jobs at my level so I imagine you'd find similar issues. You'd probably be able to get the low-level jobs I was shooting for, but you probably wouldn't want them.

Basically, a WHV only really lets you work in fields with high turnover. I assumed that everyone chose to work in bars/restaurants/call centres because they wanted something casual and flexible. In reality, it turns out that those are the only places that hire WHVs, unless you have a trade (builder, plumber, electrician, hairdresser).

On the plus side, even fruit picking and bar work pay really well in Australia. I was in a call centre earning $22-25 an hour. It's not like the UK, where an entry level office job usually pays more than bar work- they pay about the same. So while you won't get anything useful for your CV, money won't be too much of an issue if you budget well.
In going over in September to start my WHV. And I am wanting to extend it after my farmwork, and. Hopefully look on emigrating permanently?
I'm a barista atm and I know it is a well known trade over there, so I won't have a problem finding a job,

I have family over there, but she is my sister through marriage of my mum and dad. I'm looking forward to going, and really want to move permanently, but any handy hints and tips?
I am off to Australia in January and staying with a friend who lives in Rathmines, near Newcastle. Will it be easy to get around Newcastle from Rathmines? Will I be able to find a job in Newcastle?
Hi, I am off to Australia in January with a holiday work visa. I am staying with a friend in Rathmines, NSW, its near Newcastle but I was wondering if I will be able to get around with a car. I'm guessing if I found work, it would be in the city center of Newcastle so will be able to get there from Rathmines okay? Also, does anyone if I will be able to find work in Newcastle? I don't know much about the area!

-Shannon
what is the pay like in Australia
Reply 616
Original post by bigmansouf
what is the pay like in Australia

Good, don't remember it off the top of my head but check the min wage as that’s what you’ll earn. But the cost of living is higher so it’s not quite as good as it sounds relatively

Original post by shanpat12
Hi, I am off to Australia in January with a holiday work visa. I am staying with a friend in Rathmines, NSW, its near Newcastle but I was wondering if I will be able to get around with a car. I'm guessing if I found work, it would be in the city center of Newcastle so will be able to get there from Rathmines okay? Also, does anyone if I will be able to find work in Newcastle? I don't know much about the area!

-Shannon

It looks like you’ll have to drive, public transport doesn’t look good. Not many backpackers are in Newcastle so you’ll probably not get a very good answer here, probably best to ask your friend what work is like there
hi there, i am a singaporean and i don't think they have a holiday visa for this country. how can i get there to work without any sponsor too. please guide. i would love to go soon.
hi there, i am a singaporean and i dun think they have a holiday visa for this country. how cani get there to work without any sponsor too. please guide. i would love to go soon.
Reply 619
Original post by nazaraana
hi there, i am a singaporean and i dun think they have a holiday visa for this country. how cani get there to work without any sponsor too. please guide. i would love to go soon.

You'll need to check the Australian Immigration Department's visa website, I doubt anyone here will know off the top of their head for sure. They may have some alternative to working holiday for Singapore or it might be you'd need to have a sponsor or a visa based on their required skills

Quick Reply

Latest