The Student Room Group

What did YOU do on your gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cutmeloose
got a feeling my gap year will turn out just like the first half of yours :frown:

You got to take the bad with the good :P i learnt allot of lessons in the first 6 months
Reply 21
Original post by MsChanandlerBong
WOW, this sounds incredible! How did you go about doing this/ did you sign up to be part of an organisation? :smile::smile::smile::smile::colondollar:

i know this is from last year but if could you let me know how you went about doing this?
Reply 22
I am currently in australia after having worked here for a few months. Next I will be going backpacking round australia, indonesia, south east asia, india e.t.c. from february until august ish with some friends. I would quite like to spend a month or so in France though, working, to try and learn more of the language.
Had to take a gap year for health reasons, so spent the first few months doing **** all. Have just secured a job, so will be spending the next 6 months saving up to go to America for a month or so during the summer :smile:
4 months- East coast of Australia, all of New Zealand and a month in Bali. Travelling was the best time of my life, I so wish I could go back and do it all again :biggrin:
Reply 25
I spent September and October applying for uni, working and volunteering. In November I went to Montpellier in the South of France for a month to learn French in a college there. I had an amazing time and got the chance to make friends with locals and live the French lifestyle. I'm planning on returning next month as I'm really bored since I've came home.
Original post by Antifazian
Worked in the UK - worked in Australia - Backpacked around Australia. Was Incredible.

I was thinking of taking a gap year, and doing the exact same thing as you. How long did you go for?
The only trouble I have is figuring out how much it'll cost me cause I don't know what I'll get up to out there, and I'll need to work in order to afford to go...
Original post by vienna_waits_for_you
I'm a girl currently in my last year of school, and despite having applied for uni 2012 entry I've suddenly decided to take a gap year - I need some time out.
Any good ideas as what to do or what structure I should take? I guess the initial plan is to work up until christmas to earn some money. I'd then like to go and work in france maybe to learn the language... I'd also love to see Ireland. Probably looking to save going anywhere too outrageous like scouring the rainforests or even Asia for later on in life when I'm a bit older.
Not bothered about doing anything by myself as long as it's feasible so all suggestions welcome.

I got a job (to help me pay through uni). Then I did 6 weeks volunteering at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Paid my parents a token rent and since most of my friends didn't go to uni or had already graduated we had a great time.
Original post by I'm Batman...
I was thinking of taking a gap year, and doing the exact same thing as you. How long did you go for?
The only trouble I have is figuring out how much it'll cost me cause I don't know what I'll get up to out there, and I'll need to work in order to afford to go...

I went for 6 months in total. It does cost a bit but if you work in the UK beforehand and save up as much as possible you should be fine until you can find a job out there. Definitely depends on what activities you want to do too, as bungee jumping, skydiving, scuba diving, boat trips etc. are all expensive.

I worked in the outback with rent and food included, so wasn't spending anything that I earned so at the end of it I had tonnes of cash saved up and could pretty much afford to do everything. If you worked in a city you would probably earn less as you'll have to pay rent, food etc. out of it and will probably be doing activities as you go along.

If you buy a Lonely Planet Australia guide book (one of the big, comprehensive ones not the smaller ones) it gives you hostel prices, food prices etc. and estimated daily budgets. It's more aimed at holiday-goers than backpackers though, so there are always ways to travel more cheaply if you're willing to be smart and sacrifice.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Sir Fox
Worked for the Red Cross in Africa for one year, teaching in a Ghanaian school and working for a small local NGO. Access was competitive since the program was funded by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.

hey ehhm . i know this is after two years but I'm sort of figuring out what to do during my gap year and this Red Cross thing seems awesome .. could you give me more details please ? Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by Conaura
hey ehhm . i know this is after two years but I'm sort of figuring out what to do during my gap year and this Red Cross thing seems awesome .. could you give me more details please ? Thanks :biggrin:

Sorry to say, but it's a program of the German government and as such open only to German citizens or permanent residents.

I was employed by the German Red Cross Society, but 75% of the costs (travel, food, accommodation etc.) were paid by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. The rest was funded by the Red Cross and a bit through donations I raised from friends and relatives.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Antifazian
I went for 6 months in total. It does cost a bit but if you work in the UK beforehand and save up as much as possible you should be fine until you can find a job out there. Definitely depends on what activities you want to do too, as bungee jumping, skydiving, scuba diving, boat trips etc. are all expensive.

I worked in the outback with rent and food included, so wasn't spending anything that I earned so at the end of it I had tonnes of cash saved up and could pretty much afford to do everything. If you worked in a city you would probably earn less as you'll have to pay rent, food etc. out of it and will probably be doing activities as you go along.

If you buy a Lonely Planet Australia guide book (one of the big, comprehensive ones not the smaller ones) it gives you hostel prices, food prices etc. and estimated daily budgets. It's more aimed at holiday-goers than backpackers though, so there are always ways to travel more cheaply if you're willing to be smart and sacrifice.

Good luck :smile:

Hey, really interested in this job you did in the outback.

Could you let me know how you found the job? Did you research online or do they tend to have ads in hostels?

Cheers
I went to Sierra Leone for 3 months with ICS - raised money and partly government funded, had the best time of my life and still speak to the people I lived with and met there today! :smile: Worked in a pub, Superdrug and then M&S fulltime until June, then went off to Thailand, cambodia and Vietnam for 5 weeks as ya do!

Sort of wish I spent more time travelling, but then again I would have gone to uni even more broke than I already had (depsite earning a decent wage for a steady 6 months! But then again living and working in London is expensive I think.
Reply 33
On a gap year now... keeping busy, doing everything I never had time to do!

Worked for 5 months as a special needs carer/nanny/au pair/temp nursery nurse. Loved it but I was working veeerryy long hours!!!

Just spent 6 weeks medical volunteering in Delhi... invaluable experience but I couldn't handle it!!!! I got seriously ill after about 4 weeks and had to come home :frown:. Recovering well now and it has changed me for the better... I am far less judgemental of everyone; vital for a career in medicine!

Now I am planning fundraising events in the UK: battle of the bands, triathlon, great swim and bake off.

Also planning on going travelling in Europe with a guy I met in Delhi. Any recommendations; we both love the countryside... thinking Amsterdam, Poland, Croatia, Slovenia, etc.?

Then I want to go back to Asia, either India, Nepal, Bhutan, Cambodia etc. for a holiday? Just for 2-4 weeks, any suggestions of good budget holidays? Possibly going with my mum!

Just do what you love... but don't go too mental because you're independent for the first time!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by dulciemae
I went to Sierra Leone for 3 months with ICS - raised money and partly government funded, had the best time of my life and still speak to the people I lived with and met there today! :smile: Worked in a pub, Superdrug and then M&S fulltime until June, then went off to Thailand, cambodia and Vietnam for 5 weeks as ya do!

Sort of wish I spent more time travelling, but then again I would have gone to uni even more broke than I already had (depsite earning a decent wage for a steady 6 months! But then again living and working in London is expensive I think.

Sounds fab... how did you get into ICS? Do you have to pay lots/apply well in advance? I have quite a few things planned but want to squeeze in more voluntary work/paid work abroad!!! Love working with children, families, the elderly, special needs kids etc.!!! Where did you go in vietnam and cambodia? Interested in more rural areas now... had enough of cities!!!! :biggrin: Which uni are you at now/what are you studying?
where are most people working, because i've been trying to find internships and am not finding it very successful
I'm on a gap year at the moment. :smile: Went travelling in Vietnam for once month, then found a job as a Christmas temp in a local department store to earn some money and have something to put on my CV. At the moment I'm au pairing in Italy (just outside Florence) which I'm loving. I get lots of time off to explore Italy (going to Venice next week for my birthday), I'm learning the language and I'm not having to pay for food or accommodation so it's not too expensive. I'm here until Easter and then hoping to find a family in France to au pair with for the summer.

Ideally I'd have liked to find an internship in publishing but I'm doing a modern language degree so I need to spend as much time abroad as possible so that I don't start university way behind everyone else. Unfortunately this is going to be a common theme throughout the next 4 years but I get to spend lots of time exploring other countries so I can't really complain.
Reply 37
Original post by vienna_waits_for_you
I'm a girl currently in my last year of school, and despite having applied for uni 2012 entry I've suddenly decided to take a gap year - I need some time out.
Any good ideas as what to do or what structure I should take? I guess the initial plan is to work up until christmas to earn some money. I'd then like to go and work in france maybe to learn the language... I'd also love to see Ireland. Probably looking to save going anywhere too outrageous like scouring the rainforests or even Asia for later on in life when I'm a bit older.
Not bothered about doing anything by myself as long as it's feasible so all suggestions welcome.

I worked, visited all my friends at uni then went to Antarctica and South America.
Reply 38
I spent 3 months backpacking and working in South eastern Europe (Balkans).

Then I spent over two months between Israel and Palestine. Couchsurfing, working and learning more about the complex political situations in both sides. Working as a hiking guide in the Negev Desert was a highlight.

Then two months in Egypt immersing myself in post revolution + coup Egypt.. Getting into some really sticky situations like Massive demonstrations, being arrested/ harassed by police and dodging the bombs! But I also got to do 4x4 desert safari for 10 euros in the Libyan desert and got my Padi open water for under 200 euros! Egypt was so ridiculously cheap!

Then I spent a further two months backpacking between Jordan (10 days) , UAE (3 days), Oman (3 , Qatar (1 day) Iraq (7 days) and Turkey (10 days) All via couchsurfing for free accommodation!

Been a busy year.. I did all of this on one trio with a budget of 3,500 euros. Now I need to make money and decide whether or not I want to go to uni... :P I don't think I'll be able to readjust to conventional life..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by owly1090
Sounds fab... how did you get into ICS? Do you have to pay lots/apply well in advance? I have quite a few things planned but want to squeeze in more voluntary work/paid work abroad!!! Love working with children, families, the elderly, special needs kids etc.!!! Where did you go in vietnam and cambodia? Interested in more rural areas now... had enough of cities!!!! :biggrin: Which uni are you at now/what are you studying?

Really easy! Applied online about 6 months before i wanted to go though, but thats by no means essential - i could not recommend ics enough - especially VSO as a partner. i had to raise £800, but baring in mind my flights, transport, food and accomodation and vaccinations were paid for is literally so worth every penny you might put in yourself or every little bit of effort it gets you to raise that amount (theyre not even that strictly strict about it either - as long as youve atleast tried a substantial amount) what have you got planned then? im currently stuck for things to do this summer! i cant find a more cost effective way of volunteering with ICS, which is gutting, as you can only do it once! maybe i just need to look further! I only spent about 4 weeks in both, which is literally no time at all! i went to Siem Reap (Angkor wat is a MUST see!) Phnom Penh and little barely known town called Kep in Cambodia and only Ho Chi Minh, Hoi An, Hanoi and Halong Bay in Vietnam - there was so much more to see but these were my sweeping pit stops! Hoi An was my absolute fave and another must see if you prefer rural, more interesting towns with character and the like. I'm at Leeds uni now, studying English Literature and Theatre Studies. Loving it but itching to travel again! What about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest