The Student Room Group

Do you view soldiers as heroes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miryo
why you mad? :rolleyes:

I'm not
Obviously not all soldiers are heroes. On a side note, aggrandizing the armed forces is decidedly very un-British. To sum it all up;

"Our army is composed of the scum of the earth-the mere scum of the earth"

Not that the current army is so, but just to provide a different perspective. There is a reason for an army, and it does a job, perhaps like no other, but a job nonetheless and they are not forced to do it.
Reply 82
No. I dont.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Hero is an overused word. However, I fully support our armed forces and admire and appreciate what they are doing.

Anyone who would willingly give up their life for their country is held in high-regards by me.

Disgaree, your run of the mill soldier has no input into who they shoot - they would shoot unarmed labrador puppies if they were told to. And however horrific bomb injuries are, the casualties per solider in afganistan are low compared to other proper wars - the afganis dont have the capapbility or expertise to be a miliatary threat to a well equiped and trained us or european soldier.

Soldiers ( basic level troops) join the army largely on the basis that they want to shoot things with high tech guns. They have no input into whether their efforts are moral or not.

The real heroes ( and villans) are the politicians that decide who and when we as a country go to war against.
Reply 84
More like brainwashed victims.
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Disgaree, your run of the mill soldier has no input into who they shoot - they would shoot unarmed labrador puppies if they were told to. And however horrific bomb injuries are, the casualties per solider in afganistan are low compared to other proper wars - the afganis dont have the capapbility or expertise to be a miliatary threat to a well equiped and trained us or european soldier.

Soldiers ( basic level troops) join the army largely on the basis that they want to shoot things with high tech guns. They have no input into whether their efforts are moral or not.

The real heroes ( and villans) are the politicians that decide who and when we as a country go to war against.

Do you have any experience on which to base your opinions?
Original post by JustWonderingWhy
Do you have any experience on which to base your opinions?

yes in as much i know guys that have done their service in the idf, british armed services and few other countries.

And also have a basic knowledge of international politics
yes in as much i know guys that have done their service in the idf, british armed services and few other countries.

And also have a basic knowledge of international politics

Fair enough. I think you have been badly informed, then. To suggest that the threat to troops in Afghanistan is low due to the training and equipment of the soldiers seems to ignore the casualties rate amongst British troops; this is actually pretty high.

Also, I think you have a very 2 dimensional concept of the role of a junior soldier. It isn't a question of just shooting anything that they get told to.
Original post by JustWonderingWhy
Fair enough. I think you have been badly informed, then. To suggest that the threat to troops in Afghanistan is low due to the training and equipment of the soldiers seems to ignore the casualties rate amongst British troops; this is actually pretty high.

Also, I think you have a very 2 dimensional concept of the role of a junior soldier. It isn't a question of just shooting anything that they get told to.

In terms of other major international largescale conflicts, uk losses in afganistan - although regrettable- have not come close to any other of the major conflicts over a similar time scale

in a decade of fighting less than 400 casualties to uk armed forces ( and that has not sperated out those KIAs in friendly fire or accidents on maneovers)
Is not in reality a high rate. More than 40 civilians of the same age a year die in this country no?

This refelcts the fact that the afgans are resticted to primitive guerrlia and terrosit tactics to fight the british and americans.

Also, I think you have a very 2 dimensional concept of the role of a junior soldier. It isn't a question of just shooting anything that they get told to

I think thats exactly the role of a junior soldier ( i count straight forward peace keeping activities and training as a minor part of a modern soldiers role) Without leaving the armed forces, a soldier cannot decide who they are suppossed to be firing at. they have joined knowing that and are happy with that fact.
In terms of other major international largescale conflicts, uk losses in afganistan - although regrettable- have not come close to any other of the major conflicts over a similar time scale

in a decade of fighting less than 400 casualties to uk armed forces ( and that has not sperated out those KIAs in friendly fire or accidents on maneovers)
Is not in reality a high rate. More than 40 civilians of the same age a year die in this country no?

This refelcts the fact that the afgans are resticted to primitive guerrlia and terrosit tactics to fight the british and americans.

Also, I think you have a very 2 dimensional concept of the role of a junior soldier. It isn't a question of just shooting anything that they get told to

I think thats exactly the role of a junior soldier ( i count straight forward peace keeping activities and training as a minor part of a modern soldiers role) Without leaving the armed forces, a soldier cannot decide who they are suppossed to be firing at. they have joined knowing that and are happy with that fact.

The total is indeed low. As you say, in comparison to something like WW1, this is tiny. However, the ratio is much less low. There are around 2000 - 3000 soldiers routinely operating on the ground. The casualty rate has been as high as 60 killed and perhaps 150 with life changing injuries (in a 6 month tour). This represents something like one in 10-15. In certain areas it can be even higher.

In terms of the junior soldier. Much of his activity in Afghanistan will be focussed on mentoring and partnering Afghan soldiers and policeman rather than fighting.

That is a very stupid, and incredibly uneducated thing to say.

Your basically saying everyone in the infantry is an emotionless war junky, which is highly disrespectful.
Reply 91
Original post by callum9999
It's so tedious you decided to not only read it, but also join in the discussion?

I never understand why this stuff bothers people. Is someone sitting next to you forcing you to read the thread? Don't like it, don't read it.

I was just answering the question, i did not raise the issue, if you read back you will notice i gave a clear answer prior to the post you quoted me from.

It doesn't bother me, i was just pointing out how these threads end up ... and i was proved right GO ME!
Reply 92
Original post by kerb123
The media constantly cram down our throats the idea that every member of the armed forces is a hero. I recently saw on facebook some who is in the army talking about how "killing p*kis" in Afghanistan.

What is your view?

HELL NO! They kill, torture etc. I hate violence because it is difficult to avoid a 'disproportionate use of force'.
Egyptian army, US army, British army, Israeli army etc ALL OF THEM HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMANITY!
Reply 93

Your basically saying everyone in the infantry is an emotionless war junky, which is highly disrespectful.

it is not stupid. I just don't understand how they can sleep at night knowing that they killed innocent people and destroyed countries? What gives the right to some humans to end the lives of others?
I am anti-violence/killing btw. It is not necessary. God gave us life to all. We should not mess up with others'.
Reply 94
Yeah most are heroes to me.

I was seriously considering signing up as an alternative to uni.
Also just because you don't view them as heroes doesn't mean you don't salute their courage and the fact that the risk their lives.
Original post by itzme
it is not stupid. I just don't understand how they can sleep at night knowing that they killed innocent people and destroyed countries? What gives the right to some humans to end the lives of others?
I am anti-violence/killing btw. It is not necessary. God gave us life to all. We should not mess up with others'.

The British Soldier in Afghanistan has hardly killed innocent people or destroyed countries...

I think you'll find Afghanistan is a much better place to live than it was in 2001, and while sometimes mistakes happen, and civilians are killed, it is a very rare event, and it's hardly done on purpose either.

While I'm not condoning violence in anyway, wars are sometimes necessary. I'm not religious either so I'm going to completely ignore that last statement.
Reply 98
The hyperbole people are coming out with in this thread is as usual unbelievable. This discussion on here will never be rational because of the amount of morons who start screaming "Zomgz soldierz are baby killerz!!!11!"

For most of them they're just people doing a job, nothing more nothing less, however some are placed in situations where they have to carry out heroic acts, such as the female medic who crawled under enemy fire to treat wounded ANA soldiers.

No i didnt say everyone, i said 'largely' learn to read comments before jumping on your high horse. I said it from my knowelde of people that have enlisted; 3 guys in basic trainng, 1 in officer training and 1 guy in recruitment. with the exception of the the officer, all joined for the thrill of shooting things/people which they would never get to do in any other profession. And the fact that 2 of them had been unemployed for 18 months too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending