The Student Room Group

So, you want to go to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa

Scroll to see replies

Planning on going to Australia on a working holiday visa as soon as I have saved enough money. Any ideas on how much I would need to budget each month whilst working? Want to work out how much I would need to earn especially as now form July 1st backpackers have to pay 32.5% tax!
Reply 641
Original post by meganaliciax
especially as now form July 1st backpackers have to pay 32.5% tax!

Lots of employers prefer to pay cash...
could you go to Aus on a WHV and move straight in to a house share as soon as you get there (pre-arrange it before you go) or would you have to move over and live in a hostel for a few days until you found a house share?
My daughter has existing debt so will she be able to backpack in Australia ????
Reply 644
Original post by Minnie the minx
My daughter has existing debt so will she be able to backpack in Australia ????

I'm not commenting on how advisable it is but they'd never know. She does still need the required saving, though really that almost never gets checked but it's stupid to go with less anyway IMO

Original post by cvclements
could you go to Aus on a WHV and move straight in to a house share as soon as you get there (pre-arrange it before you go) or would you have to move over and live in a hostel for a few days until you found a house share?

Most people will be in a hostel first. I think it's always wise to see a place first and to have a sense of the sort of area it’s in. I saw some really dire flats that looked entirely fine in the photos. But it is in theory possible to arrange before you go.
Great advice and tips but can you answer me this? What would be the best way for a 53 year old male to take a year off in Oz. Not adverse to slumming it when needs be but at an age of wanting to avoid backpackers hostels and cheap grog. Willing to work anywhere but still lively enough to enjoy a good time. Would they admit someone of a more senior age into their country for such a period of time? Just spent a month on holiday there and am busting to return for a longer stay. Amazing place.
Reply 646
I am going to do a WHV in early August and I trying to decide whether to go with BUNAC or Gap360.

Does anyone have any experience with either organisation?
Original post by Ziplot
I am going to do a WHV in early August and I trying to decide whether to go with BUNAC or Gap360.

I've no experience with either, but don't forget that (as per the first page of this thread) it's entirely feasible to do it yourself - you don't need to have someone else get you a bank account or tax file number - you can do it all yourself and save the money.
Reply 648
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've no experience with either, but don't forget that (as per the first page of this thread) it's entirely feasible to do it yourself - you don't need to have someone else get you a bank account or tax file number - you can do it all yourself and save the money.

I know, but surely it is better going with a reputable company that has support with accommodation and jobs than being completely alone?
Original post by Ziplot
I know, but surely it is better going with a reputable company that has support with accommodation and jobs than being completely alone?

Accommodation - you book a hostel (use one of the comparison websites, like hostelworld or hostelbookers - they were pretty reliable I found), which is really very simple.

Jobs - none of these companies are going to guarantee you a job. They might give you some advice on where to find a job ("look on gumtree") but ultimately the job search is going to be up to you. When I went in 2011, there were plenty of jobs if you had a bit of experience, weren't too fussy and actually put some effort into looking for a job (I worked in hospitality in Brisbane, for context). I'm not aware that Australia's economy has suffered greatly in the intervening years, so I can't see that having changed enormously. Some people went home claiming to have been unable to find jobs - but when you probed further it invariably turned out that they were applying for professional jobs that were never going to take someone on a WHV, or they'd been sat around in their hostel waiting for a job to come and find them (not going to happen)
Original post by Ziplot

I'm on the group page on gap 360 and it looks like it's pretty helpful organisation and the people are really friendly, but yeah I think that an organisation really limits you and while you're out there you can find so many adventures yourself because there's so many other backpackers there, you don't need some money grabbing people to be holding your hand every step of the way. Your desision though! Good luck, I'm heading out there end of August/ start of September all alone!!
Hi,

I've just booked Australia for my WHV...

I have loads of experience in marketing, event management, modelling, acting, bartender, waitressing, promotion, retail etc. I've pretty much done it all.

Would it be easy for me to get job?

Thanks for your article it has really helped me :smile:
Original post by Aaronwild92
Hi,

I've just booked Australia for my WHV...

I have loads of experience in marketing, event management, modelling, acting, bartender, waitressing, promotion, retail etc. I've pretty much done it all.

Would it be easy for me to get job?

Thanks for your article it has really helped me :smile:

Those are the sorts of jobs that backpackers tend to do, so so long as you get out there and jobhunt (and don't leave it until you're down to your last $20!), you'll be fine.
Reply 653
Original post by Wolfegirl98
I'm on the group page on gap 360 and it looks like it's pretty helpful organisation and the people are really friendly, but yeah I think that an organisation really limits you and while you're out there you can find so many adventures yourself because there's so many other backpackers there, you don't need some money grabbing people to be holding your hand every step of the way. Your desision though! Good luck, I'm heading out there end of August/ start of September all alone!!

Well, they don't exactly hold your hand when you're out there apart from the first week. It's more of a case if there is a situation where you do need help very fast they are there and if you need accommodation or work then you have an organisation which can help.
Original post by Ziplot
Well, they don't exactly hold your hand when you're out there apart from the first week. It's more of a case if there is a situation where you do need help very fast they are there and if you need accommodation or work then you have an organisation which can help.

A lot of people are just saying that to help you find work they just sit you down at a computer to look online and you're not even guaranteed a job, also don't you need to pay more than what you would for a visa if you're just applying on the government website?? Idk I guess it's their desision but I think it's so easy to get it all done yourself. :smile:
Reply 655
Does anyone know of any accommodation in Melbourne that caters for people staying long stays, like a few months? I'm struggling to find places that do more than two weeks at the moment! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 656
Hopefully be off to Australia next April for a month or so , yano to see how i like it . The plan is then come home , continue to work , earn some extra dosh . Then (maybe) apply for a years working visa ( then long term ) - accommodation won't be an issue as my aunt has been trying to get me over there since i was 13 . However , how would i go about getting a job - i've worked in an estate agency since i was 16 , so that's all the experience i have. I'm totalling ok with working in bars , cafe's and basically anywhere that will hire me . Don't have any experience tho . Also in terms of a long term visa - how would i go about that ?Thanks
Reply 657
Hopefully be off to Australia next April for a month or so , yano to see how i like it . The plan is then come home , continue to work , earn some extra dosh . Then (maybe) apply for a years working visa ( then long term ) - accommodation won't be an issue as my aunt has been trying to get me over there since i was 13 . However , how would i go about getting a job - i've worked in an estate agency since i was 16 , so that's all the experience i have. I'm totalling ok with working in bars , cafe's and basically anywhere that will hire me . Don't have any experience tho . Also in terms of a long term visa - how would i go about that ?
Thanks
Original post by Istra
Hopefully be off to Australia next April for a month or so , yano to see how i like it . The plan is then come home , continue to work , earn some extra dosh . Then (maybe) apply for a years working visa ( then long term ) - accommodation won't be an issue as my aunt has been trying to get me over there since i was 13 . However , how would i go about getting a job - i've worked in an estate agency since i was 16 , so that's all the experience i have. I'm totalling ok with working in bars , cafe's and basically anywhere that will hire me . Don't have any experience tho . Also in terms of a long term visa - how would i go about that ?
Thanks

Just apply like you would here I suppose, that's what I'm going to do. Hand in CVs to local bars and restaurants round where you're staying, if your that desperate for one and aren't getting any, maybe try out some farm work as it will be extremely easy to find that kind of work there. Ask locally or on gumtree and places like that.
Reply 659
Original post by Istra
Thanks

With your experience you might want to look more at sales than bar work. That said its soul destroying :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest