Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Christian Society Mk.II

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha96)
    Ah, I see. They would want to be my friends though...
    I'll look into it though. :yep:
    You can also control how much your friends can see :yes: You could also just deny them
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EEngWillow)
    You can also control how much your friends can see :yes: You could also just deny them
    It won't let me rep your One Ring to Mordor post :cry:

tasha: It's OK, we still love you even if you fail at being a teenager :jumphug:

I'm giving up suicide attempts
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

tasha: It's OK, we still love you even if you fail at being a teenager :jumphug:

Aww. Well it's the thought that counts

:hugs: Remember we're all here for you regardless of the time hun.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    :teehee:
    I'm sure that would go down well!

Or I could make two? One for parents and school people and one for tsr? :ninja:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    :teehee:
    I'm sure that would go down well!

Or I could make two? One for parents and school people and one for tsr? :ninja:
    Haha. My parents would've been fine with it, they actually asked if they could add me before they did so...
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Procrastination is the fear of success

Time to work because I fear nothing :smug:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :teehee: I just like that saying
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    Procrastination is the fear of success
    Or a fear of work. One of the two.

:jumphug:

Haha. My parents would've been fine with it, they actually asked if they could add me before they did so...
    Aww, that was nice of them.
    I was being serious though. That could be a solution. :hugs:
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    That could be a solution. :hugs:
    Ethereal from PS Help has a normal profile (to which he's added no one from PS Help) and then a special TSR PS Help profile, to which he's added lots of PS Helpers and maybe one or two others :yes:
    • 146 followers

ReputationRep:
    On that note, it would be really good if we could get a list compiled of what people are giving/taking up for Lent actually. I can edit things into this post if you supply them

• Willow: Caffeine/Fizzy-drinks
    • Tasha: Chocolate and Biscuits
    • TLG: Suicide attempts
    Giving up caffeine heavy fizzy drinks (so coke, pepsi, irn bru, red bull etc.) but still allowed to have sprite kinda fizzy drinks! Also listening to entire new testament and trying to focus on God loads of course.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was

It could be a solution :hugs:
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ethereal from PS Help has a normal profile (to which he's added no one from PS Help) and then a special TSR PS Help profile, to which he's added lots of PS Helpers and maybe one or two others :yes:
    Ah, thank you! :hugs:
    I shall get looking into making two up in the next few days then and join the normal people. :yep:
    (she says sitting revising for physics while making ethanol molecules with her molymods. Nothing un-normal there.) :ninja:
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi :hi: I don't really post here but I was just listening to a song that kind of helped me because the lyrics were so strong, and has comforted me/calmed me/consoled me during some tough times. So thought I'd share the lyrics:

Spoiler:
    Show
    You don't have to worry
    And don't you be afraid
    Joy comes in the morning
    Troubles they don't last always
    For there's a friend in Jesus
    Who will wipe your tears away
    And if your heart is broken
    Just lift your hands and say

Oh
    I know that I can make it
    I know that I can stand
    No matter what may come my way
    My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it
    With Him I know I can stand
    My life is in your hands

So when your tests and trials
    They seem to get you down
    And all your friends and loved ones
    Are nowhere to be found
    Remember there's a friend in Jesus
    And if you heart is broken

Oh
    I know that I can stand
    My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it
    My life is in your hands

That's all really, and nice to meet everyone
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViceVersa)
    Hi :hi: I don't really post here but I was just listening to a song that kind of helped me because the lyrics were so strong, and has comforted me/calmed me/consoled me during some tough times. So thought I'd share the lyrics:

Spoiler:
    Show
    You don't have to worry
    And don't you be afraid
    Joy comes in the morning

Oh
    I know that I can stand
    My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it
    My life is in your hands

Are nowhere to be found

Oh
    I know that I can stand
    My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it
    My life is in your hands

Hiya! :hugs:
    • 146 followers

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    You don't have to worry
    And don't you be afraid
    Joy comes in the morning

Oh
    I know that I can stand
    My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it
    My life is in your hands

Are nowhere to be found

Oh
    I know that I can stand
    My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it
    My life is in your hands

Good song :yep: and hey my lovely :jumphug:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I'm extremely sorry I have taken so long to reply but I have had so much work recently. I'll try not to take over the page

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by yawn)
    Verse 2 of the above letter and chapter says ..."please do not get excited too soon or alarmed by any prediction or rumour or any letter claiming to come from us, implying that the Day of the Lord has already arrived". :confused: I think you may be getting your quote confused here since it belongs proper to Mt. 7:15 where Christ warns of false prophets, and the context has nothing to do with Church tradition but rather that false prophets may be recognised by their fruits...v16-20..."Can people pick grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles? In the same way, a sound tree produces good fruite but a rotten tree, bad fruit. sound tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor a rotten tree bear good fruit. Any treen that does not produce good fruit is cut down and thrown on the fire. I repeat, you will be able to tell them by their fruits." Essentially He's warning that fallible men will invariably produce fallible interpretations of scripture. That's the reason why He established His Church, directing Peter to tend His sheep (Jn. 21:16) and promising to send His Spirit to guide her leaders to all truth (Jn. 16:13).
    not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.
    (2 Thessalonians 2:2 ESV)

This verse is concerning false prophets who were declaring that the day of the lord had already come. So if you contrast this to v. 15 you see that they must ensure they stick to the teaching of the apostles and not to follow men who claimed to be teachers from God.

(Original post by yawn)
    By ripping verses apart in the way you have done rips them out of context and use them in ways never intended by their authors. Looked at in context, we see that St. Paul is exceedingly clear as he upholds both tradition and oral teaching and commands the faithful to preserve them. If your doctrine of scripture alone were true, he would have been required to urge his readers to hold fast to scripture and to leave everything else behind. Of course nowhere does he - or any other apostle, or any Church Father - make any such statement. Thus, the principle of scripture alone is self-negating. It states in effect: "Scripture alone is the supreme authority in every principle of faith except this one, which is not found - or even hinted at - anywhere in the scriptures."
    That is because they did not have the NT scriptures which contain the teaching! He clearly offers them teaching in written form which reinforces the teaching already given.

On the topic of the early church Fathers (Ignatius, Polycarp, Clement, the Didache, and Barnabus) taught doctrine and defended Christianity against heresies. Their sole appeal for authority was Scripture.

Tertullian- "We have learned from none others the plan of our salvation, than from those through whom the gospel has come down to us, which they did at one time proclaim in public, and, at a later period, by the will of God, handed down to us in the Scriptures, to be the ground and pillar of our faith."

Ellen Flessman-van Leer- "For Tertullian, Scripture is the only means for refuting or validating a doctrine as regards its content… For Irenaeus, the Church doctrine is certainly never purely traditional; on the contrary, the thought that there could be some truth, transmitted exclusively viva voce (orally), is a Gnostic line of thought… If Irenaeus wants to prove the truth of a doctrine materially, he turns to Scripture, because therein the teaching of the apostles is objectively accessible. Proof from tradition and Scripture serve one and the same end: to identify the teaching of the Church as the original apostolic teaching. The first establishes that the teaching of the Church is this apostolic teaching, and the second, what this apostolic teaching is."

J.N.D. Kelly has pointed out: "The clearest token of the prestige enjoyed by Scripture is the fact that almost the entire theological effort of the Fathers, whether their aims were polemical or constructive, was expended upon what amounted to the exposition of the Bible. Further, it was everywhere taken for granted that, for any doctrine to win acceptance, it had first to establish its Scriptural basis".

All this changed in the 16th century when the Council of Trent denied the sufficiency of Scripture

(Original post by yawn)
    I've already addressed this in the first part of my response. Are you saying that each person who picks up a Bible will be unerringly guided to the truth by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit? That in itself, is a claim of infallibility - not for one faithful and learned man sitting in Rome, who has been anointed by the authority which Christ bestowed upon His apostles, but for millions of individuals regardless of their education, their sensitivity, their knowledge of those who wrote the Bible or the forms of literature contained in it, their prayer life or their spirituality - or even the nature of their intentions. Why, even non-Christians and non-believers will be endowed with the same infallibility in that case! Do you never wonder why there are so many different Christian churches who cannot agree over their differing interpretations of scripture?
    Spirituality does not come into it. Why would non-believers be able to understand scripture? You're not suggesting that they too are lead by the Holy Spirit.

Scripture is not supposed to be "interpreted" anyway. Why would God give us his word in a form we could not understand? that makes no sense. He has given us the scriptures so we know his will, the law is already written on the heart of the Christian. We have the apostolic teaching in scripture, why rely on fallible men who claim to know God's word rather than go to the Holy Scriptures God has given us.

(Original post by yawn)
    Again, I remind you of the dangers of believing that every individual who picks up a Bible will be unerringly guided to the truth by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
    Not everyone who picks up the Bible is saved! Those with the Holy Spirit are given knowledge directly from God through his word, without that we simply interpret it, not read what it actually says.

(Original post by yawn)
    You are missing the crux...and have focussed on the wrong thing. Again, St. Paul is repeating his message of expecting his followers to acknowledge the authority of oral traditions, not just his letters. In fact, in every instance, his letters were written to support the teachings he had previously imparted verbally.
    Does your church have these words passed down in verbal form? No. We have the scriptures which contain the teaching we need, God has given us it. Why would he give us something incomplete?

(Original post by yawn)
    You are supposed to be addressing my point that scripture is not our ultimate authority. You must remember that for the first 400 years there was no Bible for a Christian to refer to. Everyone who learned the faith was taught by another - the same method used by the apostles. Eventually, the Church in her authority, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, determined the canon of the scriptures, which provided the faitfuly with a reliable reference for use in the building up of the faith. So if we believe the scriptures are truly inspired, then it follows that the Church must be infallible for it was the Church's authority - not the scriptures themselves - that declared these specific writings to be God-breathed. And if the Church is not infallible in her teachings, then we cannot assume the scriptures she validated are God-breathed, since the authority that declared them so is not trustworthy. So if the Catholic Church can err, then we must condemn the scriptures she has passed down to us as spurious. Trusting the Bible while distrusting the Church that assembled, pronounced, and then protected the Bible through the ages flies in the face of both logic and history.
    That makes no sense. The "church" is based on the logic of man, the scriptures the word of God. The catholic church did not pick and chose what went into the Bible.

(Original post by yawn)
    Whilst I thank you for your views, you have only addressed two verses out of the multitude I provided, all corroborating the authority that Jesus bestowed upon His apostles and successors to teach and guide His flock until He returns again.
    I think if we look at even those three we can clearly see that they do not support the view of the catholic church that the church itself dictates the law of God but that the word of God is supreme.

(Original post by yawn)
    Once you have addressed the corroborative verses you will understand that because scripture itself is not self-revealing as Philip makes clear in Act 8:30-31, it cannot be our ultimate authority. God has given us no guarantee that our insights into the scriptures will be without error. And without an authoritative voice to interpret the scriptures, a voice that is guided by the Holy Spirit (as indicated by Jesus), discord will reign. You see, whilst practically all the tens of thousands of Christian denominations agree that the scriptures are their ultimate authority, most of them can't agree on what the scriptures actually say. This tragic condition - which can result in a loss of faith as doctrinal disputes arise, leaders and teachings change, and groups within congregations are expected to keep pace or else break away - is not authored by the Holy Spirit.
    Well all the churches that do teach the true Gospel do agree on the fundamentals. By holding to the scriptures you can find all the answers if you are willing to follow them not the churches interpretation.

(Original post by yawn)
    I haven't got a clue what and why you say that the 'sinners prayer' is heresy.

I only know one sinners prayer, and that is one of contrition for having offended God by our sins, and asking for His grace so that we can refrain from sin in the future. Do you believe in that? Or do you think you can sin as much as you like, and that, contrary to scripture, there is no sin which is deadly to the soul?
    That is not being saved. Nowhere! Nowhere in the Bible is anyone saved by a prayer! Man cannot save himself! God is not obligated to answer that prayer, he serves no man.

One is saved by his will. We believe in Jesus Christ, receive his spirit within us, are convicted in sin, repent and turn to follow the will of the father. That is the way to be saved. Not by asking Jesus to come into your heart, he won't. You must believe, repent and follow. Believe, repent and follow, that is the way all the people are saved in the NT. It's not through prayer. Certainly not through a preachers prayer.

(Original post by yawn)
    "I Myself will gather the remnant of My flock from all the lands to which I have driven them and bring them back to their meadow; that they sall increase and multiply. I will appoint sheperds for them who will shepherd them so that they need no longer fear and tremble; and none shall be missing, says the Lord." Jer. 23:1-4

Nowhere does God say He will protect His sheep by providing for them the scriptures. Instead, He raises up leaders from the community for them to follow, shepherds through whom He guides them. He is still doing so.
    He does. But they follow the will of God. How do we know this will? Though his spirit and the scriptures. People should not follow men but God.

(Original post by yawn)
    Anyway, if you're still not convinced, read through all the corroborative verses I've given you and we can discuss them further in you wish.
    I think that it is very clear that if we follow after the teaching of men we are in danger of following false prophets. We must follow the will of God.

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was

It could be a solution :hugs:

Spoiler:
    Show
    You don't have to worry
    And don't you be afraid
    Joy comes in the morning

Oh
    I know that I can stand
    My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it
    My life is in your hands

Are nowhere to be found

Oh
    I know that I can stand
    My life is in your hands

With Jesus I can take it
    My life is in your hands

Hello! Really nice song And very nice to see you!
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! :hugs:
    Hi :hugs:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Good song :yep: and hey my lovely :jumphug:
    Glad you agree, it is :yes: and why hello there :awesome: :hugs:
    Hello! Really nice song And very nice to see you!
    Thank you, it is indeed :yes: and nice to see you too
    • 146 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glad you agree, it is :yes: and why hello there :awesome: :hugs:
    You've found my super lurking place :ninja:
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    You've found my super lurking place :ninja:
    Indeed I have! :gasp:
    • 146 followers

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I have! :gasp:
    It's lush, everyone here's lovely, and we have virtual food sharing :coma:
Updated: March 28, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.