The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexsong
our ground was half the size of theirs though. at the end of the day the club has the resources to win trophies it just don't use them not to mention usmanov who offered to pay for Gotze

The main difference is the commercial side of the business.

Man Utd make a little more money in match day revenue
Man Utd make a little more money in tv (but this would be rectified if Arsenal were more successful)
Man Utd make double what Arsenal make in commercial deals/sponsorships etc. While a few deals will be expiring and Arsenal can renew on better terms, they won't get the same or better rates than Utd do nor the number of deals that Utd do. How many clubs are able to get a sponsor (and for a significant sum) for their training kit?
Reply 9421
Original post by Zerforax
The main difference is the commercial side of the business.

Man Utd make a little more money in match day revenue
Man Utd make a little more money in tv (but this would be rectified if Arsenal were more successful)
Man Utd make double what Arsenal make in commercial deals/sponsorships etc. While a few deals will be expiring and Arsenal can renew on better terms, they won't get the same or better rates than Utd do nor the number of deals that Utd do. How many clubs are able to get a sponsor (and for a significant sum) for their training kit?

Yeah I know all that but it isn't like we aint got a pot to piss in is it, more money could realistically be available and could probably have been available in previous summers of discontent
Yeah I know all that but it isn't like we aint got a pot to piss in is it, more money could realistically be available and could probably have been available in previous summers of discontent

My original point was that of Arsenal were spending heavily, they would not be the 4th richest. They achieve 4th on the rich list due to their restricted spending.

The likes of Madrid, Barca, are 2nd/3rd, inspite of their heavy spending
Reply 9423
Original post by Glow in the dark
Just out of interest, why has a Fulham supporter started our clubs thread?

To bring order to the chaos that is this thread.

Original post by jilebinator
He/She doesn't like to admit it but he/she supports Arsenal.

How dare you.
Is it just or me does it seem that every time we expect a win (against QPR, Wigan) we never do, and when we find a win very unlikely (Tottenham, Chelsea) we seem to win?

As an Arsenal fan I've learnt to never have expectations, anyway.
Original post by TotalLifeForever
Is it just or me does it seem that every time we expect a win (against QPR, Wigan) we never do, and when we find a win very unlikely (Tottenham, Chelsea) we seem to win?

That does seem to rather be the pattern this year, so I'm going to expect a loss this weekend. :yes:
I think we'll line up like:

Szczesny

Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Santos

Song Rosicky

AOC

Walcott RVP Gervinho

Benayoun won't be eligible so Gervinho should start given his responsibility defensively. With no Arteta I feel Rosicky will drop back with Song (unless Wenger decides to rush Diaby back into the first-team) leaving enough space for Oxlade-Chamberlain to have a really good go at Mikel - not sure Ramsey would be the right player to start this game.

Having Koscielny back is a big bonus, as long as Drogba doesn't decide to keep going over like a sack of ****, like he did last night.
Original post by Colonel.

How dare you.

Your not even denying it.

Fulham supporter by day, Arsenal supporter by night.
Original post by marcusmerehay
I think we'll line up like:

Szczesny

Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Santos

Song Rosicky

AOC

Walcott RVP Gervinho

Benayoun won't be eligible so Gervinho should start given his responsibility defensively. With no Arteta I feel Rosicky will drop back with Song (unless Wenger decides to rush Diaby back into the first-team) leaving enough space for Oxlade-Chamberlain to have a really good go at Mikel - not sure Ramsey would be the right player to start this game.

Having Koscielny back is a big bonus, as long as Drogba doesn't decide to keep going over like a sack of ****, like he did last night.

From what I have heard; Diaby is injured again.

I doubt Drogba will play, he should be rested for Barcelona. The will dispatch Torres which even Djourou will be able to handle.
Reply 9430
Your not even denying it.

Fulham supporter by day, Arsenal supporter by night.

Celtic supporter! But there's no Celtic badge on this poor site.
Original post by Colonel.
Celtic supporter! But there's no Celtic badge on this poor site.

Celtic supporter by day, Arsenal supporter by night.

There is an Arsenal badge. :wink:
From what I have heard; Diaby is injured again.

I doubt Drogba will play, he should be rested for Barcelona. The will dispatch Torres which even Djourou will be able to handle.

Coquelin may be fit enough to make the bench, in that case.
Bergkamp has been assistant manager at Ajax for almost a year now, he's moved up the ranks their very quickly. If his aviophobia is such a worry now, how come I don't remember it affecting him when he was a player at Arsenal?
Reply 9434
Original post by In2deep
Bergkamp has been assistant manager at Ajax for almost a year now, he's moved up the ranks their very quickly. If his aviophobia is such a worry now, how come I don't remember it affecting him when he was a player at Arsenal?

He used to either miss european aways or drive to them
Reply 9435
Original post by In2deep

I thought he did avoid flight at all costs when he was a player???
Original post by gunit123
I thought he did avoid flight at all costs when he was a player???

Can't remember :s-smilie:

He used to either miss european aways or drive to them

Do you know which games he missed and which ones he didn't? Would be interesting to see..
Bergkamp never played an away game in Europe unless he had enough time to drive there (or go by boat) without becoming too fatigued.

He used to play away games in France, Holland, North/West regions of Germany, and Belgium. Don't think he ever played in Spain or Italy.
Reply 9438
Original post by marcusmerehay
Bergkamp never played an away game in Europe unless he had enough time to drive there (or go by boat) without becoming too fatigued.

He used to play away games in France, Holland, North/West regions of Germany, and Belgium. Don't think he ever played in Spain or Italy.

Fiorentina away in 99 is the only one I know of in Spain or italy
Reply 9439
Yeh the Fiorentina one was pretty famous, can't remember others so far away though.

Latest