The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by KingMessi

Oh, they do? I thought that they were just for international students? I doubt I'd qualify for any bursary. Yes, it is extremely nice to not feel any added pressure (i.e. exams on top of having to get into Oxford). Last year I got five rejections and didn't want anything through Extra so I didn't really have any pressure to meet grades. It's been great to have had the time to read...

Oh, that's cool - that sounds really interesting. Well, British summers are famed for being capricious, so...bring an umbrella. :tongue: No, I must say I've never been to any...:erm: I nearly won a chance to recite poetry at Latitude, but...there we go...

No, they're actually really good:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/student_funding/english_students.html
It's all done automatically as they get your student finance information, so you don't have to worry about sending off forms and things :smile:

Wow, that's impressive. Do you write poetry then? I'm abysmal. Analysing, yes, writing, no ...
You should definitely go to a few, if you've got the time/money! Festivals are so great. I'm hoping that since the spring has been lousy, summer has to be fair.

Original post by doloroushazy
ahh you're going to boomtown?! jealoouss i really wanna go, some of my friends went last year and it looked mint but i dont have anyone to go with haha. i'm going to leeds also!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it, a couple of my friends went last year too and really liked it. Some of my favorite bands are playing - have you heard of The Skints?
Why don't you steward as well? then you meet people through that and get the tickets for free :biggrin:
Original post by Frey
noooooo.. :cry:

Well, don't send me on silly errands, then. :smile:

Original post by Frey
Oh yeah, I'm fine now, thanks :tongue: In winter it's more difficult because there's not so much fresh fruit/veg, but in summer they have lots of tastiness....but also they offer you lots off alcohol. Everyone in Georgia makes their own wine (some of the nicest wine I've had has been in Georgia) and also vodka stuff....from ANYTHING that has sugar in it: honey, apricot, peach, kiwi.... you name it :s-smilie: and their vodka is pretty ****ing explosive..

Glad to hear so. I suppose it's hard to grow a lot of produce in winter in Georgia? I suppose that motivates people to hoard all of their earnings for the summer - a lesson people in Britain could learn. We are lucky that we (pretty much always) have fresh produce, etc...oh, you must have loved that?! :tongue: I can't comment on vodka, but I'm glad you enjoyed some of the national cuisine. :smile:

Original post by Frey
People whinge far far too much about Britain, it makes me very angry sometimes :angry: Some of the stories you hear from Georgians are horrible, things have only calmed down in the past 5 years or so....there was one boy who told me his great gran had two of her sons shot by order of the Soviet gov. and they sent her a letter requesting she pay for the bullets they used...

Yes, they do. I've spent so many bus journeys listening to people detail every small trifle ruining their life, and I just sit there thinking #firstworldproblems. :tongue: When one compares what we have to deal with to things like that, a certain amount of perspective is needed. That's dreadful. :frown: What had they done to deserve that?!

Original post by Frey
Also my boyfriend's dad is a boxer, and apparently when he was little, the police were pretty much gangsters and would tell you to give them money or they would plant drugs on you and arrest you..but his dad beat the crap out of three of them when they tried it on him on the way to school haha.

Good for him...another huge issue of mine is abuse of power. :top2:

Original post by Frey

well they understand if you don't do it, you have to wear a headscarf when you go in a church though etc

Hmm, that's good - given what I'd heard from you thus far regarding Georgia, I was expecting some fairly heavy repercussions for not doing so...

Original post by Frey

I thought as a English Lit. student, you'd know that was a figure of speech... :unimpressed:

y i no have ur passport..... (:ninja:)

I went to Georgia at first for archaelogical digs, but now for friends/fun :h:

I did, but I was being facetious. How did you not get that? :tongue: :holmes:

Because I don't wish for you to have my passport...:ninja:

Oh, okay, cool - and you enjoyed yourself? When will you be there next?
Original post by zog
No, they're actually really good:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/student_funding/english_students.html
It's all done automatically as they get your student finance information, so you don't have to worry about sending off forms and things :smile:

Wow, that's impressive. Do you write poetry then? I'm abysmal. Analysing, yes, writing, no ...
You should definitely go to a few, if you've got the time/money! Festivals are so great. I'm hoping that since the spring has been lousy, summer has to be fair.

I don't think I'm eligible. :erm: It's not an issue, I'll be fine - but thank you for the link.

Hmm, I attempt to write poetry, with 'attempt' being the operative word. Hopefully I'll improve - I'll have to if I'm going to fulfil my ambitions...I don't think I have the money. :erm: All of my work savings are being hoarded for university expenses - but there we go...
Reply 1583
Original post by candide
Yeah, i would use 'craobh daraich' or 'darach' for an oak. ('dair' is fairly archaic). That is so cool. I think I might be right in saying a Sanskritter like you would agree with my view that William Jones made a conceptual and indeed scientific discovery on par with the likes of Darwin?

Ohh, I love Proto and just plain Indo-European, even if some of the reconstructions are somewhat dubious.. one of my favourite claims is the way it (apparently) sheds light on the way these people lived. So I came across some people saying that Indo-European has no root words for agricultural tools, but it does for horse-related stuff, therefore the Indo Europeans were the nomads who domestricated the horse. (On the other hand, Cavalii-Sorza the famous geneticist was big on the idea that it was the Indo Europeans who in fact introduced agriculture to Europe!).

Oh of course! Sanskrit needs to be given a lot more attention (i.e put on the same level as Greek and Latin :fuhrer:smile:

Haha, it's one of the reasons I'm put off it being my main area of study; it's all just good guessing really :colondollar: Some things are obviously related, but sometimes it's a serious serious random guess. I think getting semantics right is the most difficult thing with words. And you example proves the point too :redface:

yay! a fellow Indo-Europeanphile! :hugs:
Reply 1584
Well, don't send me on silly errands, then. :smile:

:colondollar:

Glad to hear so. I suppose it's hard to grow a lot of produce in winter in Georgia? I suppose that motivates people to hoard all of their earnings for the summer - a lesson people in Britain could learn. We are lucky that we (pretty much always) have fresh produce, etc...oh, you must have loved that?! :tongue: I can't comment on vodka, but I'm glad you enjoyed some of the national cuisine. :smile:

It has a very varied climate; some parts are almost arid and desert-like and stuff nearer the west is near tropical. The fruit and veg... :drool: IT WAS ACTUALLY RIPE WHEN IT WAS PICKED, OH MY GAWDDD!

Yes, they do. I've spent so many bus journeys listening to people detail every small trifle ruining their life, and I just sit there thinking #firstworldproblems. :tongue: When one compares what we have to deal with to things like that, a certain amount of perspective is needed. That's dreadful. :frown: What had they done to deserve that?!

I think they liked Trotsky a bit too much..

Good for him...another huge issue of mine is abuse of power. :top2:

same. Bad stuff:

1. people in groups
2. when people don't know other people.

Hmm, that's good - given what I'd heard from you thus far regarding Georgia, I was expecting some fairly heavy repercussions for not doing so...

they are a lovely bunch of people, really so generous and kindhearted. :redface:

I did, but I was being facetious. How did you not get that? :tongue: :holmes:

Because I don't wish for you to have my passport...:ninja:

Oh, okay, cool - and you enjoyed yourself? When will you be there next?

no, I'd say you were being A BUM :unimpressed:

i have ur passport. :ninja:

yessss. 2 and a half weeks :colondollar:
Reply 1585
Original post by Frey
Oh of course! Sanskrit needs to be given a lot more attention (i.e put on the same level as Greek and Latin :fuhrer:smile:

Haha, it's one of the reasons I'm put off it being my main area of study; it's all just good guessing really :colondollar: Some things are obviously related, but sometimes it's a serious serious random guess. I think getting semantics right is the most difficult thing with words. And you example proves the point too :redface:

yay! a fellow Indo-Europeanphile! :hugs:

Yeah, my view is taht there is a sad limitation to the usefulness of historical linguistics. We can do a nice comparative analysis and decide that the indo european word for spear is 'gar' (which I've come across but dunno how true this claim is).

But what do we mean when we say that? We mean we've found words in Sanskrit, Greek, Albanian, Gaelic, etc etc (or at least in their ancestral languages) that are all to do with weapons and share a common root 'gar.'

It doesn't tell us what 'gar' meant in the context of indo-european society. Okay, it may well have meant that long stick you throw at deer, but it might also have been the dirty innuendo you used when doing it in the tent, or it might have been the stick you used when casting sticks to make prophecies, or it might have been what you called a very tall tree, or that line of stars glittering in the night sky... We forget that people living in 5000 BC were just as clever as us, and used complex language, and must have used metaphors - indeed, with an oral culture, would have excelled at metaphor making!

It's easy to think - they lived in tents, so they had words for mum, dad, dog and trusty spear, and grunted the rest of the time. But they must have used their words metaphorically, and had patterns of association long-forgotten, which we can never reclaim, if only in the three thousand-year later echo of ancient myths...
Reply 1586
Original post by candide
Yeah, my view is taht there is a sad limitation to the usefulness of historical linguistics. We can do a nice comparative analysis and decide that the indo european word for spear is 'gar' (which I've come across but dunno how true this claim is).

But what do we mean when we say that? We mean we've found words in Sanskrit, Greek, Albanian, Gaelic, etc etc (or at least in their ancestral languages) that are all to do with weapons and share a common root 'gar.'

It doesn't tell us what 'gar' meant in the context of indo-european society. Okay, it may well have meant that long stick you throw at deer, but it might also have been the dirty innuendo you used when doing it in the tent, or it might have been the stick you used when casting sticks to make prophecies, or it might have been what you called a very tall tree, or that line of stars glittering in the night sky... We forget that people living in 5000 BC were just as clever as us, and used complex language, and must have used metaphors - indeed, with an oral culture, would have excelled at metaphor making!

It's easy to think - they lived in tents, so they had words for mum, dad, dog and trusty spear, and grunted the rest of the time. But they must have used their words metaphorically, and had patterns of association long-forgotten, which we can never reclaim, if only in the three thousand-year later echo of ancient myths...

yeah.. you get into the 'when does a long stick become a spear' problem :s-smilie: It's like doing comparative folklore motifs as well; some of them have influenced each other, but some motifs you will find in every culture regardless of interaction with other ones.

I know.. one thing that bugs me about humans is the present generation always think they're smart/generally better than the ones before....they'd have had more curiosity and imagination that's for sure.
Original post by Frey

It has a very varied climate; some parts are almost arid and desert-like and stuff nearer the west is near tropical. The fruit and veg... :drool: IT WAS ACTUALLY RIPE WHEN IT WAS PICKED, OH MY GAWDDD!

Hmm, all in all it sounds like a very interesting place. So it beats British fruit and veg? :colondollar: You must have been astounded...like Christmas, Easter and your birthday all at once...:tongue:

[QUOTE="Frey;37440508"]I think they liked Trotsky a bit too much..[/QUOTE[

Hmm, perhaps, but look at how he ended up...

Original post by Frey
same. Bad stuff:

1. people in groups
2. when people don't know other people.

'When people don't know other people'? How do you mean?

Original post by Frey
they are a lovely bunch of people, really so generous and kindhearted. :redface:

Aww. Well, that's really nice. I think we have a tired cliché of the Eastern Europeans perpetuated by people who have never been...

Original post by Frey
no, I'd say you were being A BUM :unimpressed:

i have ur passport. :ninja:

yessss. 2 and a half weeks :colondollar:

Of course you would. That's you all over.

No, you don't. (I totally didn't just go and check my room to make sure it was still in my drawer :erm: )

Oh, lucky you...how long for?
Reply 1588
Original post by Frey
yeah.. you get into the 'when does a long stick become a spear' problem :s-smilie: It's like doing comparative folklore motifs as well; some of them have influenced each other, but some motifs you will find in every culture regardless of interaction with other ones.

I know.. one thing that bugs me about humans is the present generation always think they're smart/generally better than the ones before....they'd have had more curiosity and imagination that's for sure.

And whether they distinguished between spears for fighting, spears for throwing and spears for spearing fish...

Oh god yes. In fact with language it goes the other way. Once a language gets written down it starts being simplified, and is universalized. But then with 'indigenous tribes' you have some austronesian languages with over twenty different genders, and for the most random of categories. And some African languages can inflect (conjugate? the thing you do when you add -ing, or -s, -ed to the end???) their verbs dependent on who your speaking to, where your speaking, at what time of day your speaking, and, again, which one of ten different genders the object is. So you get all this immensely bizarre and interesting complexity that, I bet you, existed in Indo-European as a pre-literate, oral, nomadic and probly minority language...
Reply 1589
Hmm, all in all it sounds like a very interesting place. So it beats British fruit and veg? :colondollar: You must have been astounded...like Christmas, Easter and your birthday all at once...:tongue:

fruuuuit... :drool:

Hmm, perhaps, but look at how he ended up...

I think basically equation is..

yourself+ not liking Stalin in some way/liking someone else+someone finding out about this= some sort of metal in a vital organ/sent of to Siberia.

'When people don't know other people'? How do you mean?

well, humans are meant to live in small groups, and everyone in that group knows each other; i.e they perceive them as actual beings like themselves and are unlikely to hurt them in anyway or they will face some sort of punishment from the rest of the group. However, in this day and age, when there are millions having to share space with each other, not knowing each other, people feel a lot less sorry when they completely **** other people over (be this in a minor or major way) because they will usually not feel any repercussion; in the power of the masses, a small group or even individual, this is can be a very poisonous thing.

Aww. Well, that's really nice. I think we have a tired cliché of the Eastern Europeans perpetuated by people who have never been...

Of course you would. That's you all over.

No, you don't. (I totally didn't just go and check my room to make sure it was still in my drawer :erm: )

Oh, lucky you...how long for?

oh yes....I know exactly what you mean.

i meed a copi and stol it :ninja:

away till August :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1590
Original post by candide
And whether they distinguished between spears for fighting, spears for throwing and spears for spearing fish...

Oh god yes. In fact with language it goes the other way. Once a language gets written down it starts being simplified, and is universalized. But then with 'indigenous tribes' you have some austronesian languages with over twenty different genders, and for the most random of categories. And some African languages can inflect (conjugate? the thing you do when you add -ing, or -s, -ed to the end???) their verbs dependent on who your speaking to, where your speaking, at what time of day your speaking, and, again, which one of ten different genders the object is. So you get all this immensely bizarre and interesting complexity that, I bet you, existed in Indo-European as a pre-literate, oral, nomadic and probly minority language...

it is all a bit of a wonderful mind**** really, isn't it? :colondollar:

It's such a shame when these beautiful languages (which are almost like animals, having adapted to their environment) and just bulldozered by globalization and the idea that everyone should know English......

It's verb conjugation and noun declension :colondollar:

I think formalities in language are so interesting. Though, interestingly in Greek, a slave addresses his master with the same grammar a master would address his slave. I think in China too (I don't know a lot a about the Sino-Tibetan group, so shoot me if I'm wrong :colondollar:) certain characters could never be written if the ruling emperor had these characters in his name. What's really strange is that New Persian had NO GENDER, although Sanskrit and the rest of the Indic branch does.... Wow, language is so complex and powerful....be still my beating heart :colondollar:

Let's just say I wouldn't be at all surprised :tongue:
Original post by Frey
fruuuuit... :drool:

I think basically equation is..

yourself+ not liking Stalin in some way/liking someone else+someone finding out about this= some sort of metal in a vital organ/sent of to Siberia.

Haha, I have an insatiable penchant for apples...

Yes, I think there's some pretty sound mathematics there...

Original post by Frey

well, humans are meant to live in small groups, and everyone in that group knows each other; i.e they perceive them as actual beings like themselves and are unlikely to hurt them in anyway or they will face some sort of punishment from the rest of the group. However, in this day and age, when there are millions having to share space with each other, not knowing each other, people feel a lot less sorry when they completely **** other people over (be this in a minor or major way) because they will usually not feel any repercussion; in the power of the masses, a small group or even individual, this is can be a very poisonous thing.

Ah. I understand perfectly well what you mean now. In fact, some research studies suggest that the maximum number of 'close' acquaintances that one can deal with in a social group is 150...clearly, our communities now hugely outnumber that. When you take into account, as you say, that we hardly know most of the people we meet - yes, I think you're completely right. This is only increased by the fact that not only are we in communities of thousands, multiculturalism means we have (ostensibly) widely disparate sympathies and motivations.

Original post by Frey

oh yes....I know exactly what you mean.

i meed a copi and stol it :ninja:

away till August :colondollar:

Of course you do. :rolleyes:

That's a felony! You are now a felon!

Oh, for ages! Does this mean you won't be gracing this thread with your presence?
Reply 1592
Haha, I have an insatiable penchant for apples...

I adore the following: apples (green ones :unimpressed:), raspberries, lemons, pomegranates, strawberries, red currants, blackberries, limes, mangoes and pineapple. :drool:

Ah. I understand perfectly well what you mean now. In fact, some research studies suggest that the maximum number of 'close' acquaintances that one can deal with in a social group is 150...clearly, our communities now hugely outnumber that. When you take into account, as you say, that we hardly know most of the people we meet - yes, I think you're completely right. This is only increased by the fact that not only are we in communities of thousands, multiculturalism means we have (ostensibly) widely disparate sympathies and motivations.

exactly..it's just the opposite of the environment a human is wired to live in.

There was this famous study I read about a while ago was really disturbing... Milgram experiment? It pretty much shows how nasty people can be (and not care)/ feel no responsibility for people they don't know/can be manipulated by an authority figure... really really disturbing. Here's a link if you've not heard of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Of course you do. :rolleyes:

That's a felony! You are now a felon!

Oh, for ages! Does this mean you won't be gracing this thread with your presence?

no im not.. it belongs 2 her royl majesti, i am her royal majesti..... :ninja:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't worry! I will have access to the internet (I'm spending most of my time in west Georgia at an archaeology base; they have a computer :colondollar: there will be times when I'm roaming mountains and visiting monks in cave-monasteries though, so there might be days when I'm not on for a few days :dumbells:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Frey
I adore the following: apples (green ones :unimpressed:), raspberries, lemons, pomegranates, strawberries, red currants, blackberries, limes, mangoes and pineapple. :drool:

Oh, you're very varied. Eclectic, almost. I only eat apples and green grapes. I'm fussy. :colondollar:

Original post by Frey
exactly..it's just the opposite of the environment a human is wired to live in.

There was this famous study I read about a while ago was really disturbing... Milgram experiment? It pretty much shows how nasty people can be (and not care)/ feel no responsibility for people they don't know/can be manipulated by an authority figure... really really disturbing. Here's a link if you've not heard of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Exactly, I totally agree. I'm actually familiar with the Milgram experiment; it was one of the cornerstone studies of the Social Psychology module in Psychology AS. And it's no use saying that it was 'just one experiment', as both the participants and experimental conditions were altered, with vaguely similar results. (Having said that, I don't think it's correct to say they didn't care. Some of the participants were fairly distressed).

Original post by Frey

no im not.. it belongs 2 her royl majesti, i am her royal majesti..... :ninja:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't worry! I will have access to the internet (I'm spending most of my time in west Georgia at an archaeology base; they have a computer :colondollar: there will be times when I'm roaming mountains and visiting monks in cave-monasteries though, so there might be days when I'm not on for a few days :dumbells:)

According to whom? :lolwut: Your plotting peasants?

Oh, yay! :P That's really cool; your year has been far more interesting than mine. :top2: I'm sure the Republic of ClassOrientish Lit will be able to survive your sporadic disappearances...:yep:
Reply 1594
Original post by anyone_can_fly
x

Original post by candide
x

x

Original post by medbh4805
x

you guys might have come across this before, but this guy does really sweet Greek/Japanese/Egyptian/Norse/general fairytale comic strips, and I thought I might share :colondollar: He always leaves a little explanation underneath too, hope you like them!

http://www.happletea.com/2011/09/13/playing-with-fire/
Original post by Frey
you guys might have come across this before, but this guy does really sweet Greek/Japanese/Egyptian/Norse/general fairytale comic strips, and I thought I might share :colondollar: He always leaves a little explanation underneath too, hope you like them!

http://www.happletea.com/2011/09/13/playing-with-fire/

Bookmarked. :smile:
Reply 1596
Oh, you're very varied. Eclectic, almost. I only eat apples and green grapes. I'm fussy. :colondollar:

OHHH, I like grapes too!
I know, I'm a fruit monster :perv:

Exactly, I totally agree. I'm actually familiar with the Milgram experiment; it was one of the cornerstone studies of the Social Psychology module in Psychology AS. And it's no use saying that it was 'just one experiment', as both the participants and experimental conditions were altered, with vaguely similar results. (Having said that, I don't think it's correct to say they didn't care. Some of the participants were fairly distressed).

yes yes, it's very complicated :colondollar: haha, I know some were distressed, my way of phrasing wasn't the best way to put it..oops :ninja:, what I meant was more 'care enough to act'.

According to whom? :lolwut: Your plotting peasants?

no. 2 everyone :perv:

Oh, yay!
:P That's really cool; your year has been far more interesting than mine. :top2: I'm sure the Republic of ClassOrientish Lit will be able to survive your sporadic disappearances...:yep:

heheh...I'm sure they will. :sexface:
Reply 1597
Original post by Frey
it is all a bit of a wonderful mind**** really, isn't it? :colondollar:

It's such a shame when these beautiful languages (which are almost like animals, having adapted to their environment) and just bulldozered by globalization and the idea that everyone should know English......

It's verb conjugation and noun declension :colondollar:

I think formalities in language are so interesting. Though, interestingly in Greek, a slave addresses his master with the same grammar a master would address his slave. I think in China too (I don't know a lot a about the Sino-Tibetan group, so shoot me if I'm wrong :colondollar:) certain characters could never be written if the ruling emperor had these characters in his name. What's really strange is that New Persian had NO GENDER, although Sanskrit and the rest of the Indic branch does.... Wow, language is so complex and powerful....be still my beating heart :colondollar:

Let's just say I wouldn't be at all surprised :tongue:

I'm not so sure its that they've adapted to their environment, I think its that there is no selection pressure acting on them to keep them simple. e.g. when proto-whales entered the sea, they no longer had to worry about gravity, and retained (and indeed developed) their hugely complicated ungulate-like digestive system even tho for a krill-eating baleen whale this kind of complexity was un-necessary. But with bouyancy acting against the typical selective pressure of 'don't make it too heavy!', there was selection against heavy and useless winding digestive systems.

Similarly, say we have an ancestral language group of 5000 people, and twelve speakers dissappear into the darkest jungle to found a tribe. We could end up with a monoglot speaker population of 200 people, all speaking the same language, permanently isolated from the original population. Over hundreds of years, the jungle language evolves and gets way more complicated. One day someone invents a new gender, or tries out a new tense, or adds a new suffix for emphasis, and it catches on in the community. Because the only 200 people I know in the world speak this language, I'm obliged to speak the language, whatever frippery has been added - there is no pressure to keep it simple because no one from outside our jungle community speaks the language, we don't need to write it down, our children have all the time in the world to learn grammar rules... this happened with navajo, I think - a child wasn't fluent til they were 12, unlike English where we manage it by six.

So I suppose what I'm getting at is that in the 21st century there is tremendous pressure on speakers to keep English simple, standardized, easy to learn, but for my jungle language - used only by the community, associated intimately with their way of life - it can get as complicated as it likes and it will in no away affect its rate of proliferation cos no one was gonna learn it anyway!

Language is complex and beautiful and brilliant, but I think with 90% of the world pop speaking just 20 world languages, we're gonna see a decline in diversity and craziness. All the more reason to learn random languages like Anutan (or Gaidhlig for that matter!)
Reply 1598
Bookmarked. :smile:

yayyy! thought you'd like them :h:
Original post by Frey
OHHH, I like grapes too!
I know, I'm a fruit monster :perv:

Odd use of the :perv: emoticon...:hmmm: Fruit fetishes? :erm:

Original post by Frey
yes yes, it's very complicated :colondollar: haha, I know some were distressed, my way of phrasing wasn't the best way to put it..oops :ninja:, what I meant was more 'care enough to act'.

Indeed. Ah, fair enough. I should've perhaps picked up on that. It very much got to me when I first heard about it, because I was sure that I would've refused...but...:sigh:

Original post by Frey

no. 2 everyone :perv:

heheh...I'm sure they will. :sexface:

If you say so. :lolwut: Again, an intriguing use of the :perv: face...

I have no words.

Quick Reply

Latest