Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Ski Trip pick up points

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: I would be interested in getting picked up from....
    Leeds
    43.48%
    Manchester
    39.13%
    Nottingham
    28.26%
    Sheffield
    21.74%

• 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    My plan is pretty much defo Leeds to Chester on the Thursday, then a lift from Chester to Manc the friday morning. Am happy to try to factor in any lifts for people up here and accommodate on the thurs night. My car defo fits skis but that would mean a max of like 2 passengers i'd be able to take so i can't do a northern car full or anything!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thought Leeds would have been a much better North pickup point.

God, at least I can use an Oyster card to make life a little bit easier.. I'll probs turn up about 2 hours early, just to be safe!
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Thought Leeds would have been a much better North pickup point.

God, at least I can use an Oyster card to make life a little bit easier.. I'll probs turn up about 2 hours early, just to be safe!
    It *might* be cheaper to buy a paper ticket than use an Oyster card to get to Chafford Hundred.
    • 15 followers

Hi guys I understand some of your issues with the pick-up points but this is a very good value ski trip and so there's got to be a sacrifice or two. I'm afraid going to Victoria would not only take a lot longer but you also have to pay for access to Victoria coach station, which is another unnecessary cost.

I know that Chafford Hundred is out of the way but the pick-up time (although not confirmed) should give you plenty of time to get there and I'll be down there nice and early if anyone fancies a pint while waiting for the coach. As for travelling on trains with skis etc it can be a bit of a hassle but i've shipped mine around on tubes, buses and trains in central london and never had a problem, on some of them I even managed to get my 171s in to the overhead.

I'm sure once you're on the coach you won't care how you got to it as we'll be on the way to an awesome ski trip and I'm sure you'll love what we have planned for you in resort.

Can't wait to get out there and ski with you all, 30 days to go
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have rough guesses for the pick up points? I'm guessing we'll be getting the ferry early in the morning, so would Manchester pick up be about midday and London be in the afternoon? Would really like to know for train tickets considering how expensive they are. Thanks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzzzippy)
    Does anyone have rough guesses for the pick up points? I'm guessing we'll be getting the ferry early in the morning, so would Manchester pick up be about midday and London be in the afternoon? Would really like to know for train tickets considering how expensive they are. Thanks.
    Rough guesses won't help you for buying the train tickets - you'll be lucky if we guess them within 4 hours.

I would guess that we arrive in Huez late on the Saturday, it's a 14hr [or thereabouts] drive on the French side, the earliest crossing on the Saturday is 04.20, the next at 6.35, it takes about 1hr20 to cross. There is a pick up at Dover, so factor in some time there, ~2hrs out of London, a stop at London to load up, 5/6hrs down from Manchester...

Could be anytime from 6am on the Friday onwards...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K)
    Hi guys I understand some of your issues with the pick-up points but this is a very good value ski trip and so there's got to be a sacrifice or two. I'm afraid going to Victoria would not only take a lot longer but you also have to pay for access to Victoria coach station, which is another unnecessary cost.

I know that Chafford Hundred is out of the way but the pick-up time (although not confirmed) should give you plenty of time to get there and I'll be down there nice and early if anyone fancies a pint while waiting for the coach. As for travelling on trains with skis etc it can be a bit of a hassle but i've shipped mine around on tubes, buses and trains in central london and never had a problem, on some of them I even managed to get my 171s in to the overhead.

I'm sure once you're on the coach you won't care how you got to it as we'll be on the way to an awesome ski trip and I'm sure you'll love what we have planned for you in resort.

Can't wait to get out there and ski with you all, 30 days to go
    Two things;

1- It's not that brilliant value. I'm going away next week to Andorra. I've got the whole Grandvalira complex open to me on the lift pass [which has some 150km more skiing available], I'm flying, with lift pass, transfers and ski carriage included and I'm doing that for £10 more than I paid for this trip - and I paid the least possible.

2- While some sacrifices are inevitable [24hrs on a coach springs to mind] there are some we're being asked to make which come down to no more than laziness and an unwillingness to make plans and organise things. If what you've been saying is accurate, ski-alpine has some 100-or so bookings, the cheapest of which has paid £394, some have paid £550+. That means the company is damned close to having half a million quid off us. That amount of money really doesn't warrant a little extra information and help? We know this is an unusual arrangement. It's not a single fixed location for pickups. That's fine. It does make things more complicated. But not that complicated. It's not unreasonable of us to want a bit more.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzzzippy)
    Just get there real early to save money on train tickets, and any money you save can be spent on drinks at the pub waiting for the bus? :P
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Umm, without knowing times I'm not sure whether booking a train/coach ticket to London is feesible or whether it'd be much easier to just drive to the pick up point. But I'd prefer not to leave my car for a week.

Anyone else looking at going from Chafford Hundred pick up point? Just wondering what others are doing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Umm, without knowing times I'm not sure whether booking a train/coach ticket to London is feesible or whether it'd be much easier to just drive to the pick up point. But I'd prefer not to leave my car for a week.

Anyone else looking at going from Chafford Hundred pick up point? Just wondering what others are doing.
    I'm going from London Probably getting the two hours train...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going from London. Going to drive down with mate and split petrol costs!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshiep)
    I'm going from London. Going to drive down with mate and split petrol costs!
    Where are you leaving the car? This is the only reason I'm considering taking the train!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you go on the train station site it says that you can park on their car park for £22 for the week, just going to split the cost!
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you go on the train station site it says that you can park on their car park for £22 for the week, just going to split the cost!
    I would say don't bother, you can park nearby in Lakeside or the residential area for free.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    I would say don't bother, you can park nearby in Lakeside or the residential area for free.
    Is it normal to park in these places for a week? I'd be worriedd about accruing dodgy parking fines.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal to park in these places for a week? I'd be worriedd about accruing dodgy parking fines.
    The residential area you will be fine, Lakeside itself I have no idea.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    The residential area you will be fine, Lakeside itself I have no idea.
    Thanks man

In that case I might not even worry about trains - I'd much rather just make my way down in my own time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe so but atleast i know that my car is secure on the station car park?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe so but atleast i know that my car is secure on the station car park?
    True, you have that. If you are worried about security - might be worth phoning Lakeside and asking if you can leave your car in their car park for a week - parking is usually free, but for an extended amount of time it might help if you offer some money, but could most likely get away with less than £22 - and all their car parks are pass mark so secure.

Thanks man

In that case I might not even worry about trains - I'd much rather just make my way down in my own time
    Car will be easier I am sure Will have a look on google maps at some point for where I saw that you can park in the area last time I was around there.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    How many people are going on this trip? I only found out about this now!?

Will there be one next year?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 21, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.