The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by H.Maleki
Have you not done the level 2 door supervisors course?

Have not done any training yet. From G4S only recieved details about the VSA training, nothing about the SIA training. Should this come later?
Original post by tooosh
Bridging the what? No idea what that is but I would think most people applied straight, even here.

oh, everyone i know who applied to it applied through the 'bridging the gap' scheme. something the government dreamt up to get kids involved in the olympics as only sixth formers can apply :smile:
Reply 562
Original post by cl_steele
oh, everyone i know who applied to it applied through the 'bridging the gap' scheme. something the government dreamt up to get kids involved in the olympics as only sixth formers can apply :smile:

Yeah I just looked it up. They don't support that many colleges though!
Silly question here
But this morning I had a phone call from g4s asking to clarify my address

Then later on I got another phone call Telling me I have a date to start my sia training

So do I have a job or what?
Will I get paid for the training

And if I do the training and don't get the job do I keep the badge or. We'd to pay for the course?

And what are the chances of the screening going to hell when I've got like no criminal convictions or anything like that?
No one can really answer those question apart from g4s. I done all the training they ask me too do so far. Haven't hardly heard anything since doing my sia training a month ago. Had to email to find out if I passed, as hadn't even heard from them wether I passed or not.
Ah really as long as that?
Can't you phone up sia?
Coz I'm pretty sure you need to apply for your card thru them,

So do you have any idea if your training is relevant?
Like could you go and do another job in the time being with your security?
G4s deals with the licensing for those doing training for them. At training u fill out a sia application form. Which got hand in to g4s to submit. I was told in my email licensing taking 4 to 10 weeks to go through.
Reply 567
Original post by .Missy
They didnt for me :s-smilie:

There so unorganized -_-
Reply 568
Original post by cl_steele
i dont think thats in relation to the bridging the gap application one though, which i assume most people on here used?

I applied through the actual website, itll be a shame if we go through all this trouble and they turn us down at the end -_-
Reply 569
Original post by chh1
Have not done any training yet. From G4S only recieved details about the VSA training, nothing about the SIA training. Should this come later?

If anything it should come first. I was told it is the SIA course (level 2 door supervision) which is 38 hours. Then the one day screening and searching, then you do the training to where you have been placed for which in your case is the VSA. Ive done the first two trainings, and I haven't been told what im doing. When im told, ill do the training for that
Reply 570
I've just realised that the Olympic dates are:

Olympic Games 27 July - 12 August (17 days work)

Paralympic Games 29 Aug - 9 Sept (12 days work)

So in total we have 29 days of work, so just under a months worth!
Also there is a big gap/break between the two games. Anyone know if we will be working besides these dates? I know they said there might be some test events before the games but that's all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 571
Original post by Erazor
I've just realised that the Olympic dates are:

Olympic Games 27 July - 12 August (17 days work)

Paralympic Games 29 Aug - 9 Sept (12 days work)

So in total we have 29 days of work, so just under a months worth!
Also there is a big gap/break between the two games. Anyone know if we will be working besides these dates? I know they said there might be some test events before the games but that's all.

I remember reading they are 12 hour shifts somewhere, so it's not that bad on the amount of work/money front.
Reply 572
has anyone received a P60 from g4s?
Reply 573
I don't think you'll work every single day, especially if you're in locations such as Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow etc where there's only Football. I'm guessing they'll want you some days just to patrol the site when there's no events on. That could get boring...
Reply 574
Original post by tooosh
I remember reading they are 12 hour shifts somewhere, so it's not that bad on the amount of work/money front.

Original post by Prodigy
I don't think you'll work every single day, especially if you're in locations such as Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow etc where there's only Football. I'm guessing they'll want you some days just to patrol the site when there's no events on. That could get boring...

No you won't work everyday as it stated on the various job adverts it said 48+ hours a week with 12 hour shifts you will only be working 4 days a week but 48 hours is still a full time job (and some more).

29 days roughly means 4.14 weeks of work. Now 4.14 weeks x 48 hours x £8.50 (average roles/positions) looking at about an earning of £1689.12 before tax takes it's big cut :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 575
Original post by Erazor
No you won't work everyday as it stated on the various job adverts it said 48+ hours a week with 12 hour shifts you will only be working 4 days a week but 48 hours is still a full time job (and some more).

29 days roughly means 4.14 weeks of work. Now 4.14 weeks x 48 hours x £8.50 (average roles/positions) looking at about an earning of £1689.12 before tax takes it's big cut :biggrin:

How would tax work for this? Would they extrapolate it to the yearly boundaries and use that?
Reply 576
Original post by Erazor

What are they expecting us to do on days where there is no Football? I'm sure Manchester has 8 days of Football and no Paralympic dates. I know some days will just be keeping the site secure but with 1000's of people applying in Manchester alone I'm sure there won't be room for everyone to work and certainly not 48 hours a week.

I guess we could also be working at Public Transport places and the Live Site venues also though?

As for tax, isn't the earnings before tax like 8 thousand a year? I guess there's emergency tax? Which you will get back..
Reply 577
Last time I worked for a 6 months contract with a company I had to pay my taxes for the year and claim them back after the tax year had gone by.

I am also wondering what I will do between the games gap I'm on benefits at the moment and it's going to take me two rapid reclaims (which is still a long progress of visiting offices and filling out big forms). I was really hoping that they would employ us consecutively for a month at least! :mad:
wait ive told a lie ive been 'hired' does anyone know what happens now or do i just wait for the people to get in contact?
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Just finished my door supervisor course today for the week - hallelujah! :woo: No more getting up at 5am for now :biggrin:. I'm also starting to feel a bit more optimistic about the future, knowing that I now have possibly (if all goes well) and finally landed a decent temporary job and extra skills that will hopefully open up more doors for me in the future :smile:

Gonna use up the rest of my 7-day travelcard by wandering round London for the next 3 days :biggrin:

What is the training like? Did you have to do any exams at the end of it?

Quick Reply