The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Postgraduate Application 2012 entry

Hi,
This may have been covered several times but I was just wondereing if who else was applying for postgraduate study, and also how they're finding the application process. And there probably should be a separate thread for postgraduate, rather than use the general one.

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I'm applying to Edinburgh too for the Msc in Applied Linguistics. So far I've found the EUCLID system rather intuitive, albeit thorough in what they ask you to complete -but I'm guessing that's how it should be. I've found other app systems like Lancaster's less demanding of information. As for the process itself: a handful, as it should be. But I like my chances. What are you applying for?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Hello

Course: Just got an offer for a place on the LLM for 2012.
Conditional upon a 2:1 minimum.
Reaction: Pumped but awaiting other schools from England and the Netherlands

I am a final year BCL in the University College of Dublin and applied at the start of November. Probably 5 weeks ago now. Not too surprised as I have been made to believe the competition is not too high for Masters programs anymore?

Anyone else out there doing LLM get an offer?
Original post by GalvinIRL
Hello

I am a final year BCL in the University College of Dublin and applied at the start of November. Probably 5 weeks ago now. Not too surprised as I have been made to believe the competition is not too high for Masters programs anymore?

Congrats on the offer! I don't know how it is for LLM's but I'm given to understand applying for an MA is still a bit of a rat race. And I'm an international (from South America), so it's tough!
Reply 4
Looking to apply for either the MSc in Structural and fire safety engineering or MSc in Structural Engineering and Mechanics.

Can anyone shed some light on Edinburgh's Engineering school?

Also are masters degrees particularly competitive at Edinburgh?
Reply 5
Original post by FrozenCharlotte
Hey! I'm applying to Edinburgh too for the Msc in Applied Linguistics. So far I've found the EUCLID system rather intuitive, albeit thorough in what they ask you to complete -but I'm guessing that's how it should be. I've found other app systems like Lancaster's less demanding of information. As for the process itself: a handful, as it should be. But I like my chances. What are you applying for?

Hi, thanks for replying. I was hoping I could ask you something regarding the application process, specifically the examples of written work. At what point during the application did you provide this, and could I ask if whether you were given guidelines as to a particular word count needed?
Original post by bretj89
Hi, thanks for replying. I was hoping I could ask you something regarding the application process, specifically the examples of written work. At what point during the application did you provide this, and could I ask if whether you were given guidelines as to a particular word count needed?

When I was gathering info on the admission requirements I just found that they asked applicants for a sample of written work that was produced within the past two years. I applied to the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Social Sciences and that is what they said. One thing though: when I asked another institution they told me the limit should be around 6,000 words more or less (I think the minimum was 3,000). But I found no such info in Edinburgh's webpage. Maybe you can still use those guidelines.

As for your other question, I uploaded the sample in pdf format in the document upload section before I submitted my app.

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Hi!

I'm an American student applying for the MSc Policy Studies program. Anyone else applying for this? How competitive are the Master's programs at Edinburgh?

Good luck, everyone!
Reply 8
I applied on Nov. 21 (application completed, all references submitted)
I must say I have mixed feelings about them.
First, I heard from them on Dec.2 and this is what I got:
Congratulations! I just wanted to let you know that I heard back from the Admissions Director and he’d like to make you an offer for the MSc Economics (Finance). There are a few checks that we have to do but I hope to formally issue the offer through EUCLID , our online system by the end of next week, if not sooner. Once the offer is issued, you should receive an automatic notification from EUCLID to let you know and you will be able to log-in and check if there are conditions to our offer.

"Great!" I thought to myself, "what a quick and efficient reply!"

Well, then it got frozen. There was nothing next week, nothing week after that. Two weeks later I have emailed them, asking "what is going on?" but received no reply.
Uni closed for winter break.

Then, suddenly, on Dec 25 (!) I got an email and an offer.
Offer is conditional on:
1) Getting a 3.25 GPA (2.1 basically)
and 2) Getting B+ or better in two subjects, Econometrics and Linear Algebra.

Now, this is strange. First, I never heard of offers including grades in particular subjects. My overall GPA was 3.89 and I thought it was good enough.
Second, and more importantly, I have taken both Econometrics and Linear Algebra in the Fall semester, and had the grades ready by mid-december, and they knew it, since the information about the subjects been taken in the fall is on the transcript and on the "courses taken" description I gave them, as well as on degree Audit.

Anyway, it would not be a problem if I did not get a B in Linear Algebra. B, not B+. Small difference, and yet it makes this offer technically void. I could have told them I was gonna get a B as early as Nov. 21, I knew it well enough based on my grades in the course to date, I was steady at 85% and only the final was left which is 20% of the grade, so even getting an A on the final would not have moved me above 88% total, which is a solid B. There is no curve for that course.

So, I knew I got a B well before they issued an offer. I am not sure, why did they not just ASK me?

I emailed them right away, on Dec 25, and got a response that "it does not mean automatic rejection, but they will have to sort it out with Admissions Director"
Have not heard anything since, do not know what to make of it now.

I am still surprised they issued an offer on a condition of something that already took place, instead of just asking me. My overall GPA is still 3.86, and I got an A in Econometrics and in all the other subjects this semester, so it's not like this B changed all that much in my overall performance. Weird. Now I do not know if I have an offer, or what?
Original post by janjanmmm
Now I do not know if I have an offer, or what?

Well no one on this forum does either. You may want to try phoning the appropriate graduate school admissions office.
Reply 10
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Well no one on this forum does either. You may want to try phoning the appropriate graduate school admissions office.

This is more of a rhetoric question, i.e. I am not asking, I am sharing the experience.
The question was "how they're finding the application process", so I am responding.

Honestly, I am not worried too much, since I have other applications/offers and Edinburgh is not my top choice, anyway. Now I am considering whether I should just reject it, and be done with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by janjanmmm
Now I am considering whether I should just reject it, and be done with it.

If you're not actually even contemplating coming then that would be the polite thing to do.
Reply 12
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
If you're not actually even contemplating coming then that would be the polite thing to do.

I agree with you, but I still have not heard from my top choices - Cambridge, LSE and UCL. I suspect that at least one of them will give me an offer, but until that actually happened I do not want to jump the gun. If non of them gives me an offer, though, I still would go to Edinburgh, hence my hesitation.
Reply 13
Anyone hear back recently? I'm getting so anxious!
Reply 14
Hey guys,

I'm applying to MSc in Artificial Intelligence. I've sent off the application over a week ago. I got an application confirmation email but no details on how to access MyEd or any part of Edinburgh uni's web portal. Does any of this ring a bell for anyone, just want to make sure this is normal for Edinburgh's application process and can stop worrying about sending off the application, never mind getting an offer (which would be fantastic) :smile:

Thanks
Mike
Reply 15
Original post by kaitlyne
Anyone hear back recently? I'm getting so anxious!

Hey Kaitlyne!
I got an offer last week for archaeology, only ten days after I applied!
Some programs may take longer than that though, I was really surprised at how quick they answered; I wouldn't be worried if you haven't heard back from them yet.

Best of luck!
xx Gab
Reply 16
Original post by GabrielleT
Hey Kaitlyne!
I got an offer last week for archaeology, only ten days after I applied!
Some programs may take longer than that though, I was really surprised at how quick they answered; I wouldn't be worried if you haven't heard back from them yet.

Best of luck!
xx Gab

Wow, congratulations! My offer from King's College London was similar...one week after I applied, I got an email saying that I had been accepted. I wish that Edinburgh would have done the same! I applied for the Policy Studies program, so hopefully I won't have to wait too much longer! Edinburgh is my first choice, so I'm crossing my fingers with this one...
Reply 17
Does anybody have experience in trying to haggle with Edinburgh? I need to prove my English language skills and handed in an outdated TOEFL exam (they're only valid 2 years, my results are going to be 3 years old but would actually fulfill the requirements). I studied a year in the US since I did the TOEFL and I'm actually quite confident that my command of English hasn't deteriorated. Besides, I even got a mail from Edinburgh saying that they have now lowered the required TOEFL points ... I'm not too keen on doing (and paying for) the TOEFL again, so do you think that I should try to convince them to accept it? (Queen's Belfast actually did ...)
Reply 18
Hello,

Today under my Outstanding Clearances "Work Sample" was added. I submitted my application over a month ago and was never prompted to send a work sample. How can I find more information about what they want from me exactly, or do you think they will email me in due time about it? Just freaking out a little as I thought I was all finished a long time ago. Guess I'll be spending some time writing then :/ Oh, and I am applying to the Film in the Public Space Msc.

Thanks so much
Reply 19

LLM Public International Law
Waiting also on NDE (Leiden). What's your course?
CM

Hello

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending