The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7280
Original post by Nucleolus
I think I remember reading somewhere that he said he would prefer to play in La Liga rather than the Premier League; there were rumours circling that Real Madrid had taken an interest in him, but the only teams that have really been confirmed as being interested are Juventus, Man Utd, and Arsenal to an extent.

Even if Madrid did come in for him, would he really go there after seeing what happened to Sahin. The guy is quality but can't even make the bench there. Wouldn't mind if we make a bid for Sahin either.
Original post by Kevmeister
Yeah, there is a cut-off:

After this it's a warning for ten bookings, but a ban for five more cards.

Thank god that's been cleared up. So if we drop him for the QPR game and play him for the Man city game, providing he doesn't get a yellow, he should be fine for the rest of the season?

I hope I understood that correctly. :colondollar:

Original post by Birdman1234567
Wouldn't Goetze just stunt Wilshire's devlopment...

Not really. Depending on Wenger's plans, Wilshere could just play the box to box role as he did last season with great success. If he wants him to become more attacking, he can gradually introduce him into that role, a luxury Aaron Ramsey hasn't had.
(edited 12 years ago)
We NEED an AMC. Rosicky and Arteta are coming on 30, so we need depth. Plus great players insipire the future generation to be even better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Thank god that's been cleared up. So if we drop him for the QPR game and play him for the Man city game, providing he doesn't get a yellow, he should be fine for the rest of the season?

I hope I understood that correctly. :colondollar:

Well, there will be five games after the City one in which he can get booked, but yes, should be fine.
Original post by implus
Even if Madrid did come in for him, would he really go there after seeing what happened to Sahin. The guy is quality but can't even make the bench there. Wouldn't mind if we make a bid for Sahin either.

Sahin and Götze are very close friends, and apparently he's keen for Götze to join him in Spain, with Götze apparently urging Sahin to stay at Madrid, certain that he will 'seize his chances'; I get the impression that Götze wouldn't prevent himself going to Madrid purely based on what happened to Sahin. If Götze were to go, it would evidently be a deal that places emphasis on the future, since it would be difficult for him to get regular play ahead of Alonso, Ozil etc. The problem extends to Barcelona as well; they're not in need of another creative midfielder, and I can't see Götze being a regular member of the starting XI there.

It would be better for him as a player to play in the Premier League (or more specifically, play for Arsenal :tongue: ). All this being said, he has said that he's happy at Dortmund, with his agent stating that they wouldn't let him leave for less than €40 million. If Barcelona or Madrid do make an offer though, it would be impossible for Arsenal to compete with them.
I really doubt we will sign Gotze. He would cost a lot of money, which we aren't known for spending. Plus he isn't very keen on leaving Dortmund at the moment, Dortmund don't want to sell and Klopp and Lowe have advised him to stay where he is the moment.

I think Belhanda, Kagawa or Sahin are far more likely signings for that position.
(edited 12 years ago)
I like Marvin Martin.
Reply 7287
People talking about us challenging for the title remind me of good old 'Arry :rofl:

yes i know you were only joking
Original post by 419
People talking about us challenging for the title remind me of good old 'Arry :rofl:

I wasn't :cool:
Original post by Abbadon27
I really doubt we will sign Gotze. He would cost a lot of money, which we aren't known for spending. Plus he isn't very keen on leaving Dortmund at the moment, Dortmund don't want to sell and Klopp and Lowe have advised him to stay where is at the moment.

I think Belhanda, Kagawa or Sahin are far more likely signings for that position.

I agree; at most, we'll make an offer, but I highly doubt it would be enough to tempt Dortmund to let him go. I don't think Real Madrid or Barcelona will make any offers, and so it's most likely he'll stay at Dortmund for another season (which he has made no qualms against).

Kagawa has just entered negotiations with Dortmund for a contract extension, and Sahin will either stay at Real or return to Dortmund; Belhanda looks promising though.
Reply 7290
When was the last time we had this many English players? Frimpong (holds a British passport and represented us at youth level), Yennaris, Wilshere, Ox, Walcott and Gibbs

6 whole Englishmen... Damn
Marko Marin wouldn't be too bad.
Reply 7292
Original post by rhw
When was the last time we had this many English players? Frimpong (holds a British passport and represented us at youth level), Yennaris, Wilshere, Ox, Walcott and Gibbs

Jenkinson too.
Original post by rhw

And Lansbury (although I don't know how far his career will go with Arsenal)
Original post by 419

We should only be looking upwards though, 12 points with 8 games to go isn't so impossible, especially with City still having to play us at The Emirates and playing United three games before the end of the season. I'm talking about finishing 2nd and not winning the league btw..

It may be highly unlikely but I personally wouldn't bet against them capitulating, I certainly hope they do :coma:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7295
Original post by In2deep
We should only be looking upwards though, 12 points with 8 games to go isn't so impossible, especially with City still having to play us at The Emirates and playing United three games before the end of the season. I'm talking about finishing 2nd and not winning the league btw..

It may be highly unlikely but I personally wouldn't bet against them capitulating, I certainly hope they do :coma:

That's the thing, there just isn't enough games left. We need a 4 game swing against City which virtually means them not winning any more or maximum 2 games this season as we won't win all our games.

But we need the mentality of looking upwards amongst the player as cementing 3rd place is paramount. Iirc, if Chelsea by some fluke manage to win the CL, then 4th place gets relegated to EL and Chelsea get the CL place??
Reply 7296
Original post by 419
That's the thing, there just isn't enough games left. We need a 4 game swing against City which virtually means them not winning any more or maximum 2 games this season as we won't win all our games.

But we need the mentality of looking upwards amongst the player as cementing 3rd place is paramount. Iirc, if Chelsea by some fluke manage to win the CL, then 4th place gets relegated to EL and Chelsea get the CL place??

yes correct.
Really can't understand why so many opposition fans still think Koscielny is a poor CB.

Most of my friends all say the ONLY CB we have is Vermaelen.

Kos has been the best CB for us all season.

Although I guess its a good thing that he goes relatively unnoticed. Don't fancy losing him with the way he's improving.
Interestingly enough, according to the EA Sports Player Performance Index, we have three midfielders in the top ten; Arteta (4th), Walcott (6th) and Song (8th). All of whom are above Nasri (15th) who is just behind Etherington of Stoke.

:rofl:
Original post by Harvey121
Really can't understand why so many opposition fans still think Koscielny is a poor CB.

Most of my friends all say the ONLY CB we have is Vermaelen.

Kos has been the best CB for us all season.

Although I guess its a good thing that he goes relatively unnoticed. Don't fancy losing him with the way he's improving.

a few glaring gaffes from him doesn't help him win over critics - carling cup, liverpool og

Latest