The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingMessi
Ahaha, Google Translation, why hast thou abandoned me...! :frown:

I look forward to my impending destruction...:erm:

I would go for something like "ut dii tibi semper faveant" (may the Gods always favour you). More idiomatic :pierre:

:colone:
Reply 1461
Original post by medbh4805
I would go for something like "ut dii tibi semper faveant" (may the Gods always favour you). More idiomatic :pierre:

What about the Parcae? May the Fates not **** all over you...
Reply 1462

stick it to him hons.. he was being mean about classics a second ago :unimpressed:
Original post by Frey
yes... and we know WHO that would cause trouble for... *bitchyface*

'I LIKE ENGLSH LIT. LOLZ!!!!'? :wink:

THINK OF ALL THE CHEESE I COULD HAVE BOUGHT WITH 27 GRAND..FUUUUUUUU

Who would what cause trouble for? I seem to have lost the thread of this somewhat...:confused:

No, as a promoter of correct grammar I wouldn't have 'LOLZ!!!' anywhere near my tombstone. :pierre: I'd prefer something more imaginative. Keep trying, though. :smile:

I COULD'VE BOUGHT THOUSANDS OF TRACKER BARS...THOUSANDS...:mad:

Original post by Frey
stick it to him hons.. he was being mean about classics a second ago :unimpressed:

Oh, so now I'm being ganged up on? :cry2: Where are my Literature allies? :frown:

Fair enough, I very much like that. :top2: I was trying to make a Hunger Games reference which would've worked in the context, but didn't, and now just seems silly of me. :erm: That'll teach me to rely on Google Translate...:facepalm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1464
On the topic of Hunger Games, I came across this on the Oxford tag on Tumblr...

http://www.cherwell.org/news/uk/2012/05/06/student-signs-six-figure-book-deal

A second year student at st annes got a three book deal for her 'urban fantasy' novel. Apparently she's using it to pay off her rent...

Now that has inspired me to dig out all my old failed steampunk novels.....
Reply 1465
Who would what cause trouble for? I seem to have lost the thread of this somewhat...:confused:

me too.... :frown:

No, as a promoter of correct grammar I wouldn't have 'LOLZ!!!' anywhere near my tombstone. :pierre: I'd prefer something more imaginative. Keep trying, though. :smile:

okay.. *cough*

'KingMessi, liked to wear his little dressy, his trousers a little lessy, cause he fancies Bessy :teehee: '

It'll be £2000 for the above piece of divine art. :pierre:

Oh, so now I'm being ganged up on? :cry2: Where are my Literature allies? :frown:

you're a big strong literature boy, not sensitive like us Classics types..
Reply 1466
Original post by candide
On the topic of Hunger Games, I came across this on the Oxford tag on Tumblr...

http://www.cherwell.org/news/uk/2012/05/06/student-signs-six-figure-book-deal

A second year student at st annes got a three book deal for her 'urban fantasy' novel. Apparently she's using it to pay off her rent...

Now that has inspired me to dig out all my old failed steampunk novels.....

wow.
Original post by Frey
me too.... :frown:

okay.. *cough*

'KingMessi, liked to wear his little dressy, his trousers a little lessy, cause he fancies Bessy :teehee: '

It'll be £2000 for the above piece of divine art. :pierre:

you're a big strong literature boy, not sensitive like us Classics types..

Well, if you regain said thread, do let me know...:tongue:

Hmm...:pierre:

I disapprove. This is going on your list of aberrations...:angry:

'Frey, much to her dismay, couldn't write poetr-ay, up to the standard for the tombstone of Mess-ay...so now she can't return, to the peace for which she'll yearn...'

Oh, you're charging? Is that to pay for your uni fees? Because there are better ways to do that...

Hmm, not sure how to take that last one...
Reply 1468
Original post by Frey
wow.

The most awesome bit is that she had her first (200,000 word) novel rejected ten times, and still had the balls to go and write another (better) one!
Original post by candide
What about the Parcae? May the Fates not **** all over you...

Possibly, but referring to the Gods favouring someone is a fairly common formula in Latin (afaik)

Original post by Frey

:fuhrer:
Reply 1470
Original post by candide
The most awesome bit is that she had her first (200,000 word) novel rejected ten times, and still had the balls to go and write another (better) one!

I know, it's so inspiring :h:

It's definitely true about the the whole 'keep trying and you'll get there' attitude. Not easy, but when it pays off, it pays off.:colondollar:

Fair enough, I very much like that. :top2: I was trying to make a Hunger Games reference which would've worked in the context, but didn't, and now just seems silly of me. :erm: That'll teach me to rely on Google Translate...:facepalm:

Yeah, stay away from Google translate when looking for Latin translations :sadnod:

Reminds me of this: http://waywardclassics.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/latin-tattoos.html

:facepalm2:
Reply 1472
Well, if you regain said thread, do let me know...:tongue:

Hmm...:pierre:

I disapprove. This is going on your list of aberrations...:angry:

'Frey, much to her dismay, couldn't write poetr-ay, up to the standard for the tombstone of Mess-ay...so now she can't return, to the peace for which she'll yearn...'

Oh, you're charging? Is that to pay for your uni fees? Because there are better ways to do that...

Hmm, not sure how to take that last one...

I get my own list, oh my :colondollar:

'Messi is bum, he is really dumb :teehee:'

I'mma ARTTTIST, I must make a living, sire!
Reply 1473
Possibly, but referring to the Gods favouring someone is a fairly common formula in Latin (afaik)

I must bow to your greater knowledge of how to say good luck in Latin. :P

Original post by Frey
I know, it's so inspiring :h:

It's definitely true about the the whole 'keep trying and you'll get there' attitude. Not easy, but when it pays off, it pays off.:colondollar:

They do say everybody has a book in them... waiting to be written ...

*edit* ugh that sounds so sickeningly cheesy...
(edited 11 years ago)

All these The Hunger Games references!

Oh yes :sexface:
Reply 1475
Original post by candide
I must bow to your greater knowledge of how to say good luck in Latin. :P

They do say everybody has a book in them... waiting to be written ...

*edit* ugh that sounds so sickeningly cheesy...

yes. the dots didn't make it any better either teehee (cute, but super chesey)

My book would be about....I dunno actually, something weird and mildly inappropriate probably...:colondollar:

What so you think your inner book would be? :P

MEDBH, MESSI, THIS QUESTION IS DIRECTED AT YOU ALSO :unimpressed:
Original post by Frey
I get my own list, oh my :colondollar:

'Messi is bum, he is really dumb :teehee:'

I'mma ARTTTIST, I must make a living, sire!

Oh, this is not a good thing. It's a bad thing. In two hours I've lost count of your misdemeanours...:mad:

* 'a bum'. Honestly...:pierre:

'Frey should remember, she's just a Junior Member; she shouldn't try to, mess with a TSR Idol'. :colone:

Well, given your past two attempts, I'd consider alternatives...

Yeah, stay away from Google translate when looking for Latin translations :sadnod:

Reminds me of this: http://waywardclassics.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/latin-tattoos.html

:facepalm2:

I'll remember that in future.

:lol: That's just...I don't even...:facepalm:
Bit off-topic, but I felt like sharing these vids with someone.

[video="youtube;W2SVCw19fTQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2SVCw19fTQ[/video]

Hell Yeah, Oxford's flipping right :smile:

[video="youtube;0KCWqnldEag"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCWqnldEag[/video]

[video="youtube;VvxlOet_DD4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvxlOet_DD4&feature=related[/video]

[video="youtube;WxRZRDYt-sA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxRZRDYt-sA[/video]

****** in Oxford; that shizz crayz.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by manic_fuzz
All these The Hunger Games references!

Oh yes :sexface:

I'm glad someone got them. :woo: Frey, are you learning from this? :pierre:

Original post by Frey
yes. the dots didn't make it any better either teehee (cute, but super chesey)

My book would be about....I dunno actually, something weird and mildly inappropriate probably...:colondollar:

What so you think your inner book would be? :P

MEDBH, MESSI, THIS QUESTION IS DIRECTED AT YOU ALSO :unimpressed:

Hmm, I already am writing a book (my third attempt), but if I had an inner one it'd be something about a misunderstood megalomaniac...:erm: (I jest, of course).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1479
Oh, this is not a good thing. It's a bad thing. In two hours I've lost count of your misdemeanours...:mad:

* 'a bum'. Honestly...:pierre:

'Frey should remember, she's just a Junior Member; she shouldn't try to, mess with a TSR Idol'. :colone:

Well, given your past two attempts, I'd consider alternatives...

I'll remember that in future.

:lol: That's just...I don't even...:facepalm:

:colondollar: not my fault.

'a bum-head', is that any better?

oh ok... I see :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending