Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blanking out

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My little sister, 6, keeps blanking out recently, as in for 30 seconds she will just stand there and not notice anything that is going on. School have noticed a bit too. We asked her about it and she says she doesnt like it,
    Any idea what this could be?
    Light also hurts her eye sometimes
    Keep trying to get a docs appointment but even when we ring as soon as they open theyve got no spaces left because its so close to xmas and they won't prebook us an appointment.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go to a GP as soon as possible, do any of your local surgeries run drop in or same day clinics?

It could be something or it could be nothing, but it's the sort of thing that is important to get checked out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are there no walk in clinics near you? The health centre near me runs them on weekday mornings. You'll have to wait a while before anybody can see you, but I'd say it's worth the wait if you can't get an appointment, sounds like something you should really see a doctor about.

Edit: http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/walk-in/ there's some information about drop in clinics in sheffield there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope theres nothing like that near us, our doctors surgery is always rammed and never got spaces
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Have you explained to the receptionist what's going on? Including 'school have recommended she sees a doctor' ... which I'm guessing they have? Or try asking for a telephone appointment with one of the doctors - once you get to talk to them, I expect they'll want to see your sister and they'll be able to find you a space (doctors usually have access to more appointment slots than receptionists do) or add you in as an extra.

Failing that, find another GP surgery nearby that does do drop-in appointments and register as a temporary patient there. They may well say no, but worth a try.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Ben)
    Are there no walk in clinics near you? The health centre near me runs them on weekday mornings. You'll have to wait a while before anybody can see you, but I'd say it's worth the wait if you can't get an appointment, sounds like something you should really see a doctor about.

Edit: http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/walk-in/ there's some information about drop in clinics in sheffield there.
    I don't live in the centre of sheffield, i live in a little villiage on the outskirts.
    I've told my mum to take her down for when it opens and refuse to leave till she is seen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History123)
    I don't live in the centre of sheffield, i live in a little villiage on the outskirts.
    I've told my mum to take her down for when it opens and refuse to leave till she is seen.
    Sounds like a good plan. I hope everything works out ok.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are these episodes more likely to occur if she breathes shallowly? Could (possibly) be absence seizures, which my brother has. But obviously I'm not a doctor and haven't seen her.

I know getting to the doctor's is a pain around Christmas... maybe try to book one for a few day's in advance, or take her to a drop in/out of hours medical?

I hope she's ok, and it works out for you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need to take her to a doctor to get an accurate diagnosis and advice, if there are no appointments take her to a walk-in centre or try some of the other places suggested on this page.

Hope she's alright.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most doctors surgeries have "emergancy appointment" slots, so if you call first thing in the morning you can book one.
    My thoughts are on narcolepsy, but I'm no doctor and haven't seen her. Get her to the doctors asap, and they will find out. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Most doctors surgeries have "emergancy appointment" slots, so if you call first thing in the morning you can book one.
    My thoughts are on narcolepsy, but I'm no doctor and haven't seen her. Get her to the doctors asap, and they will find out. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
    Then you're thoughts are probably wrong. Leave the diagnosis to the doctor.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Then you're thoughts are probably wrong. Leave the diagnosis to the doctor.
    No need to be rude, it sounds similar to what happens to my narcoleptic friend. I already stated that I'm no doctor and haven't even seen the girl, and that they should get her to the GP.
    Again, I don't see why you feel the need to be rude.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No need to be rude, it sounds similar to what happens to my narcoleptic friend. I already stated that I'm no doctor and haven't even seen the girl, and that they should get her to the GP.
    Again, I don't see why you feel the need to be rude.
    Not being rude, it's just not at all helpful to throw random diagnoses in the air, he's obviously concerned about his sister and naming unlikely conditions is just going to make someone more anxious. Especially true if you have no medical training and haven't seen the patient.

Plus, it doesn't sound like narcolepsy to me.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not being rude, it's just not at all helpful to throw random diagnoses in the air, they're probably worried about there daughter and naming unlikely conditions is just going to make someone more anxious. Especially true if you have no medical training and haven't seen the patient.

Plus, it doesn't sound like narcolepsy to me.
    Well then we disagree, but I quite clearly stated that I'm not a doctor and don't know, it just sounded quite similar to something I'm actually familiar with. My post actually contained fairly helpful informtaion too, so there was no need for you to comment at all.
    It sounds like something I'm familiar with, so I pointed that out (while making it clear that I obviously don't know, and they she needs to get to a doctor asap).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well then we disagree, but I quite clearly stated that I'm not a doctor and don't know, it just sounded quite similar to something I'm actually familiar with. My post actually contained fairly helpful informtaion too, so there was no need for you to comment at all.
    It sounds like something I'm familiar with, so I pointed that out (while making it clear that I obviously don't know, and they she needs to get to a doctor asap).
    Just like to point out at this point that I'm a medical student, and of course I am familiar with this presentation.

It's unhelpful information to try and diagnose people on the internet, you know this and you've stated you're not medically inclined and that you don't know. So please, leave the diagnosis to the professionals.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just like to point out at this point that I'm a medical student, and of course I am familiar with this presentation.

It's unhelpful information to try and diagnose people on the internet, you know this and you've stated you're not medically inclined and that you don't know. So please, leave the diagnosis to the professionals.
    I HAVE left the diagnosis to the professionals, I was just making an observation. I'm perfectly within my rights to do so, so please leave me alone now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I HAVE left the diagnosis to the professionals, I was just making an observation. I'm perfectly within my rights to do so, so please leave me alone now.
    Yes, but no point in getting someone concerned about a chronic condition such as narcolepsy, especially when that's a highly unlikely suggestion and you clearly do not know better. You haven't exactly left the diagnosis to the professionals - you said it sounds like x, because you are familiar with it - therefore taking a stab at a diagnosis.

This argument isn't going to help the OP either, but it's a useful thing to point out for all threads like this.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but no point in getting someone concerned about a chronic condition such as narcolepsy, especially when that's a highly unlikely suggestion and you clearly do not know better. You haven't exactly left the diagnosis to the professionals - you said it sounds like x, because you are familiar with it - therefore taking a stab at a diagnosis.

This argument isn't going to help the OP either, but it's a useful thing to point out for all threads like this.
    I was making an observation, and made it clear that I wasn't diagnosing. Narcolepsy isn't something horrible to make the parent worry... I'm pretty sure the symptoms themselves are what's making them worry. Stop telling me what to do and leave me alone, I didn't do anything wrong.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was making an observation, and made it clear that I wasn't diagnosing. Narcolepsy isn't something horrible to make the parent worry... I'm pretty sure the symptoms themselves are what's making them worry. Stop telling me what to do and leave me alone, I didn't do anything wrong.
    I'm not having a go - just saying it's best to leave such observations out. It is most likely wrong and I don't think it is something the OP should be worried about, certainly not at the top of my list. But I'm not going to dish out advice and suggest anything I think it is, because if I'm wrong and the family/patient respond to this by perhaps looking it up on the internet and deciding it's not worthwhile seeing a doctor, then that is putting my career at risk let alone being highly unethical and dangerous.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not having a go - just saying it's best to leave such observations out. It is most likely wrong and I don't think it is something the OP should be worried about, certainly not at the top of my list. But I'm not going to dish out advice and suggest anything I think it is, because if I'm wrong and the family/patient respond to this by perhaps looking it up on the internet and deciding it's not worthwhile seeing a doctor, then that is putting my career at risk let alone being highly unethical and dangerous.
    Well that would be their own fault for ignoring all of the advice about GOING to the doctor. Thanks for the advice about not making observations, but I'll probably just continue to do what I like.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 21, 2011
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.