The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I can't wait to see Podolski and RvP up top together next season :coma:
Reply 7501
Wenger banned for 3 games and fined €40,000 by UEFA :angry:
stupid
Original post by Overmars
I think Nasri is better than Cesc right now and he has incredible potential. But he joined the wrong club. If he joined Man Utd, Fergie might well have turned him into another Ronaldo. That's how much I rated his ability and I've been saying Nasri has more potential for years. I was more disappointed he left rather than Cesc, but there you go.

Both non-Arsenal players right now and I don't want either back (nor will they want to come back). We need a complete change of style.

You think Nasri is better than Fabregas? :lolwut:

Sorry but Fabregas defecates all over Nasri.

Regarding Wenger's ban, not going to say I'm surprised. Referee was incompetent but Wenger should've left him. Oh well.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
You think Nasri is better than Fabregas? :lolwut:

Sorry but Fabregas defecates all over Nasri.

I strongly disagree.
I strongly disagree.

Agree to disagree bro :borat:
I strongly disagree.

There shouldn't be an argument in the first place.

Fabregas is 100x greater than Na$ri:wink:
I don't think they can be said in the same breath really. Cesc was winning us games at 19/20. Nasri had a good year at 23. That's it really.
Reply 7508
Fabregas had a certain "world-class" presence about him which other teams respected and took notice. With Nasri, he probably would have reached that status if he progressed his career with Arsenal. At the moment, he is their French 'adam johnson'.
I don't really get the need for the stupid scoffing of genuine opinions. As Darth Vader 7 says, we can agree to disagree. I don't like Nasri and I would never want him back at Arsenal, so I have nothing to gain by defending his ability. Reputation counts for far much than it should with young Arsenal fans (of which I am one, of course). "I don't think they can be said in the same breath", yes, they can -- there's no need to be so prissy about it. I'm not having Cesc as some sort of untouchable Henry, Bergkamp-esque legend that you can't compare players of fantastic natural ability to.

And then you get these childish comparisons of 'winning us games'. What determines winning us games? Has Koscielny not won us games this year with fantastic defending? Or does it only count if he's wearing the captain's armband, is on the cover of Fifa and in the sense of assists and goals only....if so, Walcott has got more goals+assists than Iniesta over the past 2 seasons. Nasri plays a more defensive role now and did even last season. I don't think there is a gooner who can objectively say Nasri didn't out-perform Cesc last season. It might sound crazy, but I tend to place more weight on that rather than what happened a few years ago. Wilshere probably out-did them both despite having hardly any assists or goals. It's difficult to measure these things and not as clear cut as what the sky sports stats read.

For me, Nasri has more in his locker. Nasri had shown flashes of brilliance with his technique and the way he moves the ball -- against Porto, for example. Someone yesterday posted a video of Van Persie's goal against Liverpool where Nasri played a cross-field 50/60 yard pin-point ball. He has the vision, the passing range, he can definitely carry the ball better as a dribbler and he showed last season he can finish, scoring 15 goals. The way I see it, Cesc is more consistent with his passing range and his finishing (which it took him quite a few years to get the hang of). But I think Nasri's all-round ability is better and under the right manager could really become an elite player. Rather than being shoved out wide, if he got the ACM role for us that Rosicky has, he could've been amazing...assuming his head wouldn't have been turned by interest from other clubs -- which is no guarantee.
Someone woke up with their pants in a twist.
Reply 7511
I don't really get the need for the stupid scoffing of genuine opinions. As Darth Vader 7 says, we can agree to disagree. I don't like Nasri and I would never want him back at Arsenal, so I have nothing to gain by defending his ability. Reputation counts for far much than it should with young Arsenal fans (of which I am one, of course). "I don't think they can be said in the same breath", yes, they can -- there's no need to be so prissy about it. I'm not having Cesc as some sort of untouchable Henry, Bergkamp-esque legend that you can't compare players of fantastic natural ability to.

And then you get these childish comparisons of 'winning us games'. What determines winning us games? Has Koscielny not won us games this year with fantastic defending? Or does it only count if he's wearing the captain's armband, is on the cover of Fifa and in the sense of assists and goals only....if so, Walcott has got more goals+assists than Iniesta over the past 2 seasons. Nasri plays a more defensive role now and did even last season. I don't think there is a gooner who can objectively say Nasri didn't out-perform Cesc last season. It might sound crazy, but I tend to place more weight on that rather than what happened a few years ago. Wilshere probably out-did them both despite having hardly any assists or goals. It's difficult to measure these things and not as clear cut as what the sky sports stats read.

For me, Nasri has more in his locker. Nasri had shown flashes of brilliance with his technique and the way he moves the ball -- against Porto, for example. Someone yesterday posted a video of Van Persie's goal against Liverpool where Nasri played a cross-field 50/60 yard pin-point ball. He has the vision, the passing range, he can definitely carry the ball better as a dribbler and he showed last season he can finish, scoring 15 goals. The way I see it, Cesc is more consistent with his passing range and his finishing (which it took him quite a few years to get the hang of). But I think Nasri's all-round ability is better and under the right manager could really become an elite player. Rather than being shoved out wide, if he got the ACM role for us that Rosicky has, he could've been amazing...assuming his head wouldn't have been turned by interest from other clubs -- which is no guarantee.

Really though? I always thought he excelled as a wide player making those inside runs and taking his player on.

This video shows him in the CAM/No.10 Role, though it was pre-season and one could argue his motivation for playing in an Arsenal shirt.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/mr_renoog/videos/27/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hantheman
Someone woke up with their pants in a twist.

I'm not the one who is being so dismissive and precious about comparing two talented players. That's you. For the rest of the post, I explained why I think Nasri is a better talent. It's fine if people disagree, but to say there should be no comparisons doesn't really add a lot to any discussion, does it?
Original post by implus
Really though? I always thought he excelled as a wide player making those inside runs and taking his player on.

This video shows him in the CAM/No.10 Role, though it was pre-season.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/mr_renoog/videos/27/

He has a versatile skill set and he can do a decent job out wide but I think he's more suited to a central role. It was a similar situation with Rosicky -- for years he was getting played on the left/right (when fit), for the first time we've given him a ACM role and with a run of games, he's doing very well.

Interesting video though. The problem I think we've had for years is that too many players wanted to play in the same position.
22 points from our last 8 games?

............................chesney...........................
sagna.....koscielny.....vermaelan....santos
..............................song..............................
..........rosicky.......................wilshere........
walcott........................................podolski
............................van persie.......................
I can see where Syn is coming from.

It's a tough call between Nasri and Cesc. Nasri is probably the more natural footballer, but Cesc is more effective. Nasri is physically (strength and pace) superior to Cesc though.

I like Nasri alot, him and Benzema are the future of the France NT imo. Along with Ribery and Gourcuff, the french team could win the Euros.
(edited 12 years ago)
Wenger has stated that he'll appeal the CL suspension because he can't stand referees being 'untouchable'.

Do UEFA even watch the matches? Fine Wenger went overboard but surely they must start criticising the refereeing?

He was appalling to say the least.
Original post by T.Adams VI
I can see where Syn is coming from.

It's a tough call between Nasri and Cesc. Nasri is probably the more natural footballer, but Cesc is more effective. Nasri is physically (strength and pace) superior to Cesc though.

I like Nasri alot, him and Benzema are the future of the France NT imo. Along with Ribery and Gourcuff, the french team could win the Euros.

For me, Fabregas is the better player, but Nasri has much more potential than Cesc, and if he can develop that and realise it, then I can see him being superior. At the moment though, he's not having too great a season at Man City; if he had transferred somewhere else, like Man Utd, or wasn't as easily swayed by money and titles and stayed at Arsenal, I think we'd be seeing that potential fulfilled.

As for the France NT, Ribery is almost always a shadow of his Bayern Munich self when playing with the NT, but perhaps that will change with Blanc managing them [and if the French fans decide to cut him some slack]. Alongside Nasri and Benzema, I'd also put M'Vila and Remy in there, particularly the former; the future of the France NT looks pretty amazing tbh, and they do look strong for the Euros. Gourcuff I don't think is going to be playing; he's had a lacklustre season with Lyon [I don't think he's gelled with the club, and he's injured at the moment; whether he'll play for them by the end of the season is debatable], and Blanc would be taking a gamble with him. Such a shame because with all his potential he could've been one of the best players of his generation, I feel like his confidence has taken a drop since the WC 2010 debacle.
(edited 12 years ago)
French NT front four:

..Ben Arfa................Nasri................Ribery......
............................Benzema........................

:coma: :coma:

Latest