The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niki_girl
How was it? I've never even been to a gym, except to use the swimming pool :ninja: did you use the machines and stuff? They look cool :smile:

*fails at engaging in conversation involving exercise*

:lol: I took the plunge and signed up last week :eek: I had my first induction today with a PT resembling a model :emo: Ended up doing 30 minutes HIIT - fast walking, steady jogging - on the treadmill and almost DIED halfway through with stitches. I wasn't even being stupid and running too fast. I just kept thinking about the lactic acid- clearly paid attention in biology lessons :awesome: So for five minutes I switched the jogging to even faster walking and then gradually made it into a light jog again. I wanted to DIE but I forced myself through it because I'm paying for it, and I knew Sven would laugh at me. Or worse, pity me. :emo:

Then I went to Waterstone's, as you may have seen on Facebook :tongue:

I learn how to use the weights on Wednesday and I said yes to the "Thighs, Bums and Tums" class with my friend that same morning :lolwut:

why am I doing this :emo:
Original post by such_a_lady

x

This is exactly how I imagine how my gym experience would be! :tongue: When I was forced to do PE at school, all I could ever think about was lactic acid too, for some reason it made the burning sensation even worse because in my imagination I literally pictured corrosive acid searing through my muscles...

Money is great for motivation - it's like if I pay for food I make so much more effort to finish it...

I recommend "One Day" btw, my sister has read it and says it's fantastic!

You said yes to the gym because by the start of uni you're going to be a fitness queen, and you'll be able to handle any physical activity/ endurance test that life throws at you since you won't be able to have a car! (Do you actually drive anyway?)

Although there's always public transport :redface:...
Original post by Niki_girl
I recommend "One Day" btw, my sister has read it and says it's fantastic!
I enjoyed it (plus the author is the second most noteworthy alumni of my sixth form college, after Colin Firth of course...)
Original post by fluteflute
I enjoyed it (plus the author is the second most noteworthy alumni of my sixth form college, after Colin Firth of course...)

Wow! :eek: I don't think anyone famous has been to my school...

I'll have to be the first :colone:

By the way, my best friend and I went out for lunch at Zizzi's on Tuesday and on the table in front of us were two male students. One of them looked EXACTLY like you: hair, glasses, everything. I couldn't stop staring and then he got really freaked out and assumed I was attracted to him :tongue:
By the way, my best friend and I went out for lunch at Zizzi's on Tuesday and on the table in front of us were two male students. One of them looked EXACTLY like you: hair, glasses, everything. I couldn't stop staring and then he got really freaked out and assumed I was attracted to him :tongue:
Ha! Given that I've never previously heard of Zizzi's (and was out of the country!) we can be confident it wasn't me. Next time, we really need a photo :wink: Although that may not have helped the situation....
I'm just gonna take it easy since I'm in China and wait for track as my exam officer will probably forget to email me my results. Hopefully it works in China :L
:lol: I just kept thinking about the lactic acid- clearly paid attention in biology lessons :awesome: So for five minutes I switched the jogging to even faster walking and then gradually made it into a light jog again. I wanted to DIE but I forced myself through it

Lol I can never stop thinking about lactic acid! I've convinced myself that if I didn't take biology I wouldve forgotten about it and as a result be much fitter right now :colondollar:
It'll make for interesting reading when we find out who gets offers :tongue:

Are they that bad?! I haven't looked yet, but have got a deferred place, so now worried I'll be stuck with a bunch of craaaazy overly-clued-up year 12s (they will always be year12s to me:smile:
Reply 2549
Guess who has no reading list.. as in there is no offical list for me to be given, parteh time. ::tong:
Original post by Frey
Guess who has no reading list.. as in there is no offical list for me to be given, parteh time. ::tong:

I envy you. :fuhrer: :mad:
Original post by KingMessi

Oh go read Fifty Shades, that'll impress the tutors :wink:

Original post by TheNabilaQ
Lol I can never stop thinking about lactic acid! I've convinced myself that if I didn't take biology I wouldve forgotten about it and as a result be much fitter right now :colondollar:

:laugh: argh I couldn't walk properly yesterday. Does magnesium help alleviate muscle cramps? :frown: Going again this morning, WHY
Oh go read Fifty Shades, that'll impress the tutors :wink:

:laugh: argh I couldn't walk properly yesterday. Does magnesium help alleviate muscle cramps? :frown: Going again this morning, WHY

I saw it in my mother's room today...I was like...:erm: :cry2: :facepalm: :facepalm2: :mad: :banghead: :fuhrer: :lolwut: :rofl: :getmecoat: :shoot:

I think she stole it off my (seventeen year-old) sister. :erm: :cry2: :facepalm: :facepalm2: :mad: :banghead: :fuhrer: :lolwut: :rofl: :getmecoat: :shoot:

As I prefer my books to use the word 'gaze' less than 157 times and I don't like inner goddesses, I'm reading 'Jude the Obscure'. Hardy would never use a superfluous comma.

(Oh, and as for your magnesium issues, no idea. Going for a light recovery jog after hard exercise is often advisable, though).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2553

:sexface:
Original post by Frey

Ahem.

West's translation of the Zoroastrian hymns, the penguin Vedas (though soon to be made redundant by Jameson) and Briant's/Cookes history of the Persian Empire if you can get it for free. Or Berossos, for the East.

Greek = the Iliad and Odyssey (Lattimore translation most usable) and some of Aristophanes. Davies' book on Athenian democracy is also useful for beginners.

Plus your language work.

Oh no what happened. :p:E
Reply 2555
Original post by The Lyceum
Ahem.

West's translation of the Zoroastrian hymns, the penguin Vedas (though soon to be made redundant by Jameson) and Briant's/Cookes history of the Persian Empire if you can get it for free. Or Berossos, for the East.

Greek = the Iliad and Odyssey (Lattimore translation most usable) and some of Aristophanes. Davies' book on Athenian democracy is also useful for beginners.

Plus your language work.

Oh no what happened. :p:E

Ahem.. I said 'offical' list.. :colondollar:

I take it all back now :frown:

I was going to do some reading anyway, or I'd go bat**** crazy :excited:

p.s thanks for the reccomendations.. :grumble: :P
(edited 11 years ago)

Don't you ':sexface:' me...:fuhrer:
Reply 2557
Don't you ':sexface:' me...:fuhrer:

I will :sexface: you all I want.
Reply 2558
I remember last summer I was reading informative and interesting science, philosophy and history books in preparation for applying to Oxford and other such bull****. This summer I've ploughed thru all five thousand ****ing pages (so far) of A Song Of Ice And Fire... how the mighty have fallen...
Reply 2559
This thread has died! :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending