The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Chances of being accepted?

I'm appling for a masters in Energy Studies specialization in Oil and Gas. I am american and graduated my undergrad from Oklahoma State University, a mid-range school known for pumping out students to go into the energy field. I had pretty good grades with a 3.42 GPA, out of 4.0.
I am still waiting for my references to give me their letters (hopefully tomorrow) then I'll send all my official documents in. I have two solid references, one a Law Professor from OSU who I often grab a pint with. The other a Doctor in Management, who at one time ran the Management department at OSU.

I had read I was almost certain to get in, since UK schools like taking us Yanks in because we pay high tuition fees. However, now that things are getting closer and I've got myself excited about it I'm starting to get a little nervous about getting accepted.

Anyone know if I have good odds, or have some experience with this sort of thing?
or any other tips or advice bout Dundee. (academically, socially, international student related) :redface:
Reply 1
Original post by asack
I'm appling for a masters in Energy Studies specialization in Oil and Gas. I am american and graduated my undergrad from Oklahoma State University, a mid-range school known for pumping out students to go into the energy field. I had pretty good grades with a 3.42 GPA, out of 4.0.
I am still waiting for my references to give me their letters (hopefully tomorrow) then I'll send all my official documents in. I have two solid references, one a Law Professor from OSU who I often grab a pint with. The other a Doctor in Management, who at one time ran the Management department at OSU.

I had read I was almost certain to get in, since UK schools like taking us Yanks in because we pay high tuition fees. However, now that things are getting closer and I've got myself excited about it I'm starting to get a little nervous about getting accepted.

Anyone know if I have good odds, or have some experience with this sort of thing?
or any other tips or advice bout Dundee. (academically, socially, international student related) :redface:

Sorry, I don't have any experience or advice for you but the one thing that stood out for me in what you wrote is that neither of your references appear to be from your own academic field. This is rather unusual as I would have expected at least one reference to be from a professor or tutor in the field in which you have been studying.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Original post by AnnB
Sorry, I don't have any experience or advice for you but the one thing that stood out for me in what you wrote is that neither of your references appear to be from your own academic field. This is rather unusual as I would have expected at least one reference to be from a professor or tutor in the field in which you have been studying.

I think the education system is different in the US, because as a Business Management major I took lots of unrelated classes, as everyone in the US has to. Such as: Acting, Theology, Philosophy, Meteorology, Geology, Geography, etc.

The law professor I had classes with several times for Business law, and EU Law. The management professor I took for many of my Major classes, I think 4 or 5 classes.

My degree isn't specific to Energy (reason why I want to get a masters). However, I have done an internship within the Energy industry for a Natural Gas predictions and analysis firm. I guess I should have mentioned that! :colondollar:
Reply 3
oh and I mentioned my alma mater is known for pumping out students who go into the energy field, thats because most of our business classes were unofficially targeted around that industry. Like in my economics classes we would use oil as an example.
Hopefully I haven't made this more confusing than it needs to be. Just trying to explain that I'm not naive when it comes to this degree path.

cheers
Reply 4
Sorry to be that guy, but don't you think your leaving your application a little late? Most people would have sent off a month ago. I don't know where your applying to but most uni's started giving out offers around two months ago, a lot don't wait until they've received all of their applications...
Reply 5
Original post by Shmally123
Sorry to be that guy, but don't you think your leaving your application a little late? Most people would have sent off a month ago. I don't know where your applying to but most uni's started giving out offers around two months ago, a lot don't wait until they've received all of their applications...

I hope not, so far my communication with them has led me to believe I would be ok. I'm applying for September 2012, and according to their website they are still taking applicants for this coming January.
The process has seemed a little informal compared to what I've read on undergrad.

But, what do I know? :confused:
Reply 6
Personally, I wouldn't have thought you'd be too late - certainly for Abertay Undergrads the first interviews are in February and no one gets an offer before that.

Either way my pro tip is make sure you track down the International Students' Society at Uni during Freshers Fayre :smile:
Reply 7
I just turned in all of my references and things. Now I just have to wait until after the new year to hear from them. Its nerve wrecking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending