The Student Room Group

So, you want to go to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, thanks for all your advice!

When you went, did you spend your whole time in hostels?
Yes, but it's not compulsory. Some people rent a room in a flat (often subletting from official tenants - one friend moved in with a group of Aussie students!) when they know they're going to be in one place for a long time. However, by the time I knew I where I was going to be working, I was getting free rent because I was working in the hostel, so it made sense to stay there.

And did you plan where you wanted to go before you got over there? Like start of here, spend 3 weeks looking around, move onto here, spend a few months working etc.
I had no plan when I stepped off the plane. My plan came about by deciding I wanted to go up the east coast, buying a bus pass and doing it. I found out about what there was to see there from travel agents, and booked (after a lot of haggling!) those things. I only made a proper plan when I knew that I needed to get a move on, leave my job and see the things I wanted to see, so that I would be back in Sydney in time to catch my flight back to the UK! That plan involved me making a table on my computer, planning everything down to which bus I was going to catch (I needed to keep working for as long as possible, hence why the fluidity went out of my plans after I left Brisbane!)

I keep seeing people referring to the west coast and the east coast and backpacker routes - is there anything in particular you'd reccomend?
East coast is the better-beaten backpacker route, and it's the one I did. Essentially you start off in Melbourne / Sydney, and then work your way up to Cairns (or vice versa). I keep meaning to write a post about what to see on the EC, but I've not go around to it yet.

I didn't do the West Coast, but it involves places like Perth, Monkey Mia (dolphins!) and the Ningaloo Reef.

There's also the trip through the Centre, usually done before / after one of the coasts, which invovles Darwin, Kakadu, Litchfield, Katherine Gorge, Devil's Marbles, Alice Springs, Uluru, Kata Tjuta, King's Canyon and Coober Pedy, as well as Adelaide (there's naff all to do in Adelaide, apparently, but it's a useful staging post.

Also, how did you get around from place to place, was it just buses all the time?
I used the OzExperience buses for the East Coast, then Greyhound to get to Alice Springs, followed by a flight to Melbourne and then another Greyhound to Sydney. If you're doing very long distances and don't want to see anything along the way, then flights can work out cheapest. OzExperience charges a premium for being a backpacker-only bus, but it's not friendly as they make out, and the buses are less comfortable than Greyhound. I had some really interesting conversations with locals on Greyhounds, and they are more comfortable, as well as having several buses a day (surprisingly important when you're on a tight schedule).

I have an image of me getting off the plane and just feeling lost :redface:
I think we all do that! Make sure you have a plan for how you are going to get to your first hostel (in Sydney, a number of hostels e.g. Nomads Westend offer free transfers from the airport if you book in advance for x nights). Once you've had a good night's sleep, you can work most things out!

Thanks!
Reply 81
Original post by Origami Bullets
I keep meaning to write a post about what to see on the EC, but I've not go around to it yet.

Thanks for the info! :biggrin:

I'd be really interested to read it if you did get round to it.

When would you suggest the best time to head over there would be? I'm thinking of going over next year after graduation, probably around August. Did you spend the whole year there?
Sorry to butt in, thought I'd add my two cents worth.
The east coast between Sydney and Cairns (the popular places in between include Byron Bay, Surfers Paradise, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Airlie Beach, Fraser Island, the Whitsundays, Great Barrier Reef - there are literally dozens upon dozens of places of note. The whole coast is a point of interest) is definitely the most well trodden backpacker route.
The west coast route between Perth and Broome, is similar to the east coast in terms of what you can see (sun, beaches, rolling surf, small, laid-back towns, even a reef in Ningaloo Reef) but with far fewer people. Lots of people I've spoken to say the west coast route is nicer because of its more unspoilt nature. Broome to Perth will be the last part of my year in Oz before I fly back to the UK in September - can't wait.

From personal experience, Premier Motor Service is far better than Greyhound. If you can live with their less frequent service (one service a day Brisbane <> Cairns, rather than Greyhound's three/four) you're rewarded with cheaper fares and a more pleasant journey (nicer drivers, better buses and you almost never get someone sat next to you).
Original post by Nicolay
Thanks for the info! :biggrin:

I'd be really interested to read it if you did get round to it.

When would you suggest the best time to head over there would be? I'm thinking of going over next year after graduation, probably around August. Did you spend the whole year there?

I went March - Sept, although that was because of my own time constraints rather than being based on the seasons. The temperate southern half of the country has seasons that are in antiphase to ours (i.e. their summer is December / January) and it tends to remain at 18C+ year round. Their winter is a lot like a British summer, but with less rain! Anyway, it means that there are better times to go, but no really bad times.

The tropical north does, however, have a wet season that you will want to avoid,

http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/austn-weather-and-the-seasons
Hi there, I have a visa and am planning to book my flight soon for this October. Ideally I want to go Brisbane, and get a job waitressing by the Golden Coast. Do you know of any decent but cheapish hostels? Is it relatively easy to find people to flat share with? .. As I suppose hostel living isn't great/affordable long-term? I haven't really thought about travelling around.. I have always dreamt of going to Surfer's Paradise you see!

Thanks xx
Hey, I have a question about the working holiday visa. When you apply for it, do you get to choose a date for the near future that you'd like it to be valid from, ie, say I applied for one today but didn't want to travel to Oz till November, can I say it can only be valid from 15th November? Or do they decide any date from now?

I hope that made some sense lol.
Original post by marchgirl91
Hi there, I have a visa and am planning to book my flight soon for this October. Ideally I want to go Brisbane, and get a job waitressing by the Golden Coast. Do you know of any decent but cheapish hostels? Is it relatively easy to find people to flat share with? .. As I suppose hostel living isn't great/affordable long-term? I haven't really thought about travelling around.. I have always dreamt of going to Surfer's Paradise you see!

Thanks xx

I didn't stay in either of them (I stayed in Base Central, which was crap) but Bunk and Banana Benders had good reputations in Brisbane. You can work for accommodation in hostels - you spend a certain amount of time pw (I did 15 hours pw) doing housekeeping / cleaning, in return for a free bed in a staff dorm.

You can find flatshares relatively easily - I had a friend who had two or three flatshares over her time in Australia - one was some locals with a large house who took in several backpackers at any one time, and another was with a group of skint students from the local uni! Expect to sublet, however, and make it clear that you will only be there for a relatively short period of time.

Be aware that Brisbane is about an hour away from the coast - a lot of people seem to think it's another beach town? It's a very liveable city, but there's not much by way of tourist activities (there's the XXXX Brewery and the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, and, erm, not much else unless you want to go on a day trip to Moreton Island or Stradbroke Island. There is a fair amount of work going there though - I certainly never had trouble finding work there, but beware that they will be looking for experience.

I wasn't a fan of Surfers Paradise. There's a nice beach, but very little to do other than go to overpriced theme parks and get drunk ... I was glad to get out after three days. The name Surfers Paradise is something of a marketing miracle - it was originally called Elston, and there really are better surf beaches around! For some reason (presumably some sterling work by the Queensland Tourist Board) it's rampantly popular with Asian tourists. What is it that attracts you to Surfers Paradise?

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Hey, I have a question about the working holiday visa. When you apply for it, do you get to choose a date for the near future that you'd like it to be valid from, ie, say I applied for one today but didn't want to travel to Oz till November, can I say it can only be valid from 15th November? Or do they decide any date from now?

I hope that made some sense lol.

The 12 month period starts on the day you next enter Australia, and you must enter Australia within 12 months of the visa being granted.

So, if you applied for one today and entered Aus on Nov 15th, it would be valid from Nov 15th 2012 to Nov 14th 2013.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/
Original post by Origami Bullets
The 12 month period starts on the day you next enter Australia, and you must enter Australia within 12 months of the visa being granted.

So, if you applied for one today and entered Aus on Nov 15th, it would be valid from Nov 15th 2012 to Nov 14th 2013.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

Thanks a lot, you explain it a lot better than anything I've read online :top:
Oh righttt, I thought that Brisbane was a beach city! Thanks alot for the heads up! I'm actually now thinking of doing the west coast instead, as a comment I have read has said it's less hectic/busy/more scenic and untroden. Xx
Oh righttt, I thought that Brisbane was a beach city! Thanks alot for the heads up! I'm actually now thinking of doing the west coast instead, as a comment I have read has said it's less hectic/busy/more scenic and untroden. Xx

It's definitely a less well trodden path, and from what I've heard it's beautiful, but tourist attractions are fewer and further between. That's not to say you won't enjoy it, but you obviously need to do your research.
Reply 90

The west coast is amazing! The east is too but in a different way. The east is party party party and is a lot of fun but the west coast is so much more beautiful and also unspoiled. If you can both or some of both do it!

Who needs "tourist attractions" lol the whole of the west coast is one big tourist attraction, there isn't the same party lifestyle as the east coast and there are lots of loooong periods when there's absolutley nothing but stretches of highway but check out Perth one of my favourite cities in the world and the bottom of the west coast is full of rugged surf beaches giant forests. The further you get up the coast the hotter it gets, the top of WA can get crazy hot in the summer! You've got the Ningaloo barrier reef which is far more untouched than the great barrier reef and all these beautiful places.

On the east byron bay is one of my fav places, lie on the beach all day and party all night, I also recommend Fraser Island one huge sand dune with lovely lakes and beach camping, there's a tiny place called rainbow beach too near fraser and small town called 1770 which goes unnoticed by many backpackers these two places are the most beautiful places on the east coast.

Cairns is a big party place, there's loads of great stuff to do around there, and get up to the national parks near Darwin too you have all your outback stuff, waterfalls etc and of course the red dust of ayers rock in the middle.

I didn't mean to write so much lol! So jealous, i want to go back
Wow, brilliant advice here. I spent almost 18 months working and travelling in Australia and would recommend it to anyone. I had 6 different jobs while I was there so if anyone is looking for any advice, just give me a shout.

If anyone is looking to spend a year travelling and working in Australia, GapYear.com have a competition at the moment to win a year there. It includes flights and help getting accommodation and jobs: http://www.gapyear.com/products/167692/australian-working-holiday-package/
Original post by KatsToes
The west coast is amazing! The east is too but in a different way. The east is party party party and is a lot of fun but the west coast is so much more beautiful and also unspoiled. If you can both or some of both do it!

Who needs "tourist attractions" lol the whole of the west coast is one big tourist attraction, there isn't the same party lifestyle as the east coast and there are lots of loooong periods when there's absolutley nothing but stretches of highway but check out Perth one of my favourite cities in the world and the bottom of the west coast is full of rugged surf beaches giant forests. The further you get up the coast the hotter it gets, the top of WA can get crazy hot in the summer! You've got the Ningaloo barrier reef which is far more untouched than the great barrier reef and all these beautiful places.

On the east byron bay is one of my fav places, lie on the beach all day and party all night, I also recommend Fraser Island one huge sand dune with lovely lakes and beach camping, there's a tiny place called rainbow beach too near fraser and small town called 1770 which goes unnoticed by many backpackers these two places are the most beautiful places on the east coast.

Cairns is a big party place, there's loads of great stuff to do around there, and get up to the national parks near Darwin too you have all your outback stuff, waterfalls etc and of course the red dust of ayers rock in the middle.

I didn't mean to write so much lol! So jealous, i want to go back

Ar thanks for that! =) I am so undecided where to go. I think I will go to Brisbane and just take it from there. I'm guessing it'll be easier to make friends/get a job their than the West coast. Although I may go there afterwards, it just depends on time and money etc. Fraser Island sounds like a definite thoughhh! =) X
Reply 93
Ar thanks for that! =) I am so undecided where to go. I think I will go to Brisbane and just take it from there. I'm guessing it'll be easier to make friends/get a job their than the West coast. Although I may go there afterwards, it just depends on time and money etc. Fraser Island sounds like a definite thoughhh! =) X

You're welcome!
Brisbane is great but just remember it's not a beach town and yeah you will make tons of friends and will find work, and yeah go Fraser! it's awesome! :smile:
Reply 94
So having been meaning to book a flight for a while I got round to it and didn't bother booking a return as I don't know when or where that will be. But I've since read that this could be an issue upon arrival as you're required to have a return ticket, can anyone confirm/deny this? Wondering if it's worth trying to change my ticket and get a flexible return added on.
Reply 95
Original post by MonicaStott
Wow, brilliant advice here. I spent almost 18 months working and travelling in Australia and would recommend it to anyone. I had 6 different jobs while I was there so if anyone is looking for any advice, just give me a shout.

If anyone is looking to spend a year travelling and working in Australia, GapYear.com have a competition at the moment to win a year there. It includes flights and help getting accommodation and jobs: http://www.gapyear.com/products/167692/australian-working-holiday-package/

What sort of jobs did you have?
Reply 96
Original post by spillmore
So having been meaning to book a flight for a while I got round to it and didn't bother booking a return as I don't know when or where that will be. But I've since read that this could be an issue upon arrival as you're required to have a return ticket, can anyone confirm/deny this? Wondering if it's worth trying to change my ticket and get a flexible return added on.

Hey im planning on going next year and ye i heard that might be a slight issue. What im going to probably do is book an open return ticket/or i'll book a regular return ticket which is generally cheaper than one way (make up a return date a year in advance) then IF i decide to leave earlier I would just call the airline and ask to change my return date (and pay the incurred fee to change the date). I hope this helps. If anybody else has input in this please add, thanks.
Original post by spillmore

Original post by mavado1097
Hey im planning on going next year and ye i heard that might be a slight issue. What im going to probably do is book an open return ticket/or i'll book a regular return ticket which is generally cheaper than one way (make up a return date a year in advance) then IF i decide to leave earlier I would just call the airline and ask to change my return date (and pay the incurred fee to change the date). I hope this helps. If anybody else has input in this please add, thanks.

I know enough people who went without a return ticket, and they got into the country. Just be aware that they can ask for proof of funds to show that you have enough money to support yourself, and to buy a return ticket.

Be aware that it isn't always possible to change your flight dates - I tried but because I had got my flights very cheap, it wasn't possible.
I want to take a working holiday to Australia, but I'm a bit concerned with certain things?

How long would the $5000AUD last without working, when keeping in mind if I do do all the touristy things? (eg. skydiving, going down east coast, great barrier reef)
Also, how much would you earn p/w in Sydney? my cousin who went over earned $900AUD a week but had to work 6 days a week for it? and also, how much would the average rent be in the Eastern suburbs, is around $500AUD a fair amount? (my cousin says she only has to pay $300 p/w in Haymarket and she only has to share with one other person?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by HearingWhat?
I want to take a working holiday to Australia, but I'm a bit concerned with certain things?

How long would the $5000AUD last without working, when keeping in mind if I do do all the touristy things? (eg. skydiving, going down east coast, great barrier reef)
It depends on your lifestyle (at the budget end, last year, I found I was spending around $300pw on living expenses including food and hostels). Get an idea of what activities you might like to do, cost them (there are various backpacker travel agents around online, try Tribal Travel, Peter Pans and Backpackers World for ideas). Then work out how much you have left and divide by 300.

Also, how much would you earn p/w in Sydney? my cousin who went over earned $900AUD a week but had to work 6 days a week for it?
As a waitress (in Brisbane), I earned $18-20ph, plus tips. If I had been working a 37.5 hour week, then that would have been $675-750pw, plus tips.

Of course, it depends on what job you can get, and how many hours you can find.

and also, how much would the average rent be in the Eastern suburbs, is around $500AUD a fair amount? (my cousin says she only has to pay $300 p/w in Haymarket and she only has to share with one other person?
I stayed in hostels throughout - at one point I was working 15 hours pw in a hostel doing housekeeping in return for free rent & bills. You can get a shared hostel room for $20-25pn or so, depending on location, time of year and standards. If they are moving into a house, backpackers tend towards less formal arrangements (contracts are rare, subletting is common), so that they have the flexibility to move on when they want to (the last thing you want is to be signing a year-long tenancy!). For that reason, you might like to have a look at a website like http://www.flatmatefinders.com.au/

Thanks in advance!

tl;dr version: How long is a piece of string?

Quick Reply

Latest