The Student Room Group

What is the reason that Wales is still the poorest region in UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What is education like in Wales?

How do they rank compared to other regions in GCSE, A level and university graduation rates?
Reply 21
Original post by Procerus
What is education like in Wales?

How do they rank compared to other regions in GCSE, A level and university graduation rates?

59 per cent of entries in GCSE Mathematics achieved grade A*-C. For English Language the percentage was 63 per cent and for Welsh (First Language) it was 72 per cent.

That's all I can find on GCSEs I'm afraid
Reply 22
Original post by Lewis :D
59 per cent of entries in GCSE Mathematics achieved grade A*-C. For English Language the percentage was 63 per cent and for Welsh (First Language) it was 72 per cent.

Where did you get that stats from? I thought the results would be a lot better considering how well funded the education and public services are.

For what year is that?

Any distribution between North, South, Mid Wales?
Reply 23
Original post by Herr
Where did you get that stats from? I thought the results would be a lot better considering how well funded the education and public services are.

For what year is that?

Any distribution between North, South, Mid Wales?

http://wales.gov.uk/topics/statistics/headlines/schools2011/110525/?lang=en
Reply 24
Original post by Maddog Jones

Wales can't survive on tourism and agriculture (it doesn't work for African nations and it won't work for us). Scotland is increasingly following the path of energy as its 'niche' in our increasingly connected world. England, obviously, has financial services. It's now Wales' turn to find its own place in the world, and build an economy on that.

There isn't any reason why a nation can't survive on just agriculture and tourism as their main sector of economy.

African nations, there are other issues that prevent it so, much of it to do with corruption and inefficiencies. Granted it would be far fetched to say Wales could rely on just that as their agriculture sector still has a long way to go before it could even be considered a raging success, too many ma & pa places.
Reply 25
Original post by Herr
Am actually in the midst of trying to compile a paper on this topic. Anyone else ever wonder why Wales is still the poorest region in UK?

This region was once the largest producer of coal, it is still one of the largest area for agriculture in the Kingdom, it is for the most part one of the best areas for tourism with some of the cleanest beaches in all of EU. Despite billions of pounds of EU money being invested, there is still relatively little to show. Even with the current Barnett Formula of allocation of finances, it still remains economically depressed.

During the boom times of the 90s and 00's much of UK had a housing boom with many homes going up as much as 250% even in areas that weren't exactly "rich" but somehow this boom largely bypassed Wales.

Birmingham, often thought as the area that is going through a decline due to the disappearance of heavy industries isn't really poor per say.

20 years ago, there were 2 Germanys, one was one of the richest countries in the world, the other was among the poorest countries in Europe, average wage of an East German was around a quarter of that of a West German, much of DDR was in industrial decline and for the most part there wasn't a working market economy. Today living standards in the former DDR is almost the same as someone from the East, very likely if you drive a new BMW 3 series, chances are it was assembled in a factory that is in Leipzig, a city of the former DDR, Leipzig has one of the best research universities in the world.

Wonder why Wales despite devolution has yet to show any real sign of improvement despite starting from a significantly better position.

In a word...tax. In less productive regions conventional taxation has a disproportionate impact because there's not as much wealth available to withstand the cost. To use an anaolgy, imagine if you were a smallholder living on the outskirts of an area working tax free but producing just enough veg to you and your family in a very basic standard of living, your life isn't great but you're getting by. One day the government step in and decide they're a bit short of cash and instead of taking it from the richer city they decide they want 20% of your annual produce, this causes big a problem because now you're unable to produce enough to survive. Unemployment creeps up, people begin moving into the cities and remaining inhabitents suffer from a lack of investment and a more stratified economy which in it's ownway raises costs even further (think transport, diseconomies of scale etc)

It's not just Wales, there are entire sections of the country being financially ruined by heavy handed governments who in all their wisdom decide that subsidies are the answer to the problems they create.

Perhaps it is because they are insisting on making all of their children waste time on a superfluous language which is, at this point, little above the level of a private code. If you learn Welsh, you can speak it to about 700,000 other people, almost all of whom speak English. If you learn Mandarin chinese, you can speak to 1.02bn people, most of whom won't speak english. Spanish will net you half a billion speakers, and french 128 million.

In terms of business, Mandarin gives you over 1000x the market, french over 180x

Maybe teaching welsh is not the way forward.

Also, the entire north of the country is as good as inaccessible to business as the mountains make haulage near impossible.
Reply 27
Original post by chrisawhitmore
Perhaps it is because they are insisting on making all of their children waste time on a superfluous language which is, at this point, little above the level of a private code. If you learn Welsh, you can speak it to about 700,000 other people, almost all of whom speak English. If you learn Mandarin chinese, you can speak to 1.02bn people, most of whom won't speak english. Spanish will net you half a billion speakers, and french 128 million.

In terms of business, Mandarin gives you over 1000x the market, french over 180x

Maybe teaching welsh is not the way forward.

Also, the entire north of the country is as good as inaccessible to business as the mountains make haulage near impossible.

The Welsh language course which the majority of pupils do was not included in the statistics. Plus keep your stupid opinions to yourself, they're actually quite offensive. Most Welsh speakers live in the South, anyway, not the 'inaccessible' North. Welsh is a part of our country which is why it's taught, it's not the only language taught too. Most Welsh schools teach three languages (usually Welsh or English (depending on where they come from) and two foreign languages, compared to the average 2 in England).
The Welsh language course which the majority of pupils do was not included in the statistics. Plus keep your stupid opinions to yourself, they're actually quite offensive. Most Welsh speakers live in the South, anyway, not the 'inaccessible' North. Welsh is a part of our country which is why it's taught, it's not the only language taught too. Most Welsh schools teach three languages (usually Welsh or English (depending on where they come from) and two foreign languages, compared to the average 2 in England).

My point is that the time used for teaching welsh could be used either for non-language subjects or for teaching a language more people speak, for example, Sicilian, Georgian, Norwegian, Balinese, Ewe, Lombard or Kazakh. The Welsh language should be available, but not compulsory, in schools, and the not inconsiderable amount of taxpayer's money wasted on bilingual signage and making other government resources bilingual needs to be cut. While I admire the determination to keep the language alive, it should not be coming at the expense of useful subjects, and definitely not at the expense of the taxpayer.

The point about how difficult it is to get to the north is separate and mostly based on actually going there on holiday. The mountains mean no dual carriageways, which makes haulage very difficult meaning manufacturing business is unlikely to set up there.
Reply 29
My point is that the time used for teaching welsh could be used either for non-language subjects or for teaching a language more people speak, for example, Sicilian, Georgian, Norwegian, Balinese, Ewe, Lombard or Kazakh. The Welsh language should be available, but not compulsory, in schools, and the not inconsiderable amount of taxpayer's money wasted on bilingual signage and making other government resources bilingual needs to be cut. While I admire the determination to keep the language alive, it should not be coming at the expense of useful subjects, and definitely not at the expense of the taxpayer.

The point about how difficult it is to get to the north is separate and mostly based on actually going there on holiday. The mountains mean no dual carriageways, which makes haulage very difficult meaning manufacturing business is unlikely to set up there.

I disagree. The national language should be compulsory and all signs should be bilingual and this is coming from an Anglophone. I don't think Welsh speakers should have to feel marginalised in their own country because 'there are more useful subjects'. :rolleyes:
I disagree. The national language should be compulsory and all signs should be bilingual and this is coming from an Anglophone. I don't think Welsh speakers should have to feel marginalised in their own country because 'there are more useful subjects'. :rolleyes:

Compulsory up to 14 is fine, but those do not wish to study GCSE Welsh shouldn't still have to attend Welsh lessons beyond that. Same goes for RS though. That time would be much better spent on another GCSE.
Reply 31
Original post by el pollo diablo
Compulsory up to 14 is fine, but those do not wish to study GCSE Welsh shouldn't still have to attend Welsh lessons beyond that. Same goes for RS though. That time would be much better spent on another GCSE.

GCSE Welsh 2nd language short course (the one most people do) is a joke anyway
GCSE Welsh 2nd language short course (the one most people do) is a joke anyway

Then scrap it. If you added up all the unnecessary courses people are forced to do, between RS, this, General Studies A-levels and the rest, you could probably fit in an entire extra subject of the student's choice.
Reply 33
Then scrap it. If you added up all the unnecessary courses people are forced to do, between RS, this, General Studies A-levels and the rest, you could probably fit in an entire extra subject of the student's choice.

No, it should be taught more efficiently, not scrapped. It's only fair that all Welsh-speakers have to study English until the age of 16 and all English-speakers have to study Welsh until the age of 16. Also, it was only one hour a week, so hardly a huge amount of time.
No, it should be taught more efficiently, not scrapped. It's only fair that all Welsh-speakers have to study English until the age of 16 and all English-speakers have to study Welsh until the age of 16. Also, it was only one hour a week, so hardly a huge amount of time.

The difference is that English is an essential language for living and working in the UK whereas Welsh is not. And if this, RS and some of the other things forced on students until 16 were dropped those hours could be used for another GCSE.
Reply 35
The difference is that English is an essential language for living and working in the UK whereas Welsh is not. And if this, RS and some of the other things forced on students until 16 were dropped those hours could be used for another GCSE.

If you live in Wales, you should have to learn the national language in my opinion. You may disagree, but there you go.
If you live in Wales, you should have to learn the national language in my opinion. You may disagree, but there you go.

There are two national languages. I have no problem with them both being compulsory up to age 14 but after that there should be an option to drop Welsh completely if you don't attend a Welsh language school because, as you said yourself, the GCSE short course is a joke. The time could be better spent elsewhere.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.
Reply 37
There are two national languages. I have no problem with them both being compulsory up to age 14 but after that there should be an option to drop Welsh completely if you don't attend a Welsh language school because, as you said yourself, the GCSE short course is a joke. The time could be better spent elsewhere.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

I don't think English is a national language, both are official languages. I'd regard Welsh as the national language though. The national language is the one which has symbolic value, like in Ireland. Despite the low amount of speakers Irish is called the 'national language', whereas English is regarded as the second official language.
Reply 38
very rural, no industry or big cities that have finance centres, most of the uk is poor compared to london anyway.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Roads are pretty poor in Wales it takes a long time to go anywhere- so why would people set up business there if it is a long way from money centers such a Birmingham and London.

Uh...we've got this thing called the M4, it links South Wales to London pretty well actually. It's no use for the north, but to be honest most businesses in London are going to want to be based in Cardiff, Swansea or Newport anyway in all probability. There's also a pretty decent train service from Swansea to London too. Birmingham is also incredibly easy to get to by train and road from all the major cities in Wales as well.

It's not easy to go directly from the south to the north by road or train, but coming into either area from England isn't hard at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending