The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3120
Original post by DCDude
Cambridge & Oxford have slightly different systems. Oxford has more hurdles to get to the interviews, but takes more of the people who are interviewed (they seem to interview approx. 3x as many people as are offered places). Some people say that the playing field is level once everybody arrives for interviews, but that is chatter by people watching the process- not from the tutors! Still, I think that the interviews tip the balance: it is the chance for you to show, and the tutors to see, what you would be like as a student. The interviews are obviously scary- there's a lot riding on them- but if the tutorial process suits you are likely to find that you find that you enjoy at least some of it. A tutor once told us (at a summer social event, not knowing that there was a future applicant in the group) a story about an absolutely brilliant candidate- amazing marks, amazing PS, amazing recs, amazing everything. After the interview, once the candidate had left the room, the two interviewers showed each other their notes- and both had written "unteachable" in big letters, b/c the person was so certain that they knew everything. The candidate did not get an offer.

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Thanks. That story was quite interesting. I wonder why the tutors thought he was unteachable if had such 'amazing' credentials on paper; perhaps he came across as arrogant.

I can see why people believe that there is a level playing field once at interview because I know of a few people who have got into Oxford with Bs at AS. However, this would be extremely unlikely at Cambridge. What do you think?
Reply 3121
Original post by Az_016
Thanks. That story was quite interesting. I wonder why the tutors thought he was unteachable if had such 'amazing' credentials on paper; perhaps he came across as arrogant.

I can see why people believe that there is a level playing field once at interview because I know of a few people who have got into Oxford with Bs at AS. However, this would be extremely unlikely at Cambridge. What do you think?

I would guess that they really mean it when they say that they are looking for potential and enthusiasm for the subject- and for students who will learn well in a tutorial system. The person who was seen as 'unteachable' obviously had a lot of ability, but apparently did not come across as somebody who was receptive to a tutorial teaching style (arrogant and a know-it-all was the impression from the story). Similarly, the people you know who got into Oxford with Bs at AS clearly had enough other pieces to get to interview- and then delivered. IMO it is great to hear those stories- it suggests that they really are looking at the student as a whole not just ticking boxes.

I know a lot less about Cambridge, but I do know somebody who just went through it. Got an interview, got pretty tough conditions, made the academic conditions, but did not make the marks on the subject exam given by Cambridge (which was in June, not at interviews), so lost the place. Brutal.

Assume you saw this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work
Original post by Az_016
I can see why people believe that there is a level playing field once at interview because I know of a few people who have got into Oxford with Bs at AS.
I think it would be very unfair to say that everything before interview is ignored. But someone is invited to interview, of course they have a chance of getting in - if they didn't, then it would be a waste of everyone's time and money.
What did all EnM, what did you get for GCSEs and A Levels.. And what did you do for your work ep?? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending