The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Genuine question here, not trolling.

What has happened at Arsenal, vis a vis transfers and squad quality since 2005? I just don't understand the dismantling of the quality squad that was, largely speaking, a top two/three one from 1998 to about 2005? Is it simply down to Wenger losing his touch in the transfer market? A lack of funds? A fervent belief in youth 'coming good' that hasn't quite paid-off? Or are other clubs, with their astronomical spending, to blame?

Am I missing something? Genuinely interested here, as I can't fathom why Arsenal have gone backwards in the last 6/7 years.
Reply 2181
The board are happy to come 4th every year collect their champions league money and do the bare minimum to keep that ticking over and pocket as much as possible where other sides go out and spend millions year on year also wenger decides players are worth far too much money far too soon and he get hamstrung with bad players on bad contracts which harms our ability to recruit even more. David Dein said if we bought a stadium we wouldnt be able to compete and wanted to go to Wembley and spend the money on players rather than a ground and its looking like he was right although I would have hated to have moved to Wembley
Original post by Jon of the North

What has happened at Arsenal, vis a vis transfers and squad quality since 2005? I just don't understand the dismantling of the quality squad that was, largely speaking, a top two/three one from 1998 to about 2005? Is it simply down to Wenger losing his touch in the transfer market? A lack of funds? A fervent belief in youth 'coming good' that hasn't quite paid-off? Or are other clubs, with their astronomical spending, to blame?

Am I missing something? Genuinely interested here, as I can't fathom why Arsenal have gone backwards in the last 6/7 years.

Three main reasons as I see it:

- The transition away from the 'invincibles' was too quick IMO.

- Financial belt tightening due to the new stadium helped usher in a new era in which our 1st team would be built around cheap inexperienced youngsters. Fabregas being made captain at the age of 21 says it all.

- Times has changed, money has grown in the game with more players being paid above £100k and the pricing of indvidual players in the transfer market has also shot up. Meanwhile, Wenger seems to be a man stuck in the past. He's principled, having a tight wage structure and rarely spends over £10mil on a single player transfer. I like all that, but in these days its very tough to compete with our hands tied like that, and the situation ain't improving with the rise of Man City.
Arsenal v Man Utd (and the reverse) always used to be my favourite fixture of the year that Spurs weren't involved in. 98/99 cup semi final replay, 6-1 in 00/01, Wiltord WUMing the home support a year later winning the league there and then, the catastrophic Barthez errors before that, the Veron Scholes league combo avenged by that miss by Giggs in the cup in 02/03, Keown serenading van Nistelrooy, the Battle of the Buffet, "shouting your mouth off you!".. Because Arsenal were so far ahead of Spurs in those days my teen resentment of them was more based on collective envy (with my Dad) rather than an actual rivalry as seems to be happening now. I was almost a part time Utd fan with this inherited envy.

Can't remember much else bar Arsenal winning both games in their first season at the Emirates, and the infamous 8-2 this year (Spurs' hammering by City was categorically not redeemed by that game, before you ask).
(edited 12 years ago)
Terrible.

Swansea absoloutely battered us.

Its clear we need players, our midfield was disasterous today, Walcock was terrible as per usual (Yes he scored, but that was all he did) Arshavin was out of steam after 5minutes, and Van Persie is getting no service, Ramsey as much as i like him had a nightmare, not the only time this season hes has one, and Bennayoun was annaymous. Scazhnesy was shocking aswell.
There wasnt one good posistive out of the game

:/
Original post by Bear_Grylls
Terrible.

Its clear we need players, our midfield was disasterous today, Walcock was terrible as per usual (Yes he scored, but that was all he did) Arshavin was out of steam after 5minutes, and Van Persie is getting no service, Ramsey as much as i like him had a nightmare, not the only time this season hes has one, and Bennayoun was annaymous. Scazhnesy was shocking aswell.

Miquel wasn't that good either. You gotta hope Vermaelen returns next week, because Valencia will tear Miquel to shreds
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2186
We're an average side. Our defence is weaker than it was last year and we have no midfielders, aside from Song, who are good enough to be starting games helping us challenge for titles. We wont buy anyone this window or the next. Wenger was apparently looking all summer and the best he could do were the panic buys in the very last week.

What do we honestly expect? The game against Utd will be awful and I hope we get creamed so questions are asked of the board and manager. Right now we are competing for 5th place and god knows what next year will bring if RVP doesn't sign an extension
Original post by Meus
We're an average side. Our defence is weaker than it was last year and we have no midfielders, aside from Song, who are good enough to be starting games helping us challenge for titles. We wont buy anyone this window or the next. Wenger was apparently looking all summer and the best he could do were the panic buys in the very last week.

What do we honestly expect? The game against Utd will be awful and I hope we get creamed so questions are asked of the board and manager. Right now we are competing for 5th place and god knows what next year will bring if RVP doesn't sign an extension

Come 5th, win champions league and therefore ensuring our place in it next year. Sounds like a happy compromise to me :borat:
Not to sound overly pessimistic, but I seriously doubt our chances of winning the Champions League. Not with this mediocre squad of players anyway. If Spurs keep their form going, they will finish above us as well. That will be painful; but will not be as catastrophic as missing out on a top 4 place altogether. City, United, Spurs, Chelsea are top 4 at the moment. Can we pip Chelsea to 4th? Also, we would have been in a much worst position had Liverpool didn't mess up with all their home draws.

The question here is whether or not Wenger will dip into the transfer market. Will another hammering at the hands of United next week force his hand yet again? If that is what it takes, 'pathetic' is the word.
Reply 2189
Original post by lcecil88
Not to sound overly pessimistic, but I seriously doubt our chances of winning the Champions League. Not with this mediocre squad of players anyway. If Spurs keep their form going, they will finish above us as well. That will be painful; but will not be as catastrophic as missing out on a top 4 place altogether. City, United, Spurs, Chelsea are top 4 at the moment. Can we pip Chelsea to 4th? Also, we would have been in a much worst position had Liverpool didn't mess up with all their home draws.

The question here is whether or not Wenger will dip into the transfer market. Will another hammering at the hands of United next week force his hand yet again? If that is what it takes, 'pathetic' is the word.

You actually thought Arsenal ever had a chance of winning the Champions League this year? :rofl:
Original post by Jordan_1
You actually thought Arsenal ever had a chance of winning the Champions League this year? :rofl:

It's not impossible.

Liverpool won it in '05 while missing out on the top 4.
Reply 2191
Original post by marcusmerehay
It's not impossible.

Liverpool won it in '05 while missing out on the top 4.

Yes but with Barcelona, as well as Real Madrid and Bayern Munich on top form it is very unlikely.
Original post by Mastermind`
This only means you'll be treating the Man Utd game like your cup final and TRYING SO HARD

Where they'll still lose due to a defensive howler(probably a corner)
Original post by internet tough guy
Come 5th, win champions league and therefore ensuring our place in it next year. Sounds like a happy compromise to me :borat:

I heard they did away with the rule, that the champions league winners auto qualify, after Liverpool won and came 5th. Sad times. Oh no actually the rule is they now give the winner the place of the lowest ranking qualifying team in the league. So only 4 from the league would still qualify. But still yh, Arsenal have another slim hope of qualifying if they miss out on the top 4.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jordan_1
Yes but with Barcelona, as well as Real Madrid and Bayern Munich on top form it is very unlikely.

Didn't everyone say that about Milan/Real/Chelsea/Juve that season?

As an aside, Benik Afobe has been offered a loan opportunity at Rangers when he returns from injury.

Reportedly he's hesitant as he wants to learn under the tutelage of Henry.
Original post by rockrunride
Arsenal v Man Utd (and the reverse) always used to be my favourite fixture of the year that Spurs weren't involved in. 98/99 cup semi final replay, 6-1 in 00/01, Wiltord WUMing the home support a year later winning the league there and then, the catastrophic Barthez errors before that, the Veron Scholes league combo avenged by that miss by Giggs in the cup in 02/03, Keown serenading van Nistelrooy, the Battle of the Buffet, "shouting your mouth off you!".. Because Arsenal were so far ahead of Spurs in those days my teen resentment of them was more based on collective envy (with my Dad) rather than an actual rivalry as seems to be happening now. I was almost a part time Utd fan with this inherited envy.

Can't remember much else bar Arsenal winning both games in their first season at the Emirates, and the infamous 8-2 this year (Spurs' hammering by City was categorically not redeemed by that game, before you ask).

Should I fill in the story, arsenal do fine then by march when they're about to win the league if they keep up their form they then crash and come 3rd due to liverpool being inconsistant (exception being when liverpool came 3rd and 09 when their team peaked) it then becomes a race between chelsea and united, where united more often than not win, although usually it is very close (besides last season when ancelotti bottled it)
Original post by Bear_Grylls
Terrible.

That's why we never played benayoun, yeah, looks like ian wright was 'wright' Arsenal are doing fine, but they need players to strengthen if they have the ambition of winning the league. Like I know I come up as a prick who hates arsenal, but lets be serious, injuries considered, this is a serious downgrade to your team last season, who was probably a defence away from winning the league. Arsene needs to pull it out of the bag, I honestly think chelsea have turned a corner, even with their unconvincing victories, so it's gonna be hard to catch up with them, city are too far ahead to slip up for you to get in front of them, tottenham are the real deal(if bale and modric aren't injured) and united with their team as crap as it is at the moment will win games in this league.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Didn't everyone say that about Milan/Real/Chelsea/Juve that season?

As an aside, Benik Afobe has been offered a loan opportunity at Rangers when he returns from injury.

Reportedly he's hesitant as he wants to learn under the tutelage of Henry.

Liverpool apparently got a goal that shouldn't have stood against chelsea, plus their team was quite good tbh. They just had the belief they could win, I think you can win it tbh, with a good draw. I reckon you can beat chelsea, milan will be tough, because they have a similar style of play to you and more experienced players but you have the better manager(no disrespect to allegri), you would need to avoid barca and real madrid though, I really don't see you beating them, munich, we'll see whether they are the real deal though, you should also watch out for inter, their style of play is arsenal's weakness, they could just park the bus for both games and win 1-0 on the counter, like the old chelsea games or the united games (besides the 8-2) ask barcelona in 2010 about it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lcecil88

wing back(preferably a utility one in the zanetti/john o shea mould), creative midfielder(3 midfield players competing for 2 positions is not enough as song will always play and diaby is forever injured), and a striker as cover for van persie, that's all he needs. Easier said than done, basically, money talks, he really needs to sort out the wage budget. Anyway, this result isn't the end of the world, you will still be above liverpool.
Original post by Jon of the North

Real madrid have been doing astronomical spending for years, yet they couldn't get to the quarter finals since makalele left until last year, it's not the spending being an issue. He has the funds, but refuses to use them because he wants to win in the cheapest way possible and make his brand of football, sadly this doesn't work that way, anyway arsenal aren't in a crisis, they said this about chelsea 2 months ago then we beat city and they all shut up.

Anyway, arsene is too stubborn to make a pricy marquee signing, it would show that his plan hasn't worked. He should just increase the wage budget to 140k a week. Then it would have worked.
Mata would have been at arsenal and not chelsea if that was the case.

Latest