The Student Room Group

Do you view soldiers as heroes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Because if the OP was actually interested in seeing what people thought then they'd have looked through any of the many hundred [and that's not an exaggeration] other threads making the exact same point/allegation and gaining the exact same replies from posters, some of whom are serious, some of whom are trolling [so no, not all people are answering constructively].

There is nothing new to be gained from this thread, it will be a carbon copy of so many that has gone before. That's why I mock it/the OP.
Thanks for the neg, glad to see you take mild criticism well. And I've never actually seen any of these threads. If the last one actually was two weeks ago then the OP had every right to make a new thread about it as opposed to wasting time by searching through the past ones to get these viewpoints. So again, if you don't like the thread and have nothing constructive to say, why bother posting?
Reply 21
Original post by Jackso
Thanks for the neg, glad to see you take mild criticism well. And I've never actually seen any of these threads. If the last one actually was two weeks ago then the OP had every right to make a new thread about it as opposed to wasting time by searching through the past ones to get these viewpoints. So again, if you don't like the thread and have nothing constructive to say, why bother posting?

Arguably, the points that the thread's been done many times before, won't get any form of concensus, will be a mecca to trolls and baiters, will not encourage debate, will descend into farce and then be locked are constructive and worthy of being brought to people's attention.

I also note that it's only my post saying how pointless the thread is that you pick up on. Does cid's post not get to you as well, he makes the exact same point as myself?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Arguably, the points that the thread's been done many times before, won't get any form of concensus, will be a mecca to trolls and baiters, will not encourage debate, will descend into farce and then be locked are constructive and worthy of being brought to people's attention.
You can sum up the Religious part of the forum in exactly the same words but it's still equally useless to complain about it. And those points you've made just now may be considered constructive by some, but your original post was just bitchy.
Reply 23
Original post by Jackso
You can sum up the Religious part of the forum in exactly the same words but it's still equally useless to complain about it. And those points you've made just now may be considered constructive by some, but your original post was just bitchy.

You can, and that's a prime reason I stay away from that part of the forum. You'll also notice that within said section you get the same threads over and over, the same trolls and the same result: tedious, childish threads that end up getting locked. When the same is an inevitable result here it gets your goat.

Yeah, my original post was short, but it gets the same point across, merely in a different manner.
As a pacifist, I don't believe what soldiers are doing is heroic - they're killing other human beings, and in my opinion that's wrong, whatever political context it takes place in. But I recognise that I couldn't do their job - it requires huge amounts of courage and self-discipline, and maybe there's something heroic in that.
Reply 25

Spoiler

Bang on! :yy:
Original post by kerb123
The media constantly cram down our throats the idea that every member of the armed forces is a hero. I recently saw on facebook some who is in the army talking about how "killing p*kis" in Afghanistan.

What is your view?

Well, you know what, I am not interested in British Soldiers with all due respect. Why bother to risk your life to go somewhere dangerous? They do this because, they believe that they can demolish dictatorship and restore democracy, but this is clearly not true. They just make the situation x10 worse, so for them to be called 'hero' is completely ironic, and misleading. And when they die, it's whole chapter to talk about, so this is what I believe. I don't think that they are at all hero's, but stuck-up attention seekers who want to portray a stereotypical image of a hero.
Yes and No. I see soldiers as no more heroic than my local fire brigade, police force, emergency doctors and nurses and ambulance teams. But i do see their job as something that I would personally not be able to do and there are soldiers who have done heroic acts and deserve respect for it.
Reply 28
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Yeah, my original post was short, but it gets the same point across, merely in a different manner.

Didn't come across that way to me but alright.
Reply 29
Yes, like most people, I do.
Reply 30
Original post by Derfel
If perhaps they performed a heroic act (saved a child whilst putting their own life at risk, saved their unit, stopped the tea from spilling etc..) then yes, they are heroes, however they are not heroes merely by joining the armed forces.

Calling someone a hero for their own lifestyle choice is one of the many silly ideas we've imported from the US which has caused our once proud nation to be in it's current sorry state. There seems to be a steady influx of "chavs" who have slipped through the education system and have decided to join up with the army as opposed to getting an education.

I agree. I know a few people who constantly announce they are joining the army blatantly for the attention and the "glory."
The real heroes are those that work in the NHS, not in the army
Reply 32
No, I view them as fodder.
Reply 33
Not really :/ they are just doing a service like anybody else who works. And there are many professions that I admire more. I don't think they're bad people or anything though, well not always anyway
Original post by Samuelv-37
No way. I view them as stupid for joining the army and risking their lives for a pointless war. And even more so for believing that they are actually doing something good for Afghanistan.

What a stupid and naive thing to say. Unless you've been there and have seen first hand what they have done you don't know they haven't done any good or haven't changed anything for the better.
I do believe that soldiers are heroes. I hope to train as a nurse and join the army.
Reply 36
My sister's ex-boyfriend (a soldier) said 'I know it's all about oil, but I don't care, I just wanna get back to killing smelly Pakis' and regaled us with tales of how he'd 'kick them Pakis doors down and shoot them in the ****ing head'.Said he killed quite a few children too.He also had a colossal ego, no charm whatsoever and genuinely one of the ugliest faces I've ever seen, yet everyone seemed to worship the ground he walked on, and he even had a succession of model-like girlfriends.It was all Herotm this and Hero tm that. PUT ARE HEROES NAME ON BITH CERTIFICATE PETITION ARE!11!!! and so on.

I think of soldier worship as a kind of mental illness.I thought it was worst among Daily Sport reading hick types, but it's actually the apparently educated middle-class TSR types who fetishise soldiers most violently, and can least be dissuaded of their desire to gobble soldier cock.Maybe burning Muslim flesh just gets them off, or maybe they just want to be dominated by authority.Perhaps if born earlier they would have been the most enthusiastic supporters of Hitler.

I just pray that one day, somehow, these people suffer the same fate as the victims of the soldiers they worship.
Reply 37
Original post by catman7
My sister's ex-boyfriend (a soldier) said 'I know it's all about oil, but I don't care, I just wanna get back to killing smelly Pakis' and regaled us with tales of how he'd 'kick them Pakis doors down and shoot them in the ****ing head'.Said he killed quite a few children too.He also had a colossal ego, no charm whatsoever and genuinely one of the ugliest faces I've ever seen, yet everyone seemed to worship the ground he walked on, and he even had a succession of model-like girlfriends.It was all Herotm this and Hero tm that. PUT ARE HEROES NAME ON BITH CERTIFICATE PETITION ARE!11!!! and so on.

I think of soldier worship as a kind of mental illness.I thought it was worst among Daily Sport reading hick types, but it's actually the apparently educated middle-class TSR types who fetishise soldiers most violently, and can least be dissuaded of their desire to gobble soldier cock.Maybe burning Muslim flesh just gets them off, or maybe they just want to be dominated by authority.Perhaps if born earlier they would have been the most enthusiastic supporters of Hitler.

I just pray that one day, somehow, these people suffer the same fate as the victims of the soldiers they worship.

Nice open minded attitude you have there after meeting one soldier. :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Original post by catman7

Said he killed quite a few children too

And you actually believed that?
Reply 39
Original post by Howard
Said he killed quite a few children too

And you actually believed that?

Precisely, any lad going round an infantry battalion bragging that he'd killed children wouldn't last five minutes. Blokes talking out of his backside.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending