• 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: (about the pun)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    so true. I appreciated it! Quietly!

Yah tah, isn't twitter revealing!
    You worked out how to find me on Facebook yet? I dunno if you saw the message I sent you :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    sure sure, well first things first - get a structure laid out.. and don't come back til TSR til you've done that!

I also find having some TV on in the background quite helpful cos it's entertaining me whilst the work is boring me blind
    Ok, so i've got a plan done but I have no idea what to write and how to start it or what to do after that.
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    How detailed is your plan? Usually with essays I make an uber-detailed plan and then just flesh the bullet points out into sentences in a coherent order :yes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    YAY! Just finished my essay for tomorow
    now to proof read...
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done

Proof reading. What is this thing, proof reading? :ninja: :p: :ninja:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quornslice)
    Ok, so i've got a plan done but I have no idea what to write and how to start it or what to do after that.
    What have you got in your plan?

Flesh out a word document with headings - once you get started and gain some momentum you'll find it easier than just sitting there thinking you don't know what to do. You don't have to write each section in order, just start filling in. You're going to be talking about the plum pudding model, Rutherford's experiment (bonus points for remembering to include Geiger and Marsden), and then the work done by Bohr, presumably? Just start by getting thoughts down, and then you can shape them into useful paragraphs.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Well done

Isn't it where you briefly scan through your document to prove to yourself you've written something?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done

Ha Ha
    Yeah i never used to do it but then I discovered a make millions of mistakes in every single essay
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never had time to proofread at Oxford. It was so nice to be able to proofread my Goldsmiths coursework :love:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a christian, what I'm finding fundamentally difficult is trusting in God. It's so easy to trust in God when everything is going great, and you're doing well, and everything is fine. It's easy to say that you love God when everything feels like its going to plan. But its when things don't feel like they're going to plan. It's when everything feels uncertain.At the moment, I feel like the future is very uncertain, and that I'm going into a territory which I'm not very sure about.
    Oh, by the way, hey guys.

This is what I'm experiencing right now. Being a christian is all about abiding in God's love, but its also about being tested. Assuming that I'll never see any of you in real life, and that the intentions of everyone on this page are good, I'm going to explain my life story.

Since I was a child, I've had very low self esteem- possibly, I'm the least confident in my family. Things have changed- and I am very grateful to God for that, because I am much more confident now, however, the one thing that I was least confident about was my intellectualism. Before I read a question, I re read it before I get to the end, because I think that I'll read it incorrectly. I get nervous, because I think that I'll get it wrong. I've been experiencing this all of my life. It's gotten better dramatically...but its still there.

I've been known since I was a child that I was clever, as my mum tells me that when I was younger, and I was on the bus, people would look because I could talk so well. At the moment, I'm attaining an A* in maths and physics, but there was a time where I was so nervous in class...even if we had no exam, my heart would beat so quickly.I don't even struggle in school- I'm actually really clever. I'm gifted and talented for subjects including maths, english, history, and french, and according to my friends , I'm a great debater.

I was put for the intermediate maths challenge (2012). It wasn't difficult in the beginning- it was actually quite easy- but as usual, the thing that let me down was my nerves. Because I was so nervous in the beginning, I couldn't do the easy questions quick enough, so I was't able to finish. I think that I'll get a silver-which is good- but I could have done better. I don't believe in myself enough. And this is not something which I can just turn on or off. This is a psychological habit which I battle with every single day.

I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and economics for A level. I'm good at these subjects, but I really want to get into a good university like Oxford or Cambridge. I will never do my best, if I can't shake this problem.I love God with all of my heart- he knows this- and I'm trying to trust that he'll help me become more confident, because I wont be able to, if I don't ditch this problem. But I'm sure that this is where God wants me to go, because I actually love math, and I'm having to trust God more and more each day.

I started off feeling upset, but now I'm feeling happy. And for sure, you've got to remind yourself of all the things that God has already done for me. I'm in a safe country, I'm not awfully poor, or ill, and I'm not a slave, like many girls of the world today. I've got a lot to be grateful for.

On the note of gratitude, I think I'll draw this story to a close. Sorry that there was so much to read, no animals were harmed in the making of this non visual flashback, and I'm feeling pretty hungry,so I'm going to eat an imaginary piece of bread (it's way too late to be eating carbs).
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoziHQ)
    As a christian, what I'm finding fundamentally difficult is trusting in God. It's so easy to trust in God when everything is going great, and you're doing well, and everything is fine. It's easy to say that you love God when everything feels like its going to plan. But its when things don't feel like they're going to plan. It's when everything feels uncertain.At the moment, I feel like the future is very uncertain, and that I'm going into a territory which I'm not very sure about.

This is what I'm experiencing right now. Being a christian is all about abiding in God's love, but its also about being tested. Assuming that I'll never see any of you in real life, and that the intentions of everyone on this page are good, I'm going to explain my life story.

Since I was a child, I've had very low self esteem- possibly, I'm the least confident in my family. Things have changed- and I am very grateful to God for that, because I am much more confident now, however, the one thing that I was least confident about was my intellectualism. Before I read a question, I re read it before I get to the end, because I think that I'll read it incorrectly. I get nervous, because I think that I'll get it wrong. I've been experiencing this all of my life. It's gotten better dramatically...but its still there.

I've been known since I was a child that I was clever, as my mum tells me that when I was younger, and I was on the bus, people would look because I could talk so well. At the moment, I'm attaining an A* in maths and physics, but there was a time where I was so nervous in class...even if we had no exam, my heart would beat so quickly.I don't even struggle in school- I'm actually really clever. I'm gifted and talented for subjects including maths, english, history, and french, and according to my friends , I'm a great debater.

I was put for the intermediate maths challenge (2012). It wasn't difficult in the beginning- it was actually quite easy- but as usual, the thing that let me down was my nerves. Because I was so nervous in the beginning, I couldn't do the easy questions quick enough, so I was't able to finish. I think that I'll get a silver-which is good- but I could have done better. I don't believe in myself enough. And this is not something which I can just turn on or off. This is a psychological habit which I battle with every single day.

I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and economics for A level. I'm good at these subjects, but I really want to get into a good university like Oxford or Cambridge. I will never do my best, if I can't shake this problem.I love God with all of my heart- he knows this- and I'm trying to trust that he'll help me become more confident, because I wont be able to, if I don't ditch this problem. But I'm sure that this is where God wants me to go, because I actually love math, and I'm having to trust God more and more each day.

I started off feeling upset, but now I'm feeling happy. And for sure, you've got to remind yourself of all the things that God has already done for me. I'm in a safe country, I'm not awfully poor, or ill, and I'm not a slave, like many girls of the world today. I've got a lot to be grateful for.

On the note of gratitude, I think I'll draw this story to a close. Sorry that there was so much to read, no animals were harmed in the making of this non visual flashback, and I'm feeling pretty hungry,so I'm going to eat an imaginary piece of bread (it's way too late to be eating carbs).
    Welcome to the Soc and thank you for sharing your story. Before I get onto the serious stuff, I'd like to point out (since you mention imaginary food) that we're always sharing cakes, chocolate and biscuits here virally!

Trusting God is something I really struggle with too. I'm afraid I'll have to leave it to the others to tell you how to overcome such problems. I think talking to God regularly and telling Him how you find it difficult to trust Him is very important, though :yes:

It sounds like you're quite an anxious person and that you have been for a very long time. I wonder whether techniques like the ones in cognitive behavioural therapy could help you? They help you to gain control of your thoughts and notice repetitive patterns and break them. It could be something really useful for you. I'd like to recommend you look at a site called MoodGym (Google it). It's online free CBT stuff that you can do in your own time and at your own pace.

Alternatively if this is quite a serious problem, you may like to try seeing your GP about anxiety. Maybe they'll have a better idea of how to help you.

In any case, please do make yourself at home in the Soc and let us know how you're doing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there
    I suffer from social anxiety myself, so I know how it feels to regularly feel anxious in everyday situations. But Im certain that God has a plan for everyone in their lives, so even if I dont manage to fix this I trust that God will guide me through mt life.
    Good look in your exams and getting into oxbridge but dont beat yourself up if you dont manage to get in because its not the end of the world and God will help and guide you throughot your life
    I hope I was helpful
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EEngWillow)
    You worked out how to find me on Facebook yet? I dunno if you saw the message I sent you :P
    Yeah I saw the message I picked it up offa my phone. Have fun facebook stalking me. If we never chat on there you'll get deleted. I do a lot of that.

(Original post by Quornslice)
    What's your plan looking like? series of questions style or something else?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EEngWillow)
    What have you got in your plan?

Flesh out a word document with headings - once you get started and gain some momentum you'll find it easier than just sitting there thinking you don't know what to do. You don't have to write each section in order, just start filling in. You're going to be talking about the plum pudding model, Rutherford's experiment (bonus points for remembering to include Geiger and Marsden), and then the work done by Bohr, presumably? Just start by getting thoughts down, and then you can shape them into useful paragraphs.

Isn't it where you briefly scan through your document to prove to yourself you've written something?
    excellent advice is excellent.
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bex, if he adds you on Facebook we can add you to our cutefest Facebook chat :awesome:
    • 139 followers

ReputationRep:
    Once again, any prayer requests you want me to pray for while I'm in prayer room tomorrow for 24/7 prayer let me know, any I miss due to internet fails Craig will pass along.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Continue to have God on your mind, and know there is nothing impossible for Him. Remember all He has done for you, and when the next situation try to damper your focus, you will have confidence in God's ability because He brought you through before. Also, keep your focus on Jesus. That is where our ability and power is. The more we behold the righteousness He gave us at the cross, the more confident we will be in God. Just say to yourself throughout the day, 'it's all about Jesus' and 'As He is, so am I in this world'. Your mind will then begin to focus on Him, and the anxiety will leave. :cool:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw the message I picked it up offa my phone. Have fun facebook stalking me. If we never chat on there you'll get deleted. I do a lot of that.
    :eek:

excellent advice is excellent.
    Why thank you!

Bex, if he adds you on Facebook we can add you to our cutefest Facebook chat :awesome:
    I was going to ask if she wanted to be added first, instead of abducting her into our spam fellowship center...
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    x
    Sup
Updated: March 28, 2012
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.