The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Hemisphere
What is the training like? Did you have to do any exams at the end of it?

Yes, 3 written exams and one physical intervention. Which really isnt an exam, they just show you techniques
What is the training like? Did you have to do any exams at the end of it?

Pretty much what H.Maleki said ^^^
Reply 582
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

Thats what she said :wink:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

Original post by H.Maleki
Yes, 3 written exams and one physical intervention. Which really isnt an exam, they just show you techniques

Thanks for replying - I've been booked in for my training and will be doing it soon.

How are the 3 written exams? There must be a lot to remember if the training is the whole day and the exam is at the end. Is it multiple choice or open-ended questions?

Cheers
Thanks for replying - I've been booked in for my training and will be doing it soon.

How are the 3 written exams? There must be a lot to remember if the training is the whole day and the exam is at the end. Is it multiple choice or open-ended questions?

Cheers

Multiple choice, and very easy as long as you listen to everything your tutor says and read through your book as much as you can :smile:
Reply 585
I may just withdraw my application, too much effin hassle and not enough communication on G4S's part.
Reply 586
In regards to hours, it will depend on the site you are working. On the site I have it will be 12hr shifts but you have also been scheduled in for an extra half hour for briefings.

I am not sure how they a going to manage the split between days and nights or how they manage the split between BtG and G4S as there is a mixture of both scheduled.

In regards to training all positions should be licensed as you are in a Security Role rather then a Stewarding Role. This means you will need to do your SIA license training as well as your job specific training.

In an ideal world you will be multi trained and able to do more then one role VSA, PSA, ECA etc

In regards to work in between the different events. There is build up and breakdown work but as of yet I am not sure how this is being scheduled.

Hope this helps a little
Reply 587
Original post by Mickimus
In regards to hours, it will depend on the site you are working. On the site I have it will be 12hr shifts but you have also been scheduled in for an extra half hour for briefings.

I am not sure how they a going to manage the split between days and nights or how they manage the split between BtG and G4S as there is a mixture of both scheduled.

In regards to training all positions should be licensed as you are in a Security Role rather then a Stewarding Role. This means you will need to do your SIA license training as well as your job specific training.

In an ideal world you will be multi trained and able to do more then one role VSA, PSA, ECA etc

In regards to work in between the different events. There is build up and breakdown work but as of yet I am not sure how this is being scheduled.

Hope this helps a little

Everything you say is helpful. You more helpful than G4S and Bridging the Gap. Theyve just kept us in the dark about everything.
Yikes, not really liking the sound of 12 hour shifts :s-smilie:. I know it's only a temporary job, but damn that sounds exhausting for the duration! And then, depending on where I'll be assigned to work, it can take me 1.5, maybe even 2 hours to get to certain places in London by public transport from my house, so any spare time I'd have leftover would probably only be just barely enough for me to sleep and not much more :eek:. OK, I realise how they weren't joking when they said that our lives will revolve around this job. I also remember my tutor saying something about bringing ships on to the Thames for accommodation, and I might actually consider that if it'd be a better option than commuting everyday :beard:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 589
Ive been doing this sort of work for around 7 yrs. Its very seasonal and can be very rewarding. I once worked the pit at V Fest with the Kings of Leon lead singer dripping sweat on me. Good in some ways, bad in others lol.

You get used to the hours and its in short bursts, a week here, a week there then 3 weeks off.

You can earn good money in the Summer if you find you like it. The Olympics however is a totally different beasty.

High profile and exhausting but the rewards will be great. In your 12 hr shift you will get breaks for lunch and tea breaks etc. You will need to be ready to be working for a good few hours though. Sturdy footwear, tape your feet up if you get blisters.

Plenty of water.

Dont bring bags etc to the venues as there is no guarantee you can keep your stuff anywhere and you do not want to risk things getting stolen.

After all that, just enjoy and I hope to see some of your there
Reply 590
Ive been doing this sort of work for around 7 yrs. Its very seasonal and can be very rewarding. I once worked the pit at V Fest with the Kings of Leon lead singer dripping sweat on me. Good in some ways, bad in others lol.

You get used to the hours and its in short bursts, a week here, a week there then 3 weeks off.

You can earn good money in the Summer if you find you like it. The Olympics however is a totally different beasty.

High profile and exhausting but the rewards will be great. In your 12 hr shift you will get breaks for lunch and tea breaks etc. You will need to be ready to be working for a good few hours though. Sturdy footwear, tape your feet up if you get blisters.

Plenty of water.

Dont bring bags etc to the venues as there is no guarantee you can keep your stuff anywhere and you do not want to risk things getting stolen.

After all that, just enjoy and I hope to see some of your there

Yea shoes is the most important, i currently have shoes which hate feet that i wear at my stewarding role at a footy club, can barely walk after and its only 5 hours, 12 would send me home in a weelchair lol

In your 12 hr shift you will get breaks for lunch and tea breaks etc.

I thought we just get an hour break for lunch and thats it

I hope not - Would be ideal to have lockers. To keep travel card, phones, etc in?
Reply 592
Original post by GuitarWizard
I thought we just get an hour break for lunch and thats it

Depends on your Manager/Supervisor, an hour for lunch is never going to happen I can tell you that now.

When I manage staff they get lots of small breaks 10 to 20 minutes and sometimes 1/2 hour if possible for lunch.

Please bear in mind this is how I do it, I do not like to see people stood around so will send people for breaks constantly as soon as time permits.

Original post by GuitarWizard
I hope not - Would be ideal to have lockers. To keep travel card, phones, etc in?

You will most definitely 100 million percent not be getting lockers. Depending on where you work you may be able to stash it somewhere but you risk it get stolen or blown-up as a suspicious object.

Do not bring anything with you you cant fit in your pockets is my advice for everyone.
what did everyone wear for the training ?
Reply 594
What are the likely start times? I hope it's not too early otherwise I'll have to pull out.
do we get breakfast?
Reply 596
Original post by Prodigy
What are the likely start times? I hope it's not too early otherwise I'll have to pull out.

0700 or 1900 average start time
Reply 597
Original post by Yellow_Watermelon
do we get breakfast?

Its my understanding one meal a day will be provided, this may change site to site
Original post by Yellow_Watermelon
do we get breakfast?

You should eat breakfast before you get there, as I don't think they'll provide any.
Reply 599
0700 or 1900 average start time

With briding the gap, do you reckon we can do night shifts? Id love to work from like 9pm to 9am or 8-8 etc...

Quick Reply

Latest