The Student Room Group

So, you want to go to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Whats ths deal with re turning to oz during ur 12 months WHV? I know u can leVe and entre as much as u like. But do u have to have sufficent funds everytime?
I found this competition to win a scholarship on an Australian internship programme: http://www.bunac.org/uk/intern-abroad/professional/australia-/win-a-scholarship

It says flights and insurance are not covered, but does that cover necessary visas and checks to get into the country? For anyone who has been on one of these internships with a company, how much of the visa process does the organisation usually do itself? Also, is there any chance I'll be denied entry to the country despite being selected for an internship?

Thanks
Hi everyone, I'm sorry to butt into the conversation but I was wondering if someone could give me some advice please. My brother has done the farm work required for a second year visa and lived in Australia for about a year. He returned back to England for 5 months and has decided to go back out there. He has applied for a visa but it is not being processed as one of the farms he worked on has been sold to new owners and they have no record of him working there as they took over after he left. Is there any way he can get evidence to show that he did do the work and is eligible for a visa? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 663
Original post by golden_bough
Hi everyone, I'm sorry to butt into the conversation but I was wondering if someone could give me some advice please. My brother has done the farm work required for a second year visa and lived in Australia for about a year. He returned back to England for 5 months and has decided to go back out there. He has applied for a visa but it is not being processed as one of the farms he worked on has been sold to new owners and they have no record of him working there as they took over after he left. Is there any way he can get evidence to show that he did do the work and is eligible for a visa? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Financial records of them paying him or asking the new folk for the old owners forwarding details and hoping they remember him. That's the only things I can think of
Reply 664
Original post by K.1234
Whats ths deal with re turning to oz during ur 12 months WHV? I know u can leVe and entre as much as u like. But do u have to have sufficent funds everytime?

Yeah you can leave and I've never heard of anyone actually being asked to prove sufficient funds, even when first entering. Its just not wise to start out with less than that anyway and if you do then you should have a reasonable proportion of that left for your remaining time when you re-enter
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I am planning on taking a gap year to OZ and to stay with family members (half my family live there and half live in the UK with me). I have been a couple of times and fell in love with the country.

Although, I fear that I will get my 12 month working visa and then be reluctant to come back! My mum experienced exactly that years ago and she ended up staying for 10 years!
I was wondering if this did happen how easy would it be to live there long term (if even possible), what would be required and how would I go about setting this up?
Original post by Origami Bullets
x

Thread may be from 2011, old and some information might not be accurate (if not updated), however I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 667
Hi, sorry to but in randomly but I really don t know if I want to take a gap year but I ve already accepted an offer for uni in September. Anyone got any advice??? Should I travel then reapply for uni next year? I m 18 so not sure what to do althought I do know I definitely want to go to uni and I know what I want to study, I just don t know if I want to see the world first. Any advice would be so helpful!
Reply 668
Original post by ffidev
Hi, sorry to but in randomly but I really don t know if I want to take a gap year but I ve already accepted an offer for uni in September. Anyone got any advice??? Should I travel then reapply for uni next year? I m 18 so not sure what to do althought I do know I definitely want to go to uni and I know what I want to study, I just don t know if I want to see the world first. Any advice would be so helpful!

Go on a gap year after uni.
Reply 669
I'm planning of doing this but I'm just looking for some advice if anyone on hear can help. I have a trade in painting and decorating and I want to know if anyone has found it easy or difficult to get trade work in Australia? Thank you in advance.
Original post by JONF90
I'm planning of doing this but I'm just looking for some advice if anyone on hear can help. I have a trade in painting and decorating and I want to know if anyone has found it easy or difficult to get trade work in Australia? Thank you in advance.

Do it. Best thing I ever done. My boyfriend is a painter out there, lots of work and really, really good money :yep:
Original post by starlett53
Hi, I am planning on taking a gap year to OZ and to stay with family members (half my family live there and half live in the UK with me). I have been a couple of times and fell in love with the country.

Although, I fear that I will get my 12 month working visa and then be reluctant to come back! My mum experienced exactly that years ago and she ended up staying for 10 years!
I was wondering if this did happen how easy would it be to live there long term (if even possible), what would be required and how would I go about setting this up?

It is an amazing country. You are entitled to a 1 year working holiday visa. You can extend this for another year if you work on a farm in rural australia for 3 months (worth it!).
If you fall in love with the country like I did, you have a few options.
1) You may find yourself getting offered sponsership by an employer. This happens fairly regularly, you must then work at that employer for a number of years (i think it's 3). Once your sponser ship is completed you can leave that employer and you are free to stay in Australia as long as you would like.
2) Student Visa. You can apply for this once you finish your WHV and this will allow you to stay in the country for the duration of the university course. You are also allowed to work on a stduent visa up to 20 hours. Once you have completed your course and have been in the country for 5 years you will be eligable to start the application for residency
3) 189 Skilled Visa. This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member. It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. You may be elligible to apply for this visa if your occupation appears on the list of skilled occupations on the Australian government website. Have a look at the list, it's a pretty big list!
4) De-facto visa. This is a visa which is applied for through a partner who has been sponsored, or who is an Australian resident. You must be in a genuine relationship with the person and have evidence of this.

Australia is an amazing country and I would suggest gong on a WHV first, see how you like it and then decide what option is best for you! :smile:
Fabulous, thank you!
Original post by ffidev

I did the same. I accepted my offer to start uni this year but soon after I knew I'd be itching to leave and go to Australia. I emailed the uni and requested them to defer my application until 2017 and they accepted!! I was so happy I have an unconditional for uni so can spend my time in Australia without worrying about applying for uni again as its all sorted out!
I'm just starting year 13 and I'm thinking Uni may not be the best choice for me next year as I'm very unsure on what I want to do. So I was thinking a gap year to Australia then I can travel and work that sort of thing.

I'm very unsure on how to go about it though as I'm thinking of going with someone however they've sorted it out on their own but I'm not sure if I'd be very good at that. I'd have a place to stay but I feel I'd need the support and help from a company who can help me with work and sorting out everything to get there and once I'm there etc.
Anyone have an useful advice on how I go about all this?
Thanks
I urge potential visitors to Australia to read this
Trips to Australia seem to be the ultimate in youth 'walkabouts' - about the farthest you can get from your parents without a rocket! Its exciting, its amazingly beautiful and it challenges your independence to the max. But young people who have swooned and surfed through their first year face a huge hurdle in staying for another - the requirement to complete 88 days labour - often in agricuture - in order to qualify for their second year. It was during the first few days of this work that Mia was killed.
She was killed by a fellow traveller...not by the snake or spider that her mother feared in the cane fields in which she was working - totally unprepared and unprotected. No - she was killed during the long, hot, unstructured evening period where desperate young people are stuck in small towns with no entertainment competing against each other for hard labour in order to continue their dream. The fact that this fight to stay happens to benefit Australia's struggling agricultural market is by the by...the system is obligatory, unregulated and frankly, highly dangerous.
I am campaigning for support from the British Government to lobby Malcolm Turnbull (Australian Prime Minister) to properly regulate the employment of largely foreign travellers to work in this way for their ticket to stay; to control the agencies and farms that place young people and critically the hostels that accommodate them.
PLEASE give your support to this petition. For Mia.
l
Follow me on twitter.com/RosieAyliffe
To hear Rosie talk on BBC Women's Hour clickwww.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07w5y3b"Malcolm Turnbull: Persuade Australian Government to implement regulation of obligatory farmwork service
My daughter Mia was working under extreme duress in a highly charged and aggressive atmosphere at a hostel in Townsville when her life was tragically cut…
CHANGE.ORG
Reply 676
Thanks for the info!! Does anyone know when the best time to fly out there is?

I'm planning to go next September, but I really wanna speak to someone who's been there, done that to get some advice!
Reply 677
Original post by lisam191
It is an amazing country. You are entitled to a 1 year working holiday visa. You can extend this for another year if you work on a farm in rural australia for 3 months (worth it!).
If you fall in love with the country like I did, you have a few options.
1) You may find yourself getting offered sponsership by an employer. This happens fairly regularly, you must then work at that employer for a number of years (i think it's 3). Once your sponser ship is completed you can leave that employer and you are free to stay in Australia as long as you would like.
2) Student Visa. You can apply for this once you finish your WHV and this will allow you to stay in the country for the duration of the university course. You are also allowed to work on a stduent visa up to 20 hours. Once you have completed your course and have been in the country for 5 years you will be eligable to start the application for residency
3) 189 Skilled Visa. This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member. It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. You may be elligible to apply for this visa if your occupation appears on the list of skilled occupations on the Australian government website. Have a look at the list, it's a pretty big list!
4) De-facto visa. This is a visa which is applied for through a partner who has been sponsored, or who is an Australian resident. You must be in a genuine relationship with the person and have evidence of this.

Australia is an amazing country and I would suggest gong on a WHV first, see how you like it and then decide what option is best for you! :smile:

Hey, any chance you could answer a few questions I have? I'm currently saving to go, but I'd love to speak to someone before I go!
Yo, that sounds so much like what I want to do; I'm thinking about doing Oz Intro, was that with realgap.co.uk? If so, how did you find them?

I'd also rather flat share, did that work out for you or was it massively expensive? I'm planning to work solidly here after exams in June before going out in Oct/Nov but will have limited funds, did you find it easy to set yourself up quickly or was it a struggle?

thank u :smile:

Original post by Starkov
Very imformative post, thanks.

I've only just started thinking about spending a year working in Australia, so I only have a rough idea of what I am going to do. First week with Oz Intro, week or so in a hostel looking for work in Sydney. Probably work for around 3 or so months until I do some East Coast exploring, before heading to Western Australia for some fruit picking or something like that.

Anyway, I was thinking if I got a job in Sydney for a few months, what's your opinion on flat sharing? I'd much rather have my own little space than living in a dorm with strangers all the time (Something I want to experience, but not long term). I've been looking on gumtree to get a general idea of price, and there's not a massive difference between what you'd pay per week.

Cheers.
Hi all. I've just decided to a do a gap year, little late I'll be 28 by the time I go. I'm going march 2018, can't go any earlier :-(. Let me know if anyone else is looking around then :-). My plan is to do an intro week with ultimate travel, go straight into my regional work and get my 3 months in, then 4-6 weeks travelling down the east coast then settle somewhere to find work :-D

Quick Reply

Latest