The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The new Wojciech Versus is out on arsenal player.
From WhoScored

Arsenal: With Aaron Ramsey starting this term: win ratio 48%, 1.65 goals scored per game. Without Ramsey: won 88%, 2.78 goals
Whats happened to Rosicky? Every week he is looking like the player he was at Borussia Dortmund. Really pleased with his form.
I've read around and it seems like Benayoun will start tonight, I have a bad feeling about this. Yossi is suited for the big games were we need defensive cover and better possession in the middle. Teams like Wolves will play defensive and we need Ox/Gervinho to stretch them as much as possible.

He deffo deserves a place in the first team but sentiments shouldn't dictate who plays and who doesn't.

Original post by doggyfizzel
From WhoScored

How much of those games did he play on the left side? How many of those games did he play in his favoured position but the team played without any LB or RB?

Stats can be misleading, I think if Ramsay was played instead of Rosicky (i.e, a straight swap) we wouldn't be that worse off. The simple fact is that Rosicky is having one of his best spells at Arsenal while Ramsay is in his worst form and that right now, Rosicky is the better player which means a) we would obviously be better off with Rosicky in the team and that b) this forces Ramsay out wide where he is useless but Wenger insists on it.
Original post by In2deep
How much of those games did he play on the left side? How many of those games did he play in his favoured position but the team played without any LB or RB?

Stats can be misleading, I think if Ramsay was played instead of Rosicky (i.e, a straight swap) we wouldn't be that worse off. The simple fact is that Rosicky is having one of his best spells at Arsenal while Ramsay is in his worst form and that right now, Rosicky is the better player which means a) we would obviously be better off with Rosicky in the team and that b) this forces Ramsay out wide where he is useless but Wenger insists on it.
I'm in no way saying he is a bad player, I wanted him at United. I personally think he is more talented than Wilshere. It was just a stat to show Arsenal performance with and without him. Whether that's due to burn out, or just poor deployment I don't know but its quite a marked difference.

Also
Laurent Koscielny: Has made the most successful tackles of all Premier League centre backs this season, with 78.
Original post by doggyfizzel
I'm in no way saying he is a bad player, I wanted him at United. I personally think he is more talented than Wilshere. It was just a stat to show Arsenal performance with and without him. Whether that's due to burn out, or just poor deployment I don't know but its quite a marked difference.

It is worrying because a lot of "Arsenal fans" have an ability to get their message across to players because of the internet and how disheartening it must be to see what people think of you, there isn't any patience anymore for players going through bad patches.

It is clear he isn't enjoying his football at the moment and while other players his age have formed a strong bond (Ox, Szczesny, Wilshere, Gibbs, Jenkinson) he doesn't seem to be a part of it. It would be a travesty if this causes him to question his future at the club after choosing Arsenal over United.

He was a United fan as a kid and if he does leave, there is no question in my mind we would regret it more than any other departure.
Yeah, I think the Ramsey stat is skewed by our poor performances at the beginning of the season and during the period where we had no functioning full-backs.

He might start today considering Rosicky is over 30 and can't play at the same intensity for a long period of time. If we lose/draw, I bet the majority of the fans will blame the Welshman regardless of whether it was his fault or not. Ridiculous but true.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Yeah, I think the Ramsey stat is skewed by our poor performances at the beginning of the season and during the period where we had no functioning full-backs.

He might start today considering Rosicky is over 30 and can't play at the same intensity for a long period of time. If we lose/draw, I bet the majority of the fans will blame the Welshman regardless of whether it was his fault or not. Ridiculous but true.

A few months ago he got death threats from some fans, didn't he? And some blamed him for Speed's death.

Despicable *****.
Nobody with any sense totally 'blames' Ramsey for any poor performances he has put in recently (in the limited time he has got). He has to take a little of the blame because he is incredibly wasteful. I don't think those failed flicks he does are a sign of arrogance and I'm sure he has a fantastic attitude but it's just poor play. You have to get the basics right first and foremost. But the issue is more to do with why Wenger is playing him on the left.

He's very young, he's playing his first full season and I'm sure he'll put in the hard work to improve. I haven't seen anything recently that suggests he will be a truly great player but he can be a good player. Same with Theo. That extra spark that you can see with Oxlade is missing but there's nothing wrong with having a player on, say, Arteta's level. I don't think anybody should write him off but nor should they place very high expectations on him.
Rosicky, Song and Arteta in the middle today.

kthnxbai
Original post by Kevmeister
A few months ago he got death threats from some fans, didn't he? And some blamed him for Speed's death.

Despicable *****.

I honestly don't remember him getting death threats or getting blamed for Speed's death by Arsenal fans. Maybe I missed it. Is that why he's not on Twitter I presume?

He gets abused by so many fans because they expect a 21 year old who just recovered from a leg-break to perform like Fabregas is doing now with Barca.
Reply 8451
COYG :arsenal:
Ramsey will be a good-average player in the mould of Carrick/Guti. Nothing spectacular, but definately someone not to be underestimated. We have Wilshere who will almost be worldclass within 3 years.

We don't need a team of egos. Ramsey is a descendant of Wenger's school of thought, he's physically strong as well. That will do tbh.
I honestly don't remember him getting death threats or getting blamed for Speed's death by Arsenal fans. Maybe I missed it. Is that why he's not on Twitter I presume?

He gets abused by so many fans because they expect a 21 year old who just recovered from a leg-break to perform like Fabregas is doing now with Barca.

Come on, that's hyperbole. He doesn't get 'abused' at all. The crowd have never showed the discontent they have with Theo, for example (and even Theo hasn't got 'abused'). If he ****s up a simple chance in the final minute to bury a match, the crowd will groan. It's the natural reaction. It doesn't mean he is getting abused.

Ramsey is well supported and will continue to be, but some fans might not rate him as high as others, and that's natural too. Nobody expected him to be as good as Fabregas. But they may have expected him to hold down a regular position in the starting line-up by now. As well as Rosicky might have done in recent weeks, Ramsey has also effectively been dropped...which is no disgrace, but it does show that he probably hasn't done too well.
Original post by Overmars
Come on, that's hyperbole. He doesn't get 'abused' at all. The crowd have never showed the discontent they have with Theo, for example (and even Theo hasn't got 'abused'). If he ****s up a simple chance in the final minute to bury a match, the crowd will groan. It's the natural reaction. It doesn't mean he is getting abused.

Ramsey is well supported and will continue to be, but some fans might not rate him as high as others, and that's natural too. Nobody expected him to be as good as Fabregas. But they may have expected him to hold down a regular position in the starting line-up by now. As well as Rosicky might have done in recent weeks, Ramsey has also effectively been dropped...which is no disgrace, but it does show that he probably hasn't done too well.

It is more to do with Twitter. Every time he's been named in the starting line-up this year, there has been so many abusive tweets about it. When Wenger named him for QPR, he was abused. After the game, it was worse because we lost. A lot of people blamed Ramsey for the loss even though it was quite clearly the whole team played badly. He's becoming a scapegoat when we lose now because we've been winning a lot without him in the squad. It's unfortunate that people aren't clever enough to realise him not being in the first team isn't a direct correlation of why we've been doing well.

I'm not saying the majority (wrong word to use in the previous post) are abusing him but there is a decent chunk of the fans who do blame him irrationally for the team's results.
(edited 12 years ago)
I personally think Arsenal play him too far up the pitch. I think he would be better in deeper role, especially based on his play for Wales. You say he is wasteful but the stats on his passing are only beaten by Arteta, he doesn't give the ball away as often as Song or Rosicky. Then you look at the chance he has created for you this season, again only RVP and Arteta better him.

Then again I don't rate Wilshere anywhere nearly as highly as some people here do.

I think this is the problem. Everybody expected him to take over that play making role from Fabregas effortlessly. We were spoiled by how good Fabgregas was for us and Ramsey isnt on that level yet. Very few players are.

The play making burden needs to be shared out amongst the whole midfield and there is evidence of that happening with Song chipping in.
Ramsey will come good, for sure. However, I fear that he may have lost some of his athletic dynamism since his leg break, a key attribute of his game. I mean, do you guys remember his performance against Olympiakos away in the Champions League? He glided all over the pitch, covering every blade of grass. He was the same in the game in which he suffered his leg-break too, against Stoke. Fortunately for him he didn't chiefly rely on his athleticism: he has good vision and an excellent passing range - though, admittedly, he hasn't diplsayed that too well this season. So his case isn't like, hypothetically speaking, an Obretan, or an example to closer to home, a Walcott. If these two players somehow lost their pace, their professional careers at the top level would be finished. You never know, he may regain some of the dynamism about which I've spoken with a sustained run of games. Indeed, one of our other players has done just that recently Rosicky. I think we all thought that before his renaissance that he looked lethargic and slow compared to his early days with us, after his long injury absence. But look at him now he looks as quick and as mobile as anyone. Plus, Rosicky's 30. Ramsey's 21. He has plenty of time.
(edited 12 years ago)
It is obvious to tell in a match that Ramsey slows down the play and has the shooting ability of Torres. But that is something that can be improved. He has bags of potential.

I don't know if he should go on loan to get more game time, but as fans we should get behind him.
Original post by jilebinator
tbh, Nasri is a joke, no respect whatsoever for arsenal.

Not defending Nasri, but Arsenal fans have showed no respect whatsoever to him too, so i see why Nasri is getting pissed off. Also, people are putting him in the position to say such things. The frustration is getting to him.

Latest