The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Update:

as long as you dress smart, you don't need to where suite and tie, but remember that first impressions do count!

Process for London:
Initial Registration - Document checks, Make sure your passport is Valid, or take FULL birth certificate. Bank Statement in last Month dated.

Interview (maybe group of 2) :

Sight Test - can you read the letters on the sheet (basic opticians test)
Smell Test - identify the liquid in a cup.. (used for sniffing out drunks, petrol.. stuff like that at the games)

Conflict History - explain a time when you resolved a conflict, and what actions you took.

Photograph - Your photo is taken

Document Check (Final) - you will finish your application here, walk through your application form and fill in the blanks.

Finished!

Background Check - this can take upto 12 Weeks.

Overall Time at Interview Day - 3-4 Hours (Based on London where it was packed and the queue was big!)

Good Luck!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oiMr
Update:

as long as you dress smart, you don't need to where suite and tie, but remember that first impressions do count!

Process for London:
Initial Registration - Document checks, Make sure your passport is Valid, or take FULL birth certificate. Bank Statement in last Month dated.

Interview (maybe group of 2) :

Sight Test - can you read the letters on the sheet (basic opticians test)
Smell Test - identify the liquid in a cup.. (used for sniffing out drunks, petrol.. stuff like that at the games)

Conflict History - explain a time when you resolved a conflict, and what actions you took.

Photograph - Your photo is taken

Document Check (Final) - you will finish your application here, walk through your application form and fill in the blanks.

Finished!

Background Check - this can take upto 12 Weeks.

Overall Time at Interview Day - 3-4 Hours (Based on London where it was packed and the queue was big!)

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot, got one tomorrow!
Reply 2
Hi, I have an interview soon for security in Cardiff for the Olympics. What kind of questions did the ask you? Also I am 18 so do you think that it will be a disadvantage with being so young, and not having any experience in security?
Reply 3
Hello everyone, I am applying for this role because I would really love to be part of our country's history. I am really nervous about the interview though and have no experience in security whatsoever.
I'd be very greatful if anyone who has already attended their interview to kindly help me out with the following:
- What kind of questions does the interviewer ask?
- what tests to they conduct with me? eyesight, smell etc
- what are the substances inside the cups that I keep hearing about? aparently I need to smell the cups and identify what the substances are? what are these substances?
- do I need get an SIA licence before I can apply?
- am I required to bring passport photos to the interview?
Thank you to anyone who kindly gives me some intel.
Original post by day1100
Hi, I have an interview soon for security in Cardiff for the Olympics. What kind of questions did the ask you? Also I am 18 so do you think that it will be a disadvantage with being so young, and not having any experience in security?

I'm even younger but I passed the interview. :biggrin:. No experience in security or anything and they signed me up for X-ray scanner. They claimed I would get a job, if I passed the clearing phase , which takes up to 3 months.......typical British efficiency hahaha.

Original post by jond0e1
Hello everyone, I am applying for this role because I would really love to be part of our country's history. I am really nervous about the interview though and have no experience in security whatsoever.
I'd be very greatful if anyone who has already attended their interview to kindly help me out with the following:
- What kind of questions does the interviewer ask?
- what tests to they conduct with me? eyesight, smell etc
- what are the substances inside the cups that I keep hearing about? aparently I need to smell the cups and identify what the substances are? what are these substances?
- do I need get an SIA licence before I can apply?
- am I required to bring passport photos to the interview?
Thank you to anyone who kindly gives me some intel.

Don't be nervous. It's all a bit intimidating beforehand, but as soon as you get there all the interviewers are barely 25 , really nice and sympathetic. I had no exp. either.

They will ask you why g4s, what do you know about g4s, and some pretty basic questions about your motivation for working at the olympics.

They do an eyesight test which is like the one at the optician with the letters on the wall. The smell test is really obvious dw, it's not designed to catch you out.

You don't need an sea licence.

Don't think you need passport photos, they take a photo there if you pass the in
interview.

Just try and bring all the documents it asks you to, and fill in the online preinterview form beforehand otherwise they don't let you leave until you finish it haha. If you don't have one of the right documents, they will ask you to send it in after interview within the next days.

My interview was like 5 and pretty straightforward. You will be fine :wink:

Sorry for the crappy spag, it's 7am and I'm trying to type in bed on an iPad, unnsuccessfully!
Reply 5
i was just about to ask this question when i saw this friend, praise be to TSR :smile: still uite nervous though :/ got mine of wednesday at oxford cherwell ... dont suppose anyone else does do they?
Original post by Absinth
Hey, do you happen to have the link for the pre interview form? They gave me an e-mail with a link, but it just leads to the main G4S page!

Yeah, that baffled me to at first :smile:

You have to log in on that page, (somewhere in the corner?), then it will come up.
Reply 7
Original post by kingcoltzan
I'm even younger

Just been trying to apply, the website said that I wasn't eligible because I was under 18. How did you manage to apply for the job?
Original post by thomas888b
Just been trying to apply, the website said that I wasn't eligible because I was under 18. How did you manage to apply for the job?

Will be above the age by July 1st.
Original post by Absinth
Sorry if I'm being daft, but is it just the "profile and personal info" I have to fill in? Thanks for your help :smile:

You log in, my dashboard should appear. Under my job apps it should say application status - more info required.
Oh thank god this thread exists, I've got mine tomorrow at 11:30!

Seems like it won't be too bad and I can prepare some answers to the questions, they seem pretty straight forward standard interview questions.

I'm a bit confused as with what to wear though, I was planning on a shirt and trousers with a jacket or something, but not really too sure how formal it is? Any ideas?? :smile:
Original post by hardleyouth

Seems like it won't be too bad and I can prepare some answers to the questions, they seem pretty straight forward standard interview questions.

I'm a bit confused as with what to wear though, I was planning on a shirt and trousers with a jacket or something, but not really too sure how formal it is? Any ideas?? :smile:

Suit with tie if you have one. You can *hardly ever* come across badly under first impressions if you wear a suit.

If you don't shirt and trousers is perfectly fine....

Its not that you lose marks, its just if they see you in a suit you automatically command a greater level of respect, so its always worth wearing one (IMO) if you can :smile: Unless its a very artsy liberal institution :P
:colondollar:
Suit with tie if you have one. You can *hardly ever* come across badly under first impressions if you wear a suit.

If you don't shirt and trousers is perfectly fine....

Its not that you lose marks, its just if they see you in a suit you automatically command a greater level of respect, so its always worth wearing one (IMO) if you can :smile: Unless its a very artsy liberal institution :P

i am of great agreement my friend, and I always feel special wearing a suit so I'm gona do that! ;D

Question now is, waistcoat or no waistcoat! :') I think not, it's a bit too etonian and public school boy-ish I think!
:colondollar:

i am of great agreement my friend, and I always feel special wearing a suit so I'm gona do that! ;D

Question now is, waistcoat or no waistcoat! :') I think not, it's a bit too etonian and public school boy-ish I think!

Skip the waistcoast :tongue:

Can't go wrong in dark suit - black navy or charcoal, white/pink/blue PLAIN shirt and a PLAIN dark tie.

As much as it hurts me to say it, save the fashionable clothes for the next day....had to wear plain black socks yesterday for an interview haha, it hurt...... (how sad am i ?! )
Skip the waistcoast :tongue:

Can't go wrong in dark suit - black navy or charcoal, white/pink/blue PLAIN shirt and a PLAIN dark tie.

As much as it hurts me to say it, save the fashionable clothes for the next day....had to wear plain black socks yesterday for an interview haha, it hurt...... (how sad am i ?! )

I'm going dark grey,I think that'll stills alright :wink:

Im boring with socks, all I own are black ones really ! :frown: :')
How much is pay?

How'd it go :smile:
Original post by icancount23
How much is pay?

For London I read somewhere it was meant to be "London Living wage" which was between £8.00 - 8.50 / hour. Which isn't bad at all... But if I pass clearing and get the job I will report back :smile:
How'd it go :smile:

Was fine, was there for about 3 hours though, apparently I've been put in for a search operative role. And, because my passport expires before November, I should of brought my full birth certificate apparently :-| could of told me that before I went all the way from Northampton to Upton Park! :') so now I've got to either take it down to Stratford personally or post it to them within 10 days! :frown:

Although I really dont see why my passport expiring in November make that necessary?? :s

Up to 60 days for the CRB check to go through and for me to hear back apparently !
Original post by icancount23
How much is pay?

Like King said, its likely to be London living wage initially, but from what I heard from people today, it's fairly easy to move up to more serious roles in G4S, like close protection and stuff, and when you get to that sort of level it's more like £16 p/h and stuff! :smile:

But initially for this role probably around or just above £8 or so

Quick Reply