The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Postgraduate Application 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by AcesLacy
do most of you try to get private accommodation? I found it quite difficult to find private accommodation when you're not in Edinburgh atm and have no way of visiting before September...

I'm from the UK so I'm going to take an overnight trip to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks to look at properties and create a shortlist of ones I'd be happy to rent. I'd prefer to have a few flatmates rather than living on my own though, so I may have to wait until later in the summer.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 141
Original post by Mystic123
I'm going to take an overnight trip to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks to look at properties and create a shortlist of ones I'd be happy to rent.

That sounds like the smartest thing to do. Good luck!

I just found those two links and thought they are quite helpful. Loads of useful information on how/when to get there, induction week, money, health... It also offers a checklist at the end
http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.91909!/fileManager/WelcomeA4.pdf

In case there are any international students here: http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.71889!/fileManager/International%20Arrival%20Guide%202012_v5.pdf
Reply 142
Yeah, I did. However, most wanted to meet in person... I've been told all the good rooms will be gone by the beginning of term so I decided to go with a room from a private landlord who 'specializes' in postgraduate accommodation for EU students. I actually found it through StudentPad...
This way I already have a room when I get there and don't have to 'waste' precious time at the beginning of the semester. Besides, I am somewhat of a control-freak and not having a room has made me very uneasy; I already saw myself hopping from hostel to hostel for three weeks, which really wasn't a happy thought for me :smile:

Good luck to you!

Yep, I saw those kinds of adverts on StudentPad. How did you do to reserve the room? Did you arrange a Skype conversation and then you paid for a deposit?
Reply 143
Original post by Nirvana86
Yep, I saw those kinds of adverts on StudentPad. How did you do to reserve the room? Did you arrange a Skype conversation and then you paid for a deposit?

I sent the lady an Email, she told me which rooms they still had, directed me to their homepage and told me if I were still interested I should fill out the contact form and then they'd get back to me. Unfortunately, I had to go to the hospital and was thus unable to reply for 5 days. Luckily, she had reserved the room for me - which i thought was very kind. Then I simply paid the deposit and got my lease in the mail.

What I like about this is that everything's already included (gas, electricity, internet, etc.). Also, they have cutlery, pots, pans and dishes so I do not need to get those too. Best thing: it's really close to George Square and the Gym :smile: The outside area is - supposedly - not the best (flats are in ex-local authority housing) but not unsafe; the rooms are furnished with IKEA and generally look quite lovely.
Reply 144
I sent the lady an Email, she told me which rooms they still had, directed me to their homepage and told me if I were still interested I should fill out the contact form and then they'd get back to me. Unfortunately, I had to go to the hospital and was thus unable to reply for 5 days. Luckily, she had reserved the room for me - which i thought was very kind. Then I simply paid the deposit and got my lease in the mail.

What I like about this is that everything's already included (gas, electricity, internet, etc.). Also, they have cutlery, pots, pans and dishes so I do not need to get those too. Best thing: it's really close to George Square and the Gym :smile: The outside area is - supposedly - not the best (flats are in ex-local authority housing) but not unsafe; the rooms are furnished with IKEA and generally look quite lovely.

Just sent you a private message! :wink:
Reply 145
Did someone apply for the Edinburgh Deutsche Post DHL Scholarship?

They were supposed to communicate the outcome during July but no news from the office until now.
Just offered a place at the University of Edinburgh for an MSc in Artificial Intelligence. Really happy about this. The conditions are pretty trivial as well: (a) scan of my degree certificate (b) English proficiency (c) second reference letter (the one I had uploaded did not comply with their format). Anyone else here that's been accepted for the same course?

It's been about two hours since I received the e-mail, and now I think it is time to start looking for accommodation.

Looking for something suitable for postgraduates. Private halls would be perfect. iQ is out of rooms, unfortunately. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Louis
Hi all, this thread is pretty dead so to get in touch with other new postgrads at UofE, join this Fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/305678176183353/
Original post by Elbonian
Looking to apply for either the MSc in Structural and fire safety engineering or MSc in Structural Engineering and Mechanics.

Can anyone shed some light on Edinburgh's Engineering school?

Also are masters degrees particularly competitive at Edinburgh?

Edinburgh's structural engineering area is quite good, with mixed lecturers. Some are downright weird, but Tim is a bit of a legend. The professor of structural mechanics (can't remember his name) is a genius but an immensely boring lecturer.

Research-wise, the facilities are good. They have a huge warehouse with up-to-date equipment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending