Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Christian Society Mk.II

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    I've got school tomorrow :cry2: :cry2:
    I'm off tomorrow. :smug:
    This makes up for last week!

(Original post by Quornslice)
    Also, one of my friends is going to birmingham for a very important operation today, so could you keep him in your prayers please? And could you also keep a family in your prayers who's son passed away a year ago yesterday? Everyone from my school's christian union is praying for both families at the minute.
    Praying for them. :hugs:

(Original post by PoziHQ)
    As a christian, what I'm finding fundamentally difficult is trusting in God. It's so easy to trust in God when everything is going great, and you're doing well, and everything is fine. It's easy to say that you love God when everything feels like its going to plan. But its when things don't feel like they're going to plan. It's when everything feels uncertain.At the moment, I feel like the future is very uncertain, and that I'm going into a territory which I'm not very sure about.
    Oh, by the way, hey guys.

This is what I'm experiencing right now. Being a christian is all about abiding in God's love, but its also about being tested. Assuming that I'll never see any of you in real life, and that the intentions of everyone on this page are good, I'm going to explain my life story.

Since I was a child, I've had very low self esteem- possibly, I'm the least confident in my family. Things have changed- and I am very grateful to God for that, because I am much more confident now, however, the one thing that I was least confident about was my intellectualism. Before I read a question, I re read it before I get to the end, because I think that I'll read it incorrectly. I get nervous, because I think that I'll get it wrong. I've been experiencing this all of my life. It's gotten better dramatically...but its still there.

I've been known since I was a child that I was clever, as my mum tells me that when I was younger, and I was on the bus, people would look because I could talk so well. At the moment, I'm attaining an A* in maths and physics, but there was a time where I was so nervous in class...even if we had no exam, my heart would beat so quickly.I don't even struggle in school- I'm actually really clever. I'm gifted and talented for subjects including maths, english, history, and french, and according to my friends , I'm a great debater.

I was put for the intermediate maths challenge (2012). It wasn't difficult in the beginning- it was actually quite easy- but as usual, the thing that let me down was my nerves. Because I was so nervous in the beginning, I couldn't do the easy questions quick enough, so I was't able to finish. I think that I'll get a silver-which is good- but I could have done better. I don't believe in myself enough. And this is not something which I can just turn on or off. This is a psychological habit which I battle with every single day.

I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and economics for A level. I'm good at these subjects, but I really want to get into a good university like Oxford or Cambridge. I will never do my best, if I can't shake this problem.I love God with all of my heart- he knows this- and I'm trying to trust that he'll help me become more confident, because I wont be able to, if I don't ditch this problem. But I'm sure that this is where God wants me to go, because I actually love math, and I'm having to trust God more and more each day.

I started off feeling upset, but now I'm feeling happy. And for sure, you've got to remind yourself of all the things that God has already done for me. I'm in a safe country, I'm not awfully poor, or ill, and I'm not a slave, like many girls of the world today. I've got a lot to be grateful for.

On the note of gratitude, I think I'll draw this story to a close. Sorry that there was so much to read, no animals were harmed in the making of this non visual flashback, and I'm feeling pretty hungry,so I'm going to eat an imaginary piece of bread (it's way too late to be eating carbs).
    Hello! Welcome to X-soc. :hello:
    Sorry you're having it rough at the moment. :hugs:
    And please, don't settle for virtual bread- we have virtual cake atm.
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey tasha
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Hey tasha
    Evening TLG. :hat:

How are you today? :hugs:

(Or yesterday for that matter, looking at the clock!)
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was quite good today. Did a lot of ABBA listening and downloaded (legally) some sheet music for my essay this term :woo:

How was your day?

I can't sleep :no:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got unsubscribed
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    :console: :hugs: :console:

That keeps happening to me too. Apparently as long as you don't quote people, you stay subscribed. Some kinda bug :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im going to sound like a fool here
    How do you subscribe to threads?
    Sorry for the stupid question
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    See the Thread Tools tab just above the various page numbers and click 'Watch this thread'

Not a stupid question at all: took me aaaaaaaaaaaages to figure it out :yes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    See the Thread Tools tab just above the various page numbers and click 'Watch this thread'

Not a stupid question at all: took me aaaaaaaaaaaages to figure it out :yes:
    ohh thanks a lot
    it all makes sense now...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.
    New to TSR so please be patient with me lol.
    I'm 'Charlie', and I've had some interesting experiences as a christian.
    When I was 9 I went to Spring Harvest in Skegness. I had a very interesting time as I received numerous visions from God telling me to do work in Tanzania, Africa. As far as I understand it, I am to build an orphanage/school/hospital and run it from afar.
    I was baptised in a river when I was 15 and have tried to be a better christian ever since, but it never seemed to work. I went to an SU camp and met a boy called 'Alex' and we went out for 13 months. During this time I discovered he wanted to joing the Freemasons, and I wasn't happy to say the least lol. So I delivered him an ultimatum...me or them. He chose them, and has been hounding me ever since for being a stupid person, but oh well. It was from this point (in October 2011) when I really gave my life up to God and let him lead me.
    4 weeks after splitting with Alex, I went to a christian music event with some small bands, I know the band members personally through previous music events and so am almost part of 'the team'. Anyway, the youth group went shopping in the shopping centre and went to pizza hut. The other girls had invited some girls from a local church to come to lunch and then the music event. These girls from the local church came brought their friend, Kieran. We instantly started talking about, literally everything. Later on that night, he came with the girls to the event and we got to talking later in the evening. We instantly clicked and spent most of the night after the event chatting on facebook and he told me he liked me. The next night we we were up all night again talking and sharing about out faiths etc and we decided to make it official. He told me that night that he loved me.
    3 months later we've spent nights praying over the phone, been through quite a lot together, been to each others churchs (I prefer his to mine lol) and have just generally had a great time together. We both feel as if we are being pulled together by God, it was amazing to find out that during a previous music event I had slept in his youth centre. Not only that but the exact spot where I slept was where he broke down in the holy spirit about a year later. There are small things, but God is definatly with us. We felt it after only a week together, he said after a week he wanted to marry me
    On friday I had a series of 3 visions during a youth encounter night at Kieran's church. One showed us getting married, one at a football game with (our?) two children and then the firal one of a young boy playing football with a lot of african children on a dusty football field. I feel as if my life has drawn together with the last one at least and I'm finally feeling as if I know what I'm doing with my life. I wanted to marry Kieran anyway, it's just wonderful to have conformation from heaven that you're on the right track. Also, Kieran identified the stadium in the vision which is great.
    Sorry I just wanted to write it all down. Finally I have someone with a strong faith who is willing to stand by me whatever and has helped me increase my faith in Jesus.
    God is good x
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Charlie, welcome to the Soc! :hi:

Interesting experiences you've had. Have you talked to a priest/vicar/pastor/minister about these visions, to discern?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie Chaplin)
    Hello everyone.
    New to TSR so please be patient with me lol.
    I'm 'Charlie', and I've had some interesting experiences as a christian.
    When I was 9 I went to Spring Harvest in Skegness. I had a very interesting time as I received numerous visions from God telling me to do work in Tanzania, Africa. As far as I understand it, I am to build an orphanage/school/hospital and run it from afar.
    I was baptised in a river when I was 15 and have tried to be a better christian ever since, but it never seemed to work. I went to an SU camp and met a boy called 'Alex' and we went out for 13 months. During this time I discovered he wanted to joing the Freemasons, and I wasn't happy to say the least lol. So I delivered him an ultimatum...me or them. He chose them, and has been hounding me ever since for being a stupid person, but oh well. It was from this point (in October 2011) when I really gave my life up to God and let him lead me.
    4 weeks after splitting with Alex, I went to a christian music event with some small bands, I know the band members personally through previous music events and so am almost part of 'the team'. Anyway, the youth group went shopping in the shopping centre and went to pizza hut. The other girls had invited some girls from a local church to come to lunch and then the music event. These girls from the local church came brought their friend, Kieran. We instantly started talking about, literally everything. Later on that night, he came with the girls to the event and we got to talking later in the evening. We instantly clicked and spent most of the night after the event chatting on facebook and he told me he liked me. The next night we we were up all night again talking and sharing about out faiths etc and we decided to make it official. He told me that night that he loved me.
    3 months later we've spent nights praying over the phone, been through quite a lot together, been to each others churchs (I prefer his to mine lol) and have just generally had a great time together. We both feel as if we are being pulled together by God, it was amazing to find out that during a previous music event I had slept in his youth centre. Not only that but the exact spot where I slept was where he broke down in the holy spirit about a year later. There are small things, but God is definatly with us. We felt it after only a week together, he said after a week he wanted to marry me
    On friday I had a series of 3 visions during a youth encounter night at Kieran's church. One showed us getting married, one at a football game with (our?) two children and then the firal one of a young boy playing football with a lot of african children on a dusty football field. I feel as if my life has drawn together with the last one at least and I'm finally feeling as if I know what I'm doing with my life. I wanted to marry Kieran anyway, it's just wonderful to have conformation from heaven that you're on the right track. Also, Kieran identified the stadium in the vision which is great.
    Sorry I just wanted to write it all down. Finally I have someone with a strong faith who is willing to stand by me whatever and has helped me increase my faith in Jesus.
    God is good x
    Hey charlie
    Nice to meet you
    • 145 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I got unsubscribed

:console: :hugs: :console:

That keeps happening to me too. Apparently as long as you don't quote people, you stay subscribed. Some kinda bug :dontknow:
    Tis not quoting that's the issue, it's replying via anything other than the quick reply box. So if you just use the multiquote button and the quick reply box it's all fabby!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Uhhhh guys, I woke up this morning about 20 minutes ago at my desk with a blank essay plan on my screen... i'm screwed. I leave for school in about 15 minutes, and I have physics second lesson. There's no way I can get a fifteen-hundred word essay done before then. Last thing I remember was switching back to the word document, then it was suddenly 25 to 8.
    • 145 followers

ReputationRep:
    Uhhhh guys, I woke up this morning about 20 minutes ago at my desk with a blank essay plan on my screen... i'm screwed. I leave for school in about 15 minutes, and I have physics second lesson. There's no way I can get a fifteen-hundred word essay done before then. Last thing I remember was switching back to the word document, then it was suddenly 25 to 8.
    :console: just tell the teacher you'll give it to them tomorrow, you're really sorry but you just didn't get it done.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    :console: just tell the teacher you'll give it to them tomorrow, you're really sorry but you just didn't get it done.
    She'll just use the argument that I had all of half term to do it, but I guess i'll try that. Hopefully she'll let me have the extra day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    She'll just use the argument that I had all of half term to do it, but I guess i'll try that. Hopefully she'll let me have the extra day.
    Im sure everything will be fine:console:
    I have a fun day planned which involves cleaning out my room :boring:
    It is quite messy...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ideally find her before the lesson to explain - teachers appreciate the effort of coming to find then before the lesson and are more likely to be lenient. (Speaking as both a student, and a teacher!)

Possibly a bit late to be helpful now though...
    • 145 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but sometimes things just don't get done. Such is life :sadnod:

Maybe I just got away with things at school because I was a generally good student but if I apologised things were normally okay.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey Charlie. That Youth Encounter night sounds like Hillsong Church.
Updated: March 28, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.