The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emcg22
Yeah was told I'd be picked up on Tuesday.
Have heard nothing more about transport or accommodation. Just received a confirmation email to tell me the itinerary of the 4 days.

Are you doing the X-ray training? what's the guard training like?

Yeah, I'm going down to London from Glasgow for X-ray training on Tuesday. I've received the itinerary as well. I phoned up G4S about the transportation/accommodation, the women said that we should receive an email either on Friday or Monday about it. Have you done the X-ray test yet at your training?

Was meant to be a guard/patrol team member, but they switched me to X-ray. Guard training is pretty easy, its just a presentation the whole day about procedures and stuff.
Reply 1161
Original post by Hemisphere
Yeah, I'm going down to London from Glasgow for X-ray training on Tuesday. I've received the itinerary as well. I phoned up G4S about the transportation/accommodation, the women said that we should receive an email either on Friday or Monday about it. Have you done the X-ray test yet at your training?

Was meant to be a guard/patrol team member, but they switched me to X-ray. Guard training is pretty easy, its just a presentation the whole day about procedures and stuff.

Yaaaay, I'm not alone!!
That's good to hear, I've been waiting on the phone for AGES now.
Yeah I did my SIA training 28th-31st May and did the test, do not know how it went, I guessed loads as other explosives!! how'd you find it?

I'm not sure what my role is as I was phoned on Monday about both!! hopefully it's both meaning I can work more. I really need the money!

Aaaah I see, sounds alright. is there a test on the guard stuff?
Reply 1162
Original post by emcg22
How long after role specific training do you get paid???

Original post by tkm18
You're entitled to pay after doing 5 shifts at the events, dunno when they're paid but.

I was told after 5 shifts at the events too but maybe it's 5 shifts of training? Because I've already been paid for two training days, the PSA and rapiscan training *waheyyy* although I did get taxed :angry:
Reply 1163
Original post by Major93
I was told after 5 shifts at the events too but maybe it's 5 shifts of training? Because I've already been paid for two training days, the PSA and rapiscan training *waheyyy* although I did get taxed :angry:

its 5 days of events to get paid for SIA training.
how long after your PSA and rapiscan did you get paid?
that's annoying :angry:
Reply 1164
Original post by Tote Katze
Is anyone else having a problem of wait on hold for about 10 minutes then getting a constant dial with no one answering the phone when they call 0203 535 2012?

They answer, eventually. Probably having "fun" in the office keeping the phone ringing and us waiting.
Reply 1165
Original post by Major93
Most people came casual, jeans etc, some came in shirt & tie, so up to you really.

Cheers!
Original post by emcg22
Yaaaay, I'm not alone!!
That's good to hear, I've been waiting on the phone for AGES now.
Yeah I did my SIA training 28th-31st May and did the test, do not know how it went, I guessed loads as other explosives!! how'd you find it?

I'm not sure what my role is as I was phoned on Monday about both!! hopefully it's both meaning I can work more. I really need the money!

Aaaah I see, sounds alright. is there a test on the guard stuff?

I guessed loads for the x-ray test too, thought it was pretty hard. If their contacting us for x-ray training then we must have done pretty good in it, maybe we're naturals :smile:.

Nope their is no test on the guard stuff, its just meant to be a introduction/overview. You get all the real details once you are deployed at your venue.

Only worry is that the itinerary for the training goes on about successful completion of the training. However, hopefully if we're not suited to x-ray we can go back to our guard roles.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tooosh
They answer, eventually. Probably having "fun" in the office keeping the phone ringing and us waiting.

Meh, I gave up after 10 minutes of ringing on two occasions. Sent them an email anyway so not really too important but it would have been nice to tell them over the phone that I wont be there just to make sure they don't screw anything up which will most definitely happen.
Original post by Tote Katze
Is anyone else having a problem of wait on hold for about 10 minutes then getting a constant dial with no one answering the phone when they call 0203 535 2012?

Who you trying to get through to? I called training (option 2) and was only third in the queue and got through within a few minutes.
Reply 1169
Original post by Hemisphere
I guessed loads for the x-ray test too, thought it was pretty hard. If their contacting us for x-ray training then we must have done pretty good in it, maybe we're naturals :smile:.

Nope their is no test on the guard stuff, its just meant to be a introduction/overview. You get all the real details once you are deployed at your venue.

Only worry is that the itinerary for the training goes on about successful completion of the training. However, hopefully if we're not suited to x-ray we can go back to our guard roles.

Hahaha.. yeah it was quite hard!! i'm sure we'll be grand :smile:
aah cool :smile:

Please let me know if you hear anything about travel/accommodation :smile:
Original post by emcg22
Hahaha.. yeah it was quite hard!! i'm sure we'll be grand :smile:
aah cool :smile:

Please let me know if you hear anything about travel/accommodation :smile:

No problem, if I hear anything I'll drop you a message.
Reply 1171
I have just recieved the survey email today earlier, filled it out, whats the next step, wait for their call regarding schedule/uniform/accreditation?
Original post by niyaz93
I have just recieved the survey email today earlier, filled it out, whats the next step, wait for their call regarding schedule/uniform/accreditation?

Iv had it 3 times now and still nothing about uniform or accreditation :-(
Reply 1173
Original post by emcg22
its 5 days of events to get paid for SIA training.
how long after your PSA and rapiscan did you get paid?
that's annoying :angry:

Ohh I see, can't wait for the SIA pay to come through :grin:

And about 2 months? I dont think you'll be taxed if you're in full time education though.
Reply 1174
I was talking to someone today, Thou Shalt Not be Named and not from G4S.

And they had a valid point, Most people wanting to work only want to during the olympic games but for most of us waiting around will be ready in time for the Para olympics.
To G4S they are not concerned with when you be ready too deploy, evan if its 1 day before the end of the games. Their goal is too get x amount of staff thorough training and accreditation and work a shift. Then they charge the client...

Sounds rubbish but anything you can get is a bonus.

Think about how much skills and money you save in training????

SIA Training = 200
SIA Badge = 220
Job Role training = 150+
Uniform = 100+
Temp oyster Card.
Paid from training = 600+
LOCOG accreditation = Priceless :smile:

Not bad if you only work 1 shift.....
Reply 1175
According to the union rep that we got, they are putting pressure on G4S to ensure you get the 5 shifts to get you the sia stuff paid for.
has anyone turned down or been able to change their job role?
i've done training for PSA screener (body search) but don't really want to do it.
i would like to change role but don't want to end up with nothing after all this waiting!
Reply 1177
Original post by maddysue
has anyone turned down or been able to change their job role?
i've done training for PSA screener (body search) but don't really want to do it.
i would like to change role but don't want to end up with nothing after all this waiting!

I got moved from xray cos I'm colour blind, but I'm must have passed the test as they had me booked in for training.

Was told I was on the patrol team then,still waiting right enough, but I asked to be kept in consideration for the CCTV operator role.

They told me they couldn't guarantee a switch and to stuck with what I was offered, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting a switch.
Am the same down for PSA screener but would prefer patrol guard. I sent them email asking if there anyway I can change roles. Doubt it will happen, was speaking to a guy on my PSA course who said he kept trying change to patrol but wasn't aloud.
Its been a month and a half since my interview and I am still in vetting and checks I have had one phone call wtf is going on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending