Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Ski Trip pick up points

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: I would be interested in getting picked up from....
    Leeds
    43.48%
    Manchester
    39.13%
    Nottingham
    28.26%
    Sheffield
    21.74%

• 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but normally Ski-Alpine would be dealing with groups that have just one pick-up point, surely? Uni groups or 'military' groups [which would again be uni groups, tbf] would all just pick up at one place - their uni. The particular arrangements of this trip will be a little unusual so asking for a slightly unusual amount of organisation/pick-up info isn't too unreasonable...?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, despite Leeds being the most popular on the vote, the northern pick up is Manchester Piccadilly, followed by stops in London and Dover.

That's a start, I guess.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    London
    Ugh. It's definitely not London unfortunately. It's London, if you live way East of London. As a traveller from west of London it's going to take me 2 hours to get there by train, compared to 25 minutes into London centre. It would take me the exact same time to get to Manchester pickup and Dover Priory, which is a bit silly. It's annoying that it's going to cost me another £50 just to get to and from the pickup point and that's not helped by the last minute information they're sending us on when the pickups are going to be

Crap planning by Ski Alpine there.

For the extra 45 minutes on a coach I might have to go to London rather than Dover so I can grab a seat with people I know.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a joke that we don't get times till 2 weeks prior to the trip......

Now I will have to spend more ££ on booking a train closer to the time.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Ugh. It's definitely not London unfortunately. It's London, if you live way East of London. As a traveller from west of London it's going to take me 2 hours to get there by train, compared to 25 minutes into London centre. It would take me the exact same time to get to Manchester pickup and Dover Priory, which is a bit silly. It's annoying that it's going to cost me another £50 just to get to and from the pickup point and that's not helped by the last minute information they're sending us on when the pickups are going to be

Crap planning by Ski Alpine there.

For the extra 45 minutes on a coach I might have to go to London rather than Dover so I can grab a seat with people I know.
    Just so you and others don't get overly mixed up, it's not Dover Priory [the train station] but the ferry terminal at the docks.

But yes, I agree, it's all a bit farcical. They clearly can't cope with a disparate group of people going, or are simply unwilling to make the changes and do the extra planning necessary for such groups.
    K, as much as you work for them and will have to say nice things about them, you've got to agree that the arrangements are a little silly.

As for me it makes life more difficult. I now need to persuade someone to give me a lift - a 180mile round trip- , or risk taking my skis on a trainline who have been known to refuse such large pieces of luggage.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just so you and others don't get overly mixed up, it's not Dover Priory [the train station] but the ferry terminal at the docks.
    Yeah, sorry I was referring to the nearest train station.

I'll more than likely be doing the to Paddington, tube to Liverpool St then train to the "London" pickup. Why they didn't pick somewhere a bit more central London, I have no idea
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)

I'll more than likely be doing the to Paddington, tube to Liverpool St then train to the "London" pickup. Why they didn't pick somewhere a bit more central London, I have no idea
    Presumably because it adds so much to the journey time.

Having transited through London with National Express very recently [yesterday] I know that it takes a bit over an hour to get into Victoria and then a bit over an hour to get out of it again [even in 'quiet' parts of the day/night]. That adds significant time to the journey, I'm not too disheartened that they want to forgo that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Presumably because it adds so much to the journey time.

Having transited through London with National Express very recently [yesterday] I know that it takes a bit over an hour to get into Victoria and then a bit over an hour to get out of it again [even in 'quiet' parts of the day/night]. That adds significant time to the journey, I'm not too disheartened that they want to forgo that.
    So go via Reading
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty unimpressed with the choices. Wish flying wasn't ridiculously expensive.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valjean)
    Pretty unimpressed with the choices.
    Because, as with a lot of ski-alpine's organisation, it's a bit cack.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lets pick the most obscure London train station that no ones ever heard of, nice one skialpine.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm Manchester is a bit rubbishy! I think this means i'll have to sleep chez mes parents the thursday night and smile extremely sweetly at daddy on the friday morning for a lift to manchester!!
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:

But yes, I agree, it's all a bit farcical. They clearly can't cope with a disparate group of people going, or are simply unwilling to make the changes and do the extra planning necessary for such groups.
    K, as much as you work for them and will have to say nice things about them, you've got to agree that the arrangements are a little silly.

As for me it makes life more difficult. I now need to persuade someone to give me a lift - a 180mile round trip- , or risk taking my skis on a trainline who have been known to refuse such large pieces of luggage.
    Where you needing a lift from? And how big are your skis?

So, where are the pickup points? Manchester picadilly, Dover ferry port and where in London? And how can we change our pickup point to Manchester? I seem to be missing this information everyone else has
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woahh, there's actually a TSR ski trip?! xD
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Where you needing a lift from? And how big are your skis?

So, where are the pickup points? Manchester picadilly, Dover ferry port and where in London? And how can we change our pickup point to Manchester? I seem to be missing this information everyone else has
    York, 174s. But it's more the principle of carrying skis. They don't fit in train luggage racks, most conductors aren't too happy about such things.

And you should have got an email about it today, check your junk folder.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Lets pick the most obscure London train station that no ones ever heard of, nice one skialpine.
    I agree, they spelt it wrong in the email too! I'm coming from Newcastle/Sunderland so it's actually 3hrs quicker for me to go to this random place near London, because of awkward rail links to Manchester
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    chafford hundred? really? ;o

York, 174s. But it's more the principle of carrying skis. They don't fit in train luggage racks, most conductors aren't too happy about such things.

how likely is that to happen? can we not just stand them up in the connection area between train cars or something?

also only having 2 weeks notice for exact times is pretty crap.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)

Hey, I'm from Newcastle but stopping with my brother in London prior to the trip. How long do you think it would take to get from the city centre, say Kings Cross?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Hey, I'm from Newcastle but stopping with my brother in London prior to the trip. How long do you think it would take to get from the city centre, say Kings Cross?
    about an hour probably
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:

Hmm, I believe it would be unfeasible for me to give you a lift, would be about £20-£30 petrol money, although if you want me to I am happy to. Would just need to check I could fit your skis in my car though.

Found the e-mail at least.

(Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Hour if you are very lucky, more like an hour and a half to two hours due to wait for connections. Is Chafford Hundred still even in London? I thought it was Thurrock, you can *just* use an oyster card to there, but it is beyond zone 6, and beyond the tubes. You need to get a train from Fenchurch Street / Limehouse / Barking / Upminister to get there for anyone travelling there.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.