The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by TheatreLovely
I can't find one either but I have no idea how to start one. And I don't think you would be the only person out of all the offer holders who turned up to one of the weekends. :tongue:

Yeah I'm waiting for someone else to make one and then I'll join it... And haha I meant if I was the only English applicant, obviously there'll be other people there, I just haven't come across anyone else for English yet...
Original post by jamestwob
I missed two coursework deadlines while I was away at oxford, so I'm screwing right now. Plus my Jan resit!! Ahh!

Don't worry - I've missed three :frown: And yet somehow I can't bring myself to care....... I'm still too happy!!
Original post by Cassius
The English interview I had was absolutely appalling. Even analysing it now that I've got a place, I can't see a single reason why they would have picked me based on my interview! There were four tutors, and me, which was very intimidating, and I hadn't read a single text that they asked me about (this wasn’t even them being mean - it was all texts I either said I’d read or was studying... Just hadn’t read them... Interview faux pas right there). They asked me to analyse a poem, but didn’t give me the poem; I was expected to remember it off the top of my head. All in all I felt it had gone pretty awfully, and *still* can’t see why they want me!

You hadn't read the texts?! :eek: There was no way I could have bluffed in my interview. The tutors asked really specific questions like "What do you think of the opening of this play?" and "What does this character say to that character in Act I Scene I? What do you think he means?"
Original post by la-dauphine
You hadn't read the texts?! :eek: There was no way I could have bluffed in my interview. The tutors asked really specific questions like "What do you think of the opening of this play?" and "What does this character say to that character in Act I Scene I? What do you think he means?"

Yeah this was the same in my Classics interviews. If I hadn't read them I would have been screwed.
Reply 124

Yeah... it was a bad move. I had talked about Russian literature in my PS, and *very* casually mentioned Pushkin's Eugene Onegin (which I read a few pages of for reference, a few years ago). The interviewer then proceeded to ask me who translated my edition, and various other intricacies which I had no answer to...

The nadir of the interview was probably when one of the interviewers asked me what I was studying at A2, and picked up on The Tempest. Needless to say, it wasn't very impressive when I couldn't answer the fairly simple question 'What genre of play is The Tempest?', having not read the ending.

So yes, that was why I was so utterly shocked at being offered a place :eek:
Original post by Kalliope
:ninja: Clearly I'm not already doing that... at least I have Etoile to keep me company! Anyway, now I have been found out - congrats to everyone :grin:

Also special congrats to you guys who I may have seen around before and been rooting for: :colondollar:

Aw thank you! That's so sweet :hugs:
Original post by Cassius
Yeah... it was a bad move. I had talked about Russian literature in my PS, and *very* casually mentioned Pushkin's Eugene Onegin (which I read a few pages of for reference, a few years ago). The interviewer then proceeded to ask me who translated my edition, and various other intricacies which I had no answer to...

The nadir of the interview was probably when one of the interviewers asked me what I was studying at A2, and picked up on The Tempest. Needless to say, it wasn't very impressive when I couldn't answer the fairly simple question 'What genre of play is The Tempest?', having not read the ending.

So yes, that was why I was so utterly shocked at being offered a place :eek:

Well done anyway, they must have seen potential, which is the important thing :smile: Which college? Did you bluff the answers or just say "I don't know?" :P
Original post by Kalliope
:ninja: Clearly I'm not already doing that... at least I have Etoile to keep me company! Anyway, now I have been found out - congrats to everyone :grin:

Also special congrats to you guys who I may have seen around before and been rooting for: :colondollar:

Awh thanks! <3 :biggrin:
Anyone for history and politics at Jesus?
Reply 129
Well done anyway, they must have seen potential, which is the important thing :smile: Which college? Did you bluff the answers or just say "I don't know?" :P

Jesus College :smile: I didn't originally apply there, so was very surprised when they picked me. For the question about the editor, I just had to say that I didn't know, as there was no way I could make that up. For the questions about the Tempest, I just sort of hedged the questions/said whatever I could remember about the few scenes that we've actually studied in class. I thought there was no way I'd get a place at Jesus after that interview.
Original post by Cassius
Jesus College :smile: I didn't originally apply there, so was very surprised when they picked me. For the question about the editor, I just had to say that I didn't know, as there was no way I could make that up. For the questions about the Tempest, I just sort of hedged the questions/said whatever I could remember about the few scenes that we've actually studied in class. I thought there was no way I'd get a place at Jesus after that interview.

I'm at Exeter, so just across the road! I couldn't remember specifics in my interview but I think they put it down to nerves :smile: Also, did you say something about not being able to take the poem into the interview with you?! That's so harsh!
Reply 131
I just got offer for Econ and Management....THIS IS HOW I FEEL!!!!!

Reply 132
I'm at Exeter, so just across the road! I couldn't remember specifics in my interview but I think they put it down to nerves :smile: Also, did you say something about not being able to take the poem into the interview with you?! That's so harsh!

I'll pop over and say hi then! Congrats on getting a place btw :smile:

And no, I was allowed to take the poem into the interview, and that analysis was fine. Later on in the interview however, I was asked whether I was familiar with the Donne sonnet 'Batter My Heart'. I was like 'Yeah... I've read it...', to which the examiner asked me to analyse the language in the poem... without giving me the poem. I could remember the first line, and then after that just had to give up because - obviously - I hadn't memorised the poem off by heart. Such a horrible interview :s-smilie:
Reply 133
Original post by MyselfEtAl
Is there a human sciences FB group anywhere? :confused:

Not that I am aware of. I'm Human Sciences also :smile: What college are you?
Original post by AGM
Not that I am aware of. I'm Human Sciences also :smile: What college are you?

St Hugh's - how about you? :smile:
Original post by Cassius
I'll pop over and say hi then! Congrats on getting a place btw :smile:

And no, I was allowed to take the poem into the interview, and that analysis was fine. Later on in the interview however, I was asked whether I was familiar with the Donne sonnet 'Batter My Heart'. I was like 'Yeah... I've read it...', to which the examiner asked me to analyse the language in the poem... without giving me the poem. I could remember the first line, and then after that just had to give up because - obviously - I hadn't memorised the poem off by heart. Such a horrible interview :s-smilie:

Awh, well at least it's in the past - and something must have gone right! I was only asked about Shakespeare in my first interview, and I was allowed to pick the text for discussion in the second interview, so it wasn't too bad :smile: Yes, I'm sure we'll end up meeting in real life at some point, haha!
Original post by such_a_lady
I emailed them, they said late January at Magd :frown:

Oh really? I may do the same...I guess that it doesn't really matter, but I'm still anxious that something's going to go wrong...:colondollar:

Spoiler

For those St. Edmund's Hall Freshers 2012: Join us. :ninja:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157511194356300/
Reply 138
I got in for Law II! Ooooooooooooooh my god! (:
Anyone else for St Hilda's? ((:
I can't see any 2012 LMH'ers anywhere :frown:((

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending